Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    This new technology is FAR more than a server merge solution. Because WOW 2012 is simply TOO HUGE to be played on ANY single server.

I said earlier to open ALL this gaming content to groups you would need a 150K server. So clustering servers is the ONLY solution.
    This is far more evolutionary than you're making out.

WoW has always been run on multiple servers (Certainly Outlands and Azeroth (minus the Blood Elf bits ^^) are). The battlegrounds and dungeons/raids have been run on separate servers too. That's one reason why battle ground and dungeons were first to go cross-realm. They've also fire-walled you in those situations as they will in the new cross-realm world zones, as they're still striving to keep the different server economies apart.

The techniques they're using is a mix of the sort of thing that other MMOs have done for years (eg Age of Conan), ie splitting zones that become overloaded, and their own (as far as I know) technique for grouping up players from different servers. This is to be lauded but for me it's too little too late.

Quote Originally Posted by amdo View Post
    In my opinion it would work similar to lfg or lfr. You will meet people during your leveling time with a thought they are from different server and you won't meet them again. It surely won't help low-pop servers like mine to meet new people and play with them in the future. It would be nice if they make some quests more challening due to that change.
    Well if you really like those that your playing with from a different server, get there real id and group-up after words or in the future.. Real ID was made with that purpose in mind..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Also, not everyone on PvP server(s) seeks for target that could be camped - it's a lot easier to find PvP guild(s) from there which does Rated Battlegrounds.
    Yeah, that'll be interesting.

There are BGs, RBGs, Arena and designated PvP zones like Tol Barad.

They all give more action and better rewards. Why would anyone bother with world PvP, except bored kiddies who don't get enough homework from school?

Did hell just freeze over or is everyone here in MMO-Champion really happy about a new feature?

Quote Originally Posted by ct67 View Post
    This is far more evolutionary than you're making out.

WoW has always been run on multiple servers (Certainly Outlands and Azeroth (minus the Blood Elf bits ^^) are). The battlegrounds and dungeons/raids have been run on separate servers too. That's one reason why battle ground and dungeons were first to go cross-realm. They've also fire-walled you in those situations as they will in the new cross-realm world zones, as they're still striving to keep the different server economies apart.

The techniques they're using is a mix of the sort of thing that other MMOs have done for years (eg Age of Conan), ie splitting zones that become overloaded, and their own (as far as I know) technique for grouping up players from different servers. This is to be lauded but for me it's too little too late.

Well said...

Deleted
    Curious to know if they new zones will be like this from day 1. I am going to transfer my paladin after level 90 as I want to level with my brother. If MoP zones did have this, I could change now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes Dagon View Post
    Did hell just freeze over or is everyone here in MMO-Champion really happy about a new feature?
    Looks like it. I'm not a big fan of Blizz or the current direction of WoW, but I don't see this as anything but a net positive. Heck, if this goes well, maybe they'll even eventually bring back group quests.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    Yeah, that'll be interesting.

There are BGs, RBGs, Arena and designated PvP zones like Tol Barad.

They all give more action and better rewards. Why would anyone bother with world PvP, except bored kiddies who don't get enough homework from school?
    Because to make World PvP relevant again, blizz will have to tie some reward to it..
    How about making some 3 pvp sets...
    (1) You have the BattleGround Set, earned with honor points..
    (2) The World PvP set, which can only be bought with points gain from fighting out in the world (eg medals earned for killing players outside of the Bg's) &
    (3) The Arena Set, which you buy with Arena/Conquest Points..

As it is now, you got 3 levels of gear for pvp.. (low epic, mid epic & high epic), all they have to do is change how each is acquired..[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Last edited by Myrrar; 2012-05-11 at 05:44 PM.

Deleted
    Something else to consider: When I'm out in the world doing stuff, at least half the players I encounter are 85's - doing Loremaster and other achievements, or gathering mats.

At least half.

If you're a lowbie trying to quest, do you really want to run into a hostile 85, every few minutes?

On PvP servers this technology could drive even more lowbies to level exclusively through the dungeon finder.

I really do hope this is happens seamlessly and dont have to wait for loading screens or pauses in transition as it will rune the open endless feel of the game to me.

Wont this overcrowed expansion starting zones?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck-Shot View Post
    Because to make World PvP relevant again, blizz will have to tie some reward to it..
    Exactly.

And I doubt they will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes Dagon View Post

No lots of people are crying about, same people that cry about every new feature but keep on playing and keep on crying here. Sounds awesome to me, will be nice to level my monk in a world that feels populated even if it is a thousand other monks.

Stood in the Fire UnstoppableErasor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    would this count as crossing over in wow?
    Imagen some server fail and you accidently get moved over to a different server.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck-Shot View Post
    How about making some 3 pvp sets...
    (1) You have the BattleGround Set, earned with honor points..
    (2) The World PvP set, which can only be bought with points gain from fighting out in the world (eg medals earned for killing players outside of the Bg's) &
    (3) The Arena Set, which you buy with Arena/Conquest Points..

As it is now, you got 3 levels of gear for pvp.. (low epic, mid epic & high epic), all they have to do is change how each is acquired..
    I never understood this mindset that ppl have about world pvp. Do you honestly think people in Vanilla wow were doing world pvp before bg's came in for items? For me it was the thrill of war, battling against the enemy with my allies and trying to defeat the enemy; it was never about items or gold, it was for fun. The item introduction ruined the pvp, and some would argue that the bg's also contributed to the loss of world pvp.

What on earth is going to happen with rare spawns? I am going to be furious if there are 80 people in storm peaks all camping the time lost proto drake

Quote Originally Posted by diegoa View Post
    I really do hope this is happens seamlessly and dont have to wait for loading screens or pauses in transition as it will rune the open endless feel of the game to me.

Wont this overcrowed expansion starting zones?
    Nooooooooooo, if the xpac starter zone become over crowded the game then creates a new channel and port whoever come next to that channel..

And if you group with someone who is on another channel, you get auto zone over to there channel..

The Blizz exception to this is i don't think you can select the channel you want to be on, if you could do that you could avoid pvp on a pvp server, lol ..

The technique isn't new... Guild Wars had different channels for one area too...

Quote Originally Posted by papaz View Post
    yeah, that's why they feel need to make things like this. because WoW is so overcrowded.
    By that same logic. The people making GW2 must think no one will play there game if there adding features like this and the game isn't even out........../facepalm

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh wow, I love it! I really enjoyed doing the 1-60 zones once more, but most of them were pretty much empty, even on a high populated realm. Going to be so much fun doing low level PvP.

I wonder how this will work out if players from different realms have the same name. It could be that with the realm name added to it, that it would have another name-ID-ish thing..

Deleted
    sounds pretty great actually, but they made so many changes to the old world to ensure that anyone can solo anything that I can't see any obvious benefits from this.
    it could help with world pvp though, if they make more alterations to encourage it.