Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    It was specifically the title...and saying the pvp fails miserably...both of which you admitted to trolling with in your first post, albeit you tried to "soften" it by calling it "overdramatic"
    TBH I didn't get the impression he was trolling at all. The first thing he says is that it's overdramatic to draw people in, not that he actually believes it. It seemed to me that he wants to enjoy the game and have a discussion about some pretty relevant points when it comes to the sPvP in this game. ANet's goal is for this to be an eSport, the opinions of the more PvP-focused players should be expected to be nit-picky and perhaps a bit overdramatic, but (most of) their points have merit.

1 & 5 are definately my biggest issues.

While I didn't find the FOV/Zoom too terrible myself, my fiancée couldn't play more than 30m without getting motion sickness (she plays most FPSs with 90-120 FOV to combat this). I know shortly after BW2 there was a Reddit petition to have an FOV slider implemented, and it was very popular thread, but who knows if ANet will bother with it to cater to a small portion of impaired people. We may have to rely on .dll injectors and threats of being banned if I want to play with her.

The UI, while not terrible, has the teeniest, tiniest icons for buffs/debuffs. Not to mention, some have such a short uptime, you barely notice them till they're almost gone. I played Mesmer for most of BW2 so I was pretty keenly watching my buffs, but I'll tell yah, they should be about 30-50% larger.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Quote Originally Posted by Phishy714 View Post
    IMO, a simple number underneath or inside the icon will be plenty enough - and a way to toggle the number on/off in case you consider yourself too OP to have it on.
    unless you play with UI setting on Large putting inside of the conditions/boons will make it very hard to even see what the icon really is.

my issue with the boon/condition is the placement of their frame, this frame should be where they use the target frame, imo, thinking about swapping both would be awesome :P

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 03:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    TBH I didn't get the impression he was trolling at all. The first thing he says is that it's overdramatic to draw people in, not that he actually believes it. It seemed to me that he wants to enjoy the game and have a discussion about some pretty relevant points when it comes to the sPvP in this game. ANet's goal is for this to be an eSport, the opinions of the more PvP-focused players should be expected to be nit-picky and perhaps a bit overdramatic, but (most of) their points have merit.
    thank you, you got it right

Deleted
    1. Try to get used to it. its a new game with a new FoV. I got no problem with it.

2. Its smooth and it should be in every game. This stupid running as melee anoys me when i play a melee char in wow but also as a caster.

3. Just drops from players like random drops from pve npcs. nothing to complain about i think.

4. needed. it was a bit ugly to get strong abilitys from a tree by just having 10 points in it. some combos where too strong.

5. agreed, looking on actions is nice but a nicer look on the buff/debuffs would be nice too.

6. why? some down state skills are a little bit too strong but thats a balance issue (thief invis & port skill... somehow hard to end his life if you can´t catch him). the down state itself is great and fun.

7. do you mean the combo skills like shoot-bigger shoot- shoot with clone as the 1st skill from the mesmer? if yes i see no problem with them. they are just combos and more buttons to press wouldnt make it better.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I believe you have some valid points and regardless this is beta yeah? so why not voice your concerns now and see if enough feed back warrants a change rather than later and have a bunch of people upset because it got shouted down?

The number one thing I agree with is #1 the FoV is frustrating. there is no reason to not open it up and allow proper camera options. I cant tell you how many times ive gone to back out only to realize I cant. The game already does this for you on certain DE's when the boss is huge and lots of people are participating so..why cant we chose to do this ourselves?

5. I also would like to see improved. Yes you can get used to it but I think they can still improve here.

Lots of it is new game and perhaps new design decisions to get used to but that doesn't mean people shouldn't voice what bothers them as it only helps improve the game over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexies View Post
    I believe you have some valid points and regardless this is beta yeah? so why not voice your concerns now and see if enough feed back warrants a change rather than later and have a bunch of people upset because it got shouted down?
    Well most of his complaints are issues already being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Well most of his complaints are issues already being worked on.
    well i posted this soon after BWE2 in another forums, but as said on OP it died fast so im reviving it here, and considering posting also in guru, but that will attract many shit-flies :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    SNIPE
    You must have poor eye sight, i have my ui on one above the smallest setting and i can see everything with a 23" moniter.

Well, the only problem i had in PvP was the "FINISH" thing was just...meeh and the downed state was also useless imo. Well, it's a shame it doesn't suit ur taste, but like someone said..not everyone can have it their way.

Off-topic: I think there will be enough things to do in PvE before an expansion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    well i posted this soon after BWE2 in another forums, but as said on OP it died fast so im reviving it here, and considering posting also in guru, but that will attract many shit-flies :P
    In BWE3 try to necro up this thread again , and ask us to join and leave a comment in ur post at the officials forums
    Arenanet have already said , that they wont take freeback from any fansites
    We are sorry , we are kinda blined with hatred atm (no indoor raids omgggg its the end...)
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-06-25 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    In BWE3 try to necro up this thread again , and ask us to join and leave a comment in ur post at the officials forums
    Arenanet have already said , that they wont take freeback from any fansites
    We are sorry , we are kinda blined with hatred atm (no indoor raids omgggg...)

on BWE3 it will only sense to post this if they still persist

Not gonna lie.. 120 hrs is a LONG ASS TIME. Are you saying that 120 hours is not enough time to learn what each condition is and the timings on it? Wow..

While I think that the boon/condition positioning is in a good place, doesn't bother me too much, I don't agree with how they let you know how long the debuff has on it. Considering that there are 100 ways to further increase the duration on a debuff, all you really have going for you is.. a blinking yellow square (to tell you its ending soon, though you don't know how much longer) and a full yellow square ( that tells you that its not close to ending, but once again doesn't say how long you have on it).

IMO, a simple number underneath or inside the icon will be plenty enough - and a way to toggle the number on/off in case you consider yourself too OP to have it on.
    No, I'm saying that while 120 hours was possible, it's unlikely anyone actually played that much, and even if they had, I doubt "let's learn what every boon/condition symbol means!" was at the top of their priority list. And once you do know boons and condition icons, it's a short step to knowing (even if just by feel rather than a hard number) the duration of the effect, even as it stacks.

As soon as you start adding information to the UI, it becomes (seen as) mandatory to play based on that information, while GW2 is designed around a minimal UI. Again, as soon as you start playing the UI, you need to sit back and ask yourself what you're doing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartuck View Post
    I totally agree on most of the stuff you mentioned. I was totally hyped by GW2 until I played 2 beta weekends myself. I wish I could cancel my preorder now. Thankfully I have Tera now.
    They're pretty good about refunds; everyone I know that's asked has gotten one.

1) FOV: definitely needs some flexibility there.
    2) Autofacing is retarded easy mode. Can we have autoaim too?
    3) Glory bags: don't care at all.
    4) Tier traits: I don't mind the unlocking mechanism, but I think their abandoning the "scores of skills, you only get 5" is a mistake. GW1 you literally had some very hard choices to make based on what you wanted to 'run with'. Always tradeoffs between utility and flexibility, fantastic. GW2 you have 2-12 weapons to choose from, each with a fixed set of attacks. You have a healing skill (which pretty much everyone needed, but I hate straitjacketing), and then essentially 4 skill choices. Meh, I think that's far less flexible/tactical than the former model.
    5) poor UI - totally agree. There's a sort of patronizing "we'll tell you what you want" attitude here from ANet. I UNDERSTAND THE RESISTANCE TO MODS. TOTALLY AGREE. But I *don't* understand their reluctance to let people have mods that simply reconfigure the UI to be more usable - better health bar, MORE OBVIOUS BUFFS/DEBUFFS, etc. Their current interface mostly sucks.
    6) down state - I like the concept; I also think their handing different classes different abilities in the down state is a HUGE mistake, and adds a balance complication that didn't need to be there. Some classes (for example Rangers) have a self-rez, others don't . How do you balance that?
    7) Autoqueuing - dislike it significantly, hurts the responsiveness of the UI and you can FEEL it. Considering most casting is now possible while moving, it's a PITA to break off doing something to do something else, which doesn't make sense play or balancewise.
    -Styopa

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Well, the only problem i had in PvP was the "FINISH" thing was just...meeh and the downed state was also useless imo. Well, it's a shame it doesn't suit ur taste, but like someone said..not everyone can have it their way.

Off-topic: I think there will be enough things to do in PvE before an expansion.
    That's the problem, people think GW2 is a PVP focused game just because 1 was, the development team already said before they will be working as hard as possible on both, PVE so far has been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    You must have poor eye sight, i have my ui on one above the smallest setting and i can see everything with a 23" moniter.
    23" monitor

I have a 30" one and.. well.. its hard to see @ 1600p.

I am not saying to cater it to people with big monitors/high resolution - or to cater it to everyone with "normal" sized monitors..

I am saying, put an option in there that will allow everyone to be able to customize it to their liking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianCC100 View Post
    Not everyone is going to like Guild Wars 2. ArenaNet can't make everyone happy. If it's not for you, move on to the next game.
    This is an incredibly horrible stance to take in regards to criticism, especially considering how the OP actually offered explicit examples of what he thinks is the issue. I like GW2 and if I had the chance to cancel my preorder after playing in a beta weekend I still wouldn't do it but to shrug off all complaints as "they can't make everyone happy" won't make your game better, it'll make it worse. What do you think the beta is for in the first place but to raise complaints and for ArenaNet to remedy these issues?

That said, there are people who actually have problems that are unreasonable and intolerable, the OP is quite clearly not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    As soon as you start adding information to the UI, it becomes (seen as) mandatory to play based on that information, while GW2 is designed around a minimal UI. Again, as soon as you start playing the UI, you need to sit back and ask yourself what you're doing wrong
    I don't know that I agree with you on this one. Taking one of the most modded mmo's ever, in WoW, there are MULTITUDES of people (mainly pvp'ers) that don't roll with anything other than the default blizzard UI, even though there are scores of addons that "help" you out. Definitely not mandatory.

Also - I don't see how adding timers is necessarily adding anything..? Of course, yes, you can argue that it is adding different symbols on the screen that mean something, but its not adding any more information that isn't already there - i.e. Its not telling you the time in between ticks or its not telling you how much its ticking for or how much their bonuses is applying or whatnot. its telling you duration - information that it is ALREADY telling you, but through a different method.

Asking them to add stuff to the UI when the UI is simplistic for a reason is unreasonable.

1. I would like it if the camera would zoom out abit more, but the current camera isn't bothering me too much. Mainly a QoL thing with me

2. I mainly did pve and WvW so I didn't see the issue with this. It doesn't bother me much, in theory I will be laughing to myself as they stand still and I stun, burst, destroy them without having to use an immobilize if they want to stand still.

3. If Glory Bags are like swtor I will dislike them alot. However with the Mystic Forge in game and if I can break them down for good materials to craft other items I will be ok with it. I don't expect the current system to stay in the game though when everything else they have done so far has suggested that they like players to get what they want while not having to worry about getting something they can't use.

4. Tier Traits - I was skeptical, but I like the current system. I make meaningful choices now(IMHO). I think players will be less apt to use a cookie cutter build with the current set up, but that's jsut my opinion. I don't care for the Tiered Utility Skills, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However I guess I can see where it makes people try out skills they may not have used before and it gives newbie players about of a guide rail to follow so they aren't super overwhelmed.

5. Conditions and Buffs either need to be enlarged by 30 - 50% as someone else suggested, or a scale needs to be provided so we can do it ourselves. The option to toggle a timer in the middle of them would be nice, or perhaps an option to toggle between timer styles. I.E. the current BWE 2 system, a timer in the middle, or something else.

6. Tweaking the #2 and #3 downed state skills definantly needs to be done. In PvE these don't really matter, but for PvP they need a longer cooldown perhaps. I can see how a thief would be super annoying, they need to only be able to do it once per time being downed (same with other classes stuns like a warrior). A great idea would be for them to balance the skills seperately in pve and pvp. In pvp they can have longer cooldowns, in PvE they can remain as is.

#2 and #3 downed state skills need to be different though, little things like that differitiate professions from eachother. They can be balanced as is, and Arena Net does not need to drop a generic bomb across the board with downed skills. Improve the current system and add in new things, we don't need to look at taking away or dumbing down the game(in all areas, not just this one).

7. I was a little annoyed by this, they will either change this up or I will get used to it. Simple as that really.

I don't know that I agree with you on this one. Taking one of the most modded mmo's ever, in WoW, there are MULTITUDES of people (mainly pvp'ers) that don't roll with anything other than the default blizzard UI, even though there are scores of addons that "help" you out. Definitely not mandatory.

Also - I don't see how adding timers is necessarily adding anything..? Of course, yes, you can argue that it is adding different symbols on the screen that mean something, but its not adding any more information that isn't already there - i.e. Its not telling you the time in between ticks or its not telling you how much its ticking for or how much their bonuses is applying or whatnot. its telling you duration - information that it is ALREADY telling you, but through a different method.
    The way I see it, that information is presented to you in a way that with just a flick of your eyes you get all the information you need. If you start adding additional information (a number showing the duration, text saying the boon/condition name, whatever) you make it so that the UI becomes a more significant part of the game. Between animations on your character (have you tried moving when you've been crippled? It's obvious. If you're burning? Guess what, your character is (gasp!) burning). The border of the screen is also used to emphasize other conditions so that looking at the conditions list isn't required.