Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I know it's been said before, but if you don't want to see the WoW vs. GW2 fight, turn off general chat and don't read the comments on youtube.
    The fight is there, and it'll probably be there for quite a while, but that doesn't mean you can't seperate yourself from it.

The thing I'm trying to say is, don't let other people ruin your experience.
    If that means you have to isolate yourself from them, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    I agree. WoW players are real morons sometimes. But on the GW2 videos, these are definitely not the real culprits.

The absolute worst fanboys (in my opinion) are the GW2 supporters. We're talking about a game that hasn't even been released yet, and the support for this game has turned into some sort of a sect. "This game will murder wow", "wow babies not welcome", "wow is shit compared to this", "this game has ruined me for everything else". They treat GW2 as if it's some new amazing invention that will bring peace to the earth. Not every fan of course, but an unusually large amount of them.

I can partially understand this hype, because it's new. WoW has been around for like 7 something years, so naturally people aren't as excited about it as some people are with GW2. But it's getting ridiculous, because we've seen this with every other MMO that's been released for the past 5 years. It's just that this time, it's three times worse.
    I would have to disagree about the worst fan boys. For example (IMO) Warcraft has the most vocal and worst attitudes I have ever came across. (Coming from someone who played Everquest long before Warcraft ever spawned) the community first thought it was funny to mock other people. Then before you know it. Anyone who stands up to people "Mocking, Bullying" other people is a "Nerd who doesn't know how to play" the community from everquest was quite different.

People went out of their way to help people not for reward for being interactive. If you did something you got a bad rap on that server. Warcraft fan's are not exactly making any easier on Guild Wars 2 fans. They are dooming this game to complete failure before it's even off the ground. Comparing it to WOW. Even though GW2 is free to play non sub based.

One point on the warcraft forums. I read about Warcraft charging people 20 dollars a mount and they were mocking EA. (The customers were saying that EA/Bioware was upset because of this) they will defend the game to no end. Even with diablo 3 massive failure start up. People will blindly just commit to know they know best.

Even though WOW is on the verge of biggest decline in sub's and possible for them to sell their 61 stake. Wow fan's coutinue to taunt anything that comes out that isn't wow. Unless people are playing both games. Granted Warcraft is largest sub based game like TOR (Sub based models are rapidly going) down)
    e
    My point is when TOR was around the corner. (Some not all) TOR fans mocked WOW. And now those fans are mocking TOR and Guild Wars 2 to fans who had nothing to do with that entire arugment throwing it in their face. While the truth of the matter is unless your paycheck comes from blizzard. You should hope all games do well. Think Warcraft would be pushing new features for free so quickly.

Think you would have got that annual pass if it wasn't for TOR or diablo 3 retail for 60 dollars. , allowing you to get in game perks that would gave you bonus. It's healthy for other games to have a counter part against wow without that Blizzard could play video games all day and keep pushing the "Coming Soon" argument.
    Last edited by FusedMass; 2012-06-10 at 12:29 PM.

First off, I believe comparing GW2 to WoW makes sense; I'm not saying comparing as in "GW2 is different form WoW in x, so it's better", but more comparing so people understand what is different between the two. If we aren't able to compare games, then our understanding of them and our ability to communicate about them diminishes. When I tell my friends who have never played or looked into GW2 about the combat, world, PvE, PvP, etc, I explain it to them in terms they understand, i.e. comparing it to WoW. If they played Rift, I'd compare it to Rift, and so on and so forth. This is simply a method of broadening understanding of a game.

About the community; every game has the people who trash talk, I've learned this through many MMO betas and launches. But let me tell you, from my experience, no game has had as terrible a community as WoW. WoW chat seems to always be in a state of looking for something to trash talk, and it's much more wide spread. Every time I play a new MMO, it is refreshing to be in the chat, because it is so much more civilized and helpful, and much less about trash talking or telling someone they need to "L2P". Obviously there are people in this beta who trash talk WoW, but I haven't come across any yet, and I find the community to be much more kind and helpful so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodrin View Post
    First off, I believe comparing GW2 to WoW makes sense; I'm not saying comparing as in "GW2 is different form WoW in x, so it's better", but more comparing so people understand what is different between the two. If we aren't able to compare games, then our understanding of them and our ability to communicate about them diminishes. When I tell my friends who have never played or looked into GW2 about the combat, world, PvE, PvP, etc, I explain it to them in terms they understand, i.e. comparing it to WoW. If they played Rift, I'd compare it to Rift, and so on and so forth. This is simply a method of broadening understanding of a game.

About the community; every game has the people who trash talk, I've learned this through many MMO betas and launches. But let me tell you, from my experience, no game has had as terrible a community as WoW. WoW chat seems to always be in a state of looking for something to trash talk, and it's much more wide spread. Every time I play a new MMO, it is refreshing to be in the chat, because it is so much more civilized and helpful, and much less about trash talking or telling someone they need to "L2P". Obviously there are people in this beta who trash talk WoW, but I haven't come across any yet, and I find the community to be much more kind and helpful so far.
    Exactly. Make it clear I am not bashing Warcraft the product itself. This comment is aimed at people who defend warcraft against any MMO as a legit threat and labeling them all to doom to failure. I understand their is fault on both sides but typically as the poster above me described. Warcraft community is horrible sometimes. They mock. Insult. Make up names up to call you and all in front of everyone.

It's like they go out of their way to try to think of original ways to say the other person sucked. It's not I been in random pugs where the DPS say "Pick it up or Vote Kick" and how eager you hear people on looter during raid's stealing items from other people doing this WEEKLY. If you complain about it in trade then you are labeled as a "QQ Moar L2PLAY"

One of my best times on warcraft was on a new server. They accepted people in PVP armor to raid 10-25 man groups on hard modes. They never rejected anyone and even though the raid leader had no new what he was doing. (New to the game.) they never complained. I recall going to a raid and for nearly FOUR HOURS we wiped time and time again. We got no gear. But the group didn't break apart, we simply tried again the following week but we had a great time.

Not everyone that plays warcraft is like this obviously. It just seems on most servers people go out of their way to be a jerk as for comparing the two games. GW2 is nothing like warcraft expect that it can cast spells. The time line is different, people nearly everything is different. Even GW2 being a free to play not a sub based model so unlike TOR can't compare them on subs.

That's just what I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronius View Post
    I agree. WoW players are real morons sometimes. But on the GW2 videos, these are definitely not the real culprits.

The absolute worst fanboys (in my opinion) are the GW2 supporters. We're talking about a game that hasn't even been released yet, and the support for this game has turned into some sort of a sect. "This game will murder wow", "wow babies not welcome", "wow is shit compared to this", "this game has ruined me for everything else". They treat GW2 as if it's some new amazing invention that will bring peace to the earth. Not every fan of course, but an unusually large amount of them.

I can partially understand this hype, because it's new. WoW has been around for like 7 something years, so naturally people aren't as excited about it as some people are with GW2. But it's getting ridiculous, because we've seen this with every other MMO that's been released for the past 5 years. It's just that this time, it's three times worse.
    Pretty much true. It gets annoying. I mean I still play WoW fully 100% and GW2 sounds interesting, I'm awaiting it's release as much as the next person. I'm not some ignorant bloodthirsty person who wants games to fail.

I find the PvP is much more enjoyable, too, because I don't have to deal with a bunch of, "u suck lrn 2 play" nonsense I dealt with on a daily basis in WoW.
    Give it 6 months, or less.... when general concensus has established a "way things should be done" :P

Deleted
    Hopefully this trend will die 1 or so month into the game itself after launch. I see it mostly died with Rift, the comments about WoW and Rift comparisons have grown to be very few.

Fanatics will be fanatics. They want their game to be the cool thing, so that their time spent on it is not in vain. In some cases it can be because of insecurity. But most people will take some sort of side at one point if they grow attatched to a game. There's a reason you differentiate between a supporter of a game title and a fan of a game title. Supporter is the level headed person who enjoy the title, wile the fan is a fanatic who can't tolerate any critisism, etc.

It's pretty much how it goes. There's a lot of WoW-fanatics and GW2-fanatics (even before launch, you find most of them on youtube under GW2-videos).

And I would recommend turning general off if they spout crap 24/7. They shut up eventually.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2012-06-10 at 01:43 PM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Deleted
    [QUOTE=TheEaterofSouls]...why they don't want wow players, etc. -_- /QUOTE]

There are good reasons for this. You might want to check any GW2 forums to see that some or vast majority of WoW players want to play WoW 2.0, not GW2.
    They're always complaining and demanding raids, mounts, gear grind, gear inspect, no fast travel, traditional quests, etc...
    It's not really feeling superior, GW2 is indeed different from WoW and lets keep it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Hopefully this trend will die 1 or so month into the game itself after launch. I see it mostly died with Rift, the comments about WoW and Rift comparisons have grown to be very few.
    Iunno about that, when I was in the early areas no more than a couple months ago on Rift the majority of the conversation was about how much better Rift was than WoW. You'd think the game had come out last week with the amount of WoW comparisons in there. Only took me like an hour to get fed up and turn off my zone chat.

---------- Post added 2012-06-10 at 07:39 AM ----------

There are good reasons for this. You might want to check any GW2 forums to see that some or vast majority of WoW players want to play WoW 2.0, not GW2.
    They're always complaining and demanding raids, mounts, gear grind, gear inspect, no fast travel, traditional quests, etc...
    It's not really feeling superior, GW2 is indeed different from WoW and lets keep it this way.
    Hey, let's lump everyone who played WoW in the same group and assume they're all evil and we do not want them. That will make us better than all of those losers. Yep. /endsarcasm

There are not 'good reasons' for saying that no WoW players should play GW2. That's just silly. That's 1 very small step away from saying 'No MMO fans should play GW2', as almost every fan of the genre has played WoW at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play WoW ;(

Don't hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    There are not 'good reasons' for saying that no WoW players should play GW2. That's just silly. That's 1 very small step away from saying 'No MMO fans should play GW2', as almost every fan of the genre has played WoW at some point.
    I doubt anyone with their head in check claims no WoW-players should play the game, but at the same time those who ask for WoW 2.0 from GW2 really need to open their eyes a little bit.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Atelniar View Post
    with their head
    You are aware that the OP is referring to youtube comments, correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    MMOs often require a steep investment. People like to feel good about their choice of investment.
    Exactly. I think the fact that WoW has been king of the mountain for such a long time (completely unprecedented) has had a bit of a negative effect on the genre, in that many players feel that if the next new MMO isn't that big, then it is invalid and is fail. People want to feel like their game decision is the "right" one, and that they are playing the best game, and it's worth their time.

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    Exactly. I think the fact that WoW has been king of the mountain for such a long time (completely unprecedented) has had a bit of a negative effect on the genre, in that many players feel that if the next new MMO isn't that big, then it is invalid and is fail. People want to feel like their game decision is the "right" one, and that they are playing the best game, and it's worth their time.
    Considering dubstep is more popular than most of the music I listen to, and Transformers is an extremely successful movie franchise.. I'm fine with something I like not being the most popular choice. =P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post

Or they're insecure and feel the need to bash other games and vice versa. Not really WoW's fault, it's the fault of players that can't comprehend it's ok for MMO's to be on side with one another. Usually when a MMO tries to kill another is when things go really bad and shouldn't. Just make a game not kill a game.

Unfortunately I think some devs(Not say GW2 is doing it but we'll see) like to listen to all the "THIS GAME WILL KILL X!" stuff, I could be wrong but I'm theorizing why some other games failed.

Playing the remainder of the BWE and this game is really awesome! Is it any better than wow in my personal eyes? No! But it is really fun!
    I might end up liking both games equally. Do I think it's right that I may get shot down due to a community that feels it's superior. no!

Wows old? So what?! Gw2 is fun but your not gonna force me to quit one of my favorite games I have been enjoying peacefully for 5 years.. :/
    I really hope the hipsters die out and that the general GW community will end up being more accepting of my gaming choices.

PS: I really hate the Charr for some reason........... they're like a mascot that keeps getting shoved into your face. Also the females look very similar to the guys and it's weird imo :/ (In wow I hate gnomes..because they are small and useless)
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-06-11 at 12:30 AM.

healers and tanks coming from wow are going to stuggle to adapt. They need to realise that the holy trinity isn't in this game and you can't sit back and play a support role anymore, you all need to be a tank,support and damage.

People like to root for their favorite MMO's like they're teams in a football game. We've seen this all over the place with SWTOR, Rift, and all of the other MMO's and such. It sours my experience, too. I wish people could enjoy what they enjoy without telling other people that what they enjoy is wrong. I see this taking place in every medium: Games, movies, music, lifestyle choices, art. Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    healers and tanks coming from wow are going to stuggle to adapt. They need to realise that the holy trinity isn't in this game and you can't sit back and play a support role anymore, you all need to be a tank,support and damage.
    Tell that to the guardian in my catacombs group using full defensive sigils who kept running ahead, pulling, and insta-dying because he wasn't dodging.

Or the elementalist in that same group who sat in fire attunement the whole damn dungeon.