Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can someone in more depth or detail explain to me what this mentor system is ? and Why Blizzard should ever implement it.

say you have been playing a game for years. you are maxed out, got awesome gear. Some friends join in and you wish to play with them, but unfortunately, all your character slots are used up, or you dont really want to make a new character. Sure, you could bring your max level butt with them, and trivialize their experience and the end up sucking, and they get 4 experience per kill. So, you make use of the "mentoring", and you drop your level down to equal your friends' characters. They now have to try, they get actual experience (150 or so per kill instead of 4). You get to keep your gear, but the stats are dropped down to equal what you would have at that low level.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Exhaust View Post
    Can someone in more depth or detail explain to me what this mentor system is ? and Why Blizzard should ever implement it.
    Rift's mentoring system allows any character to go from Level X (say max level, 50) to level 11-49. Enter an old zone you skipped and you can do the content without breezing through it as max level.

As there are zone events (and more) perpetually occuring throughout Telara, there's always the potential for a challenge at your disposal.

If you enjoy WoW, how much more fun would it be if all 3 billion zones were always level appropriate for you? Instead of looking at Vanilla, BC and Wrath content as outdated or too low level, you could automatically enter that zone and face quests or challenges as they were meant to be handled: as a level 35, 76, or whatever.

Deleted
    i checked all the videos at youtube from planetouched wilds and it really seems to be a very huge zone. it can easily split into 6 smaller zones, i even saw the places have different style,its not the same all over the zone.At one place the ground is green and at the other side is like desert/rocky. so it may be splited into 6 zones which one pf them will be a city.
    My guess!

Quote Originally Posted by KtN View Post
    This is absolutely amazing, Trion is being more flexible and agile than any other I can mention off the top of my head. This is progress, this is innovative, this is a game that is keeping up with the demands of its players and future audience as well.

That's not to say they never disappoint but dang it if they don't make the absolute best effort to get you the game they set out to make.

Take leaf out of this book Blizz and Anet!
    Are you kidding? It looks like Trion just looked at Guild Wars 2 productions notes and copied the mentoring and 3 faction PVP ideas of that game. Which is fine but it is far from innovative.
    Last edited by carnifex2005; 2012-05-19 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    Are you kidding? It looks like Trion just looked at Guild Wars 2 productions notes and copied the mentoring and 3 faction PVP ideas of that game. Which is fine but it is far from innovative.
    Mentoring in RIFT is not the same as scaling to the level of the zone content in GW2, and three faction PvP is not the same as RvRvR (and I'm not even going to get into the specifics of RIFTs Conquest feature). Learn a little about the features before you start bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Mentoring in RIFT is not the same as scaling to the level of the zone content in GW2, and three faction PvP is not the same as RvRvR (and I'm not even going to get into the specifics of RIFTs Conquest feature). Learn a little about the features before you start bashing.
    He's right about it not being innovative though. Cool, yes. Innovative, no. And while I'm not knocking the efforts Trion put in, because they do put in loads, there was more than a touch of hyperbole from the guy he was quoting. Again, you're being overly defensive here Tarien, he wasnt even bashing the game!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Deleted
    Wow, I mean, wow. Seriously, I think Trion stopped "just providing good content updates" and just went full on "let's humiliate blizzard more" .

I mean.. for a studio that has fraction of Blizz's earnings, it's simply impressive how much quality goes in to this game. It's really getting harder and harder to find areas where WoW is superior. I may be over-hyped here, but I just have this feeling that in last few months Trion done more for Rift than Blizz with his MoP for WoW. It's good to see a company that takes Blizz back to school .

Quote Originally Posted by russykh View Post
    He's right about it not being innovative though. Cool, yes. Innovative, no. And while I'm not knocking the efforts Trion put in, because they do put in loads, there was more than a touch of hyperbole from the guy he was quoting. Again, you're being overly defensive here Tarien, he wasnt even bashing the game!
    With specific features you might be right, but then what is truly new in any MMO produced today? RvRvR is not new, dynamic events are not new, no gear advancement is not new, but I don't go into GW2 forums and criticise them for stealing a bunch of ideas from elsewhere. What matters is how much there is to do, and the quality of the implementation.

What I do think is innovative is their work process and ethic, which leads to these amazing patches super-frequently. No one else has this kind of production time with the MMO updates, and the amazing part is that the quality is always top notch.

And you might not consider it bashing but if someone comes in pointing out all the negatives without acknowledging the positives, I feel inclined to correct that. It works both ways tho, I've made posts to calm down overly positive people before. Sure the guy he quoted was a touch excited, but I'd be inclined to forgive, it's exciting content!

Mentoring was an Everquest staple. Scott Hartsman and many other devs at Trion are former developers/producers of Everquest 2 & Planetside. Not to mention former devs of Mythic, creators of Dark Age of Camelot [the genre's defining 3 faction PVP] and Warhammer; on staff as well.

Guys, seriously.

It is very likely these are the sort of ideas the developers at Trion would have iterated on in a new MMO [Rift] regardless of Guild Wars 2 having down scaling or 3 faction PVP. Why? Because Trion literally have the developers who made those type of supporting systems in MMO 7-10 years ago on staff.

Deleted
    No they don't

Being part of the development of EQ2 is not being part of the 4horseman, you know, EQ2 the hunchback retarded brother of EQ that nobody likes.
    Being part of Mythic AFTER DAOC is the same thing, everything after that was fail after fail.

You know the B team...like the ones the gave us cata, and will give us MOP.

( i just felt this thread needed some bad karma) you know like a shot of insulin after posts like that of creepjack.

IMO who cares if it's legitimately brand new and innovative or not?

They're amazing features that are being put into the game AS PART of a regular update. That's awesome enough as it is. They seem to be designed well and will likely be pretty damn popular. I don't see the point in arguing whether or not they're "truly innovative" or not. Something doesn't have to be "truly innovative" or new for it to be awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    As the idiom says: "There is nothing new under the Sun"

Everything has been seen before so games "borrowing" or improving on another games feature(s) will always happen, end result? better for us, the player

Anyhow, onto more fluff stuff, as part of the Summer Swarms new Zone Invasion, when you deafeat a Life foothold, it drops a goodie which activates this temporary ability...

Time to conquer Telara with my mighty, eh, Ant army

Seeing all of the hard work and content that Trion put into this game seriously makes me want to resub. Haven't played since the month of release.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Seems the idea of level lowering is catching up. Very good, it should have a long time ago. That said, well done to Trion for implementing these changes as well.

Really, now to be honest I feel the area of MMOs is like this:
    WoW became a dominant force pushed by a powerful company, Activision-Blizzard. Then some other powerful company wanted a slice, EA and they made SW:ToR.

However, while these two fight blindly, smaller companies like Trion and ArenaNet make games with tons of improvements and it really makes you wonder if WoW and SW:ToR are actually improving enough or if they are simply resting on the fact they have powerful fanbases (one a 10+ years fanbase with the Warcraft franchise, and one the Star Wars fans). This is not an attack on WoW and SW:ToR, just find it odd that other smaller companies push out so much stuff at same or lower prices while Blizzard and EA just say stuff like "we don't have the resources".

Really good job Trion. I can't wait their other game coming out soon too
    Cross realm zones went completely over your head then? Let's not ignore facts on a fanciful basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Syridian View Post
    Cross realm zones went completely over your head then? Let's not ignore facts on a fanciful basis.
    3-faction PvP, dynamic events, 2-man content, separate 10 and 20man raids, instant adventure, complex multi-spec, mentoring, alternate advancement, leaderboards, master modes, veteran rewards... Do I go on?

Technically RIFT has a cross faction zone in the form of the new Conquest PvP feature, though I will concede that it is instanced. The technology is there tho I think, and I think that it is an awesome step in the right direction for all MMOs. Why be limited to a single server, just have lot's of phases, like in SWTOR or TERA, which different servers handling different phases, but the ability to swap at will to your friends phase.

Unlike you I won't be ignorantly bashing a game but saying well done Blizzard, it's been a while since something awesome was done, glad to see they still have some tricks up their sleeves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post

Unlike you I won't be ignorantly bashing a game but saying well done Blizzard, it's been a while since something awesome was done, glad to see they still have some tricks up their sleeves.
    Well they have the same trick up the old sleeve. The cross realm zones are just a small scale version of what DC universe online does. Pinching ideas from each other is great for mmos. I heap praise on Trion for the fact they release stuff most other mmos would horde for an expansion in quick content patches.

Just curious about this "RVR" pvp stuff does each faction have a boss to kill in each of the keeps or is it just boring player killing only with no rewards? I couldn't get to test it since it was too late for euros

Player killing. Presumably typical PVP rewards.

No they don't

Being part of the development of EQ2 is not being part of the 4horseman, you know, EQ2 the hunchback retarded brother of EQ that nobody likes.
    Being part of Mythic AFTER DAOC is the same thing, everything after that was fail after fail.

You know the B team...like the ones the gave us cata, and will give us MOP.

( i just felt this thread needed some bad karma) you know like a shot of insulin after posts like that of creepjack.
    Maybe you should do some homework yourself before bashing other posters. Hartsman was on EQ. Not EQ2 (though devs from EQ2 are on the Trion staff). And at least two of the devs from Trion were from the original Mythic team (when they were in Fairfax, Va and not owned by EA). Though the lion's share of the old devs from the original Mythic team are at Arenanet now (no real shock).

Point is the devs at Trion are some of the best out there at doing what they do. Look at encounters like Akylios (pre nerf), Laethys, and Rusila Dreadblade and tell me the last time WoW had an encounter that innovative. Its been awhile. Thats not a knock on the WoW team so much as its a complement to the Trion devs cause its darn tough to come up with something no one has done before. Firelands had a couple cool encounters that had some neat ideas. But prior to that the last time I saw something that was impressive truly from Blizzard in terms of content was the Arthas fight. And before that, Ulduar (in general awesome).