Poll: Which do you prefer?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I must admit I had rather limited experience with mumble and I've used vent rather long time ago, but from what I remember, sound quality is pretty much the same across all of them, but it seem that mumble has a better one by default, so if you're not tech savvy, you might wana stick to that.

What annoyed me the most in both mumble and vent is the amount of setting up I had to do when first installed. In vent I had to change half of the sounds and most of the sound level setting to sound properly and not get annoyed by the sound effects it had. Regarding mumble... well, I barely remember it, but I clearly remember being angry at it for some reason when configuring. This is why I like TS, since all I need to do is change it to voice activation and adjust the activation level.

Vent also always annoyed me with it's interface, it was just too small and clumped up. And mumble's interface was rather dark from what I remember, at least the default one. Can't really comment on TS here, since I'm so used to it it will just be biased.

But I've heard some nice things about Mumble, mainly that it has lower latency (tho we still never had problems with supposedly higher one on TS) and ability to buy server for specific amount of people, which is really nice if you know how many people will be there exactly, but we always proffered to have some extra slots (right now we lease 10 slots to a friendly guild, so it actually came in handy).

Mumble > skype > vent/ts
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...hurstor/simple
    Tier 11 - 25man -13/13hc (world 220)
    Tier 12 - 10/25man - 7/7hc (world 144)
    Tier 13 - 10/25man - 8/8hc (world 91)
    Tier 14 - 10man - 6/6hc - 4/6 hc - Quit raiding

Mumble is night and day better.
    We are recruiting!
    Full Spectrum - Alleria
    www.fullspectrumguild.com
    Skilled Players with Work and Families
    WoW Insider Interview

Used VT for years before joining my current guild, which uses Mumble.

Day and night, Mumble has much better sound quality and less latency, and is much easier to set up properly (not that VT is hard to set up).

Never tried TS.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Mumble is without a doubt the best.

Vent is incredibly old and just doesn't match up to what mumble is capable at doing.

Oh and its free AND open source.

The world needs more excellent open source programs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mumble is great, costed half as much when my old GL set up a 30 man channel last year.

Don't see a lot of people using it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    does mumble support VAC for a music bot?

Deleted
    The only time I have ever had problems with Mumble is when people don't take the ONE MINUTE it takes to go though the setup of the sound.

Mumble is quite genious in that it auto levels all users. That means that noone will ever be extremely loud, and unless their mic is just pure crap, they will also not be too low.
    This does depend on people going through the guide however. If people don't, and they are not lucky, they may be too quiet, or be distorted because they line in is way too loud.

Still, that is the same thing with Vent, except that instead of distortion when someone has a too loud microphone, you get bleeding ears from the volume.
    The people who complains that Mumble is hard to set up, is the same people whom everyone else have to manually lower/raise the volume of in other voice chat software. Might save the person in question a full minute of their lives, but it means everyone else have to fix it instead.

Mumble is without doubt the best sound quality. TS3 is good as well. Vent doesn't belong in this decade.

Currently use Vent, but I much prefer TS(easier to navigate, looks better, easier to link stuff in chat). Only tried Mumble very briefly, so can't really comment on it.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gnlogic View Post
    does mumble support VAC for a music bot?
    VAC has nothing to do with what software you use. Ofcourse mumble allows you to pick which line in to use.

Deleted
    Mumble and skype is by far the best options.. vent and ts are old, dated and there's always atleast 2-3 who have trouble with the program finding your soundcard.

There really is no comparison. As far as flat out performance, Mumble is a superior program. Anyone using anything else is either ignorant to the fact that mumble exists, or too stubborn in their ways to see that it has superior programming in literally every way.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's been so long since I used TS that I'm not going to comment on it..

My guild started using Mumble last year back around this time IIRC, the difference in quality was just astounding, not just the clarity that made half the guild sound a lot different but there being almost to zero latency compared to Vent. It was mildly amusing for a bit to say something with Mumble and Vent both running and year it through Mumble as it was being said on the other person's end and then have a late echo with Vent following behind. We still have a Vent server but it's pretty much retired at this point and only serves as a back up.

IDK about these complaints about Mumble being hard to set up, you run the Wizard and adjust accordingly, takes a couple minutes, if that. Plus everyone gets ****ing auto leveled so you don't have to mess with that shit every time you have someone new come on or someone's audio settings are out of whack like with Vent.

Deleted
    I prefere Mumble over Vent and TS, no doubt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOENIXZERO View Post
    Plus everyone gets ****ing auto leveled so you don't have to mess with that shit every time you have someone new come on or someone's audio settings are out of whack like with Vent.
    Apart from the sound quality, this is the best part about mumble IMO, and when I use vent on a weekly basis due to pugging, I notice how much better mumble is every god damn time a new puggie joins and I got to readjust the sound

muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumbleeeeeeeeeeee

Deleted
    I have tested the all. Ventrilo sucks most, so bad programming and bad sound quality. Only good thing is low cpu and memory, but with todays computers that is not an issue. Ventrilo is for 15 years old computers.

Mumble was fine, but a lot more trouble to configure and getting to work. Never understood if you could download server software to host your own server or if you need to pay for it. Big plus for nice overlays.

Teamspeak 3 is the best of them all, with dead easy set up, best sound quality and easy to set up server software to host your own free teamspeak server. Now you also can share files, pictures and stuff very easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Iirc Mumble has better connection as a fact. I'm of the opinion that the quality is about the same.

Mumbles better, only reason Vent is still around is because most people are familiar with it.

Deleted
    Currently using TeamSpeak, but I have used all three. TeamSpeak is generally quite cheap, and the sound quality for me has always been fine. Mumble is really good also, but Ventrilo is just crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossad View Post
    You have a lot less control over what you hear in mumble compared to Vent. Yes i agree it's better quality, but say if someone is too quiet or loud etc, for the life of me i can't find any individual volume settings etc for them like i can in vent.
    And as usual people entirely miss the point of why Mumble is better than Vent and clearly haven't even bothered to read any of the documentation explaining how to set it up.

---------- Post added 2012-05-29 at 02:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Mumble is cheaper because it is new and is trying to get people to use it I would presume.

I have always used Vent. Knew a couple people that had free TS servers, or at least free to them cause they knew someone who let them use it. Vent is far superior IMO to TS. In one game I played, our TS server got "hacked" and we were constantly getting harassed by some guy. Was near immpossible to get rid of him for the admins, and I had no idea how to help. Never had this happen on Vent. Vent also seems more user friendly as far as initial setup goes. I've only recently heard of Mumble and not known anyone that uses it yet, so have no opinion on it. I also have no reason to want to try it as Vent gets the job done.

For those saying server crashed or latency issues with one or the other, all this depends on is who is hosting the server, not the software itself, so really not a valid argument.
    No Mumble is cheaper because it is open source which is one of many reasons why people prefer it now. Also if you honestly believe the back end software for voice chat has nothing to do with stability and quality issues I really don't know what else to say.

---------- Post added 2012-05-29 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by BahamutOmega View Post
    I use mainly vent, but only because most guilds/pugs/etc. use it. Used TS for things pre-WoW and it was okay in my opinion. Main guild I'm in uses mumble. I was annoyed at trying to figure out how to install it, but after I did, it crashed three times before finally working right. Sound and latency quality? I don't notice a difference in any of them.

I know this isn't an option, but I like using the WoW in game voice chat feature when other people bother to use it. Less resources than all the above because it's already built into the resources wow uses, only crashes when wow does and (imo) sounds no different than the others with latency only (apparently) equal to what WoW itself experiences.
    You can't possibly be serious. Even Blizzard themselves have said their voice chat is absolute crap.