Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

SWTOR: Population Estimates for the Top 20 US Servers

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=449144
    Kinda funny...kinda sad.I hope there will be more people because SWTOR got some potentional

EU population counts are way lower than actual numbers.

Edit:
    I had to go and Check those numbers.
    Tomb of Freedon Nadd (PvP EUR English)
    Reported in that post:

Population ≈ 1130

My search numbers which were made at 8.40-8:50
    Total: 2416

Empire:
    1-49 = 945
    50 = 421
    Republic:
    1-49 = 724
    50 = 326
    Last edited by Odegon; 2012-05-23 at 07:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    oh wow those numbers are horrible

used to play on couple servers EU side - while leveling these numbers actually seem high as you literally don't see anyone. considering it's a bit better in cities, still the numbers seem rather accurate.

So it looks like its putting Sub estimates at around 700k - 1 million. I guess if you are Bioware you are hoping after the free month drops off its closer to the 1 million side than the 700k.

I'm honestly astonished at just how low the server populations are. I agree with some others that posted there, it just really shows just how many issues the hero engine has with server populations atm.

Doubt it's really THAT low...but then agian that's what happens when you have idiots overhyping.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Keep in mind that those numbers are just those that are currently logged on. The poster makes mention of this:

Keep in mind this is the total number of average people logged in - it's probable that not every player is logged in all the time. If you think that 50% of the population is logged in all the time, double this number for the number of subscribers. If you think that 10% of the population is logged in all the time, then multiple this number by 10x for the number of subscribers.
    But it should be said, that even if you consider this the current numbers are well under the 1.3 million subs that Bioware/EA have provided. Likely because they did count the free account time they gave out.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 03:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    So it looks like its putting Sub estimates at around 700k - 1 million. I guess if you are Bioware you are hoping after the free month drops off its closer to the 1 million side than the 700k.

I'm honestly astonished at just how low the server populations are. I agree with some others that posted there, it just really shows just how many issues the hero engine has with server populations atm.
    I am not trying to be a negative Nancy, but from the numbers provided in that post, and the way he suggested to calculate subs, that your estimates might be generous.
    Last edited by ringthree; 2012-05-23 at 07:49 PM.

When I played for a few months at release, my server was very crowded. Played with a bunch of friends and it was fun. Now? Everyone of them quit including me with the exception of one. They still play and they said it's absolutely dead. They're mind boggled by how fast it dropped. Even he's probably going to quit. It was fun at first, but then you saw the game for what it truly was. A game with tons of potential, but fell WAY short. It might be my opinion, but many people feel the same way and it's such a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by so mad bro View Post
    It wasn't hype as much as it was really really bad support by Bioware, who kept refusing to add features which are very basic for modern MMOs: dual specs, decent respec costs, macros and LFG (at least they figured the LFG was needed after all).

If the game had at least these at the moment, I would still be playing it.
    I think they tried to listen to all those WoW haters who kept listing all the stuff that was "ruining" the game. Seems like it anyways. What they should have done is made their own path. The reality now is that WoW has changed the way MMO's are. No one wants to sit around and spam chat for hours anymore. LFD for example is just amazing and great because many people don't have a lot of time. SWTOR felt so...empty. With a budget that big you think they could have added some really cool and interesting features, but there was next to nothing. You sit, you spam for groups etc. This isn't BC anymore. Those days are long gone. Were they trying to revamp it? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Keep in mind that those numbers are just those that are currently logged on. The poster makes mention of this:

But it should be said, that even if you consider this the current numbers are well under the 1.3 million subs that Bioware/EA have provided. Likely because they did count the free account time they gave out.

---------- Post added 2012-05-23 at 03:48 PM ----------

I am not trying to be a negative Nancy, but from the numbers provided in that post, and the way he suggested to calculate subs, that your estimates might be generous.
    well that number comes from taking the total of the average server activity and multiplying it by 7x-10x which is what Blizzard and other companies have stated is the ratio of players on a server vs. how many that are paying to be on that server.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by so mad bro View Post
    It wasn't hype as much as it was really really bad support by Bioware, who kept refusing to add features which are very basic for modern MMOs: dual specs, decent respec costs, macros and LFG (at least they figured the LFG was needed after all).

If the game had at least these at the moment, I would still be playing it.
    It went deeper than missing some features in my opinion. BioWare simply came up with a bad design. The Old Republic is simply too short, too linear, too repetitious, too segregated, etc, etc... Though it should be mentioned, again, that even if you can see how many are playing. That doesn't necessarily equal how many are paying. The folks who have access to the "real" numbers are EA BioWare. Though they must not be what they want to see if they've already started layoffs.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    It went deeper than missing some features in my opinion. BioWare simply came up with a bad design. The Old Republic is simply too short, too linear, too repetitious, too segregated, etc, etc... Though it should be mentioned, again, that even if you can see how many are playing. That doesn't necessarily equal how many are paying. The folks who have access to the "real" numbers are EA BioWare. Though they must not be what they want to see if they've already started layoffs.

Well I've been saying for a while that I felt active subs would end up being around 750k after the freebee's go. It seems I wasn't completely crazy with that guesstimate although it could be 100k-200k higher than that.

i gotta say this is really starting to get to me man. CAnderous was a nicely populated server and it just keeps lower and lower. I started an imp of Jedi Cove and i hope the pop doesnt flatten out there too cuz then i will just have to call it.

MAN i love what TOR is and i am confident it will bounce back with 1.3 to some decent numbers but i gotta say i am just a bit worried

This is why I quit the game:

I got to a class quest that brought me out into a special area and up to the last boss was very easy to complete. The last boss could three/four hit me and my companion. I was already frustrated with the game, and told them that if something is to be a group quest mark it as such. I am not going out and grinding to level just to come back and get on with the next part of my class quest. Furthermore I found countless forum posts of people saying that even when the quest was green they couldn't solo him. I told them to give me a message when and/if they plan on making the fight a little more manageable. I also stated that I was reconsidering my subscription because with all the things going against the game, having my class quests ruined for me made me no longer want to play.

The bosses name was Darth Jadus. I specifically mentioned him several times in the email.

Tell me how I could not quit after this response from their crack customer service team. I felt like I got slapped in the face. Copied and pasted from my email, here you go: ( Notice how it refers me to information on the trial when I had a founder subscription on the collectors edition... piece of shit )

Greetings Spacebowie,

I am Protocol Droid T7-H6, Human-Cyborg Relations.

I have received your transmission regarding your report that you cannot defeat Darth Malgus, I apologize for the problem.

One advise that I can give yoy is you might wanna try to further enhance the equipments of your character or try levelling up some more so you can defeat this enemy.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if there is anything further we can help you with.

Galactic Support is our speciality…

Sincerely,

Protocol Droid [DROID NAME] (aka T7-H6)
    Star Wars: The Old Republic Customer Service

You can find more information on the Friends of Star Wars: The Old Republic Trial, including information on restrictions for trial players on the information page that can be found here: ---

We would love to hear your feedback on our Customer Service and invite you to fill out the following survey which will help us to continually improve our support!
    ---

Tbh I think it's a combination of 3 things:

1) Hero engine as you said: many many many early players *had* to quit as they could not pvp or pve while having above recommended specs. FPS issues was THE killer for swtor imo. With no fps issues, I am sure they would be right above 2 mill subs today.

2) Too much marketing putting players expectations above the sky. Bad idea if you can't deliver.

3) Lack of LFG tool / really really bad customer service / no comm' on official forums and stupid droids

On the positive side, questing and naration was boss. I left early after 3 months as I couldn't pvp properly and the no roll back on champ gear from 50 players who farmed low levels / uldum like crazy. Making it the most unfair game I ever played.
    Last edited by Gratlim; 2012-05-23 at 08:25 PM.

well that number comes from taking the total of the average server activity and multiplying it by 7x-10x which is what Blizzard and other companies have stated is the ratio of players on a server vs. how many that are paying to be on that server.
    I think your math may be a bit off.

7 to 10 times the numbers that he gave is ~500k to ~750k.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    I think your math may be a bit off.

7 to 10 times the numbers that he gave is ~500k to ~750k.
    +- 30% or so margin for error since they're only making estimates as to when a light transitions to standard and so on. Yeah, maybe 1Million, there's quite a lot of difference between these numbers and 1.3 million, but I know of plenty of people that still have subs active and just aren't playing, I'm sure there's quite a lot out there in that situation.

Laugh at me people - I am still subbed to this game for 3 more months and havent played it at all in a month. My server was destroyed by one thing, no LFD tool or even an attempt at assiting people who wanted to play to make groups. My server now has 3 people at peak times logged in (imp fleet). In my last 2 months of playing i watched people who DID love the game and wanted to play leave out of fustration due to not being able to make any groups - at any level. Sitting in the fleet for 2 hours to MAYBE make a group isn't good, it isn't playing and as far as I can tell, not having a LFD tool in this game was the biggest flub in video game history. SWTOR will be remembered as the john carter of video games

But but....LFG tool ruins the community... *sarcasm*

...or whatever is left of it from lack of such a tool

Looks like all the people on the community forums shouting 'If you don't like it, leave!', got their wish. Hope they're happy with the resulting layoffs, sub losses and dying populations.