Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Sexist much?

I don't think girls wanting to wear sleeveless shirts means they're going to be strippers.
    No, but tiny short skirts and tank tops with half your breast hanging out (Which I have seen people wear to school) are not really needed either, are they? Same with guys and there boxers hanging out and "wife-beaters" (I do not know the actual name of them, if it is not that, just what I have heard them referred as)

At school of course, where you go to learn your subjects and how to react in a social enviroment, shouldn't there be some form of class enforced, so people do not think "hey, it is OK to wear tiny revealing clothes in serious situations!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    At my high school girls skirts had to touch the ground if they got on there knees (Seriously, they checked them in the hallways by having them get down on there knees) and boys could not have there underpants showing in any way (Sagging jeans, whatnot)
    They... made them get down on their knees, eh? I... um... Will instead choose to not say something bannable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazia View Post
    Your mom is so fat shes the reason blizzard made a limit on mage food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If words bother you that much perhaps you should try being amish so you can avoid them.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The guy in the tank-top with the tie.... Da fuq?!

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Neganova View Post
    They... made them get down on their knees, eh? I... um... Will instead choose to not say something bannable.

It was ALWAYS female school officials or teachers that did the checking, not once did I see a male have them do the "get on there knees" test. Even when a guy wore a short skirt to school on cross dressing day, a female teacher still did the test.

Deleted
    Slightly off topic but i read a similar story about woman doing a slut walk protesting about their right to wear whatever they want and not be afraid of getting raped. Now rape isn't a laughing matter, but i don't think showing your bareskin to rapists is going to help, they tend not to care for your rights. It would be like me going around in expensive jewellery and saying " i can flaunt this if i want, and you shouldn't be allowed to mug me", i'd probly get mugged.

On topic when i went to grammer school everyone had to wear the same school uniform, and i don't see a problem with that. Whats wrong with a few items being banned?

What a misleading title... I fail to see how this is considered slutty. Of course I went to public school in NY, so my expectations may have been skewed.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingHorse View Post
    It's like the collective psyche of WoW can't get over the sub loss, so when so much as a hotfix is announced, it's due to the sub loss. Tuesday maintenance? Due to the sub loss. Your loot didn't drop? Due to the sub loss. Your girlfriend left you? It's clearly due to the sub loss. Constipated? OBVIOUSLY because of the sub loss.

15+ Year Old Account
    In 9th grade one of my friends got in trouble for a low cut shirt that was still fairly conservative.

The next class day all of us girls wore the lowest cut shirt we had because really, what was the teacher going to do? Send us all to the principal? It was never an issue again though.

It's an effective way of protest. Also, those outfits aren't bad. Stripper clothes = no, but pretty much everything else is socially accepted.

I've seen sluts.

Those aren't the clothes that sluts wear.

15+ Year Old Account
    That was slutty? Those kids have a lot to learn about what slutty is.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Is that what they consider even remotely slutty?

Mother of god, I'm a manwhore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    It's not right, but it's not really frowned upon so much either. A man hits a woman and he's a terrible excuse for a human being and should be put in jail. A woman hits a man and the man is a wimp for feeling pain.

Either way, if you have a penis, you lose.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a current student of Stuyvesant High School, there are actually some things that the media has misrepresented about "Slutty" Wednesday.

First, it's supposed to have quotation marks. It was made like that so people realize the "slutty" is sarcastic, and the goal was to wear socially acceptable summer wear that breaks the dress code to show the administration how silly the policies are. Once the quotation marks were removed, the media misrepresented this movement of sorts and more conservative folks jumped all over it.

Second, yes, we are a prestigious school. Most of the rationale behind this movement is that much of the school is intelligent and independent. I personally know the leader of the protest who was mentioned in the New York Times. He's a bright kid who's on his merry way to Brown University after an Early Decision application. The girls and guys who protested aren't future strippers. They're fighting for something they believe in.

This brings me to my last point. The major protesting point that many less reputable media outlets neglected to mention is the fact that the staff discriminates against "curvier" girls. The school newspaper touched upon the stories of four girls who were, essentially, slut-shamed before they were even allowed to go to class.

Oh, and one last thing. You might know the "faces" of the protest, Lucy and Lauren. They're not dumb girls. They just weren't ready to speak to the media, and therefore produced less-than-favorable responses.

These articles were basically the basis of the protest and I'd give 'em a gander:

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archive...th-dress-code/
    http://stuyspectator.com/2012/04/27/...he-dress-code/
    Proud Chinese American

10+ Year Old Account
    cant judge what the students wore based on the picture, news probably wouldnt want the "bad" ones on their website but you know you can assume the kids have no clue
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Troll View Post
    These articles were basically the basis of the protest and I'd give 'em a gander:

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archive...th-dress-code/
    http://stuyspectator.com/2012/04/27/...he-dress-code/
    Those articles just make this whole situation so much more horrible.

The policy itself is a bit on the conservative side, but the way they're implementing it is extra dumb.

I hope you guys keep fighting it.

This is like protesting taxes by not paying them On top of sending a letter in its place saying "go to hell with your crappy taxes".

Not the right way to protest in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    Please educate yourselves.

http://www.slutwalktoronto.com/
    I think you might want to do the self-education. The slut walk was to protest cops telling women that they are responsible for being raped because of the clothes they choose to wear. This is nothing to do with that, this is about dress codes in a school environment. Swing and a miss there good buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    This is like protesting taxes by not paying them On top of sending a letter in its place saying "go to hell with your crappy taxes".

Not the right way to protest in my opinion.
    I'm not sure what real world the OP lives in, but in the real world I live in for better or worse, strategically showing some skin will undeniably provide an advantage in just about every industry/field you can imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    boo fucking Hoo. They need to learn some fucking discipline or they will be shitty people like some people around their age.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    I'm not sure what real world the OP lives in, but in the real world I live in for better or worse, strategically showing some skin will undeniably provide an advantage in just about every industry/field you can imagine.
    So true and yet so sad.

Did nobody get the irony that they were wearing clothes considered slutty by the dress code that were in fact NOT slutty? Thus making a statement about how asinine some dress codes can be

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    That was slutty? Those kids have a lot to learn about what slutty is.
    My thoughts exactly.

They should've seen the way teenagers here in Arizona dress. I'd be surprised to see even half that much clothing on a girl.

Booty shorts with fishnet stockings & a tank top that has holes on the side that go up the entire length of the shirt (exposing their entire chest and bra).

Not always^ but it's not exactly a rarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    boo fucking Hoo. They need to learn some fucking discipline or they will be shitty people like some people around their age.
    Overreaction much?

The way you dress does not automatically mean you have no discipline.

P.S. There are shitty people of all ages - please don't just assume it's my generation :]