Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    I agree with you on the camera. It feels like it's too slow when turning around, and lags behind. I'm more used to the WoW camera style where it stays exactly behind your character at all times, for example when you're turning your char by holding the right mouse button. In GW2 the camera doesn't stay in the same place (behind the character) when making a sharp turn using the right mouse button. It's kind of hard to explain, but I hope I got my message across.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had three concerns that I hope can be sorted out before the game goes live;

The camera does not pull back far enough for my liking, this seemed far worse with the Chaar than the human.

The movement from side to side was too delayed and felt more like a sweeping motion which cause me some issues when trying to quickly react during a fight so it’s my hope they can tighten this up a lot more before launch.

Being inside a building and trying to negotiate the turn seemed almost claustrophobic which I gather was worse due to the delayed reaction during a turn as mentioned above.

All in all the game looks fantastic and I’m totally on board but I really do hope they can get these things fixed before launch, not that they are game breaking to me but will definitely take some getting used to.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellfury View Post
    The camera I can live with, the movement is badly done I think it may change hope so

And your are not the one. For those that dont wear rose tinted glasses its easy to see, but to be honest for alot of ppl that doesnt mater because the game has other strong points

Fully agree, especially the part about the rose tinted glasses. There is clearly something wrong, which may only be a minor problem for some, but either way it's there. I really hope it gets sorted out, i'll be playing the game even if it doesn't get fixed, but it would be nice regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Now this will be usually the time I ask "did you even play this game" :P - I mean.. if I wouldn't know you I thought you're trolling.

There is no restriction like that in the game. Period. Next BWE I'm frapsing and I'll show you that (at least for me and my friends) there is no such issue.
    There is. You can't mouse drive as smoothly in the game. I am not sure what control setup you use, but I use the same method in every MMO to date that allows mouse driving. The camera will not snap if you are swinging the camera. The button press simply doesn't register.

If you feel the game performed to your liking, so be it. I felt the camera response was worse than other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is. You can't mouse drive as smoothly in the game.

If you feel the game performed to your liking, so be it. I felt the camera response was worse than other games.
    Couple things: I agree with this and think it's somewhat paradoxical that a game that rewards players who think/act fast doesn't utilize controls that allow said player to do so. Then again, maybe it isn't intended and/or it gets fixed before launch.

The other issue other people have mentioned that I really noticed yesterday (playing a warrior) is that certain abilities root you before they "fire." I press the hotkey, my character seems to stop and think about it, then performs whatever charge/spin i asked him to. This issue will straight up get you killed against certain mobs.

Deleted
    The camera has issues, However I haven't experienced any issues with movement whatsoever.
    I wish the camera could zoom in and out more.

Agree on the terrible sluggish feeling of the camera. It's hard to get totally immersed when everything feels so heavy all the time.

Scary thing is tho, that GW1 camera and movement behaves the same way, so there is atleast a chance that this is "working as intended".
    Last edited by Tristan Khan; 2012-05-15 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    I've talked to few more people from my guild and only one person experienced something similar as "heavy camera". For the rest of us it was very "snapy", the camera moved as smoothly as in FPS games while retaining access to every ability - for example I could perform very fast turn with camera wile activating grenade skill.

So next BWE I propose the following for the people with such issues:
    - report it
    - play around with vertical synch
    - adjust your mouse sensitivity
    - make sure you don't have any overlay software running (recording software, xfire etc)

I'm now 100% this is technical issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Stress Server Tests
    I played the BWE as well.

Also, you can't be serious?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the camera needs fixing, but the most frustrating thing I found was that strafing isn't as fast as running forward.

Deleted
    The movement is a bag of shit. At first I assumed it may be a problem with my computer, but after watching a number of Youtube videos, it's obviously just the way the game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    I haven't seen any of the issues with the camera or movement that you are describing.

I think what this boils down to is that you are very familiar with wow, and you either can't or refuse to adapt to something new.

Oh and I can't help but notice you're only complaining about sluggish controls now during a stress test.

Maybe the problem is on your end?
    Agree with this... I've played some of the various big names since I started in WoW during BC... None held a candle to WoW's movement and in fact I didn't hold too much hope for the movement in GW2... though I very badly wanted it to be comparable. By far, the movement in GW2 has exceeded my expectations. Perhaps you should try a smaller race when you roll, in fact, what race do you roll in wow?

I have fallen for the Norn which is a larger race and therefore more "lumbering" however, the realism of any of the races movement (any toons I rolled would shift their weight into the direction that they wanted to run in!) and the preservation of agility even for the larger races has been a wonderful surprise! For you, since you have pre-ordered I assume, I would suggest trying out a Sylvari or an Asura.

Don't get angst y, the game isn't even out yet!

Sorry if I have parroted someone else's post. I didn't have a lot of time to read the whole thread ^.^;

10+ Year Old Account
    There is. You can't mouse drive as smoothly in the game. I am not sure what control setup you use, but I use the same method in every MMO to date that allows mouse driving. The camera will not snap if you are swinging the camera. The button press simply doesn't register.

I dont understand what your saying, what do you mean by camera snap? the camera auto moves behined you just like any other mmo when you start moving.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 06:19 AM ----------

OP: To me the issues your having are very slight however i do think you need to know something.

1: The stop animations dont stop you from moving again, and they make sense uphil down hill etc.

2: why are you moving with the D key to turn when you said the mouse was what you use to move?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    I dont understand what your saying, what do you mean by camera snap? the camera auto moves behined you just like any other mmo when you start moving.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 06:19 AM ----------

OP: To me the issues your having are very slight however i do think you need to know something.

1: The stop animations dont stop you from moving again, and they make sense uphil down hill etc.

2: why are you moving with the D key to turn when you said the mouse was what you use to move?
    Like I said, only one of my friends had somewhat similar issue (slow/heavy even floaty move of the camera), but he countered that with mouse sensitivity settings and by turning off vert.synch.

The camera and character controls needs to be changed if Anet wants GW2 to succeed as an esport (which is an area they want to heavily focus on) as well as giving all players the best gaming experience possible. I really infuriates me when I read posts like "Derp, I don't feel like anything is wrong. The game is perfect and doesn't need to be like WoW, get used to it!!!". No matter how you feel about WoW (I, myself, am no longer a fan), you have to admit that Blizzard, at the very absolute least, nailed camera and character control. It is as close to perfect as you're probably going to get in a game. You always feel like you're in complete control of your character and everything is fast and snappy. It just works. Name me one esport PC game that utilizes floaty/sluggish/laggy/whatever-you-want-to-call-it controls similar to GW2. CS? No. LoL? Negative. SC2? Nope. Do you see the problem here?

I have to say I was pretty crushed when I first launched GW2 during the BWE. I had such high expectations for it and for such important core mechanics to be so awful, it was a very big letdown. Pretty much everything else about the game was amazing (well, aside from the engine's lackluster performance), so it's vert frustrating knowing that basic, core game design decisions is bringing everything else down. There was a fairly large thread on the beta suggestions forums about the issue, so hopefully ANet hears our pleas for change.

I'm pretty sure the issue occurs to people using mouse to move ONLY (apart from strafing)
    If memory serves me right the first tests of GW2 didn't even have mouse to move implemented (to me it also is a weird way of playing but meh) so it's quite possible they have driver issues with camera+m2m.

Also there's a start/stop run delay for the simple fact that if it wasn't implemented people would play GW2 like WoW: stand still nuke till random "voidzone" appears, move. Now being on the move has an upside. Same idea for strafing and it's a good idea imo, 100% speed running forwards 80% speed running backwards and 90% strafing comes across to me as logical.

I'm pretty sure this also happens in gw1 though.
    I do agree that you can't zoom in/out far enough though.

I really should fraps all the time I play so others can see I'm not experiencing issues but meh.

TLDR: try using keybinds, it should be a lot smoother. If you don't want to use keybinds, check your mouse options. After all that report to Anet (it's called Beta for a reason)
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2012-05-17 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasun View Post
    I tried to see that when I played in the first BWE and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't. But a lot of people are talking about this clunky feel. It might have to do with computer specs? Maybe it's with specific monitors or graphic cards.

As for the movement, I've noticed that the time you need to get out of combat and resume "normal" speed is somewhat random. Hopefully that is just a bug.
    I agree, I think people are probably just lagging from the graphics not being optimized because I don't notice anything sluggish at all. It's actually just as smooth as WoW imo..

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Sorry, but I can't place myself in this problem you have, I think the camera and movement works great. You sure it isn't just becase you're used to another games movement?

This is probably much of the problem.. in short, get used to it, because it is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    Being inside a building and trying to negotiate the turn seemed almost claustrophobic which I gather was worse due to the delayed reaction during a turn as mentioned above..
    I find this to be a problem in every mmo I play, I'm forced to zoom in very close to my character in small quarters because the camera just drives me insane zoomed out, camera smashing against every wall I run past.. if I am even picking up correctly on what you're talking about

I find putting the camera very flat helps a lot.

Yea, also the speed is too slow on zoom. I feel like I am cranking my mouse wheel forever.
    Which is interesting considering in GW1 the zoom was very fast as opposed to WoW or any other mmo I've played and I loved it.. I hope they fix that. Another GW trend seems to be not being able to zoom out that far, I hope they give you an option to increase the zoom.. or a command you can enter like in WoW to "cheat" the zoom cap.
    Last edited by Magdaer; 2012-05-18 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdaer View Post
    I agree, I think people are probably just lagging from the graphics not being optimized because I don't notice anything sluggish at all. It's actually just as smooth as WoW imo..

This is probably much of the problem.. in short, get used to it, because it is fine.
    No and no.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickz View Post
    No and no.
    Then I don't know what to say, it's fine to me, opinions are opinions. Either they change it or leave it the way it is. I don't really care :3 in the end it's up to ANet whether or not it's a real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanjin View Post
    Yes, the camera needs fixing, but the most frustrating thing I found was that strafing isn't as fast as running forward.
    I'm glad its like that since it helps balance melee vs range.
    Just takes a while to get used to.