Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help, I can't sleep!

Hey everyone.

The last couple of days I have had increasingly less sleep due to not being able to fall asleep.
    I pretty much lay in bed and feel as if my limbs hurt - take a different position and the same happens after a few minutes.
    Today is the day that I haven't had any naps and am unable to sleep at all, while I did all sorts of things today (including swimming laps for 55 minutes).

It's freaking me out, since I do feel tired.
    Something like this has never happened before (I did have sleeping problems before but no problems with FALLING asleep).

Anyone got any suggestions or insights on what is happening?
    Thanks.

p.s;
    I did quit smoking 4 weeks ago, might that have something to do with it?

Try white noise but beware it can be as addicting as cigs, I sure as hell cant sleep without it anymore.

Wont do anything for the limb pain, though, maybe check Restless Leg Syndrome symptoms?
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Try melatonin. I take one about 30 minutes before bed and it's lights out all through the night.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombergy View Post
    Try white noise but beware it can be as addicting as cigs, I sure as hell cant sleep without it anymore.
    Oh geez, I wouldn't be able to sleep with any noise. I go crazy if my brother's headphones are even making noise.

What happened to the good ol' warm milk trick, no one likes that?

Granted, I've had this happen a handful of times OP, and honestly I haven't ever found a way to deal with it but it's more severe in your case than mine, maybe you should see a doctor if anything?

It's 5 in the morning now and I have to get to work at 7.
    Today is going to be a fun day :/

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    It's 5 in the morning now and I have to get to work at 7.
    Today is going to be a fun day :/
    Well at least if if wears you out, you'll sleep later.

It's the smoking bro. Fucks with your routine something crazy. I quit about three weeks ago too and my whole shit is crazy right now. Weird dreams when I can sleep. Sometimes sleeping too much, sometimes not at all. Slowed reflexes. Changed appetite and tastes. Even certain comprehensions are different. I quit for about a year back in 2010. Same shit happened then. Just tough through man you will be ok. Btw the side effects from quit smoking pills are still noticeable without the pills cause I quit cold turkey both times and had some crazy shit happen for a few weeks.

Ps-

It's spring allergy season for me too so that just stacks. I'm allergic to red cedar trees, and where I'm from there are millions of these cocksuckers so I have that goin too. I have found most allergy pills cause me a form of insomnia.
    Last edited by MasterOfNone; 2015-03-23 at 04:11 AM.

Stop going on the PC / smartphone / tablet before bed helps too

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually just listen to a podcast or audio book when I can't sleep. The most important thing, at least for me, is to not get stressed out by not being able to sleep, that just makes it even worse.

Some tips to aid in your quest for sleep

-Stay away from screens/PC/Games/phones etc

-Consider sleeping pills like melatonin

-Train your brain with mental cues like brushing your teeth, playing a certain type of music, or something that you consistently do before going to bed

-Read in bed

-Try to go to sleep at the same time each night

-Use your imagination. Think of a different place/setting put yourself there and create a storyline around yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Antihistamines (allergy pills) can make me really drowsy*.

*Consult your doctor to make sure antihistamines are ok for you.

Give yourself more time to fall asleep, if you time it so that you must fall asleep this instant to not be tired in the morning it's going to feel stressful. Don't exercise before going to bed, it's counter productive unless you are extremely tired. Stay away from screens around an hour before going to bed. Finally, seek professional help, this is a gaming/computer related forum, take medical advice from real doctors.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quit smoking cigarettes i assume?

Try smoking a bowl before bed if you can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Oh geez, I wouldn't be able to sleep with any noise. I go crazy if my brother's headphones are even making noise.
    I've been sleeping with a fan on for close to 20 years now, it's pretty much the same as white noise. I became accustomed during hot, stagnant summer nights with no AC to speak of. Now, if I try to sleep without a fan, it takes at least twice as long to fall asleep, and my head starts throbbing like crazy. It's like my body purposely increases my blood pressure to cause my inner ears to create their own white noise type sound so I can fall asleep.

No real point to this little story, just figured I'd share my experience with being on the other side of the coin.

OT: I second smoking a bowl before bed. You should go see a doctor about the issue though, since it seems to be getting progressively worse.

Smoking a bowl? Never hard of that Oo
    Google time!

[edit] No thanks, I don't do drugs!

Google time!

Oddly enough, when you said you "quit smoking" the first thing that popped into my mind was that you meant weed for some reason.

I uh...completely forgot about cigarettes.

Granted, I don't do drugs either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    I've been sleeping with a fan on for close to 20 years now, it's pretty much the same as white noise. I became accustomed during hot, stagnant summer nights with no AC to speak of. Now, if I try to sleep without a fan, it takes at least twice as long to fall asleep, and my head starts throbbing like crazy. It's like my body purposely increases my blood pressure to cause my inner ears to create their own white noise type sound so I can fall asleep.

No real point to this little story, just figured I'd share my experience with being on the other side of the coin.
    Actually I've gotten used to a fan, the fan noise is fine. Anything else though it's like "OH GOD PLEASE WHYYYYYYY".

The worst offender is my dogs suddenly realizing they haven't licked their butt in 5 minutes.

Humans in the wild sleep like 3 times a day. Once in the evening say around 8pm to 11pm. They wake up at 1am or so, stay up for a couple of hours, back to bed. Wake up in the morning. Then they nap around noon. So if you have unusual sleep patterns it might no be so unusual.

Stress can keep you awake, coffee really affects some people. Depression can make you lose sleep too.

I wouldn't worry about a sleepless night or two, if it becomes a pattern talk to your doctor. It's easy to become dependent on some remedy when you're just exhibiting normal behavior like most other humans.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Actually I've gotten used to a fan, the fan noise is fine. Anything else though it's like "OH GOD PLEASE WHYYYYYYY".

The worst offender is my dogs suddenly realizing they haven't licked their butt in 5 minutes.
    Damn dogs! I feel your pain on that one. We have 7.. and then the wind shifts while I'm in a dead sleep.

Google time!

To each their own. Smoking a bowl every now and then is where I draw the line. Anything that can develop dependency, I stay away from (except alcohol, but I only drink 4 times a year or so for those special occasions that seem to socially call for it).

Regardless, consider the doctor option. Sleep is too vital to living to just let it go and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Dys; 2015-03-23 at 06:47 AM.

Deleted
    Masturbation.

Just went to the doctor but she couldn't really tell me much about it.
    Prescribed me some pills to fall asleep easier for the next 3 days and I'll have to return if I still have trouble after those.

My own guess it is related to my "quit smoking cigarettes", as I've had some side-effects this week (zits! D: )