10+ Year Old Account

Mentoring an Instant Adventure PTS Test tonight (31/5/2012)

Time to relive the excitement of been a 'newbie' and running around Silverwood/Freemarch again as a fresh level 14

There will be a testing of Mentoring and some low level Instant Adventuring in Silverwood. Freemarch and Gloamwood, haven't done the Gloamwood yet so looking forward to that one, i might even find that damned Tree of Wisdom !

PTS Event Thursday 5/31 @ 4PM PDT – Mentoring in Instant Adventure

We’ve now made it easier than ever to go adventuring with your fellow ascended. Soon you’ll get to experience the thrill of the new Mentoring system!

Join us on the PTS Thursday, May 31 @ 4PM PDT (11PM GMT), for your first look at the RIFT Mentoring feature as we try to find any kinks, bugs, or pressure points. This is a brand new feature – so don’t expect it to be 100% fully functional but that’s what PTS is for!

The primary focus of this test will be Instant Adventure in the lower levels. IA Random Adventure currently isn't mentoring people down to a lower IA group if one does not already exist.
    You can now only queue for Random Adventure or the zone you are currently in. This is by design now.

In order to test lower level IAs with mentoring, people will need to go to Silverwood (10-14), Freemarch (10-14), or Gloamwood (20-26), set their mentor level accordingly, then join the IA queue.

Known Issues:

· Pets are overpowered
    · You can remove your mentor level while in an IA group or dungeon
    · We will be adding a “take me where I’m needed” option for LFD queuing.
    · We will be increasing incentive for doing random normal dungeons as a mentor
    · Mentors will receive a limited XP bonus for doing a certain amount of IAs using Random Adventure.
    · Zone Events will reward based on your true level if you are mentored down.

Mentoring

Players will be able to de-level themselves in order to either match a lower level player, or to set the level of their choice in order to complete lower level content. When a player lowers their level, they are known as an Ascended Mentor. Because of this, their effectiveness is reduced as a result.

Mentors receive appropriate XP rewards because content that would be grey, now registers and awards according to their modified level. Players in a group with an Ascended Mentor, whose natural level is close to the Ascended Mentor's level, are known as Ascended Apprentices. Ascended Mentors and Ascended Apprentices receive benefits from grouping together. This system broadens the amount of content higher level players can be rewarded for, and provides lower level players with a wider pool of people to group with.

Please note that Mentoring will not be available in warfronts, conquest, nor are rewards given to Mentors in open world PvP.

To test the new mentoring feature, you must mentor yourself down first by right clicking your portrait and then making a choice as to the desired level. Once you have mentored down, sign up for instant adventure. What could be any better than that? You can still converse in level 50 chat while you are playing at the lower level!

Character Copy to PTS!

You can now copy your character to the Public Test Shard! Simply click the Transfer button when you’re at Character select on the Live client and select “Copy to PTS” – it’s as easy as that! (though there may be a few bugs/limitations we’re working out). We will no longer be offering Gear/Leveling vendors with the introduction of this feature (except when testing requires it.)

You will need to download the PTS client if you have not done so already, this is approximately the same size as installing the full game and may take some time. For more information about PTS and how to access it please see:

http://forums.riftgame.com/public-te...g-started.html

Have fun!
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/public-te...adventure.html

We will be adding a “take me where I’m needed” option for LFD queuing.
    Sounds like you can queue up as a mentor and if there are no players in the 30-40 bracket but a group in the 20-30 bracket needs a tank/healer/whatever then you get mentored down and grouped with them. Kinda cool. There is a lot of effort going into making mentoring as flexible and polished as possible, I'm impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Sounds like you can queue up as a mentor and if there are no players in the 30-40 bracket but a group in the 20-30 bracket needs a tank/healer/whatever then you get mentored down and grouped with them. Kinda cool. There is a lot of effort going into making mentoring as flexible and polished as possible, I'm impressed!
    Yea, even the new option that you can join a random IA and your level will be scaled to the IA you'll join. Pretty awesome!

Makes me wonder how they are figuring out XP for the 50's who want PA levels. Must be a fixed % of your level, but they would have to do that for every single mob/objective reward? Or do they just say, this mob is worth 1000xp and at level 10 you need 10,000 xp to level, therefore it is 10% of your PA level? Curious how it is worked out, and more importantly, how it can be exploited to maximise PA XP gain

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Makes me wonder how they are figuring out XP for the 50's who want PA levels. Must be a fixed % of your level, but they would have to do that for every single mob/objective reward? Or do they just say, this mob is worth 1000xp and at level 10 you need 10,000 xp to level, therefore it is 10% of your PA level? Curious how it is worked out, and more importantly, how it can be exploited to maximise PA XP gain
    I think it should give same amount of xp as IA on lvl50, because then it wouldn't matter what IA they take part in and having them go help lowlvl fun up their leveling should be encouraged.