Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I was thinking more like I can throw potions at people.

"HEAL ME!"
    "HEAL ME!"
    "HEAL ME!"
    "Ya' wanna heal?"
    *throw potion, hits horrible DPS in the face*
    "HEAL YOUR DAMN SELF, BADDIE!"

Hire me, Trion. Serious.
    Sorry you're too late there is already and epic pot you can toss that AOE heals everyone in range of it.

But not with sass.

There's no reason they need to change the amount of soul points you get, just spread out the rate you get them as you level.

Also would love a Mage tanking soul, could finally have a decent MT in the guild :P
    I expect ours is a 2nd Healing Soul to give us a bit more variety. It's probably a standard healing tree as well, rather than one that heals by doing damage.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 2012-05-25 at 04:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalx View Post
    was not expecting that, really. Rift's progression is perfect with the current cap, it just makes no sense...
    It makes perfect sense cause Trion can use it as an opportunity to "reset" the game and get rid of some of the very bad stuff that is ruining pvp. A level playing field enables Trion to get rid of the gear progression treadmill that scares away perspective new pvp players, and put in a reward system based on skill with rewards that are cosmetic. Maybe a PVP tree with abilities you can unlock that have long cooldowns and can only be used in theory once or twice a match. Not passives that make you godlike. Hopefully Trion doesn't squander the opportunity if they raise the level cap.

They could also implement a system where raids and dungeons scale you to the desired difficulty and do away with the gear progression treadmill there. Thats a tricky one though because progression raiders are very change adverse in general. But the pvp changes if implemented could turn this game into a killer pvp game. I welcome the level cap increase.

Not increasing the level cap will kill the game for sure because it leaves you with two choices. Nerf old content into oblivion, or just keep moving the carrot ahead which means new players entering the game have to gear up through god knows how many raids to reach the point the older players are at. EQ made this mistake and they lost alot of players because of it, including myself. Planes of Power while perhaps the pinnacle of hardcore raiding, made the game completely inaccessible for anyone interested in raiding that wasn't already established.

One point, level cap increase should not mean adding more soul points to the game. I would actually prefer they not even add anymore abilities into the game. Every tree should remain as is. If they add new souls fine, have them go to 51 points. But 66 points should remain the cap even if the level cap increases. Actual levels should just award PA levels per ding (like Prestige levels do).
    Last edited by Khelendros; 2012-05-25 at 05:52 AM.

A level increase would definitely allow them to tweak with the mitigation and crit cap numbers to fix the majority of their itemisation and balance issues.

Deleted
    Nice hearing about the expansions, and imagine if Rift gave the expansions for free to it's subscribers? Would make the game epic as most.
    However, releasing an expansion too soon, and make people pay for it, will probably hurt the game more than the opposite even how high the cost. Right now the game is extremely cheap to get and get started in. This year there are many game releases, and I'm guessing most people choose to buy something rather than buying it all.
    I dont know if there are many major game releases next year, so if they want a x-pac that everyone buy I'd say a release in the middle or end of next year would be best, if they hand it out free to it's subscribers they can do it whenever.

Will be interesting to follow the updates, with twinks dead that will kill ability to level in warfronts (removing an alternative way to lvl up), how successful lowlvl instant adventures will be (is there enough people taking part?) and how good the new conquest is. With GW2 sneaking up in the corner soon, they can risk a good deal of players leaving for a while unless they make it good working. Fingers crossed, but only time will tell how it will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Nice hearing about the expansions, and imagine if Rift gave the expansions for free to it's subscribers? Would make the game epic as most.
    However, releasing an expansion too soon, and make people pay for it, will probably hurt the game more than the opposite even how high the cost. Right now the game is extremely cheap to get and get started in. This year there are many game releases, and I'm guessing most people choose to buy something rather than buying it all.
    I dont know if there are many major game releases next year, so if they want a x-pac that everyone buy I'd say a release in the middle or end of next year would be best, if they hand it out free to it's subscribers they can do it whenever.

Will be interesting to follow the updates, with twinks dead that will kill ability to level in warfronts (removing an alternative way to lvl up), how successful lowlvl instant adventures will be (is there enough people taking part?) and how good the new conquest is. With GW2 sneaking up in the corner soon, they can risk a good deal of players leaving for a while unless they make it good working. Fingers crossed, but only time will tell how it will go.
    They have to charge something. Development cost is to high for the amount of content being provided in an expansion of this size. And Rift has no micro transactions. I honestly doubt most people will care unless they charge like Blizz prices for it. 30 bucks should suffice and give Trion enough money to recoup costs and begin work on the next one.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    They have to charge something. Development cost is to high for the amount of content being provided in an expansion of this size. And Rift has no micro transactions. I honestly doubt most people will care unless they charge like Blizz prices for it. 30 bucks should suffice and give Trion enough money to recoup costs and begin work on the next one.
    No doubt they deserve the money, but I think many people try Rift because it's so cheap and simple to start playing. If people even knew they would get the x-pac for free if they were active subscribers people would go crazy about the game. It follow their pattern with lots of content for little cash to the players.
    But yes, they need money to keep their good rep up with fast and big content updates, but then they should think wisely about when they release the x-pac. Especially since most people choose to buy one thing even with many releases, and this year we have secret world, GW2 and MoP and probably something else... think star wars is planning some x-pac too but hopefully they wait a little as well. I dont know how things look for next year in terms of game releases, but hopefully they at least save the x-pac til then. Then they can also note how this years game releases have affected their playerbase... did they keep a sustainable number of players or how many left for MoP/GW2 etc.. Throwing out an expansion same time as other game releases might have more people put priority to buy other games instead of theirs and how many wants to play a game without owning the xpac?
    With that said, it's good to hear they have plans for the future but atm I don't think it needs to be rushed =)

I don't think the expansion will draw in many that decided to quit or skip Rift if the price is too high. Rift is a good game, but doesn't really have that popular swing. I barely hear about it when MMOs are brought up in conversation casually or in the media. Rift failed to have any significant cultural impact.

Putting out an Xpac for $60 with Guild Wars 2, Secret World, Diablo [not an MMO] and the ongoing WOW:MOP and TOR; isn't likely to gain Rift much new blood.

Any way you cut it though Rift was a success simply because it came out of nowhere and is still going strong. Compared to timeless franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars? Yeah, I don't think you have to have the cultural impact as something like Warcraft to be considered a success.

You might be correct, though, in that it won't gain much new blood. I'm sure there will be plenty of people that have been interested and might give it a try, however. I'm most curious about the new souls, because I think that (and new content every few months) is what makes Rift stand apart from the rest of the MMO world.

I don't think theres any question what the 6 new zones will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 03:14 PM ----------

I unsubscribed from Rift awhile ago due to the lack of time to raid, but if an expansion comes out you can count on me coming back. I wonder what the new zones and levelling will be like. The new city sounds interesting, and we can sort of imagine what Dusken Spires, Eternal City, and Steppes of Infinity will be like (in a sense), but i wonder what Pelladane, Seratos, and Morban will be like.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

$25-30 would seem like the sweet spot for a digital edition. Trion can put out a new CE with Rift classic + xpac repackaged with a new CE mount and goodies for about 60$ or so. The classic game is $5 now.

That sounds good to me. Would buy.

All of this seems pretty cool, but I was really hoping for some new races. Not really sure what they'd add, but it would still have been nice imho.

We don't know the full details of the expansions yet. These are just possible ideas of what the expansion may have. Maybe there will be new races.

Housing? We been asking for this for a long time. Trion has been coy about it.
    Faction betrayal? Same as above.
    Fighting through the planes? Same as above, one of the first "hints" of expansion actually.
    Planetouched wilds? Same as above.
    New races? Same as above.
    Faction neutral races? Yea, same as above.

We really don't know what is on the table for an expansion for certain. It might just be July's update... this is Trion. Haha!

I think these featuers aren't final. IMHO there will be more.

I don't think the expansion will draw in many that decided to quit or skip Rift if the price is too high. Rift is a good game, but doesn't really have that popular swing. I barely hear about it when MMOs are brought up in conversation casually or in the media. Rift failed to have any significant cultural impact.

Putting out an Xpac for $60 with Guild Wars 2, Secret World, Diablo [not an MMO] and the ongoing WOW:MOP and TOR; isn't likely to gain Rift much new blood.
    60 is total crap and most WoW players know it. No expansion should be more than 30 bucks IMO. That being said I would pay 60 to Trion since they deserve it, but I would be disappointed.

And no its unlikely the expansion will bring them a ton of new subs, but it will bring BACK alot of players, I guarantee it. So I can almost guarantee you are wrong on that regard.

I've been playing MMO's a very long time and long after I quit a game I go back to check out expansions. Most players do. Our entire WoW guild would do that.

Someone mentioned timing, I agree that this year isn't a good year. But looking at their whiteboard timetable they have milestones all the way up till mid november. So I doubt it will be this year. February or March of next year is my guess. With maybe a beta at the end of this year.

As for new features...that hunt Rift thing. Dunno what that is but it seems like its part of the expansion content that made its way onto the PTS by accident (or strategically placed on purpose).

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We don't know the full details of the expansions yet. These are just possible ideas of what the expansion may have. Maybe there will be new races.

Fighting through the planes? Same as above, one of the first "hints" of expansion actually.

We really don't know what is on the table for an expansion for certain. It might just be July's update... this is Trion. Haha!
    I've never understood the want for player housing. People already complain about afking in a city why would it be any better to afk in your house?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It gives you something else to do. Decorate it, upgrade it, farm stuff for it... I've never been a big 'player housing' person, but the capabilities of what Aion had seemed really neat. They had house auctions and different neighborhoods.

To each their own.
    You can spend a lot of time and money trying to save a little time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I've never understood the want for player housing. People already complain about afking in a city why would it be any better to afk in your house?
    I love player housing. The MMOs I played before Rift all had housing and it was great fun to decorate & upgrade.

People AFKing in a city doesn't bother me. Social lobby/working as intended. I'd much rather idle in the house I decorated. Or be able to work on my spec, stats, gear, move bank items, craft, etc in a cozy little place just for me.

Oh, man. Faction betrayal would be so, so awesome. I love that idea.