Thread: A question

A question

If I own a copy of a game for a console, am I allowed to download it, pirate, to the computer?

I own Skyrim to PS3 but I'd much rather play it on my computer since there are all kinds of mods I feel I'm missing out on, but there's no way I'd pay the full price again...

Thanks.

*snip*

Piracy is bad, don't promote it. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-06-10 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    *snip*
    But I am concerned if it's legal.
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-06-10 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    But I am concerned if it's legal.
    It isn't.

What you can do if you want to stay on the right side of the law is - sell the PS3 title on EBay or something and use the money you get from the sale to purchase a pre-owned copy of the PC version - also from EBay or any alternate that you feel comfortable with.

The good thing about software is, unlike a car for e.g. - a pre-owned copy is not different from the original shrinkwrap copy in any way

Quote Originally Posted by Jodall View Post
    It isn't.

What you can do if you want to stay on the right side of the law is - sell the PS3 title on EBay or something and use the money you get from the sale to purchase a pre-owned copy of the PC version - also from EBay or any alternate that you feel comfortable with.

The good thing about software is, unlike a car for e.g. - a pre-owned copy is not different from the original shrinkwrap copy in any way
    That's lame :/ Thanks for telling me.

A Pre-owned PC game? Each PC game comes with a registration code because the software is easier to duplicate/pirate compared to a console disc game. Unless I've missed a major revolution in decades old DRM, no reputable retailer will sell a pre-owned PC game.

When it comes down to a legal argument from past court cases and such it seams at this time they only go for the people that are sharing or uploading via p2p. If you are concerned with this dont torrent. Use IRC which has plenty of IRC servers you can find the files and download only from. Or a way faster and safer way would to get yourself a subscription to usenet or a newshosting site. Its download only and you are routed thru a dns server and everything is encrypted until u receive the entire file that way your isp cant snoop what your downloading.. and your not uploading so no reason you can be "looked at" by your ISP at this time...

Quote Originally Posted by Jounichi1983 View Post
    A Pre-owned PC game? Each PC game comes with a registration code because the software is easier to duplicate/pirate compared to a console disc game. Unless I've missed a major revolution in decades old DRM, no reputable retailer will sell a pre-owned PC game.
    dont know how Skyrim activates - but most games that are single player (and not designed like Diablo3) tend to work with a serial key thats associated with the CD/DVD that you purchase.

when you purchase a pre-owned pc game, the onus is on the previous owner to delete it from his system (usually thats why they force you to pop the original cd in the drive, to ensure you have the media in question)

from a purely legal standpoint then - you own the game and the previous owner (if he continues to use the software) becomes the pirate.