118. This poll is closed
  • Galactus

48 40.68%
  • Gohan

70 59.32%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Yeah, I was referring to the character swaps, the situation painted makes no sense and I was under the impression it was made in order to explain why Gohan should win. The reason I'm making such a deal about it is because it implies Gohan has some personal grudge or vendetta against Galactus, which isn't the case. We all know everyone's going to say 'Yeah but Gohan has untapped potential' which is true but it only materialises when Gohan gets emotional, which wouldn't happen in a fight without committment.
    Gohan's "potential", as far as I consider it, was unlocked fully after Supreme Kai's ritual granted him access to the Mystic state (if you can call it a state...). If he fights, he doesn't need to bother with transformations, and he probably doesn't need to worry about emotional state.... he can use the power, the question is only whether or not he would choose to. I think, after Majin Buu, Gohan might still incrementally increase power proportionate to the fight, but he won't hold back anymore if the fight requires him to.

That being said, Laurcus' comparison of the Godblast to the scope of Gohan's powers does certainly put things into perspective. It doesn't seem like Galactus is actually all that strong a fighter, and that his normal sheer invulnerability to attacks is what lets him get away with.... well, consuming the cosmos. It seems like it takes him a lot of time to do, well, anything... so much time that most of his abilities aren't especially useful in actual combat, especially versus an opponent with speed like Gohan.

Leaning towards Gohan now.

Both of these characters make me want to puke but I can stand galactus that much more
    Last edited by Markluzz; 2012-06-22 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnash View Post
    That being said, Laurcus' comparison of the Godblast to the scope of Gohan's powers does certainly put things into perspective. It doesn't seem like Galactus is actually all that strong a fighter, and that his normal sheer invulnerability to attacks is what lets him get away with.... well, consuming the cosmos. It seems like it takes him a lot of time to do, well, anything... so much time that most of his abilities aren't especially useful in actual combat, especially versus an opponent with speed like Gohan.

Leaning towards Gohan now.
    Hmm, the wiki seemed to have a lot more powers listed but I've not been taking part in these threads so I'm not sure if we're just allowed to go on what was posted in the OP, otherwise I'd comment that he can create 'virtually impenetrable fields' and can read minds, along with a shit ton more riduclously overpowered abilities. My jaw almost dropped when reading it through :S

Hmm, the wiki seemed to have a lot more powers listed but I've not been taking part in these threads so I'm not sure if we're just allowed to go on what was posted in the OP, otherwise I'd comment that he can create 'virtually impenetrable fields' and can read minds, along with a shit ton more riduclously overpowered abilities. My jaw almost dropped when reading it through :S
    Anything with regards to a character that is considered canon can be used in these debates. The "virtually impenetrable fields" doesn't really do anything against the amount of power that Gohan possesses. Read minds? DBZ characters can do that too /wink. But if there's a point you feel should be brought up that hasn't been mentioned, by all means bring it forward. My mind can still be changed. Just keep in mind that just because a character has a power, it doesn't mean that it will be particularly useful in a fight. In one of the previous fights, there was a character who had the ability to change people's fates... you'd think by default she would have won the entire competition. But after we dug into it a bit, we pretty much decided that that ability couldn't be used to win a fight... it either took too much preparation, or she couldn't do it with purpose, or couldn't fully control it. Galactus' abilities might be moot either because they take to long to use, are insignificant compared to whatever power or resistances Gohan possesses, or because they can't really be used in a fight the way we might think could be implied. In Galactus' case, this normally means referring to the comic book in which the power was revealed, and seeing how it was actually used.

Anything with regards to a character that is considered canon can be used in these debates.
    Oh no, that was just to clarify your assessment that his sheer invulnerability to attacks (which I'm now realising I interperated as invulnerable to physical attacks which might explain any confusion :P) is what allowed him to consume the cosmos, wanted to point out he has far more tricks up his sleeve than that :P

I'll add a rebuttal in later, preparing food atm :P

15+ Year Old Account
    I voted for Galactus. As a fan of Marvel comics and as a fan of DBZ, I can say this. Gohan wimps out. Plain and simple. If we're talking Cell Saga Gohan, sure, I could see him being able to stand a chance against a cosmic entity of Galactus's power level (no pun actually intended), but considering that Galactus is, by technical standards, immortal, and Gohan is most definitely not, Galactus wins just on longevity alone.

Keep this in mind. Galactus CREATED some of the most powerful characters in Marvel comics, most of which have been necessary to protect Earth from him (the best example being the Silver Surfer). In actuality, the following heroes have stopped Galactus without use of the power cosmic.

- The Fantastic Four, who needed assistance from the Watcher to obtain technology capable of weakening Galactus (which was actually his own technology).

- Thor, who as previously stated, had to use his God Blast ability to do so. The person making that quote knows nothing of Marvel comics and just how powerful the God Blast actually is. There's a reason Thor rarely, if ever, uses it. It's practically the magnitude of force capable of bringing forth Ragnarok in Asgard. In other words, it's a power that's capable of destroying a portion of a universe on it's own.

- Ghost Rider, who used the Penance Stare to weaken Galactus by forcing upon him the guilt of slaying BILLIONS of lives. Imagine, if he had only slain millions, that probably would have just tickled.

Gohan, in current continuity, lacks any of the power of those three examples. Gohan loses.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Oh no, that was just to clarify your assessment that his sheer invulnerability to attacks (which I'm now realising I interperated as invulnerable to physical attacks which might explain any confusion :P) is what allowed him to consume the cosmos, wanted to point out he has far more tricks up his sleeve than that :P

I'll add a rebuttal in later, preparing food atm :P
    Well, that was merely my assessment as to why he didn't get his butt kicked by the plethora of characters in the Marvel Universe that are probably offensively stronger than him. The Power Cosmic has a lot of abilities listed for it, but unfortunately I don't know the type of context in which they are used (whereas I do know Gohan's powers and how they are and can be used). I know we have a few comic book aficionados here, but the only comic book context provided so far is Galactus getting whooped by the Godblast, which is a pretty insignificant attack compared to what Gohan can deal out with a Kamehameha.

---------- Post added 2012-06-21 at 10:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I voted for Galactus. As a fan of Marvel comics and as a fan of DBZ, I can say this. Gohan wimps out. Plain and simple. If we're talking Cell Saga Gohan, sure, I could see him being able to stand a chance against a cosmic entity of Galactus's power level (no pun actually intended), but considering that Galactus is, by technical standards, immortal, and Gohan is most definitely not, Galactus wins just on longevity alone.

Keep this in mind. Galactus CREATED some of the most powerful characters in Marvel comics, most of which have been necessary to protect Earth from him (the best example being the Silver Surfer). In actuality, the following heroes have stopped Galactus without use of the power cosmic.

- The Fantastic Four, who needed assistance from the Watcher to obtain technology capable of weakening Galactus (which was actually his own technology).

- Thor, who as previously stated, had to use his God Blast ability to do so. The person making that quote knows nothing of Marvel comics and just how powerful the God Blast actually is. There's a reason Thor rarely, if ever, uses it. It's practically the magnitude of force capable of bringing forth Ragnarok in Asgard. In other words, it's a power that's capable of destroying a portion of a universe on it's own.

- Ghost Rider, who used the Penance Stare to weaken Galactus by forcing upon him the guilt of slaying BILLIONS of lives. Imagine, if he had only slain millions, that probably would have just tickled.

Gohan, in current continuity, lacks any of the power of those three examples. Gohan loses.
    For the most part, we are discussing current iterations of characters. This means that Gohan is now Mystic Gohan, has had his potentially fully unlocked, and is more powerful than he as even been at any other given point in the series.

I admit the Godblast is powerful, but you underestimate the potential of Gohan's offensive abilities. Broly, the Legendary Super Saiyan, blows up entire galaxies. I can't even begin to describe the scale by which Gohan surpasses Broly by the end of DBZ. In DBZ, there is a concept known as "power condensing", which means that an attack does not necessarily have to be massive in size or destructive after-effect to have a massive amount of power. While Gohan never actually blows up a planet (Vegeta does blow up a planet and a star, both at a comparatively pathetic power level), he by far possess the power to do that and much, much more. He could probably blow up the universe late in the series. I'd say that Gohan's offensive capability is on the level of the Godblast.

The whole longevity thing... yeah, I mentioned that earlier. I don't think there's a time limit on these fights, which is slightly annoying. Galactus could just run off and chill in some remote corner of the universe, and Gohan wouldn't be able to do a damn thing about it. Furthermore, Galactus could just off and teleport Gohan to the middle of space (= dead Gohan). My only question would be how quickly he could accomplish either of these... if it takes longer than the smallest fraction of a second (aka not instantaneous), then Gohan has plenty of time to lay it out.
    Last edited by Darnash; 2012-06-22 at 05:27 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Gohan has proven later in the series that his ability to tap into his hidden power is beyond his grasp. He couldn't do it against Dabura, and he never did anything in GT.
    *cough* Mystic Gohan *cough*
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

10+ Year Old Account
    Had to think about this one for a few minutes, but went with Gohan.

I've noticed in a few matches, people have brought up match time limit. I don't think there is an official rule, but I personally assume the match lasts as long as the thread does (4 days), so I don't use the "Run away, wait till the opponent dies of old age" strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    Had to think about this one for a few minutes, but went with Gohan.

I've noticed in a few matches, people have brought up match time limit. I don't think there is an official rule, but I personally assume the match lasts as long as the thread does (4 days), so I don't use the "Run away, wait till the opponent dies of old age" strategy.
    Personally, I'd consider that a win anyway. If Galactus goes to Earth, (or whatever) and says, "Hahaha hahahahahahaha! I will now kill you Son Gohan! *runs away to the other side of the universe* and Gohan says, "Huh, that sure was odd. I wonder what Mom's making for dinner?" I just can't call that a loss.

Also, if we want to throw out ridiculous arguments like old age, Gohan can always just blow up whatever section of the universe Galactus runs away to.

Lol not even close, Galactus would just teleport a black hole on his ass.

Plus I don't like DBZ
    Last edited by muto; 2012-06-22 at 10:04 AM.

So I was intimidated by the op description of that Galactus. But after another poster showed how some lesser beings can beat him, Gohan it is then, the most powerful warrior ever.

Deleted
    Immortality. Just say no.

Gohan can be killed, with some effort, so he gets my vote.

I would give this match to Gohan. Gohan's inner rage could overwhelm Galactus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mails-Prowers View Post
    I would give this match to Gohan. Gohan's inner rage could overwhelm Galactus.
    He doesn't have it.

If we're using current incarnations, and we're calling Goku a god, Gohan doesn't have his inner rage. We saw him lose it during the Buu saga, because of the lack of training and time spent without anything threatening the planet. After Buu, Gohan spends more years doing absolutely nothing but studying. During GT, he's barely a background character, and only serves to get his ass kicked by everyone. We don't even see him going SSJ2. Following that, his inner rage is hard enough to tap into anyway when it was possible. It took a real threat doing unspeakable horrors and a surprisingly peaceful android to get him to release it. His power is greatly diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    His power is greatly diminished.
    Eh, I wouldn't say that. Yes, compared to GT Goku and the GT villains he's a pansy, but that doesn't mean he is a pushover in a fight. He gains access to Mystic form, so he doesn't need SSJ2 anymore, or any transformation for that matter. It's possible that his fighting ability may have deteriorated since Buu, but I'd still say that with his Mystic form he is far more powerful than he was when he beat Perfect Cell, and probably still more powerful than SSJ3 Goku was during Buu saga.

Eh, I wouldn't say that. Yes, compared to GT Goku and the GT villains he's a pansy, but that doesn't mean he is a pushover in a fight. He gains access to Mystic form, so he doesn't need SSJ2 anymore, or any transformation for that matter. It's possible that his fighting ability may have deteriorated since Buu, but I'd still say that with his Mystic form he is far more powerful than he was when he beat Perfect Cell, and probably still more powerful than SSJ3 Goku was during Buu saga.
    Pretty much this. Elder Kai's ability just unlocked Gohan's hidden power, permanently. He no longer needs that rage that he had against Cell, because he always has the power he got from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gt gohan still easily beat rilldo who was stronger than majin buu

in the super 17 saga

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    Then he forgot how to go mystic in GT. If we are using GT goku I think we should also use GT Gohan.
    Or he didn't want to use Mystic. He went Mystic in Z only when he went to max power, which was Super Saiyan 2. He only goes Super Saiyan twice in GT if I recall, and neither was a particularly difficult situation. Once was against possessed Goten, his much weaker younger brother whom he still cared about. He was trying to diffuse that situation, not escalate it by sckadushing his face in 0.2 seconds as Mystic. The second time, if I recall, was against Syn Shenron, and he didn't actually fight much if at all. He just went Super Saiyan and then Goku did his thing.

And as pointed out by Genn, he fought Rildo, who was stated by Goku to be 5 times stronger than Buu, though he didn't win, he did hold his own for a bit. And actually, I just rewatched that scene, and I'm not so sure he didn't go Mystic against Rildo. Maybe it's just an animation error, but after Gohan shows up, there's a scene change, and when it cuts back to Gohan he's missing his glasses and his hair is standing up more straight, almost as if he transformed. Him transforming off camera makes a hell of a lot more sense than him not even going SS1 for the lawls, and still handling Rildo, who should have been at least 500 times more powerful than his base form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gohan is stupid strong, but I don't remember him bringing anything back to life or creating portals in space. It seems like Galactus is Gohan 5.0. He has the strength of Gohan but can do other stuff too. Gohan is tough, and would utterly destroy most other match ups, but...is *anything* stronger than Galactus?