Thread: Asuras.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Or we just don't like all the anime kawaii shit that gets thrown into games these days.
    How are they anime-like at all? Haha. I don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    omgkawaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Why do they have to put things like this into my fantasy games?

At least they're not elin ... /vomit
    I don't even...

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I don't even...
    Idd :/
    The picture of the 3 asura is anything but kawaiiiiiiiii........
    Doubt the poster knows what asura are other than "that small race"

I don't even...
    Haters gon' hate.

Bookahs gon' bookah.

OT: I really like the way the Asura have been put together. I even like the big ears.
    Last edited by fishious; 2012-05-25 at 02:16 AM.
    Why do I run? Why do I slay? Why do I play? ...Carrots? Nay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    How are they anime-like at all? Haha. I don't see it.
    That depends on how they're presented, really. I just hope they don't fall into the same category as gnomes from WoW in that they have a few scraps of intriguing lore but are overshadowed by gimmicky jokes. I suspect that is why some people are concerned and tentative about the Asura race. Though the developers of GW2 seem pretty competent and have seemingly managed to present the Asura very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Taenathal View Post
    That depends on how they're presented, really. I just hope they don't fall into the same category as gnomes from WoW in that they have a few scraps of intriguing lore but are overshadowed by gimmicky jokes. I suspect that is why some people are concerned and tentative about the Asura race. Though the developers of GW2 seem pretty competent and have seemingly managed to present the Asura very well.
    In case you aren't familiar with the Asura lore,

History

The asura were originally a subterranean race, adapted for their cavernous homes deep beneath the surface. They had evolved excellent senses—their long ears and wide, luminous eyes missed nothing—and sharp teeth for an omnivorous diet. They were uniformly brilliant as a people, analyzing, solving, and utilizing the intricate nature of magic itself. Using this power, they spread throughout the Depths of Tyria, linking distant locations with their asura gates and building great underground citadels on places of incredible arcane power.

To their horrified surprise, one of those spots proved to be the home of an Elder Dragon champion. The Great Destroyer, a legendary figure among the dwarves, stirred. Using the very portals the asura had built over its lair, it spread its minions throughout the underground, destroying the bulk of asuran civilization and forcing the survivors into the dangerous and unknown surface world.

The asura were nothing if not resourceful. Armed with what knowledge they had salvaged, and blessed with a surplus of inventive geniuses, they soon dominated the region of the Tarnished Coast. Their golems pushed back the jungles. Their levitation spells set their towns above the dangerous surroundings. And their reconfigured gates allowed them to cross a new world filled with dangerous and alien races. Ingenuity and organization gave them the advantage necessary to prevail.

Asuran society is organized around krewes—loose-knit research organizations, usually commanded by one particularly brilliant member. Highly motivated and competitive, these krewes codify and advance the magical brilliance of the people as they seek to recover lost knowledge, create new fields of study, and unlock the answers in the universal philosophy they call the Eternal Alchemy.

A race of magical innovators and mystical inventors, the asura have done nothing but prosper in the centuries since they arrived on the surface. Useful races have been turned into allies while less useful ones have been controlled and contained. New horizons have been opened, and old knowledge has been recovered.
    They're all basically arrogant dicks, and are a lot less "happy" of a race than the gnomes. If an asura smiles at you, it's more like a serial killer grin than a small child's.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-25 at 03:31 AM.

In case you aren't familiar with the Asura lore,

They're all basically arrogant dicks, and are a lot less "happy" of a race than the gnomes. If an asura smiles at you, it's more like a serial killer grin than a small child's.
    You'll have an even better view of asura when you finish GoA. They're a much deeper race than many suspect.

10+ Year Old Account
    My precious. I can't wait.

HATERS KEEP ON HATIN.
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    You'll have an even better view of asura when you finish GoA. They're a much deeper race than many suspect.
    They definitely are shaping up to be. Like I said, the book is really creating a personality for all the races.

Well, except for humans. IMO ArenaNet should have actually gone all out and just wiped Cantha and Elona off the map, so that humanity actually is a dying race. And then have their story heavily revolve around the gods forsaking them, but having the devotion and faith to press on.

They definitely are shaping up to be. Like I said, the book is really creating a personality for all the races.

Well, except for humans. IMO ArenaNet should have actually gone all out and just wiped Cantha and Elona off the map, so that humanity actually is a dying race. And then have their story heavily revolve around the gods forsaking them, but having the devotion and faith to press on.
    Given what's going on in both those places...they may very well be a dying race in each context. Certainly can't say they're by any means thriving or expanding.
    Also, ebonhawk is played quite well in GoA to show what humanity should be.

No thank you. If you ask me, the worst way to add personality to a race is to wipe out two different cultures of it. Besides, the humans in Tyria are already a struggling race, and the events occurring in Elona and Cantha aren't all too great either.

The Asura look great, and I'm really liking the scenery and architecture.

Given what's going on in both those places...they may very well be a dying race in each context. Certainly can't say they're by any means thriving or expanding.
    Also, ebonhawk is played quite well in GoA to show what humanity should be.
    The current situation for humans in Cantha is just fine though? They're just isolationists with a oppressive ruler, but as a race they're not threatened. Elona I'm not 100% sure of. It's ruled, again, by an oppressive leader who also happens to be an extremely powerful undead lich, and is being assaulted by minions of Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik. So the situation is grim, but I don't know how grim.

With Tyria, really barely has changed since GW1. They're no more dying out now then they were then.

I just don't really understand it. What I've heard and what I actually see contradict each other.

I'd hardly say that humans are growing, but they're still better off than all the other races, with the exception of the charr.

edit: Now that I think of it, the asura are probably thriving as well, even if they haven't really expanded their territory much.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-25 at 04:08 AM.

The current situation for humans in Cantha is just fine though? They're just isolationists with a oppressive ruler, but as a race they're not threatened. Elona I'm not 100% sure of. It's ruled, again, by an oppressive leader who also happens to be an extremely powerful undead lich, and is being assaulted by minions of Zhaitan and Kralkatorrik. So the situation is grim, but I don't know how grim.

With Tyria, really barely has changed since GW1. They're no more dying out now then they were then.

I just don't really understand it. What I've heard and what I actually see contradict each other.

I'd hardly say that humans are growing, but they're still better off than all the other races, with the exception of the charr.
    Perhaps, but a race doesn't need to be on the brink of destruction in order to have a personality. I happen to think the humans are just fine as they are (considering how little of the game we've seen). But then, opinions differ I suppose.

I think Cantha is very strongly controlled. Very much like a total dictatorship, which can't be conducive to growth. It's prob not being ravaged but can't say it's growing. It may just be stagnant.
    Elona is...probably also more stagnant. But that Joko really is an evil monster and holds elona in a a grip of undead terror. U certainly can't say it's growing either.

Still....there's certainly more humans than any other race. They're not on the utter brink of disaster and extinction by any means, but they're not doing as well as they were 300 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account

edit: Now that I think of it, the asura are probably thriving as well, even if they haven't really expanded their territory much.
    cantha is cut off by zhaitan, elona by palawa joko
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    cantha is cut off by zhaitan, elona by palawa joko
    Zhaitan is in direct conflict with Palawa Joko, in addition to Kralkatorrik.

He also is blocking all the sea routes out of Tyria.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 12:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Perhaps, but a race doesn't need to be on the brink of destruction in order to have a personality. I happen to think the humans are just fine as they are (considering how little of the game we've seen). But then, opinions differ I suppose.
    When their personality is this "dying race" archetype, yes you do kind of need to follow it...

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 12:22 AM ----------

I'm still confused by the humans. Even the human page on the website has that general tone, with the exception of this one sentence:

Although surrounded by challenges and confronted by threats within and without, the race survives and thrives in a world that becomes more deadly by the day.
    So suddenly now they're doing just fine?
    Last edited by Larynx; 2012-05-25 at 04:22 AM.

I saw a friendly heket? Asura are so amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    Zhaitan is in direct conflict with Palawa Joko, in addition to Kralkatorrik.

He also is blocking all the sea routes out of Tyria.
    yes, which prevents trade with cantha via the undead ships. they ARE blockading the strait of malchor

and its probably under attack by bubbles
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Ok......maybe it's better to say Tyrians are a dying race?

Ok......maybe it's better to say Tyrians are a dying race?
    But my point was they're no more dying than they were 250 years ago.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 12:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    yes, which prevents trade with cantha via the undead ships. they ARE blockading the strait of malchor

and its probably under attack by bubbles
    Um, okay. Were you adding to my post or arguing against it? o_O

Cantha being cut off from Tyria is irrelevant since Cantha is an isolationist state.