Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Lets use this thread as an example of why Runescape is falling into obscurity, and why RS3 is Jagex's chance at fixing it.

NO ADVERTISEMENT - Have you ever seen a TV commercial, article or even one of those annoying sidebars on a website for Runescape? No, you probably haven't. Jagex NEVER advertises their game and relies on word-of-mouth and sites like Massively to show people the game exists. This thread has been constantly necro'd (good thing its a Megathread, right?) because so little people know of its existence that nobody joins the conversation.

CONFLICTING COMMUNITY - Runescape is split down the middle with their community; free-to-play (f2pers) and members (p2pers). The two hate eachother on the forums, constantly whine when the other receives an update (the majority of updates are member's content, however many members consider low-level content to be "f2p") f2p has access to about 10% of all content in the game, and the majority of reviews and opinions on the game come from a free-to-play perspective. f2pers are consistently hostile towards every decision Jagex makes, and recently Jagex's decisions have been driven sourly on money and membership encouragement, which is destroying the f2p playerbase.

SQUEAL OF FORTUNE - This... Any Runescape player will roll their eyes at these 3 words. It was a mistake.. a mistake that keeps on mistaking. SOF is a Wheel of Fortune parody in which players receive "spins" on the wheel which in turn wins them prizes - usually in-game gold and experience. Sounds simple and amusing, right? Too bad Jagex later decided to charge spins for real currency, and ON TOP OF THAT turn it into a pop-up in your game window reminding you to "Spin and Win!", then bugging you to purchase more spins if you lose. Its a sour business practice, has no place in an RPG that focuses on world interaction and is hurting public image of Jagex. They have another cash shop in the game which isn't in your face, is purely cosmetic, and actually adds unique things like animations and pets to better differentiate your character. Squeal is bad, Jagex knows not many like it, but refuse to take it down because of the revenue it generates from the few who DO use it to their advantage.

If you found the game on your own before things went downhill, Runescape was a gem. Its a game that keeps on giving, that levels up as you do. It was the perfect Role-playing game and continues to improve with skills, quests and dungeons. No matter what direction the game goes in, my characters adventure isn't done. Funny I have to conceal that I love Runescape so much since I'm a grown adult from a military family, but this thread is the perfect place to rave about it.

Get passed those 3 things, and RS is a game that grows on you. Plus player housing, guild halls and player-run economy! Thats everything people have been begging for in WoW!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Well they released a new trailer

I used to play when I was in middle school. I quit right around the time hunter came out as a skill. Guthix was always my FAV!!!

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 05:55 AM ----------

I also always enjoyed that I could do what ever I wanted. I had no limit on skills like in wow.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I used to play when I was in middle school. I quit right around the time hunter came out as a skill. Guthix was always my FAV!!!

---------- Post added 2013-06-21 at 05:55 AM ----------

I also always enjoyed that I could do what ever I wanted. I had no limit on skills like in wow.
    Yea me too, elementary/middle school. I actually snuck in my brothers room when he was away to play it (I didnt have my own computer then):P It was so much fun.
    I've been planning to return for like 2 years now though, but the time never seems right or I have too much to do.

How is 2007 version btw? Decent and like it used to be?

old memories, but WHAT the freak did those jagex ppl do to my OLD game? still remmeber tutorial island, yo

Its 2014. I haven't played Runescape since I last replied to this thread 6 months ago, and not a member for over 2 years. I started playing the game over 11 years ago when I was still in middle school. Why don't I give up? why do I still stick to this game as an adult with a wife and job? because its my childhood dammit, without Runescape there'd be no WoW for me. Its been failing as of late but recovering quickly. If anybody is still interested here's whats been happening with Runescape.

Heres whats happening with the game, and how Jagex is fixing the mistakes they made.

They launched a new "Power to the Players" system that lets players vote for changes, removals and updates. And boy is Jagex sticking to it.

Squeal of Fortune: Is gone. (scroll up to my other post to read about it) The Microtransaction element still exists and Jagex has expounded to the community why its necessary and why it must stay. Its been replaced with a system called Treasure Hunter that has rewards that scale with level. Its a change universally applauded by all members of the Jagex community.

2 new skills: One already released and the other currently in alpha testing.

Combat: EoC changed the game a few years back, and many players hated it. They're now launching a legacy combat mode, that completely overwrites EoC on any character that enables it. Returns the old interface, combat system, special abilities - everything. If you quit RS because of EoC, welcome back.

Updated graphics: If your first and last impression of Runescape was the crappy SEGA graphics it had from 2004-2008, take a look at it now

For a browser game that requires no installation, I wouldn't call that weak graphics.

If you didn't like it before, you likely still won't. I'm staying cautious about it before getting back into it this spring, but if Jagex can prove that it cares for community it already has more going for it than most MMOs.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2014-02-08 at 08:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this game, used to play it before WoW and now I play it whenever I take a break from WoW. I like their new "Power to the players" idea, shows that they actually care about what the community thinks. I personally love the idea of EoC even though it screwed up some of the prices.

Deleted
    Oh... the memories. RS has always had a special place in my heart. Its quests are the best in any MMO, period.

Come back and check around prices. Back when I had a phat set for around 1B (2007) that was more gp than I'd ever need in my life for that game... now I'm worth lolol amounts too bad the game is so garbage after updates it'd be impossible to sell my account for anything close to worth the amount of effort I put in as a kid. 07 RS is better but I just can't get behind Godwars being introduced, how they screwed the rare poll etc after looking back over all the changes its like watching a highlight reel of how to repeat the same mistakes and ruin the game a second time. I just can't stick around to watch it again.

Just imagine if they somehow ported RS directly into WoW's engine or any similar MMO. It would smash the MMO market. Good thing Jagex is content with creating terrible new content on outdated or buggy platforms, preying on nostalgia and fixing what isn't broken instead of having some actual ambition.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-02-08 at 11:43 PM.

I stopped officially playing the game back in 2009 and only played for the clanning component. I'm not sure if any of you folks have been involved in it or not, but the high level clanning community was very popular and highly competitive (it still is, but with smaller numbers). The community went to crap though when DDoSing/Doxing started to become more of a norm.

As for the game itself, it's split into two communities of players. The 2007 version of the game is populated with a good number who exclusively play that game only. I don't blame them honestly; the new combat was a failed attempt to emulate what other MMOs already developed.

Combat: EoC changed the game a few years back, and many players hated it. They're now launching a legacy combat mode, that completely overwrites EoC on any character that enables it. Returns the old interface, combat system, special abilities - everything. If you quit RS because of EoC, welcome back.
    Really? This is amazing.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

"Revolution" doesn't go back to the way that the combat system worked before EoC, as I was expecting....
    But you can continue to use EoC and use the abilities as you wish, "Revolution" makes it automaticaly use the abilities in order (actionbar 1-9, but uses ability in action bar 1 when it's refreshed) and one setting where you disable the abilities, and empowers the auto-attacks (Which is quite useless)