Poll: Should you be given blood, if you dont give blood?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Blood transfusions is for all because it is not some kind of bank for only those who donates.
    Why should it be.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Blood, sure. There's usually enough to spare. Though, with organs, sometimes I think registered organ-doner card holders, should get priority over non-card holders (minus those who are not yet of age etc.).

In an age where everything is personal choice and everything is under a microscope more than ever, this would just create a huge can of worms. And today people are so fickle and get offended so easily, this would create a bigger hell than some people care to admit. It would never work and it's not a good idea. I'll give blood, I don't really care, but a lot of people just don't think much about it because they're so busy living their lives working, raising kids etc. If it was forced? Maybe, but even then the outrage would be enormous.

Uhh, you get paid for giving blood.
    And you pay for anything that requires blood transfusion.
    I don't see a problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471
    Tough one. I am very liberal so I believe in freedom of choice. On the other hand it is kind of like supporting a parasite. So I am going to go with no blood donated means no blood for you.

Ahahahahaha! I'm sorry, I know this is spam, but that really gave me a good laugh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes they should, apart from the people that can't donate blood because of physical conditions, there are people who have phoebia of needles.

I am a Mage.
    Avatar shamelessly stolen from Deviant Art, all credit to the author
    Phailah|Forged|Drak'thul EU

Some people are denied giving blood because they lived in Europe between a certain number of years. I have tried to give blood before, they have denied me because I spent several years of my young life in Germany (with the military.)

This notwithstanding, people do not give blood to save people who give blood. They give blood to save people. You need to recognize what compassion means, and stop thinking in terms of entitlement.
    "And what's the real lesson? Don't leave food in the fridge."
    -Spike Spiegel

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Strah View Post
    Depends on the country and the blood type usually. In the UK you do not get paid for donating blood.

Yes. The time it would take to check if you've donated previously, and the shambles that the NHS is anyway would mean someone who did, or otherwise deserves the Blood would end up being left without.

I am always in favor of preventing people who smoke, drink or take drugs getting organ transplants, and with Blood Shortages this is an issue, but I wouldn't want to see people dying because they lead a far to busy lifestyle, or their local NHS Trust didn't operate enough marketing of Blood Donations.

I've never donated blood, I really should but when I asked my GP, they just didn't care and shrugged it off. Should I be denied the blood because of this?

My question is, if you donate blood would you be happy to watch someone die in front of you just because they never donated?

Seriously, its about helping others not demanding what it is use for. If that's really a serious concern I believe you can store your own blood for your own use, although in a emergency I don't know how much this would help.

Being homosexual doesn't exclude you from donating blood, having an illness or being on drugs does (any type of drugs anti-convulsive meds, cold meds, painkillers etc.).

I donate blood every 3 months, have been doing so for 2 years now. I have no problems with people receiving blood if they don't donate themselves. I know plenty of people who has tried to donate blood, but wasn't able to because the district hospitals had too much of that type. It's rare, but it happens. They got put up on a list, though. In case there was a major incident that required large amounts of blood very quickly. Most often you get denied from donating blood because you have or have had an illness.

Off-topic: If you are thinking about donating blood, or if you're just interested on what will disqualify you as a donor, then follow this link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...onating_blood/
    It's a list conditions, assembled by the Red Cross. You can also check by the Red Cross' own site to find more up-to-date information about it, or for general information. All hospitals who deals with blood donations have updated lists so you can check with them as well.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Depends on the country and the blood type usually. In the UK you do not get paid for donating blood.
    Hence free healthcare.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post

Should anyone who isn't a lawyer get legal aid?
    Should anyone who isn't a chef be allowed into restaurants?
    Should anyone who isn't a game designer be allowed to play WoW?

These are business's and not a life / death situation which the topic is about, tbh
    Just focusing on these.

Should you have to serve on a police force before you can expect to receive police help?
    Should you have to save someone's life from a fire before the fire department will save yours?
    Should you have serve in the military in order to be protected by them?
    Should you have to earn your doctorate before a doctor is allowed to perform surgery on you?

Of course not. To suggest otherwise would be the height of stupidity (in my opinion).

How would you enforce it? "Mr. Smith, there's been a compication with the pregnancy and your wife needs a transfusion of blood. Unfortunately, it's been a number of years since she's donated which means she's not eligible to receive a transfusion. There's nothing we can do, I'm sorry."? And if they do the "You now owe us 1 unit of blood" method, what's going to happen if the guy doesn't donate? Are you going to reposess his blood? Jeez, that sounds like a movie.

If there's an issue with keeping up the blood supply, look into offering incentives to encourage people to donate (gift cards, food discount coupons, etc.). If there's no issue with keeping up the blood supply, then who cares if the guy getting blood has donated his "fair" share? It's already a pain in the ass for people to get the proper health care, now, without adding more hoops and checks and qualifications to meet.

And you pay for anything that requires blood transfusion.
    I don't see a problem here.
    in my country, all you get for giving blood is... cookies. yeah. those cheap that taste bad kinda of cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by tigojones View Post
    If there's an issue with keeping up the blood supply, look into offering incentives to encourage people to donate (gift cards, food discount coupons, etc.). If there's no issue with keeping up the blood supply, then who cares if the guy getting blood has donated his "fair" share? It's already a pain in the ass for people to get the proper health care, now, without adding more hoops and checks and qualifications to meet.
    Here in Norway you get a gift every time you donate blood. You are allowed to pick out 1 item that you want, usually backpacks, cups, CDs, just simple stuff like that. They don't give it to you as an incentive to keep donating, but as a thank you for donating. You can also choose to donate some money on the government's expense (the same as the average cost of making one of those gifts you can pick). It's also a very good feeling to know that, when you donate blood, you might save a life, or help researchers find a missing key towards curing cancer (if you allow them to use your blood for scientific research purposes). Also, when you're at the clinic where you donate, they have coffee machines, soda vendors, cafeterias etc. for those who donate. It's all completely free, hell, it's even free parking.
    Last edited by Drihan; 2012-06-28 at 10:35 PM.
    Intel i7-5820k @ 4.5 GHz
    Asus Rampage V Extreme x99
    Asus GTX 980
    32GB DDR4 RAM
    Windows 10 Home x64

Well I'm 30 now and I have been giving blood for 12 years now, gave it about 35-40 times, thats 15L-18L of blood so i think i have every right to say yes, they should be allowed. Same as ppl who are not organ donors should receive and organ if they need to. Why? Well some ppl are afraid of needles, some have STD's, some just dont have time ( i know it takes 1-2hours ), some dont give for religions reasons, some because they wanna keep their blood in case something happens to a family member ( males can give blood every 3rd months and girls every 4th ( well guess why ) ).

And aslo you are doing it to save life at least im doing it. My country doesn't buy your blood, you dont get any reward so im not doing it for myself im doing it to help some1, that said every person has a free will to do with their own body what ever he/she feels like....

I donate blood frequently, normally double-red cells since I am type O- which is universal and in the most demand.

I know for a fact that I kept at least one person alive.

A number of years ago, a co-worker was in a very bad car accident. He ended up going through over 70 units of blood by the time they got him all put back together. He was also Type O-, which means that is the only blood type he can get. I went through a screening process and because I was healthy, and recovered more quickly than is average, and had very strong iron stores, I was able to donate more frequently for him, as well as donate platelets to keep him alive. (he had so many broken bones, his body was not making blood very well for months after his accident, so every operation required transfusions, and he went through a ton of them)

If you are healthy, not subject to a religious prohibition, and are not otherwise medically prohibited, there is no reason not to give blood.
    Last edited by Darksideblues42; 2012-06-28 at 11:28 PM. Reason: miss-typed a word

10+ Year Old Account
    Hence free healthcare.
    At the Bloodcenter of Wisconsin they don't pay you for blood. You can get money for selling plasma at other establishments, though.

On the positive side they do have plenty of refreshments for after you give blood to help.

Is this even a real issue?

If there was a shortage of blood, medical companies would actually pay for it, instead of getting it from charities. They pay for plasma, and they pay triple if you whore yourself out as a factory for Hepatitis vaccine. Nobody pays for blood. Donate blood, you're lucky to get a sucker. I'm forced to conclude that there's more than enough blood to go around.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    Should I have my life saved, if I can't risk my life for someone else?

Should I get a donut, if I can't make one myself?

Ridiculous question. It makes me afraid of the dark to think that some people think I deserve to die.
    Especially in my case, when I'm not allowed to give blood because I'm still a cancer patient.

---------- Post added 2012-06-29 at 01:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    of course you should.
    I really do not understand why anyone would argue against this.
    Because some people are extremely selfish and lack any sort of empathy. I won't sugarcoat my reaction to it: It fucking scares me that so far 14 people have thought that because I'm unable to give blood due to disease, I don't deserve to live if I needed blood.

I mean, the logic behind is so fucking idiotic that it's an insult to even call it logic.