What? Total War: Warhammer is good.

Iron Harvest is good too, it's a Steam Punk WW1-era RTS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Theres tons of them, though...

Resident Cosplay Progressive

It's clear OP wasn't talking about RTS games or Grand Strategy, but turn based/tactical roleplaying, which is a pretty niche genre nowadays, check out Mechanicus it's pretty good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there is one game that can kinda fit this -- The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos

But its more of a story driven one with scripted fights. (if you are thinking of a grid-position-turnbased combat)

King's Bounty II is the closest thing that will come later similar to that game.

Those type of strategy games arent that popular any more.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nzembwamugumbwalchu View Post
    What happened to good fantasy strategy games like Heroes of Might and Magic or Disciples? Why are not new ones like those appearing anymore?
    New disciples game coming out this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    games where i can upgrade and manage my ship/spaceship/mech/whatever? like eve online, star citizen, FTL. any genre, whether its turnbased, RTS or any other
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    games where i can upgrade and manage my ship/spaceship/mech/whatever? like eve online, star citizen, FTL. any genre, whether its turnbased, RTS or any other
    Sadly, mecha is an underexplored genre in gaming. There are few mecha games at all, fewer that are available in English, and fewer that let you customize your mechs. Off of the top of my head:

• Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries (not MW5). However, the only visual customization you can do for your mech is the camo/paint scheme. You also get to customize your 3 AI controlled party member's mechs. The developers declared it to be free way back when so you can just download it and play it for free.
    • Breaker Arts lets you visually customize your mech. Sadly, however, it is a racing game. You don't get to blow other mechs up. It's sad that no other mecha games have taken Breaker Art's mech customization and applied to fighting mecha games.

Spaceships

• Kerbal Space Program lets you build your own spaceships, vehicles, and small space stations. However, it has more of a NASA feel going for it. Don't expect to make stuff like the Millennium Falcon.
    • Space Engineers is sorta like Minecraft, but in space. You can place down blocks and build big spaceships and space stations, and blow your creations up. Note that, like Minecraft, you can build stuff by yourself, but you'll have the most fun hopping into voice chat and playing with friends.

games where i can upgrade and manage my ship/spaceship/mech/whatever
    whether its turnbased, RTS or any other
    Might not be what you're looking for, but:

• Impossible Creatures is an old RTS in which you create your own units by mixing and matching creatures together. Do you want orcas that walk on land with lion arms? You can do that.
    • Spore let's you create your own buildings, vehicles, spaceships, and creatures. However, there isn't much depth to the gameplay and it has a cartoony artstyle, so your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-07-11 at 06:20 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

Looking for another MMO...

I'm growing tired of World of Warcraft.

It's too american for me, the company doesn't care about the consumer and only cares about churning out what they want for the most money instead of listening to their customers and catering to them.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Preliatus View Post

It's too american for me, the company doesn't care about the consumer and only cares about churning out what they want for the most money instead of listening to their customers and catering to them.

FFXIV is being hyped up as the alternative to WoW, but be warned that FFXIV is a singleplayer JRPG first, and an MMO second. Your first 300 hours of the game is mostly going to be doing the story alone: reading dialogue boxes talking to NPCs, watching cutscenes, travelling to talk to the next NPC, doing solo story missions, and then there will be the occasional mandatory 15-20 minute dungeon you queue through LFR with other people. Of the non WoW MMOs, FFXIV is the most polished and has the highest production values.

The next two biggest themepark MMOs are Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars 2. Note that both are cash shop heavy, and GW2 has an incredibly predatory cash shop. Both have story content but they're nothing worth writing home about. The GW2 story has some good setpieces but the writing is abysmal. In ESO and GW2, you can pretty much pick a direction and go adventuring wherever you want because the world level scales to you.

SWTOR, STO, and LotRO exist if you want singleplayer story experiences for your favorite franchise (Star Wars, Star Trek, or LotR), but they have aged terribly and have heavy milking via the cash shop.

Black Desert looks good but it's very cash shop heavy and is a Korean grinder. PvP was fun at launch but now it's completely unfair and balanced towards players who have been playing since the beginning and people who have paid real money for stuff like the ghillie suit.

Blade & Soul might appeal to you if all you care about is action combat and PvP. Same problems as your typical Asian MMO.

Otherwise, you'll have to look at emulators/private servers of older MMOs to find good stuff. Return of Reckoning exists if you want a faction war PvP heavy MMO with the Warhammer Fantasy IP. SWG Restoration III exists if you want a sandbox Star Wars MMO.

- - - Updated - - -

There are also kickstarter MMOs, like Shroud of the Avatar, Camelot Unchained, Crowfall, The Repopulation, Gloria Victis, etc, but AFAIK all of them are stuck in development hell and will likely never release in a polished state.

10+ Year Old Account
    what about NEW WORLD? jeff bezos' game

its got dark souls combat instead of tabbing, tho i dont even like DS, but its something different. most likely tho itll be DOA
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Preliatus View Post

A sizeable community is keeping Warhammer Online alive.

its got dark souls combat instead of tabbing, tho i dont even like DS, but its something different. most likely tho itll be DOA
    Pretty sad day for gaming when youve got the worlds richest man marking our hobby for his next harvest. Games these days lack soul... theyre all in it for the money, and it shows.

As we're at MMO's: My friends and I are thinking about starting a new one to play casually, so I'm looking for some suggestions. We all played WoW in the past, so we're quite used to similar systems, but are looking for something different. Some points:

1. I live in the US right now, they in Europe. It has to allow for cross-region play.
    2. We play less than once a week together for a few hours (on Saturday, on those days we don't have any other plans in RL). So something very casual-friendly would be good. Maybe something, where we can go on with story during the week and play on the weekend some dungeons together.
    3. We're mostly PvE fans and only play PvP occasionally, if at all.
    4. One of us is completely against action-based systems (e.g. active dodging or blocking like in many RPGs these days). There should at least be classes without that mechanic. An example would be Lancer from Tera, which she couldn't have played / wouldn't have enjoyed, but there were many other classes without such systems in the game.
    5. Currently we're three people, with maybe one ore two more joining. So some group content for around 3-5 people would be great.

We're thinking about FFXIV, my brother already plays it for some years and it may fit. One of us also really wants to try out New World, but it's still in alpha (beta starting today?) and the current iteration of the combat system is really putting off another one (see point 4). Any other suggestions or ideas about the MMOs I named?
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-07-20 at 03:32 PM.

There are a lot of unknowns regarding New World. It's being made by a brand new dev team and the first iteration of the game was... not fun. The second iteration might be better but we'll see how well it holds up after the honeymoon launch phase is over. The bigger problem is that, as @Nachtigal touched on, it's being made by Amazon, who haven't made games before and don't have a proven track record. It's unknown if they will pull a bait and switch where months after the game has launched and the media is no longer paying attention to it, if Amazon will insert crazy cash shop shenagains, and who knows if Amazon will shutter it after a couple years if it doesn't turn out to be a smash hit (it seems that every big gaming publisher expects their games to sell at least 4 million copies or something and anything less than that is considered a disappointment or a failure).

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    As we're at MMO's: My friends and I are thinking about starting a new one to play casually, so I'm looking for some suggestions. We all played WoW in the past, so we're quite used to similar systems, but are looking for something different. Some points:

1. I live in the US right now, they in Europe. It has to allow for cross-region play.
    2. We play less than once a week together for a few hours (on Saturday, on those days we don't have any other plans in RL). So something very casual-friendly would be good. Maybe something, where we can go on with story during the week and play on the weekend some dungeons together.
    3. We're mostly PvE fans and only play PvP occasionally, if at all.
    4. One of us is completely against action-based systems (e.g. active dodging or blocking like in many RPGs these days). There should at least be classes without that mechanic. An example would be Lancer from Tera, which she couldn't have played / wouldn't have enjoyed, but there were many other classes without such systems in the game.
    5. Currently we're three people, with maybe one ore two more joining. So some group content for around 3-5 people would be great.

We're thinking about FFXIV, my brother already plays it for some years and it may fit. One of us also really wants to try out New World, but it's still in alpha (beta starting today?) and the current iteration of the combat system is really putting off another one (see point 4). Any other suggestions or ideas about the MMOs I named?
    Right now in FFXIV you can't play across regions, ie Americans can't play with Europeans. The devs are planning to change that in a few months but that hasn't been implemented yet. The game plays slower than your average MMO so I'd imagine a time delay across the ocean would be tolerable, but again that feature hasn't been implemented yet so who knows how that will pan out in reality. The other problem with FFXIV is that is mostly a singleplayer game: you're going to be spending most of your time running to the next NPC, reading dialogue boxes talking to that NPC, watching cutscenes, doing solo duties, and then the occasional dungeon or trial you queue through LFR/Duty Finder with other people. FFXIV isn't a very co-op friendly game at first. Later on in the game, there is stuff you can do with friends but that's after you've gone through the 200-300 hour long story.

The only MMOs I can think of that would meet all of your criteria would be old tab target MMOs like STO, LotRO, SWTOR, etc. Again these are dated and have predatory cash shops. The big names like ESO or GW2 are action based and require you to react immediately, and a time delay across the ocean isn't going to be a very fun experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Right now in FFXIV you can't play across regions, ie Americans can't play with Europeans. The devs are planning to change that in a few months but that hasn't been implemented yet. The game plays slower than your average MMO so I'd imagine a time delay across the ocean would be tolerable, but again that feature hasn't been implemented yet so who knows how that will pan out in reality. The other problem with FFXIV is that is mostly a singleplayer game: you're going to be spending most of your time running to the next NPC, reading dialogue boxes talking to that NPC, watching cutscenes, doing solo duties, and then the occasional dungeon or trial you queue through LFR/Duty Finder with other people. FFXIV isn't a very co-op friendly game at first. Later on in the game, there is stuff you can do with friends but that's after you've gone through the 200-300 hour long story.

The only MMOs I can think of that would meet all of your criteria would be old tab target MMOs like STO, LotRO, SWTOR, etc. Again these are dated and have predatory cash shops. The big names like ESO or GW2 are action based and require you to react immediately, and a time delay across the ocean isn't going to be a very fun experience.
    Thanks for the response! Are you sure about the cross-region play restrictions for FFXIV? As far as I've seen, it should be possible. Though maybe I misunderstood, and it's still in planning. The restrictions about co-op play may be a dealbreaker, though, as we'd like to play together for the most part. I'll do some more research to see how restrictive it really is, it's still an option due to my brother playing as well.
    About the other suggestions: Maybe we'll check out one / some of those. Predatory cash shops aren't really an issue for us, as long as it's not as extreme as to ruin the experience of players who don't use it.
    Last edited by Frostfred; 2021-07-21 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfred View Post
    Are you sure about the cross-region play restrictions for FFXIV?
    FFXIV is divided into 8 data centers: 3 Japan DCs, 3 NA DCs, and 2 EU DCs. You can play people on any servers within the same DC. For example, if you and your friend created characters on the Crystal DC (with you having a character on the Balmung server and him having a character on Mateus server), you can play with each other. However, if your friend is on another DC (like you're on Crystal and he's on the Primal DC), then you can't play with each other right now (unless one of you pony up cash for a server transfer to a server in the other player's DC).

You can create a character on any DC, so if you're in the NA, there is nothing stopping you from creating a character on an EU DC so you can play with your friends, but there will be a time delay.

TL;DR: right now you just need to create a character on the same data center as your friends and one of you needs to endure a time delay. In a few months when data center travel is enabled, you will be able to have your character located on your local DC so you get a faster response time, and only have to put up with a time delay when you are temporarily playing with your friends on their DC.

About the other suggestions: Maybe we'll check out one / some of those. Predatory cash shops aren't really an issue for us, as long as it's not as extreme as to ruin the experience of players who don't use it.
    In GW2, you acquire a TON of items very very quickly during gameplay. Like obtaining 100 items within an hour. However, your bag space is very small, so every hour or two you have to stop and spend 15 minutes clearing out your bags... unless you pony up real money to buy for more bag or bank space. If you decide to take up a profession like mining, the mining tools ingame break very, very quickly, so you have to stockpile a lot of mining tools that take up bag space. Or you can pony up money to buy unbreakable mining tools. You can only save one specialization/talent tree build, so trying to have multiple builds you play with is a pain... unless you pony up real money so you can save more builds. Annoying stuff like that.

STO: They introduced P2W into the game with the Delta Rising expansion in the form of tier 6 ships. Previously the most powerful ships in the game were tier 5s, which were attainable through gameplay. But with Delta Rising, they introduced T6s which were cash shop exclusive and way more powerful than the T5s, invalidating people's hard work in obtaining T5 ships and the money spent on cash shop T5s. In addition, the Delta Rising expansion's difficulty was tuned around using T6s. Even if you had the best T5 setup, it was near impossible to complete the content.

Over the years, there have been events in which you could obtain a tier 6 ship (there is one running right now until the end of the month), but if you miss them, you're out of luck trying to complete that content.

In GW2, you acquire a TON of items very very quickly during gameplay. Like obtaining 100 items within an hour. However, your bag space is very small, so every hour or two you have to stop and spend 15 minutes clearing out your bags... unless you pony up real money to buy for more bag or bank space.
    Loot was reworked several years ago and now everything drops either container or unidentified gear of three rarities (that stack up to 250 and take exactly one slot per rarity in inventory).
    You can only save one specialization/talent tree build, so trying to have multiple builds you play with is a pain... unless you pony up real money so you can save more builds.
    It's three by default plus six in account storage. You can also copy and paste builds as text.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtigal View Post
    Pretty sad day for gaming when youve got the worlds richest man marking our hobby for his next harvest. Games these days lack soul... theyre all in it for the money, and it shows.
    There are still soulful games coming out. Scarlet nexus had a decent amount

FFXIV is divided into 8 data centers: 3 Japan DCs, 3 NA DCs, and 2 EU DCs. You can play people on any servers within the same DC. For example, if you and your friend created characters on the Crystal DC (with you having a character on the Balmung server and him having a character on Mateus server), you can play with each other. However, if your friend is on another DC (like you're on Crystal and he's on the Primal DC), then you can't play with each other right now (unless one of you pony up cash for a server transfer to a server in the other player's DC).

You can create a character on any DC, so if you're in the NA, there is nothing stopping you from creating a character on an EU DC so you can play with your friends, but there will be a time delay.
    Ah, yes, that's how I understood it as well. Though:

In a few months when data center travel is enabled, you will be able to have your character located on your local DC so you get a faster response time, and only have to put up with a time delay when you are temporarily playing with your friends on their DC.
    That's new to me. Thanks for the clarification!

I suggest Guildwars 2

-) they added tons of content over the years, not only with new expansions but also with updates in between
    -) a new expansion is coming in Feb 2022 - Cantha
    -) no subscription model
    -) really kind community
    -) no typical quest system but instead events and TONS of collections and secrets (which are often quite lore-heavy)
    -) must fun implementation of mounts I've ever seen in any game (each mount has specific skills which open up new areas or improve travelling through certain terrain)

short showcase