Thread: Is it worth it?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is it worth it?

So I have a question for everyone. With the increasing amount boredom while waiting for guild wars 2 to come out I was wondering if it was worth playing the original guild wars. I have never played it before and I was wondering is it like a prelude to GW2 or a completely different story?

I have been playing rift a little here and there but, could use a change of pace.

thanks for any answers!

-smerf

You could always use the HoM stuff as an incentive to start playing it. That's what I did, but once I started I genuinely enjoyed the game. It's not for everybody, because some people are put off by the gameplay, but you could always try the free trial for yourself and see if you like it. The storylines in game were fantastic for me, and I could see ties to some of the lore in Guild Wars 2 when I played through the game. I'd say it's worth it!

I'm kinda glad this wasn't the thread I was expecting lol

It's in the same world, but it's 250 years before GW2, so the main figures in GW1 are pretty much dead in GW2. You'll still see some familiar places though, as well as how the world has changed and evolved over time.

I think it depends on if you can really get into the game or not, and what you want to achieve. Do you want the cosmetic rewards in GW2 that you get from playing GW1? Are you ready for a different type of game that will have a pretty good learning curve on just basic knowledge for the game?

I just bought GW1 earlier this year for the 30 HoM points . I got about 20 days of played time by the time I got 30 points for $30 and all the cosmetic rewards for a game I'll be playing later this year, so I feel like it was definitely worth it. It took a bit for me to get into the game, but once I got the hang of it, and I started to get the grinding down, I was actually starting to enjoy it.

yeah it would be more for the learning curve.. although I didn't know about the cosmetics thats kinda kool tbh. Im gonna hit my room tonight, turn the lights down low and see where things go tonight.. lol.. thanks for the advice!

Probably not.

GW1 is a very particular type of game. Quite a good game. Don't expect GW1 to be anything like GW2 other than in setting and design principle.

GW1 is an acquired taste to say the least. I played it for a few years in the past and personally can't get into it. If you're going in just for the lore, I would personally recommend watching the cinematics on youtube/reading the wiki or something along those lines. Also, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARZWX51hYYk is probably good. I haven't watched it, but it's Wooden Potatoes so I'm assuming it's accurate and informative.

The gameplay is completely different in GW1, and the only real similarity that most people will notice is lore. It also shares some design choices, but that will likely not be blatantly obvious.

Deleted
    I've been thinking a little about the HoM thing, mostly for the rewards. Is it that difficult to get? Some of the item rewards look very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Smerfnurblin View Post
    I was wondering is it like a prelude to GW2
    I think it's worth noting that if this is what you're looking for then you might find it worth it to read the 2 books. Edge of destiny, and Ghosts of Ascalon. GoA was written first, but EoD takes place a few years before GoA, so some people say to read EoD first.

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    I've been thinking a little about the HoM thing, mostly for the rewards. Is it that difficult to get? Some of the item rewards look very nice indeed.
    I wouldn't really say it's difficult, just a bit time consuming especially for first time players, and there's a lot of learning to be done to get there. Like I said it took me 20 days of played time to get 30 points, although probably 3-5 of those days were me just being afk since you don't auto log off from being afk too long. I also did everything solo with no outside help except for the occasional question.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-06-15 at 03:55 PM.

Depends which item rewards you're looking for. Getting 30 points will require a significant amount of either money or time, but getting like.. 15 points would likely not be difficult.

Super easy. Half of them are like for doing the campaigns. Which are fun and can basically do those missions without break.

As long as you can dial into the uniqueness of GW1, you should get the 30/30 HOM easily and enjoy the game quite a lot by course.

I'm still getting into GW1. I played it in the past, but never very seriously. I need to get Eye of the North yet, then I can start working on HoM stuff. I want that raccoon! :P

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies all =) One of my worries was that I'd need groups and such to do it, as I'm timid when it comes to requesting help, usually. I don't mind spending money on the game, it'll be really nice to see a bit of the world as it was 250 years ago.

Thanks for the replies all =) One of my worries was that I'd need groups and such to do it, as I'm timid when it comes to requesting help, usually. I don't mind spending money on the game, it'll be really nice to see a bit of the world as it was 250 years ago.
    Nah, you'll be able to do everything solo, at least with the right hero build. You might run into 1 or 2 missions that get difficult, but all it takes is some readjusting of your heroes and their skills and it becomes a cake walk.

Don't be afraid to ask questions either, people are usually pretty good about answering them and helping out.

If you run into people in the hubs before a mission, they are likely to help or do the same mission with you. Usually the only reason others are in that particular hub is for the missions. Otherwise they are hanging out in PVP lobby or in the staging areas for JQ/FA. Don't be a wimp. Ask for help.

There is a LFG tool, btw.

Deleted
    Personaly i got hold of GW1 for Hall of Monument goodies but couldn't get into it really want the HoM awards but don't really enjoy GW that much, just to reiterate i've played BWE2 and GW2 is something completely amazing and beautiful.

Deleted
    I really enjoy the lore...and, obviously, am in to GW2 (as far as one can be)...but I found it a struggle to play GW1.

I still have it installed...and I like the idea of the rewards etc...but it wasn't working for me. I acknowledge that I've only played it a small amount, but am in no massive rush to load it.

Download the demo and see if you like it. freetrial
    Didn't take me that long to get to 30 HoM. MMOC has a GW1 guild that's admittedly not all that active right now but at least there'll be some people around.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-06-16 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Didn't take me that long to get to lvl 30.
    SQUIRREL IS HAXXOR.
    Anyways yeah, I completely forgot there was a demo. Go with that before you buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    SQUIRREL IS HAXXOR.
    Anyways yeah, I completely forgot there was a demo. Go with that before you buy it.
    Lol......that was dumb of me. 30 HoM ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Smerfnurblin View Post
    So I have a question for everyone. With the increasing amount boredom while waiting for guild wars 2 to come out I was wondering if it was worth playing the original guild wars. I have never played it before and I was wondering is it like a prelude to GW2 or a completely different story?

I have been playing rift a little here and there but, could use a change of pace.

thanks for any answers!

-smerf
    That's like asking if x food tastes good or if y band makes good music... very subjective question.

But is paying about $20 for GW1 or $30 for GW1 + the first two (standalone) expansions? Depends on how much $20/$30 is worth to you and your game preferences. For some people it would be a no brainer, for others it would be a waist of a weeks worth of food.

Subjectively, I enjoy it, not one of the best games I have played, but still good enough to warrant the cost. Objectively you can not answer. So to answer your question there is no way to answer your question since some people love overly spicy food and eat handfuls of habinaros as snacks daily, while others find mild (basically tomato paste) salsa way to spicy.

If $20/$30 won't break the bank for you then go ahead and try it, but if it will then spend your money on more important things like food and rent. Just realize that GW1 compared to GW2 is like (not as bad but similar) comparing Warcraft 3 to World of Warcraft, they are different games in a different genre with the same lore... one is a MMORPG and the other is a multi player online RPG (again not as bad of a comparison between that and the difference between RTS and MMORPG, but different enough non the less).