Thread: Gold Sink Idea

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Gold Sink Idea

So, I thought of something that I think would be a good addition to the game, and could also remove some gold from the game. My idea is NPCs that players give herbs, ore, gear, or metal to, and for, say, 1g a stack, they smelt/DE/mill/prospect them instantly. Then they hold onto the items for up to 24 hours to give the player enough time to clear their bags and get everything. That way people with a lot of gold can use this system to save time, and other people can still do it the longer way for free.

Think it's a good idea? And would you use it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moorden View Post
    So, I thought of something that I think would be a good addition to the game, and could also remove some gold from the game. My idea is NPCs that players give herbs, ore, gear, or metal to, and for, say, 1g a stack, they smelt/DE/mill/prospect them instantly. Then they hold onto the items for up to 24 hours to give the player enough time to clear their bags and get everything. That way people with a lot of gold can use this system to save time, and other people can still do it the longer way for free.

Think it's a good idea? And would you use it?
    Paying to quicken the up Smelting or Milling would be popular, but at only 1g a stack it wont be a gold sink. I think we need more smaller sinks like this, that gradually drain your income, but the issue is that there are major gaps in the amount of gold people have in World of Warcraft, so it is hard to implement them.

Pets, Mounts and the Black Market Auction House will all be huge Gold Sinks this expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    This idea could be abused. A lot of AH Barons make tons of gold by buying up raw materials and processing them for resale. This could let the super rich get even richer by removing the time-investment that business model requires. The same AH Baron still buys up the raw materials, pays an npc to mill/smelt/whatever them in a fraction of the time, and reposts the product back on the AH with a 1gld price markup to offset the cost of the npc.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

Quote Originally Posted by Monk Brewslee View Post
    Pets, Mounts and the Black Market Auction House will all be huge Gold Sinks this expansion.

Idd all the new vanity stuff will be a major gold sink

15+ Year Old Account
    That would be abused to hell, like someone mentioned. I don't think the game needs any more gold sinks, after Black Market that is. Now that will be a sink to rule them all :P

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No as everyone has stated, It would be abused pretty hardcore in addition the black market AH is possibly one of most greatest goldsinks out there anyway.

The idea is good, but the price would have to be too high for anyone to use it, for it to be a proper gold sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    This idea could be abused. A lot of AH Barons make tons of gold by buying up raw materials and processing them for resale. This could let the super rich get even richer by removing the time-investment that business model requires. The same AH Baron still buys up the raw materials, pays an npc to mill/smelt/whatever them in a fraction of the time, and reposts the product back on the AH with a 1gld price markup to offset the cost of the npc.
    As a part-time (read: wannabe) AH baron, I'd oppose the idea because it would let anyone get into the mass crafting game without the significant time investment. Making gold on the AH isn't that hard, if you're willing to spend the time it takes for the mind-numbing parts of the job.

But that's just me, defending my turf.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone said earlier, it is hard to balance gold sinks, especially ones that gradually drain your income. I have only around 2k gold on me at all times max, just getting by however I can (terrible at making gold, even with 4 85s), but the average player has around 10k, while a lot have 50k-millions too. This would work, but honestly I think it would annoy more people who couldn't afford it then benefit people. Smelting doesn't take long anyway. Smelt all, alt-tab to youtube or mmo-champ.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream