Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theronus View Post
    Man! The wow fanboys are on fire today!
    Yeah anything that isn't praise to SWTOR is clearly from some water army employed by blizzard to hinder the greatness that SWTOR is to destroy WoW. Guess all the subs lost were WoW spies trying to bring it down from the inside as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    I think I also missed the note where EVE was the biggest gaming budget to date numbering into hundreds of millions, did I miss that note? If so can I see it?

Sub games don't go F2P unless they're failing, period. Show me proof of people tending to pay more than they would with a sub and that it isn't just the influx of more people please, I'll be waiting, a long time I'll bet. And your list of F2P games that have grown, did you for example know that LOTRO is back at pre F2P levels now? F2P does not fix the problems that made people leave to begin with, it's band aid on a severed artery, just like the massive server merges proved to be instead of the long term fix some hailed it as.
    there is an article about LOTRO
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/07/lo...g-free-to-pla/

this is about DCUO
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/11...-dcuo-players/

In both those cases it brought in tons of players who eventually spent money. Since doubling your revenues, generally means people spent money. Thats what happened in LOTRO, why do you think they did it after they converted DDO. It makes money!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
    You say it as some sort of fact yet it won the award for best MMORPG in 2011 and most of all the reviews it has received are rating it with 8-9/10. So keep your pretty opinion to yourself or learn to express it as an opinion and not a fact.

I think that hundreds of thousands players who are playing the game to this day would like a word with you. You may try as hard as you want to make it look like it's a major failure but the reality is that the game IS doing fine and WILL do better in the future.

The passion in bashing the game and hating it on almost every level possible is too damn high!
    it won an award for 2011? so for the 2 weeks left of 2011 it won an award or did it get that award for been in beta?

100 of thousands you say? not million plus like it once had, i dont need to try and make the game look like a failer, anyone can see that for them self with the loss of subs since launch which by the way have never gone up and have always dropped. to the free to play model with in a year of launch, only mmos that had a pay monthly model that go to free to play are seen as a failer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostagecat View Post

So again till they shut the servers down this game isnt FAIL!!!!
    Warhammer Online

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Yes we should have forum moderators who don't know anything about the game. That sounds like a great idea.
    no but i expect a forum mod to look after there forum with out putting any personl feeling into it and be as impartial as he can be, after all they are here to uphold the rules of the forums not bitch slap people for talk smack about there favourite game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the many times larger amount of players that left the game (700k in the first quarter alone) would like a word with you. The signs of it being a failure are everywhere to be seen by anyone not sticking their head into the sand, and sticking your head into the sand won't make it better. You expect me to believe a truly MASSIVE loss of subs for the biggest budget in history leading to it going F2P in less than a year despite the people behind the game defending the subscription model several times and proclaiming it superior and the publisher giving unspecific numbers for subscription count and hanging up on a guy who wants more specific numbers are signs of the game doing good? Because that is exactely what you're saying it looks like.
    MMO doesn't need millions of players to be profitable. SWTOR maintained enough players to manage profit therefore it is not a fail. IT could have done better, sure, I'm not denying that but the game is fine right now and is about to get better.

Sub games don't go F2P unless they're failing, period.
    They do if the market changes. And markets do that quite often, you know. If that's what most of the players want (surely there is much more players playing F2P MMO'S than P2P) then even large games and developers must consider going with the flow.

By the way, WAR is considered a fail by many many people, did it go F2P ? No. F2P =/= fail, period.

^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Guntha View Post
    it won an award for 2011? so for the 2 weeks left of 2011 it won an award or did it get that award for been in beta?

100 of thousands you say? not million plus like it once had, i dont need to try and make the game look like a failer, anyone can see that for them self with the loss of subs since launch which by the way have never gone up and have always dropped. to the free to play model with in a year of launch, only mmos that had a pay monthly model that go to free to play are seen as a failer.
    Didn't even WAR manage to grow for the first three months before plummiting to its death?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Most players are too used to the carebear features that WoW has implemented, players are just to impatient and lazy, thats the only reason players are leaving, WoW was launched at a perfect time where MMO players were looking for something different but looking back to Vanilla it was not really that good, TBC is where subs in WoW started to leap upwards, ToR is more than worth the money you pay for, I paid 50 bucks for D3 and got around a few hundred hours gameplay out of it and you dont see me complaining with the lack of replayability, if ToR gives you at least 40-50 hours gameplay for just the box price and leveling to 50 which is more than worth that.

Excessive loading times are mainly due to players with low spec comps like myself which was severely underpowered but I still managed to play it, the forums only represent a small minority of which are mainly only saying the negative things about a game whereas the majority remain silent. ToR had a few bugs here and there but none were gamebreaking just annoying, ToR is more than equal quality for gameplay, I prefer the way the classes work rather than WoW and the OPs are more interesting along with a much better leveling experience, I hate leveling but I enjoyed it and this is one area where you cant say is bad and covers the box price and more.

WoW has lost more than 3 million subs in 3 months, considering a 50/50 split in east and west meaning around 5 mill in the west and 4.1 million in the east and there is probably less in the west, the east only gives blizzard less than 10% of the revenue so blizzard is relying on mainly 5 million subs at most for 90% of the total revenue for WoW, MoP may bring some of that 3 million back but with what they are bringing I can see the numbers dropping back down by next quarter.

ToR cost around 80-120million max and within 6 months they have already made that money back and more so anymore is profit from the 6 month point, the playerbase is just slightly less than 1 million at this point so it is nowhere near a failure, F2P is going to be the standard pretty soon anyway as a good majority of the playerbase want this model but so long as it still has an optional sub model in play I am all for it. I could see WoW possibly bringing a similar F2P model in the not to near future.

I admit the game has not done amazing but its still a good game and I much prefer it to WoW anyday and I played since vanilla along with being a realm first raider from end of uld onwards till that fail dragon soul raid which bore the hell out of me to finally quit my WoW habbit.
    wow has not lost 3 million subs in 3 months it has lost 1.1 million, it lost 1.8 for the total of last year.

get your facts right befor posting

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    Warhammer Online
    They havent shut it down. Shadowbane, Tabula Rasa, now those games you can make a rightful claim they are failed. WAR even though its not my cup of tea, has a loyal paying fanbase and is still ON.

From my understand parts of the game are free, but others you need to pay for; which ones they are I do not know?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokonorb View Post
    Didn't even WAR manage to grow for the first three months before plummiting to its death?
    WAR flopped at the day of launch due to the game been put out unfinished, the game was so full of bugs you could barely play the game, it taken atleast 2-3 months to sort that out, by that time the damage had been done and it was only the real die hard left. Bioware did fix alot of things apart for T4 endgame which they screwed up even more.

but whats funny is that its still a pay to play game unlike swtor who has tanked faster.

so two big named mmo's from EA and both have tanked... there is starting to look like a pattern here.

---------- Post added 2012-08-09 at 01:12 PM ----------

MMO doesn't need millions of players to be profitable. SWTOR maintained enough players to manage profit therefore it is not a fail. IT could have done better, sure, I'm not denying that but the game is fine right now and is about to get better.

They do if the market changes. And markets do that quite often, you know. If that's what most of the players want (surely there is much more players playing F2P MMO'S than P2P) then even large games and developers must consider going with the flow.

By the way, WAR is considered a fail by many many people, did it go F2P ? No. F2P =/= fail, period.

^^
    EA lost over 100 million on swtor so far according to the figues in the investors call.

the only people saying that free to play is the way forward, is EA them self, becuase they want to be market leaders and other gaming companys that already have a free to play mmo or game.

companys such as Blizzard and Trion who both have P2P mmos have yet to say free to play is the way forward and seeing as these 2 mmo's are doing far better then swtor and the rest, id rather listen to the market leaders than companys like EA who just want to milk there game and turn to free to play at the first sign of trouble.

Deleted
    With its steady decline, I doubt it. And again, you claim having lost well over half their playerbase and still being unable to have any high res textures of massive world pvp due to its trusty engine along with shutting down over 100 servers in north america alone, leaving only 12, are clear signs of it doing great? When EA themselves says it's failed, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say it's failed.

Only that, the market has not shifted, there are plenty of sub games doing good, that's just BS from EA to paint the SWTOR failure in a more positive light and make their F2P shift seem better than it is. WAR has recieved literally no updates that weren't in the pipe and almost ready at launch, its subs can probably be counted in five digits. F2P for a sub model IS failure, but it's not the only thing. Saying WAR is doing good is like saying a guy in a coma is living a rich and fullfilling life where he engages in many social activities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theronus View Post
    Well with no content in 9 months for their $15 a month, they dont have much to talk about

WAR flopped at the day of launch due to the game been put out unfinished, the game was so full of bugs you could barely play the game, it taken atleast 2-3 months to sort that out, by that time the damage had been done and it was only the real die hard left. Bioware did fix alot of things apart for T4 endgame which they screwed up even more.

but whats funny is that its still a pay to play game unlike swtor who has tanked faster.

so two big named mmo's from EA and both have tanked... there is starting to look like a pattern here.
    Or EA thinks it can make even more money by microtransactions, when all those free to players realize cool looking gear can be bought with real money. Maybe TOR is easier to convert because it still has tons more developers who have not be laid off. Lets face it EA hasnt had a good track with MMOs, they have shut down two of them that i can recall. But a lot of folks would probably agree with you on EA not being composed of the smartest guys in the room, however on the free to play thing I think they are making a strategic move to put them in front of pack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    Well with no content in 9 months for their $15 a month, they dont have much to talk about
    no but wow has a whole new xpac next month that will bring in the lost subs and sum, just like every xpac has done before.

Deleted
    no but wow has a whole new xpac next month that will bring in the lost subs and sum, just like every xpac has done before.
    you mean like cata did?

plus its not a whole xpac, theyre cutting bits out because they need to get it into Q3 to try to inflate their sub numbers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostagecat View Post
    Or EA thinks it can make even more money by microtransactions, when all those free to players realize cool looking gear can be bought with real money. Maybe TOR is easier to convert because it still has tons more developers who have not be laid off. Lets face it EA hasnt had a good track with MMOs, they have shut down two of them that i can recall. But a lot of folks would probably agree with you on EA not being composed of the smartest guys in the room, however on the free to play thing I think they are making a strategic move to put them in front of pack.
    yep swtor will be pay to win with in the next 6 months and it will make EA tons of money, but you want get the top grade content that BW would have hope to put out. Also it would work out cheaper for the player to just pay a monthly sub than all the crap that will be tied into the cash shop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only that, the market has not shifted, there are plenty of sub games doing good, that's just BS from EA to paint the SWTOR failure in a more positive light and make their F2P shift seem better than it is. WAR has recieved literally no updates that weren't in the pipe and almost ready at launch, its subs can probably be counted in five digits. F2P for a sub model IS failure, but it's not the only thing. Saying WAR is doing good is like saying a guy in a coma is living a rich and fullfilling life where he engages in many social activities.
    Doing good ? Sub games are bleeding players on every front. Gosh, this is getting really boring. Who said WAR is doing good ? You said F2P is basically a sign of failure. I asked why then is WAR still P2P ? Either it must be doing good (which it doesn't) or F2P is a fresh (and succesful) direction for every future mmo there. Trying to defend a sub model is kind of pathetic with games like Guild War 2 soon out there.

companys such as Blizzard and Trion who both have P2P mmos have yet to say free to play is the way forward and seeing as these 2 mmo's are doing far better then swtor and the rest, id rather listen to the market leaders than companys like EA who just want to milk there game and turn to free to play at the first sign of trouble.
    You say that as if Activision/Blizzard don't milk their games. Let me remind you of an Annual Pass and the RMAH in Diablo 3.

With its steady decline
    We'll see how steady it was by the time next earning calls will be out.

When EA themselves says it's failed, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say it's failed.
    I'd like an exact quotation of that statement please.

yep swtor will be pay to win with in the next 6 months and it will make EA tons of money
    please, give me a proof of what you have just said ? because I would like to very much know, when exactly they said it's going to be pay to win
    Last edited by Crysis; 2012-08-09 at 12:28 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyUK View Post
    you mean like cata did?
    Cata did bring back the subs, it wasnt untill after Cata went live that the subs started to fall, resulting in a 1,8 million loss

Swtor hit the high street WoW subs stayed at 10.2 million, you can say it is swtor that has taken the subs off wow this year due to swtor losing more subs than wow has so far, but blizzard knows that they have the next xpac around the corner and they know that the subs will come back, for a short period of time. Thats how wow has always worked, thats why they are the market leaders and other companys such as EA and BW try to copy them.

what was it that EA said a few days ago, swtor free to play will bring in 50 million players..... really 50 million, i want what he smoked

Doing good ? Sub games are bleeding players on every front. Gosh, this is getting really boring. Who said WAR is doing good ? You said F2P is basically a sign of failure. I asked why then is WAR still P2P ? Either it must be doing good (which it doesn't) or F2P is a fresh (and succesful) direction for every future mmo there. Trying to defend a sub model is kind of pathetic with games like Guild War 2 soon out there.

You say that as if Activision/Blizzard don't milk their games. Let me remind you of an Annual Pass and the RMAH in Diablo 3.

We'll see how steady it was by the time next earning calls will be out.

I'd like an exact quotation of that statement please.

please, give me a proof of what you have just said ? because I would like to very much know, when exactly they said it's going to be pay to win
    dont forget the sparkle pony, and pets....