Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    If you've played for only about four days, then to be honest, I wouldn't want you to be the tank or healer in a dungeon with me either. Even at level 15.

While most WoW players will consider low level dungeons easy, they're really a big step up from questing.

So I suggest you
    a) continue questing for a while.
    b) read up a little about dungeons and your class, such as the tank/healer/dps roles and which stats you need - nothing in-depth, just the basics.
    c) when you do a dungeon for the first time, go as dps, since that is easiest and least likely to cause a wipe.
    Dude that is when you take the new player and teach him how to play. I am sure the frist time you healed tank or dps you did not have someone tell you hey do this do that this is what i do on this pull CC this please. Your statement you did right there is what is wrong with wow I dont want to help someone who wants to play and Learn to tank or heal at low lvls. Reading web pages and knowing stats and stuff is ok but reading is not doing it. Reading only goes so far till something goes wrong. Learning to tank and heal at low lvls is the best way to learn to play the game i sooner have have wipes at low lvl then at max lvl it will make him a better tank or healer at latter lvls in the game getting it out of the way at low lvls.

I've been playing for around 4 years and I've seen my fair share of this but today in a random BG I encountered a particularly nasty player who was abusing our team despite the fact that we only lost the EotS by around 100 points. He said, and I quote "you c*nts need to learn how to work as a team" and to a further extent "i hope you f*ckers go die in a hole".

I think this kind of language is disgusting and of course I reported him but somebody who speaks like this in a game that many children play should be removed from the game permanently.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Not always true. If he gets into a dungeon that's already in progress, the timer is not always active and they can kick him immediately.

Keep your head up, it's choppy in the lower levels as far as wastes of life are concerned. Try to find a reasonable guild or a few friends who can support your experience as you grow in the game.

Good luck, don't give up because of a few loud mouthed children.
    I am not criticizing you and see that you are being helpful and positive, but the idea that you have say, "keep your head up; try to find a reasonable guild, good luck, don't give up" over a video game speaks volumes.

First thing, don't take anything anyone says to you in WOW to heart. Many players on WOW are low-level in life, by that I mean they're either kids or socially inept, its why they play the game. As such, they use the anonymity of the internet to be jerks and asses. They do it quite well since they likely have been trolled by jerks and take it as 'acceptable' when its not. Second, many people in the game have an internal need to be elitists. Its not that you are bad at what you do, they just feel they are entitled to insult you because they know some of the nuance that you will pick up given time.

My recommendation is to ignore these comments. Develop a thick skin when it comes to the internet, people are going to be pricks because you can't reach through the screen and punch them solidly in the face for making such asinine comments. When they bitch at you, say nothing, pretend their comments didn't get to you. If they are persistent, put them on ignore and you'll never be grouped with them again as Blizzard prevents you from grouping with ignored persons. Don't do it too often or you'll play hell getting into anything.

Don't let them ruin your fun.
    I'm rolling a Blunt Elf... That's a high-elf that likes to party.

Quote Originally Posted by Labz View Post
    I've been playing for around 4 years and I've seen my fair share of this but today in a random BG I encountered a particularly nasty player who was abusing our team despite the fact that we only lost the EotS by around 100 points. He said, and I quote "you c*nts need to learn how to work as a team" and to a further extent "i hope you f*ckers go die in a hole".

I think this kind of language is disgusting and of course I reported him but somebody who speaks like this in a game that many children play should be removed from the game permanently.
    You are assuming that such an individual is not a "child"... It's a fact that mature language is mostly used by immature people. Not to mention the usual "I'm better than you" and "This is everyone's fault, but mine" attitudes. I'm totally horrified at kids today, if anything, us adults should be protected from them!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing that you've only played for 4 days, you can't be any of the druids I encountered last week leveling my mage. That being said, you're obviously smart enough about WoW and the internet to find this site so use it to your advantage and do not be a bear tank or kitty wearing half int gear. I never said anything to the people I saw doing this, but sometimes I do (never mean though). In fact one bear tank I had last week had a full set of intellect leather BOAs, including the helm... that guy knew better and just wanted a faster queue.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Deleted
    dont let people draw you into their way of playing. You bought the game, take the time to discover and enjoy it. Reading 100 pages of texts before starting may be some people's idea of how to play MMOs, but for others it can just kill the enjoyment flat.

Remember that very little you do will 'break' your character like some other games. Just experiment and have fun. Also remember that its not that hard a game for the most part, you arent going to come up against really difficult challenges that cant be overcome by trying a few times. If people rage, then let them get pissed off, and not yourself. An intelligent person would realise that spending a few minutes communicating a strategy to the party is far more efficient than raging then wiping again.

Dont be afraid to ignore them, there is so many players in WoW you wont miss them in the future. Also consider rolling on a roleplaying realm, unless you really ont think you would enjoy light roleplaying. People are generally much nicer there.

Anyone asking this, must have very little experience from IRL.

The bigger the community, the more bad behaviour becomes visible. You then make sure to only hang out with good people. Same in-game. People thinking GW2 will lack this type of community are fools, seriously. If it becomes a big enough success, it'll get the fair share of bad apples as well. People are nasty, this does not come from playing a certain game or watching certain movies or listening to certain music.

10+ Year Old Account
    Internet tough guys who forget that they were in the same situation once. If you need any help PM me and I'll give you my Real ID, would be happy to answer any questions you have about the game.

The dungeon part is the funniest. Every one of the old content dungeons can be solo'd or 2-manned with BoAs, so the gear of the other 3 in group is not even relevant.

Regardless of what people here tell you to try and keep you playing/make things better: No it really doesn't change or get better.

It's just how the game is now, my ignore list is constantly evolving. Best words of advice are: Have some tough skin or don't bother.

Also, fill some of these out in advance:

Last edited by Ebbikenezer; 2012-05-17 at 01:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Komie View Post
    They still say Cata needs a lot of work, and this expansion (edit for reference: MoP) is in the final stages.
    Quoted for... truth? on 11/30/2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleze View Post
    but I find that everywhere I go, especially if I try to test the waters of the PvP battlegrounds or once (never again) a dungeon... everyone is really quite mean about my stats etc.

"LOL a 15 druid. You're no use to anyone, just leave."
    "Your stats are awful. Just leave."
    "AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Look at this noobs stats"
    etc etc ad infinitum

And It's just so demoralising and simply crap. The first time I attempted to play a dungeon I got voted out before we'd even started. It's just ruining the game for me in terms of the multiplayer aspects...
    Here's the thing that makes me thing something is wrong with what you're saying:
    If you're level 15 and you queue up for a random dungeon, you're going to get placed with other Level 15 (or around there) players. So right off the bat, I seriously doubt anyone is saying "LOL a 15 druid. You're no use to anyone, just leave." I call shenanigans on that one.

Also, their stats and their gear will likely about the same as yours. So it's not that your stats are lesser than anyone else's. The only thing that could set them off like that is if you are taking the wrong stats. Like, for example, if you picked the Feral Combat talent tree but you're using gear with Intellect instead of gear with Agility. You need to know what stats you want for whichever talent tree you chose at level 10.

Aside from that, I have serious reason to doubt what you're saying actually happened. I've leveled multiple characters and I've NEVER seen anyone inspect another player's gear in low-level dungeons as far down as Level 15, and I've never heard guildmates mention that they saw someone else do it. Doesn't happen. I think this is a troll post.

---------- Post added 2012-05-17 at 09:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Labz View Post

If you don't like it, turn on the mature language filter. It's also up to the parents of the other children that might be playing to make sure their kids' mature language filter is also on.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleze View Post
    Hello all!

I am definitely a confirmed utter noob at this game. I've been playing something like 4 days, and I am admittedly not remotely good at it; but I am having a world of fun learning and playing.

Though it's not probably the most ideal or easiest for someone as inexperienced, I chose to play a Night Elf Druid because that really is what appeals to me the most. I've been going around and trying to enjoy it, but I find that everywhere I go, especially if I try to test the waters of the PvP battlegrounds or once (never again) a dungeon... everyone is really quite mean about my stats etc.

"LOL a 15 druid. You're no use to anyone, just leave."
    "Your stats are awful. Just leave."
    "AHAHAHAHAHAHA. Look at this noobs stats"
    etc etc ad infinitum

And It's just so demoralising and simply crap. The first time I attempted to play a dungeon I got voted out before we'd even started. It's just ruining the game for me in terms of the multiplayer aspects...

So... I guess I'm looking for maybe some sort of affirmation that it's not always like that? That at some point it gets a bit better... or... when you were a noob were you 'abused'?

Nice to meet you on such a sour tone. I'm Sean, and barring that, I love this game. (why did it take me so long to consider trying it out?!?!)
    Well I don't think it has anything to do with WoW in particular. its just the internet and people think they can be rude and hide behind anonymity. However, you have to realise unlike other Multiplayer games you are directly affecting someone else's time. In CoD you can do what you want as its only your time. However, if you queue as a tank and are stacked with intellect and spirit, you ain't going to be in for a smooth run. A geared healer will probably carry you however, if the healer is new as well or new to healing the entire group is in for a long run. I hate having to spend long time doing something that is basically considered newb proof.

You are given an entire description of your class when you chose it. You should know what gear you should be wearing or at least some knowledge of the class before you create one would be recommended.

honestly from experience I've had Paladin tanks who do not use a shield and simply use a 1-H weapon. So it can be quite frustrating when a 15 mins run takes about 45 mins to complete. I recommend new players have fun on their own time. Avoid queueing for important roles as a healer/tank at the start. Learn the dungeons, your class especially before you take on a more challenging role.

Well regarding your stats, I suggest you read about it and accordingly in respect to the role you chose, take gear with the right stats. It isn't hard to find them from questing and dungeon drops.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    If you're level 15 and you queue up for a random dungeon, you're going to get placed with other Level 15 (or around there) players.
    I think the first dungeon (Wailing Caverns) has a level range of 15-25, so he could have been dumped in a group of 19/24 twinks that queued specifically.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Mostly because as someone else already said, people don't tend to like "new players" because they take up more time to clear dungeons etc or if they do PvP they don't contribute as much, therefore some people will be heavily negative upon new players.
    Just look past it, and it's always good to say that your new whenever doing a dungeon; then they can't complain if you fail at boss tactics because it's your first time (some people still will but you have an argument against it). Everyone was new at some point as well, don't let it get to you, ever.
    Just remember that there are always positive people in the game that are willing to help new players into the game
    Games ALWAYS have people that look down on new players, but they need to remember that new players means a longer lasting game in general for them.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    If you've played for only about four days, then to be honest, I wouldn't want you to be the tank or healer in a dungeon with me either. Even at level 15.

While most WoW players will consider low level dungeons easy, they're really a big step up from questing.

So I suggest you
    a) continue questing for a while.
    b) read up a little about dungeons and your class, such as the tank/healer/dps roles and which stats you need - nothing in-depth, just the basics.
    c) when you do a dungeon for the first time, go as dps, since that is easiest and least likely to cause a wipe.

^^^^ this guy/girl has given you good advice follow it and try to ignore the douches you come across in game
    The true vanilla wow test is whether or not they miss Vanilla. If they do, they didn't play in Vanilla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryade View Post
    What does you leveling in TBC have to do with leveling a toon now? The two aren't comparable, not in the least bit.

Volbian: How many levels did you shoot through on your fourth day playing your first MMORPG?
    When i started playing in Wrath, it didnt take me long to level my first 20 lvls, a few hours.
    Secondly, my point was, being low-level it doesnt matter. Alot of people dont even know their stats even at lvl 85. There was countless times, in Wrath, i've seen lvl 80 DKs with INT/Spirit gear, or other classes with the wrong stats at max level(80).
    OP's major complaint is PVP...Where you have all twinks and take WSG very seriously, having 300-400HP VS twinks 1K+, ofc he doesnt belong. I'm willing to bet he gets one-shotted all the time. And like most noobs, they QQ and hate PVP becuz of that reason. Dont blame people for having a poor attitude in a competitive game. Blame Blizzard for making lvl 19 brackets overpowered.

Before Cata, there was no such thing as BOE gear in PVP, you had to earn way gear thru leveling and doing dungeons.
    As some people have said before. There's forums,websites, all the info you need to read up on playing the game. Also Blizz made this game so easy, it impossible to be that dumb, to even know the basics. I feel sorry for new people who are gonna play GW2. There's no hand-holding in that game, unlike WOW.

Edit: In Cata, with BOES,guild perks,RAF and all the goodies. It takes 3 days to level 85 of playtime. This game isnt hard, people are just lazy or dont want to learn.
    Its like being in school, if you dont know something, you go to the library and further educate yourself on the subject. People who dont FAIL.
    If you disagree with this, that's fine, because there's hundreds of posts how out leveling zones is a problem. Even Blizz reducing 71-80 zones(Northrend), to make you get to end-game levels, supports why i'm saying.
    Last edited by Volbian; 2012-05-17 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Because there are zero consequences to your actions in world of warcraft. If people are allowed to act like assholes, they are going to act like assholes.
    And yet they have a zero tolerance for bad language and griefing. People thinking GW2 will be free of this behaviour are fools, or just wearing pink sunglasses.

There are conflicting views in this thread.

Some people are right in saying, "old players decked out in heirlooms" don't want to deal with new people - there is truth in that.

Here's the thing though. The character selection screen tells you what stats you need. They're called primary stats for a reason. Take them over anything. In all honestly, you're better off getting gear with JUST INT on in, or JUST agi. You're gear as a whole should have 1 of the 3 primary stats (int, agi, or str). Never, ever, mix them. At low levels, sure, wear what you got - but by level 20 most of the "mixed" gear should be gone.

The game is also significantly dumbed down from 8 years ago. You do not need to go to any websites to learn how to play. You have to realize that the game, and each class, was designed to play a specific way. That way can be inferred from the tooltips in your abilities. You need to have basic math skills down as well as the physical coordination to play.

Common sense goes a long way as well, I leveled my first toon in Vanilla and it took me 13 days to get to lvl 60. I was a main tank through AQ 40 and I never used mods or other websites to tell me how to play. I was never bad at this game, but I had about 4 years of Everquest under my belt. Learn your skills, and incorporate them into your action bar INTUITIVELY. Often based on the frequency in which you press them. If you know your abilities inside and out the only thing that's left is to have the coordination to use them effectively.

When you get a new spell, learn exactly what it does and how much rage/energy/mana it costs...then ask yourself? Why did I get this skill and when would be the best time to use it? These answers come through playing and experimentation.

Quote Originally Posted by Volbian View Post
    Before Cata, there was no such thing as BOE gear in PVP, you had to earn way gear thru leveling and doing dungeons.
    As some people have said before. There's forums,websites, all the info you need to read up on playing the game. Also Blizz made this game so easy, it impossible to be that dumb, to even know the basics. I feel sorry for new people who are gonna play GW2. There's no hand-holding in that game, unlike WOW.
    I came to GW2 from WoW, had no difficulties learning what to do and when. Some encounters are tuned so that you cannot handle them alone, but once with a few people to back you up it's just spam abilities when fitting and dodge around. Not that different from kiting as a hunter in PVP/extreme soloing in WoW.

WoW, just like all other games, has a learning curve. Anyone saying differently is a moron. I'm outperforming most other players for a reason. If it was so simple and easy and dumbed down, then everyone would be pulling their chars to the full potential and raid Heroics for progression.