Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    It's one thing to not like a character but Stan Lee knew exactly what he was doing when he made Galactus. Galactus is meant to be extremely powerful. He's one of the 5 beings chosen to watch over the aspects of existence in each universe. His job is to provide universal equality so that necessity and vengeance don't overcome each other.

The nature of his job means he must be powerful. In fact, he's usually not strong enough. Galactus does a little planet eating on the side, but when he's called in to do his actual job he usually ends up being outmatched. I really don't consider someone to be a Mary Sue if they lose almost every important fight they're in.
    He loses because he's not the main character. It would be a very short and boring story if some unstoppable character just turned up and killed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    He loses because he's not the main character. It would be a very short and boring story if some unstoppable character just turned up and killed everything.
    There is no main character in Marvel. There is also no one story in Marvel, there are hundreds, possibly thousands. Galactus appears in few of these, as most conflicts are beneath him. The reason he loses is because there are legitimately bigger fish in the sea. He is far from unstoppable, even when his hunger isn't crippling him. He would also never kill everything, because that's not his job.

This needed Tom Bombadil.

It's one thing to not like a character but Stan Lee knew exactly what he was doing when he made Galactus. Galactus is meant to be extremely powerful. He's one of the 5 beings chosen to watch over the aspects of existence in each universe. His job is to provide universal equality so that necessity and vengeance don't overcome each other.

The nature of his job means he must be powerful. In fact, he's usually not strong enough. Galactus does a little planet eating on the side, but when he's called in to do his actual job he usually ends up being outmatched. I really don't consider someone to be a Mary Sue if they lose almost every important fight they're in.
    He's still a terribly uninteresting character just like every other large scale Marvel villain. They're more like forces for plot than actual characters (Galactus is, ironically, one of the few I can think of that is actually close to being otherwise, but he isn't), which I'm obviously not a huge fan of, even if it does work in that universe. It also means they're not a Mary Sue (I don't think any character here is, and the word is kind of being overused), but it does mean they're fairly boring, to me at least. It's half a step away from 'God.' At least Goku and Superman have human personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    He's still a terribly uninteresting character just like every other large scale Marvel villain. They're more like forces for plot than actual characters (Galactus is, ironically, one of the few I can think of that is actually close to being otherwise, but he isn't), which I'm obviously not a huge fan of, even if it does work in that universe. It also means they're not a Mary Sue (I don't think any character here is, and the word is kind of being overused), but it does mean they're fairly boring, to me at least. It's half a step away from 'God.' At least Goku and Superman have human personalities.
    Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. I find him interesting when he's actually up against things that can take him on. Much in the same way that I thought Superman/Supergirl vs Darkseid was somewhat interesting. (don't ask me why it's split into 3 parts for a 5 minute fight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsRlynQevA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAOY...feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbINs...feature=relmfu

And Darkseid is an even more powerful character than Galactus. Your analysis of Galactus' character isn't wrong though. and Darkseid is more of an actual character. I also agree that Mary Sue is a highly overused term.

Deleted
    Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to speak. I find him interesting when he's actually up against things that can take him on. Much in the same way that I thought Superman/Supergirl vs Darkseid was somewhat interesting. (don't ask me why it's split into 3 parts for a 5 minute fight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsRlynQevA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAOY...feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbINs...feature=relmfu

And Darkseid is an even more powerful character than Galactus. Your analysis of Galactus' character isn't wrong though. and Darkseid is more of an actual character. I also agree that Mary Sue is a highly overused term.
    I thought that Superman was meant to be completely invincible except when exposed to kryptonite or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    I thought that Superman was meant to be completely invincible except when exposed to kryptonite or something.
    Common misconception. His "invincibility" is just an energy field that blocks most types of attacks. It can be overcome with raw force though. He is functionally invincible to anything most people would be able to throw at him. For example, he once survived being at the center of a million nuclear detonations that vaporized a moon. He wasn't even hurt.

Darkseid is on a whole different level though from conventional weaponry and abilities. His Omega Effect is so powerful it's difficult to come up with a meaningful measurement that doesn't involve the word universe or numbers people haven't heard of. He pretty much literally punched out God with it once though. Even that video actually sells Darkseid short, as it doesn't accurately display the immense power increase Superman got from sun dipping, and up till that point Darkseid was toying with them.

Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    This needed Tom Bombadil.
    Tom Bombadil was obviously to amazing for the entire competition.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 02:52 AM ----------

Common misconception. His "invincibility" is just an energy field that blocks most types of attacks. It can be overcome with raw force though. He is functionally invincible to anything most people would be able to throw at him. For example, he once survived being at the center of a million nuclear detonations that vaporized a moon. He wasn't even hurt.

Darkseid is on a whole different level though from conventional weaponry and abilities. His Omega Effect is so powerful it's difficult to come up with a meaningful measurement that doesn't involve the word universe or numbers people haven't heard of. He pretty much literally punched out God with it once though. Even that video actually sells Darkseid short, as it doesn't accurately display the immense power increase Superman got from sun dipping, and up till that point Darkseid was toying with them.
    Which is why he is to much of an op mary sue for this contest, and I will only give him a vote if he is against a DBZ character because I hate DBZ that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    Tom Bombadil was obviously to amazing for the entire competition.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 02:52 AM ----------

Which is why he is to much of an op mary sue for this contest, and I will only give him a vote if he is against a DBZ character because I hate DBZ that much more.
    Is Mary Sue like your catchphrase lol? A lot of characters are OP. I think everyone that's going to read your posts is already aware of that.

Pretty sure you aren't supposed to fry and eat the entire fish, especially one like magikarp who likely has a hard, sharp set of back fins.

Is Mary Sue like your catchphrase lol? A lot of characters are OP. I think everyone that's going to read your posts is already aware of that.
    Not my catchphrase but it's true

Superman is mother of all Mary Sues

It's not even debatable everything that defines a Mary Sue is defined in Superman.

Not my catchphrase but it's true

Superman is mother of all Mary Sues

It's not even debatable everything that defines a Mary Sue is defined in Superman.
    That's ridiculous. The only thing perfect about Superman is his toolset. He's got, if anything, loads of personality problems, just like the majority of DC characters. His and Lois Lane's relationship is troubled basically every other arc. Hell, within the Justice League, I'm sure quite a few people actually dislike him quite a lot. I know Batman at least is pretty distrusting.

This isn't the 50s through the 80s anymore. Superheroes aren't gods.

That's ridiculous. The only thing perfect about Superman is his toolset. He's got, if anything, loads of personality problems, just like the majority of DC characters. His and Lois Lane's relationship is troubled basically every other arc. Hell, within the Justice League, I'm sure quite a few people actually dislike him quite a lot. I know Batman at least is pretty distrusting.

This isn't the 50s through the 80s anymore. Superheroes aren't gods.
    That doesn't mean he is not a mary sue. You put him through this test - http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm and unbiasadly answer each question, Superman will be a Mary Sue.

Heck Thrall is being starting to be considered a Mary Sue and he is a loads better than Superman ever was.

Trying to debate that Superman is not a Mary Sue makes me laugh since he is (and will always be) one of the biggest Mary Sues ever made, Goku is right up there with him.

That doesn't mean he is not a mary sue. You put him through this test - http://www.springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm and unbiasadly answer each question, Superman will be a Mary Sue.

Heck Thrall is being starting to be considered a Mary Sue and he is a loads better than Superman ever was.

Trying to debate that Superman is not a Mary Sue makes me laugh since he is (and will always be) one of the biggest Mary Sues ever made, Goku is right up there with him.

That test is basically one long way of saying 'don't insert yourself into the story, don't give your character amazing powers, don't have your character be overwhelmingly amazing at everything.'

It's also missing the goddamn point of what a Mary Sue is and why they should be avoided. Mary Sues wrap the entire story around themselves. Superman is inherently about the impacts, positive and negative, of his powers on the people around him, intimately, globally, and universally. That's the point.

Trying to debate that he is a Mary Sue is insulting to the entire medium of modern superhero comics. He's overpowered as hell because that is what isolates him from humanity. His powers are a plot device with real and believable implications, not some magic Jesus personality. He lives a human life with superhuman powers. I really don't like the guy at all, but it has nothing to do with him being a Mary Sue. Calling him a Mary Sue is calling Batman, Spider-Man and so many others just like him personality-wise Mary Sues. It sounds like the only reason you're differentiating him from them is powers, and powers don't make anybody a Mary Sue in a superhero story, especially in the greater context of the DC universe.

Also, note that again, I'm addressing modern interpretations of Superman. All of these heroes have had multiple writers and stories over the course of decades, and naturally, their role changes from arc to arc. The Mary Sue trope applies to one character's impact on one story.

Not to mention that test is horribly flawed anyway. You can't just punch a character into it and expect it to work, as many of the questions can only be answered by the author. Answering the questions to the best of my ability, Superman got a 31, slightly over the line for a Mary Sue.

Also, the way the test works is retarded, as every check box is worth 1 point. That means knowing a bunch of languages is worth 8 times more than super strength. And for reference, I used Earth-1 Superman. New Earth Superman lacks mind control, therefore he would score a 28, due to one of the sexual questions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im ashamed to say that I dont think I can participate in this thread because im not sure I know all the characters in it \

I shall come back in a few days after I have read up on the characters I am ignorant to lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Markluzz Superman is not a Mary Sue, not even close. Superman is about I'd say average intelligence. He doesn't always think things through. He has a good heart but not super intelligent. If he had Super Intelligence you MAY be close but still not enough. You've been going on about Mary Sue's for awhile. Honestly that term is so overused it isn't even funny.

I think you need to take a step back and chill.
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2012-05-24 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Unnecessary WoW comment
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    Markluzz Superman is not a Mary Sue, not even close. Superman is about I'd say average intelligence. He doesn't always think things through. He has a good heart but not super intelligent. If he had Super Intelligence you MAY be close but still not enough. You've been going on about Mary Sue's for awhile. Honestly that term is so overused it isn't even funny.

I think you need to take a step back and chill.
    While I agree that taking a step back and chilling is probably the best thing to do, Superman does have genius intellect. Doesn't prevent him from rushing the Anti-Monitor like a retard and getting owned, causing the death of his cousin who has to jump in and take the blast for him, scarring him mentally for years to come.

(slightly exaggerating about the last part but it's still funny to me)

While I agree that taking a step back and chilling is probably the best thing to do, Superman does have genius intellect. Doesn't prevent him from rushing the Anti-Monitor like a retard and getting owned, causing the death of his cousin who has to jump in and take the blast for him, scarring him mentally for years to come.

(slightly exaggerating about the last part but it's still funny to me)
    Geniuses sometimes do really outright stupid things. Supes has learned a lot from humans and especially other members of the JLA, both good and bad.

I have an urge to go revisit the two JLA series now... Kickass, especially for comic book cartoons. May not like Superman much, but the rest of the cast was awesome.
    Last edited by Caiada; 2012-05-24 at 05:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's ridiculous. The only thing perfect about Superman is his toolset. He's got, if anything, loads of personality problems, just like the majority of DC characters.
    So BASICALLY: We could just say anyone ridiculously OP and/or boring, matched up to a really awesome, but practically not as strong, opponent, but still have popularity vote defeat him, because of a mental breakdown because they ha personality problems?

Seems like THE way to just have people vote for whichever character is most interesting and just awesome, rather than "in a 1 on 1 fight X would win"

Seems reasonable to me.