Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cargath View Post
    Also, what I've been doing though is building like, 60 block high pillars and then put lava at the top, I also have a little like, 2 block high pool so that the lava falls in there.

yikes you like playin with fire, literaly. Building landmark pillars too tall is risky as you still need to find a way back down after the fact, higher you go the easier it is to screw up and die. adding lava to the mix just adds another layer of risk plus you need to cart all those lava buckets around while exploring. Well its safe enough in creative mode but then agian its alot easier to find a base agian from the air anyway as long as there are some visable landmarks and you didnt make the whole thing underground.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    yikes you like playin with fire, literaly. Building landmark pillars too tall is risky as you still need to find a way back down after the fact, higher you go the easier it is to screw up and die. adding lava to the mix just adds another layer of risk plus you need to cart all those lava buckets around while exploring. Well its safe enough in creative mode but then agian its alot easier to find a base agian from the air anyway as long as there are some visable landmarks and you didnt make the whole thing underground.
    Well, here's what I do, I build it usually like, 60 blocks, but what I do is I fill the bottom with deep water so I can jump down, then, I place 2 blocks on the edge, usually dirt, and then i break off those pieces, place the lava down on top, and then dig down and fall safely in the water. Also, I have the Xbox version, not the PC, and the reason why so people will stop asking is because my computer is a piece of shit form 2006.

Pretty much never, Just use torches to light your path and backtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Pretty much never, Just use torches to light your path and backtrack.
    Yeah it's way harder to keep track of a route when you go into a cavern. I always try to put torches only on the right side, but sometimes it's hard to keep that in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

I found it helps in the nether to build little cobblestone-with-a-torch-on-top markers, something visible against the red landscape. Helps even more if I have them kind of upside down L shaped so they point in the direction I want to go.

as for normal game I ALWAYS have my house near the compass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatedPriest View Post
    back before compass was in i use to build towers and set a fire (when they last forever on just wood) for some reason the fire was visible for such a ways away
    This! i just make dirt pillars with a little ledge sticking out pointing to my house! and once i get to the nether i but some of those blocks that burn forever on top

Deleted
    I am losing my house all the time, so i am placing torches every ware now to find my house back

I lose my house all the time

I played on a server which had this huge city in the spawn point, so I was lost every time I died. Eff that, I better play on my own world than dealing with that shit. Also, griefers.

Deleted
    Nothing to do with losing houses but it's a good story,

so one time I was online, I found a small shack with a a lot of carts and some kind of locomotive inside. Probably belonged to someone, so I loaded it discretely with tons of dynamite. I then hopped on the back cart to plant my final bits of explosives when suddenly all the carts started moving. I was so damn lucky the owner activated them at that time, I noticed he had a lot of chests inside, probably some reserve building material hidden in case anything happens. So I was travelling for around 5 minutes, went through a tunnel and while riding I was setting up some triggers, and on the other side of the tunnel there was this hidden valley with a big fortress.

The carts stopped in a garage directly inside the fortress and before the owner would come I was running out placing the charged wire for detonation going towards the tracks from where I came. After a safe distance, I detonated the charges and BAM! 1/3 of his entire fortress got obliterated leaving a huge crater...

He never saw it coming... I then had to run back a huge distance to my home but it was worth it. I came back to that place one month later and the owner completely abandoned the place... Some rooms and underground halls were still intact including some upper corridors well decorated. He obviously knew that someone knew his location so he moved. I then set up camp and took my time to rebuild some main parts and went back to the small cart shack and connected it to my house and voila! I had my own 2 big houses! I'm just hoping he doesn't pay me a visit some time for revenge....

10+ Year Old Account
    use rei's minimap or build some towers as beacons so when you get lost just look for a beacon for the way back

and i only lose my house when i get bored and blow it up

10+ Year Old Account
    As often as I choose to drench it in lava.

Deleted
    I am constantly loosing my house lol i have made 6 in my current world and finally know where 3 are I didnt know there was minimap mods thats going on

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always start my houses no less than 100 blocks high; I start off on peaceful to do this, however.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salaterez View Post
    I always start my houses no less than 100 blocks high; I start off on peaceful to do this, however.
    that's totally cheating... Play on hardcore mode and quick make yourself a cave. i had a problem with moving PC's all the time losing or deleting worlds way i got round that was by installing dropbox. Links http://db.tt/80FuUKlV if anyone needs a solution similar works great for the server

15+ Year Old Account
    I've also noticed that if you watch the direction that the sun rises and sets you can sometimes easily find your way home. I also create my home between two biomes (preferably Plains/Forest with a nearby desert). When exploring, I usually start by exploring the near-by area pretty well. I get to know landmarks such as rivers or cliffs.

The trick is to not run off too far going after something. You said you lost your home going after wood. When you first setup and chop down that first try, clean up the leaves and get a few saplings. Plant them close to your home and keep a good tree-farm going.

Quote Originally Posted by Pope View Post
    Yeah it's way harder to keep track of a route when you go into a cavern. I always try to put torches only on the right side, but sometimes it's hard to keep that in mind.
    Have the torch face the exit at all times. for instance, torch looks like this when placed on wall.

/

instead of being straight when placed on the floor.

The tip should always point toward the exit. You can control the direction by placing a block on the floor if you don't find a wall suitable for placing the torch in the right angle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zin21 View Post
    Have the torch face the exit at all times. for instance, torch looks like this

/

The tip should always point toward the exit.

If I have the resources I'll sometimes lay a little redstone down. If that's an issue sand can be a good marker as it's rare deep underground.

i used to do various things like that too. making an arrow out of torches and etc until someone showed me the torch angling strategy. It takes bit of forethought, but the advantage of this trick is that it takes VERY little resource, and it takes something you bring plenty of anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zin21 View Post
    i used to do various things like that too. making an arrow out of torches and etc until someone showed me the torch angling strategy. It takes bit of forethought, but the advantage of this trick is that it takes VERY little resource, and it takes something you bring plenty of anyway.
    Yeah I like it. I've always done the "torches on the left strategy where if the torch is on your right you're heading back.

It gets a little iffy in some caves that drop or wind a lot but I rarely get lost for more than a minute or two.

I'm also usually so full of redstone that I can spare 4 pieces to make an "L" which points my way.