Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Why exactly are people against a LFG system?

So I hit 50 around 2PM on my new server as an Assassin. I went and bought the blue pvp set so Id have some starter gear and was also able to afford the battlemaster weapon so got that to help my DPS. I have been sitting in Fleet ever since spamming /1 for a group. Thats 5 hours with nothing, not even a partial group that fell apart, just nothing. Seriously why the hell are people so against a LFG system? Do people think its fun wasting their entire afternoon in Fleet trying to find a group?

I just logged into Rift. People always say "ROFL Rift is Dead" I queued up and was in a group in around 5 minutes...must be more active than this game. Just logged into WoW and was in a group even faster. Seriously does BioWare just want everyone to quit because 5 hours with no group is beyond unacceptable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bioware is releasing an LFG system in the next patch, this has been known information since pretty much release.

the majority of the hate for lfg comes from wow. it enabled trolls and douches to run wild, knowing they would receive no repercussions. some feel that the community has been irreparably harmed by this. im not saying this correct or incorrect, but it is a popular perception

To build a sense of community. Better question is: Why do you pay so much a month to play games online.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    the majority of the hate for lfg comes from wow. it enabled trolls and douches to run wild, knowing they would receive no repercussions. some feel that the community has been irreparably harmed by this. im not saying this correct or incorrect, but it is a popular perception
    So they oppose a LFG system and would rather spend hours trying to find a group?

---------- Post added 2012-05-09 at 07:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    Why do you pay so much a month to play games online.
    $45 a month is a lot? cant tell if serious. Thats one night of going to a bar.

Because they think a community still exists outside of guilds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    So they oppose a LFG system and would rather spend hours trying to find a group?[COLOR="red"]
    yes. and once again, i am advocating neither view, merely commenting on the situation as i see it

Quote Originally Posted by Gasper View Post
    To build a sense of community. Better question is: Why do you pay so much a month to play games online.
    Because there's a lot of community on dead servers.

LFG basically promotes playing by yourself. You no longer require help from a guild or players on your server to do content. You cant create friendships with players by sitting in a city all day waiting for a Q to pop. It becomes a lobby based game. When you are looking for players to do dungeons with in chat you get to know players on your server and they get to know you. You have more of a connection with your guild because you need those members to be active and you play with them more since your always doing dungeons with them. When players grow close they are less likely to unsub even if the game isnt for them.

LFG breaks up all this letting players play by themselves, Sure they talk to other players on their server and they talk to guildies but that doesnt create bonds needed to build a community. You need to go through trials together and grow on each other and that isnt done by talking its done by playing alongside other players. LFG destroys this and shouldnt be added if you want to grow your game. Sure its a nice feature but its anti-productive.

So they oppose a LFG system and would rather spend hours trying to find a group?[COLOR="red"]
    I can honestly say I've never had to spend "hours" trying to build a group. Sometimes, I think the people who do are the ones who are asshats to others so nobody wants to group with them. Not saying all of them are, but I wouldnt doubt many of them are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    LFG basically promotes playing by yourself. You no longer require help from a guild or players on your server to do content. You cant create friendships with players by sitting in a city all day waiting for a Q to pop. It becomes a lobby based game. When you are looking for players to do dungeons with in chat you get to know players on your server and they get to know you. You have more of a connection with your guild because you need those members to be active and you play with them more since your always doing dungeons with them. When players grow close they are less likely to unsub even if the game isnt for them.

LFG breaks up all this letting players play by themselves, Sure they talk to other players on their server and they talk to guildies but that doesnt create bonds needed to build a community. You need to go through trials together and grow on each other and that isnt done by talking its done by playing alongside other players. LFG destroys this and shouldnt be added if you want to grow your game. Sure its a nice feature but its anti-productive.
    OK thats nice and all but your method means I sit in Fleet like I have been doing for hours on end. When I log in I want to jump right into a group not wait hours in the hopes I MIGHT get one.

This sums up my complaint about LFG....

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    at least my feelings about LFG in WoW. Will it work better in TOR? I'd hope so, but only time will tell. I haven't been back to WoW for longer than a few minutes in months because of the distaste the LFG gave me. Since LFG is coming to TOR, let's hope it works better than it has in WoW.

The LFG that is coming to TOR will be server only, a lot of the people not wanting LFG is because they come from WoW where it's cross-server and people can be dicks with virtually no repercussions, so most of the people arguing against it don't really have an argument since that's their main reason for not wanting one.

Couple that, with Transfers which should shorten the server list a bit and liven things up, along with Cross-Server Normal and Ranked Warzones, and we should start seeing the game feeling much more alive.

All of that is coming with or before (in the case of Ranked Warzones) 1.3, which should be here within 6 weeks really - at least considering their statement about how it's going to be here quicker than we had to wait for 1.2 from 1.1.

OK thats nice and all but your method means I sit in Fleet like I have been doing for hours on end. When I log in I want to jump right into a group not wait hours in the hopes I MIGHT get one.
    i know but this is what a guild is for. Finding players that fit what you want to do. If you already have a guild and dont want to leave then try getting to know other players on your server and their guilds and run with them. It might look like lfg helps you but it does not help the server when no one knows each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post

This a million times.
    People just seemed "friendlier" before all of that was implemented, reputations actually mattered, and people who were the douchebags usually got it bit right back in their arse. Now it's a run wild do what yea want scenario thats been built out of lfg-My assumption

10+ Year Old Account
    in theory, i would guess people that have a problem with LFG are afraid it is going to follow WoW cross-realm model which as a by-product encourages people to act like tools and ninja everything without fear of earning a bad reputation on their home server. But as mentioned above, not only will it be introduced in the next major patch, but i believe it will not go cross server.

People against the idea of a LFG, are also afraid it will take away from 'the community interaction'...though if you're on a low pop server, where's the interaction?

Here are my thoughts:

As a casual player with very little time to play this game, I would much rather be able to find a group for a flashpoint with people that I will never see again than to never be able to run a flashpoint at all.

I can't wait for 1.3. It will (hopefully) open up another aspect of the game for me.

The LFG tool has become a necessary evil of today's MMO. You have a better sense of community without it, but that ship sailed once a more time-efficient way became available. If I have 2 hours to play, I'd rather not spend an hour of it looking for a group to complete the limited content available. SWTOR took it's grouping ques from Everquest, and totally skipped the past 10 years of innovation.

Because it "ruins" the "community". And yet, I can count on one hand the number of problems I had in groups from WoW LFD. Hundreds of runs and only a few malcontents. Apparently I've been "lucky". *rolls eyes*.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

To me, I think Bioware tried to listen to the people that didn't like WoW or at least the stuff they hated. Some people bitched and whined about LFD for example, so Bioware listened to those people, but guess what? The reality is the majority of people like it or just don't care either way. Of course that's my theory, whether it's right or not who knows. But LFG is a God send. I despised sitting around for hours spamming. WoW might have taken a step back in Cata, but it's still the best MMO on the market in my eyes.