Poll: What would you pay to have this item on your character?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tigojones View Post
    Except that it is transmoggable. It's ridiculously rare, and I've only seen one person with it (about a month ago over a Gurthalak), but it's usable.
    And it should stay that way, people who earned the weapon by doing Naxx 40 should be able to say they actually did the content to get it (even if they were lvl 70, the place was still difficult unless you were geared out completely) rather than some nobody who never even heard of Naxx 40 walk up to the black market, and buy it for some gold.

I can understand why T3 is being brought back, it was a great set that very few people got to complete entirely, my brother still has only 3-4 pieces of his T3 sitting in the bank, and I am sure he would like to finally finish the set when he was unable to.

But something like the Corrupted Ashbringer is something that only people from the time it was relevant know its value. The fact that it was to be a legendary gives it alot more weight as an item compared to some random epic that dropped in Naxx 40. Not to mention the heavy retcon of the weapons history and its repurposing in WotLK.

The weapon shouldn't be allowed, because it is not supposed to be in player hands in lore to begin with, Blizz just allowed the players who got it to keep it for the sake of being nice. Putting it on the Ah does nothing but provide fan service for wannabes of a forgotten era of the game.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Sanction View Post
    think he means it like, why play the game just to buy everything with little effort.
    No matter how well I play I wouldn't be awarded with an Ashbringer, so I'd be pretty happy to buy it
    I'll never have enough cash to outbid anyone though

And what if you earned it in TBC... but then swapped main?

People seem to forget that currently, you can only bid up to 215k on an item, then it can no longer be bid up. If things dont change till or during live, you guys wont be dropping more than 215k on an item.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't pay for it, it looks like crap tbh.

I'll never understand why so many people freak out at keeping it rare for those that "earned" it. The damn thing was awarded on a whim. Nobody needed the weapon for practical purposes. (DK's didn't exist, if Paladins were raiding Naxx they weren't Ret, If Warriors were raiding naxx they were not Arms ect.) For that matter a lot of the people that got it as vendor trash just vendored the thing. Going crazy to keep it rare just serves the purpose of keeping it awesome for not the select few that obtained it at one point, but those with the random good fortune to just have it sitting in a bank for half a decade until Blizzard decided to make a "transmog" feature no one could have seen coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    I'll never understand why so many people freak out at keeping it rare for those that "earned" it. The damn thing was awarded on a whim. Nobody needed the weapon for practical purposes. (DK's didn't exist, if Paladins were raiding Naxx they weren't Ret, If Warriors were raiding naxx they were not Arms ect.) For that matter a lot of the people that got it as vendor trash just vendored the thing. Going crazy to keep it rare just serves the purpose of keeping it awesome for not the select few that obtained it at one point, but those with the random good fortune to just have it sitting in a bank for half a decade until Blizzard decided to make a "transmog" feature no one could have seen coming.
    You do realize that there was an entire questline planned out for Ashbringer that actually spanned up to level cap in Burning Crusade right? There is even an NPC in Terokkar that was going to be the person who restored the weapon when players who had the weapon were high enough level to start the quest chain for it. But the idea was scrapped for a retcon for a comic book explaining its history and how it would fit into WotLK's lore, falling into Tirion's hands at the end of the DK questing. Not to mention they thought it would be unfair for players to have a legendary when they level cap at the very start of an Expansion.

No one in their right mind would have thrown out this weapon, because no one knew whether or not the questline was going to be implemented, it was only until after the comic series came out that it became apparent that they abandoned the idea for the retcon. And even then, i feel sorry for anyone who was stupid enough to throw away something that very few people got to possess.

So what if no one will have it anymore? The time when it had meaning is done, let the people who actually farmed days on end for this thing have their just desserts for their efforts, rather than some new guy who plays the AH decide to add a small trinket to his collection, never realizing the sentimental value that people have for this once-to-be legendary.

I can understand why people want to have a few things from the old game, people who didnt get to finish something, or didn't get to obtain that set/mount/pet/etc. But Corrupted Ashbringer isnt even supposed to be in player hands, Blizzard could have easily removed the weapon from players who had it citing retcon reasons, but they decided not to, to reward people who actually obtained it by keeping something that should not be obtainable.
    Last edited by Lothaeryn; 2012-05-17 at 01:30 AM.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by TheButcher View Post
    Do i have to explain everything to you? I swear responding to your posts is like trying to feed a baby. Anyway, you get the idea... not attainable in game by conventional means.. IE: not an item drop off a boss or mob..
    I spit coke onto my monitor LOL that was one of the best burns I have read in a while
    you are not your class,
    you are not how much gold you have in the bank
    you're not the mount you ride,
    you're not the contents of your bags,
    You're not your f***ing epics
    you're the all singing all dancing crap of the world....of warcraft

Nothing because Priests can't use 2-handed swords, plus if they could, there are better 2h's I would rather transmog. Corrupted Ashbringer isn't very appealing to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    No because its a ugly model. People transmog it as a status symbol, nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    And it should stay that way, people who earned the weapon by doing Naxx 40 should be able to say they actually did the content to get it.
    We had 2 drop and both went to pallies (both of whom have quit now). Didn't I 'earn it' by learning all that content and clearing the same raid as the pallies week in week out? Saying just the people who got lucky enough to get it are entitled to it is pretty misleading and unfair tbh.

I have to laugh at the poll though, I could and would drop a million on it if it were an option (which is currently isn't), you're never ever going to see something like Corrupted Ashbringer go for under 50k if they list it, it will very likely always go for whatever the maximum bid is thanks to rich lore nerds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahlika View Post
    We had 2 drop and both went to pallies (both of whom have quit now). Didn't I 'earn it' by learning all that content and clearing the same raid as the pallies week in week out? Saying just the people who got lucky enough to get it are entitled to it is pretty misleading and unfair tbh.
    Yours is the common case of "tough luck" that almost every person has to deal with in this game. Did you put in the effort? Yes, you did.

Does that mean an item whose main background was heavily changed around, making that item a contradiction to lore if it were in player hands, something that anyone and their mother with a sack full of gold should be eligible to obtain? I don't think so.

Its not like everyone who played in Vanilla and BC didnt have the opportunity to get it, does that mean it should make a comeback? Not really, it serves no purpose other than to be a gimmick item for either players wanting a nostalgia kick or new players wanting in on the old generation stuff that was removed from the game, in either case I dont think either of them deserve it.

I played since vanilla just before the Honor system came into place, I had the entirety of the original game and the next expansion to go back and get it. Did I want it? OFC I did, does that mean it should come back because I want it? I don't think so.

People get lucky, faulting people for getting lucky in life doesn't mean everyone else is entitled to the spoils as well.

Once it's up on the AH, I will bid the cap, whatever it is.

People get lucky, faulting people for getting lucky in life doesn't mean everyone else is entitled to the spoils as well.
    If it's due to luck, why should it not be added to the luck-based list of the BMAH then?
    Nobody is entitled to the weapon, and nobody is entitled to be the sole bearer of the weapon either. If you're going to boil it down to "lol, RNG" then you might as well just go the whole way and say that it's Blizzard's game, they'll do what they want.

And they will, if that is what they want to do.

A hell of a lot of stuff in the game "serves no purpose" except to be cool, they're not going to stop doing things for that reason now.

I'll only buy T3 from BMAH, mounts and pets are all farmable, if they release something like this? I'll never be able to afford it either way so, go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makroskizhar View Post
    I would rather buy Ateish, Greatstaff of the Guardian, than Ashbringer... just me personally.
    You can't use it for transmog, since it's a legendary... and either way they'll never put legendaries on BMAH.
    On-topic - Us stave wielders wouldn't have a use for Ashbringer Would be funny to buy it and then youtube-destroy it.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mackenzie View Post
    Ashbringer should stay on Tirion's hand and Tirion's hands only.
    Indeed. Theres already too many lorelols with items in WoW. Blizzard should stop doing those. Examples: Ashbringer, Gorehowl and Skull of Guldan. All obtainable (or used to be) by players. Lorewise Ashbringer never left Naxx, Gorehowl is wielded by it's rightful owner and Skull of Guldan should turn the player in to a half-demon.

Quote Originally Posted by raist474 View Post
    No because its a ugly model. People transmog it as a status symbol, nothing else.
    I like the model though. Always liked it.
    Last edited by Kilpi; 2012-05-17 at 05:57 AM.

Be cool if it was up on the BMAH. I don't think they will though.

All these people on the forums adamantly against things being in the game. Pfft.

Man all these people saying it's ugly... IT'S ASHBRINGER! Besides I think it looks pretty cool.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 06:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kilpi View Post
    Lorewise Ashbringer never left Naxx
    Old Ashbringer lore got retconned.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2012-05-17 at 06:07 AM.

Yours is the common case of "tough luck" that almost every person has to deal with in this game. Did you put in the effort? Yes, you did.

Does that mean an item whose main background was heavily changed around, making that item a contradiction to lore if it were in player hands, something that anyone and their mother with a sack full of gold should be eligible to obtain? I don't think so.

[snip]

I think you're missing my point. I don't resent the people who won it at all, one of them I still keep in touch with even. However your original argument makes no sense. For a quick refresh that was:

And it should stay that way, people who earned the weapon by doing Naxx 40 should be able to say they actually did the content to get it (even if they were lvl 70, the place was still difficult unless you were geared out completely) rather than some nobody who never even heard of Naxx 40 walk up to the black market, and buy it for some gold.
    Now that is complete nonsense. I was making the point that saying only the people who actually got it deserved it when it came out of a raid of 40 people working together makes no sense.

It seems like you're contradiciting yourself to me. Is it luck now? Or is it people who deserve it and earned it? If it's nothing but luck then what's the problem with someone else having the oportunity to get lucky? That's how luck works afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    You can't use it for transmog, since it's a legendary... and either way they'll never put legendaries on BMAH.
    On-topic - Us stave wielders wouldn't have a use for Ashbringer Would be funny to buy it and then youtube-destroy it.
    It isn't a legendary, it was purple and is transmoggable currently for people who do have it.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2012-05-17 at 07:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahlika View Post

It isn't a legendary, it was purple and is transmoggable currently for people who do have it.
    I was quoting this guy. Atiesh is a legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by Makroskizhar View Post
    I would rather buy Ateish, Greatstaff of the Guardian, than Ashbringer... just me personally.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Borador View Post
    Not being able to afford an item on the Auction House is hardly a principle.
    I have 400k gold.
    I will not touch the system, just as I don't run outdated content of stuff I missed out on. My loss, don't care : principle of the thing.