need some profession advice

ok so i cant decide

i want to make a profession that has alot of CC and burst damage,perferably one thats good in pvp.but i dont know what to make,i was gonna go with mesmer but i dont really want to micro manage a bunch of clones and AI stuff like that

so just wonderin from people who have played the bwe's and stuff what would be a good profession in terms of CC and burst damage perferably one thats good for pvp cuz i plan on pvping alot,oh yeah perferably a melee class.but a ranged would be ok if no melee classes are really that great for that
    Last edited by CrunkJuice5; 2012-06-13 at 06:55 PM.

Elementalist comes to mind. Maybe also Warrior (or Guardian, but they seem to lack the "burst damage" part).

But really, most professions have enough playstyles to cover SOMETHING. You also seem to ask for "the best of both worlds", which isn't very easy to get. But elementalist would be my guess, they can do so much.

yeah i was lookin at warrior but i dont know

i played a warrior in wow,a warrior in swtor.im kinda warrior'd out and want something different

thiefs looked kinda fun,but i dont know.ive heard them being described as a "squishy melee"which i dont really like

Quote Originally Posted by CrunkJuice5 View Post
    yeah i was lookin at warrior but i dont know

i played a warrior in wow,a warrior in swtor.im kinda warrior'd out and want something different

thiefs looked kinda fun,but i dont know.ive heard them being described as a "squishy melee"which i dont really like
    Elementalists are still an option though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Elementalists are still an option though.
    i guess,havent really looked at elementalist very much.mesmer looked cool,but i dont really like the whole shattering mechanic.i mean,if they had a mesmer class that did everything a mesmer could do,but didnt rely on shattering clones and stuff,id probably say that would be the class id want

Deleted
    i guess,havent really looked at elementalist very much.mesmer looked cool,but i dont really like the whole shattering mechanic.i mean,if they had a mesmer class that did everything a mesmer could do,but didnt rely on shattering clones and stuff,id probably say that would be the class id want
    Sounds like Thief to me.

Thief pros:
    - Movement
    - Stealth
    - DoTs/conditions
    - Burst
    - Control
    - Stealing gives you the suprise element in pvp, since enemy never knows what you are carrying.

Mesmer pros:
    - Illusions
    - Burst
    - Blinds and confusions sprout constantly
    - Stealth
    - Hard to spot the real Mesmer in a heated fast paced fight

I'm still not sure what to pick. Have been playing mesmer on BWE1 & BWE2 and thief only on BWE2. -_- You really need to test them... and then you are even more confused what you want to roll since "you want them all".

Here is nice and fast thief inro from Haasth (who is also on this forum)

for CC go with Engi for Burst dmg Ele.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like Mesmer or Thief. Mesmer is more random and CC friendly, and Thief follows up right behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know mesmers had good burst...

Deleted
    every proffesion has some sort of burst and control. Any profession really can melee or go ranged. The last 2 bwe i been enjoying a gunslinger shortbow thief. Was it squishy? at first yes untill i respecced for the vitality traitline. might and swiftness on dodge. Amazing. Guns for single target. Shortbow for multitargets. Kite all the way and if you get hit tadaa there comes the vitality.
    The part is, beforehand i thought i would least enjoy the thief of all professions. Now its in my top2. With rollign a warriorfor launch. Rifle/greatsword.

Deleted
    I would say try out Elementalist with sceptre and focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Iryne View Post
    Sounds like Thief to me.

Thief pros:
    - Movement
    - Stealth
    - DoTs/conditions
    - Burst
    - Control
    - Stealing gives you the suprise element in pvp, since enemy never knows what you are carrying.

Mesmer pros:
    - Illusions
    - Burst
    - Blinds and confusions sprout constantly
    - Stealth
    - Hard to spot the real Mesmer in a heated fast paced fight

I'm still not sure what to pick. Have been playing mesmer on BWE1 & BWE2 and thief only on BWE2. -_- You really need to test them... and then you are even more confused what you want to roll since "you want them all".

Here is nice and fast thief inro from Haasth (who is also on this forum)
    [video=youtube_share;WnRtvUDniEw]http://youtu.be/WnRtvUDniEw[/oediv]
    Those "info" or "review" or "spotlight" videos has never proven very helpful to me for my choice of profession.

Also, it really just seems like you will have to try out some different profession's weapon combos and choose for yourself.

I love the Warriors Consistent dmg output survivability, and if you combo the right abilities it is pretty much the I WIN button for burst dmg which is on a 1 Min CD so its not OP regardless of how many whinners complain about it.

Heres my Warrior in this BWE2 hope you enjoy. And feel free to hope on my team speak if you have anyquestions about my build or weapon sets for both PvE and PvP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_vpsdQw9E

I tried ele with scepter and focus. Was a lot of fun. Heavy damage options as well as nice control. You could also try daggers.
    Ranger with a greatword might also suit your tastes.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok so i cant decide

i want to make a profession that has alot of CC and burst damage,perferably one thats good in pvp.but i dont know what to make,i was gonna go with mesmer but i dont really want to micro manage a bunch of clones and AI stuff like that

so just wonderin from people who have played the bwe's and stuff what would be a good profession in terms of CC and burst damage perferably one thats good for pvp cuz i plan on pvping alot,oh yeah perferably a melee class.but a ranged would be ok if no melee classes are really that great for that
    I think ANet has done such a good job into making each profession and each weapon set within each profession feel different from each other that its just plain hard to say one is going to work better than another for you. You really just gotta spend time with each one (past level 10 if you can) and see what is going to work best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I didn't know mesmers had good burst...
    I could get some decent bursty-ness in BWE1 if I was willing to engage from range and then weapon switch at melee to finish mobs off...but I didn't find any melee burst per se. BWE2 I had to kite a single mob around Tyria for 5 minutes just to get a single kill so I couldn't find any burst with any weapon combo. I know some people were able to get their mesmers to work pretty well in BWE2 and for some reason I just couldn't get mine to do anything more than horrible damage in PvE or PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Elementalist comes to mind. Maybe also Warrior (or Guardian, but they seem to lack the "burst damage" part).

But really, most professions have enough playstyles to cover SOMETHING. You also seem to ask for "the best of both worlds", which isn't very easy to get. But elementalist would be my guess, they can do so much.
    Guardian + Hammer...I can tank a mob down to half in two abilities and have a lot of CC to boot (literally...Banish ftw). Seems like decent burst to me. Also good melee AoE as 2v1 has yet to be a problem in the least. More than 2 mobs and I switch to mace/shield after getting off the burst from the hammer. I think warrior wins out in PvP since they have gap closers and seem to do better damage at range but I still prefer guardian as the rage based warrior archetype isn't what I want.
    Last edited by Rooflesstoofless; 2012-06-14 at 12:02 AM.