Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Guild Wars 2 Movement and Camera - Feedback

First off, I like Gw2 and I played in the BWE and these issues occured to me. I know that this stress test isn't a new build but, I, upon playing again, have been prompted into writing my thoughts as I still feel the same way. Thank you for reading.

So there is one big thing that is putting me off GW2, and that thing is movement and control.
    I'm at the point where is actually becoming a little fustrating. I'm thinking to myself, 'Is this
    actually a bug because no one else seems to be complaining' I don't want to be the bad guy. I want to like
    Gw2 but I feel like I won't be able to get into it until the control is fixed.

Let me tell you what I mean. I know some people have mentioned it, and it really is making the whole
    game feel sluggish, really really sluggish. The camera, first off. It feels like a really slow, action game
    camera, perhaps one you would imagine on a console. Now thinking of how to compare the feel of the camera, I am
    reminded of Gears of War 1, and how everything just felt so...chuncky. Holding left click and moving my
    mouse to look somwhere, the camera feels like it's just very slightly behind where I'm pointing. However, that's
    not my biggest gripe. There seems to be some sort of 'Smart camera' effect. Holding left click and moving
    my mouse around, the camera seems to pivot oddly and it feels like there is some anchor that it's moving
    from. I can't exaclty put it into words, but it feels bad. I'm doing in game checks as I write this
    to better understand what I, myself, am trying to get at. The camera, when moving around my character
    seems to drop slightly in fps. I noticed a good way to evidance my point, when postioning the camera
    so you are looking down at your character, it all feels very slow, but smooth. It doesn't allow for fast
    reactions.

Now onto what I feel is the biggest problem. The movement. From idle to running, it takes a second to get
    going, when turning my character he seems to jitter slightly. This is more evidant when I PVP, as I hold both
    the right and left mouse buttons in to move, things get really weird. When pressing W to move forward and
    then at the same time pressing A and D it takes some time to starting running
    in the direction you are pressing. I just tried this in game, I ran straight on, then pressed D to move
    right, it was very slow and chuncky, but on the second time I did it, it went fast. Now my biggest fustration. Why on
    earth does my character move at a snails pace when strafing from side to side
    ? It's bewildering. On the topic
    of moving slow, my character seems to change speed at certain times. I've tested this out in structured pvp.
    I, as a Necromancer, will use my locust swarm to get a bit of speed and I've noticed sometimes I'm faster
    and sometimes it acts as though I haven't got the buff. (I had no conditions or anything.) After
    the buff to my speed I continue to run at an odd pace. After stopping and then begining to run again I will move
    at the intended speed. I've sort of noticed it's random. I'll be running up stairs very slowly, I'll stop,
    begin running again, and it'll be back to normal. I really don't think it's relating to fall damage, stuns or slows
    or anything as all of this was tested out of combat.

The camera and the general movement stop me from playing. I don't want to irritate anyone by bringing
    this up, but WoW's camera and controls are like playing with air. It's lightning fast! No unnecessary animations
    that add a sluggish feel to the controls. I want to like Gw2, but I cannot.
    Last edited by mmoc35b20e5c6b; 2012-05-14 at 08:26 PM.

The camera I can live with, the movement is badly done I think it may change hope so

And your are not the one. For those that dont wear rose tinted glasses its easy to see, but to be honest for alot of ppl that doesnt mater because the game has other strong points

I tried to see that when I played in the first BWE and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't. But a lot of people are talking about this clunky feel. It might have to do with computer specs? Maybe it's with specific monitors or graphic cards.

As for the movement, I've noticed that the time you need to get out of combat and resume "normal" speed is somewhat random. Hopefully that is just a bug.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahugani View Post
    PS: If you detect ANY irony or sarcasm in this post AT ALL, please report it to captain.obvious@youdontsay.com

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't seen any of the issues with the camera or movement that you are describing.

I think what this boils down to is that you are very familiar with wow, and you either can't or refuse to adapt to something new.

Oh and I can't help but notice you're only complaining about sluggish controls now during a stress test.

Maybe the problem is on your end?

The only issue I have with the controls are the few abilities that stop you in place when you use them, which should not be in the game period. The movement is different, I don't think it's bad though.

But I have can so no issues at all with the camera. It's exactly like it should be. I don't understand your slow action game analogy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    I haven't seen any of the issues with the camera or movement that you are describing.

I think what this boils down to is that you are very familiar with wow, and you either can't or refuse to adapt to something new.

Oh and I can't help but notice you're only complaining about sluggish controls now during a stress test

Maybe the problem is on your end?
    If you didn't just skim my post and read it fully, I clearly stated that the controls were the same during the BWE 1. Trust me, again, if you had bothered to read the post, you'd know that I'm trying to get used to it. I'd think it was on my end, but the sluggish controls really do not feel like a bug. If it is a bug...that's A LOT of bugs.

Just got a reply from Reddit.

'[–]Krimzon_uk 1 point 2 minutes ago
    Well not much to add to this other than I agree, have had the same feeling but find it hard to put into words, spot on with the Gears of War comparison. Trying to play as a nimble thief with the controls is very hard, side to side movemnt and camera rotation is very slow and clunky atm.'

Ipersonally did not have that problem, the camera pivoting I solved simply by increasing the mouse sensitivity. Walking, there is difference whether you use strafe to go side ways or walking side ways, one is slower than others. In general it took me a while to get to use to new movement, but once I got the hang of it there was no problems. I did not find it clunky though.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

i wish jumping felt/looked smoother

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh well then if "Krimzon_uk" from Reddit is on your side then I guess it MUST be true! /eyeroll

It's not a bug, you just don't like the controls and therefore can't enjoy the game. Sucks to be you.

Seriously, this kind of posting needs to stop. It's not productive at all. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-05-14 at 08:51 PM.

There is some inertia to the character movements, true - such as that it takes a character an additional moment to stop after you have released the button. Personally, I like it, as it adds the feeling of weight to the game. I believe that this annoys you because you are used to other games with less or without inertia. Didn't notice any problems with the camera.

P.S. These are only visual effects btw. The character is not any less under your control even if it seems so. The dodge is registered the moment your keystroke is delivered to the server, even if the animation appears a bit slower. This is really just a question of subjective preference.
    Last edited by mafao; 2012-05-14 at 08:47 PM.

I noticed the issue with the camera but was able to make it feel sort of normal by adjusting some stuff. Human movement/jumping and just their models as a whole did look sort of out of place. Were you primarily playing a human?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Oh well then if "Krimzon_uk" from Reddit is on your side then I guess it MUST be true! /eyeroll

It's not a bug, you just don't like the controls and therefore can't enjoy the game. Sucks to be you.
    Every forum has one of you. I've learned to ignore the trolls, so I won't be indulging in your games. Bye bye.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 09:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nerio View Post
    I noticed the issue with the camera but was able to make it feel sort of normal by adjusting some stuff. Human movement/jumping and just their models as a whole did look sort of out of place. Were you primarily playing a human?
    I was yes. I however did not notice any difference in any other races, but I could be wrong. I will check it out later, perhaps.

Deleted
    Sorry, but I can't place myself in this problem you have, I think the camera and movement works great. You sure it isn't just becase you're used to another games movement?

Quote Originally Posted by Baaltheron View Post
    I was yes. I however did not notice any difference in any other races, but I could be wrong. I will check it out later, perhaps.
    Yeah, Charr felt really smooth to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Sorry, but I can't place myself in this problem you have, I think the camera and movement works great. You sure it isn't just becase you're used to another games movement?
    I'm honestly wondering if that is the case, but it just doesn't seem right to me. I usually adapt to things easily, especially in game. It can often just notice slower controls in a game and bypass them because I know they are intended to work like that. I cannot however feel the same about gw2. :S

Edit: What leads me to believe these issues aren't intended is because I've noticed that sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, the controls will loosen up a bit. I wish it was easier to describe and less complex.

---------- Post added 2012-05-14 at 10:23 PM ----------

Right, well. I turned my res down to like 1200x800, turned off Vsync and a few other things. I went back on my human necro and things seem to be better, at least I think they are. I'm enjoying myself now actually being able to move. I still notice some sluggish things, but it's not as bad. Now...

trying to figure out what the problem is...

(Why on earth do you move at different speeds when running in different directions? Forward is normal, sort of...north east is fast and strafing right like to left is really slow. Why?)
    Last edited by mmoc35b20e5c6b; 2012-05-14 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baaltheron View Post
    I'm honestly wondering if that is the case, but it just doesn't seem right to me. I usually adapt to things easily, especially in game. It can often just notice slower controls in a game and bypass them because I know they are intended to work like that. I cannot however feel the same about gw2. :S
    Same. Whenever me and my guildies try a new game, at least a couple people have a similar issue with character movement/camera/basic controls, and I've pretty much been the one who isn't bothered by that stuff. This is really the first time I've been bothered by it.

Yea, the camera is not very snappy. Esp. noticeable when you mouse drive or 2button turn. Just not as crisp or quick as it should feel. Sideways movement is also a little stiff.

Deleted
    I also feel like camera is too heavy and its too close. I'm just hoping camera problem is due to the unoptimised graphics, so I hope it gets fixed. As far as distance is concerned in my opionion it really needs to be fixed its hard to play when you cant see enough space around you esp if you are trying to play a thief and shadow step places and so on it really ruins the feeling for me.

First thing if you want to "shadowstep" you need to move the camera so you can pick some far enough place on the left or rightif you and then takes some effort due to the heavy camera and then you dont see far enough so it makes you move camera even more.

I think i'll have to play some other class if things stay like this because managing thief is pretty hard. I'm far form the best gamer out there but I could manage wow and swtor but here I always feel that I need to think more ahead to pull off stuff I could pull off in wow or swtor imediatly.

Something feels wrong about the game atm thats for sure.

Deleted
    I really honestly have no idea what are you talking about. Both camera and moving feels incredibly fluid on par if not better than WoW. There is not even a slightest delay between you pressing a key and character moving.

Maybe it's a FPS issue for you? Game is far from optimized so maybe this is the reason?

The only problem I ever had was in WvW, trying to look up at people on the walls. The camera like gets stuck on the ground and on walls, it just acts kind of funny and not very smooth.

My biggest complaint though is about not being able to zoom in and out more.