Thread: Warcraft 3 ROC

10+ Year Old Account

Warcraft 3 ROC

So I'm currently bought and am downloading WCROC, how is the game?
    doh my god....

"don't look back, it's a trap, it a fact, it's a booby trap booby trap" - The Dickies

Absolutely amazing. That, and TFT, are my two favourite RTSs of all time.

Deleted
    I really liked it. The story and atmosphere of the game are top notch. The missions are pretty varied too.
    I'm not a RTS fan by any means (don't really like them at all), but this one I really liked! Actually played it again some months ago.

I played through the RoC and TFT campaigns at least 7-8 times each, just because the story is so awesomely told and the gameplay is awesome to this day still.

They're what got me hooked to Warcraft lore, and I am hooked for real.

The Warcraft 3 games are easily the best ''Warcrafts'' in the Warcraft series. It is in these games where all the great lore was being created, so much better than we got in Cata.

Deleted
    It's actually amazing. Get Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne too.

Story is really good, you'll meet most races playable in WoW today.
    Faction-wise there's 4 factions, quite balanced but still retaining individuality.
    Sound was good, music was okish.
    Graphics are a bit old, but not as old as other games and still ok for a game released more then 10 years ago.

Remember to download the patches for it first though.
    And... there's lots of cool maps people make that are playable and you can download from different sites, extending the fun past the campaigns and regular player vs computer or normal player vs player.
    I still remember when I played it, I was so little and had no clue how to play it and got destroyed at 5th or 6th mission first time I played, it took me a few months of thinking and planning to beat it and move on. And it's one of the few games that stood with me and I still play it once in a while on maps I look up.

10+ Year Old Account
    The story and lore of the characters makes it a great game. However, the food limit and no navel warfare (even tft) makes its subpar compared to wc2 tides of darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    However, the food limit and no navel warfare (even tft) makes its subpar compared to wc2 tides of darkness.
    I think the omission of these gave way to tighter balancing and a better overall game allowing for much higher levels of competition and play. But if you don't think so, there actually are naval ships, which you use for combat in some campaign missions, in the map editor for your creative use...
    Oswald was over hit cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzilla View Post
    I think the omission of these gave way to tighter balancing and a better overall game allowing for much higher levels of competition and play. But if you don't think so, there actually are naval ships, which you use for combat in some campaign missions, in the map editor for your creative use...
    The balance was that ogre is the exact same as the knight. footman and grunt were the same. The only real difference in the units were the spells from the death knight and the ogre magi. pretty much it, other than looking different. That was the most balanced game.

after you'll play ROC and hopefully TFT storylines you'll understand why lore fans hate cataclysm overall and wotlk ending so much, not to mention the upcoming shitstorm expansion.

as for people saying the lack of naval warfare made for "more tight balancing" and some other bullshit: this is a STRATEGY game. Strategy means having many options. If you can't balance out those options, that's your fault as a developer, you shouldn't compromise fun because of your laziness in continuing a great saga in all of the aspects of its predecessors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    The story and lore of the characters makes it a great game. However, the food limit and no navel warfare (even tft) makes its subpar compared to wc2 tides of darkness.
    There are ships, just not in the campaign but in custom maps from FT on, every race has their own shipyard with 3 ships, the transport, the frigate and the destroyer type ships.

You could also play as naga in a custom map in Frozen Throne and even in the campaign. They lack multiple heroes though, they only have 2 the most.

Deleted
    damn you, after reading this thread I had an insatiable urge to go and play WC3, now here I am 3 hours later and I'm not showing signs of stopping xD

My favorite RTS of all time. Story wise, there's very few things that compare or have it beat. I definitely recommend The Frozen Throne if you enjoy it, as well.

Right now I'm on my 5th playthrough of the game. About 75% done. ^^

The first campaign is kind of interesting, it feels almost like a separate story compared to the other ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazing campaign, best single player experience I've had tbh in terms of story.
    Make sure you play all of it! If you like it, I highly recommend The Frozen Throne. While I'm sure you know the story I'm going to be kinda general just in case there are details you'd like to figure out yourself.

In case you aren't aware these are stories off the top of my head.

WC3 Roc:

1: Brief Orc prologue, introduces Thrall to the prophet (Guess who?)
    2. Human Campaign - Arthas' fights of the Scourge
    3. Scourge Campaign - Arthas setting out to Lordaeron with his undead force
    4. Orc Campaign - Thrall seeks the prophet and meets some new friends along the way while making an enemy
    5. Night Elf Campaign - Tyrande finds the Legions back in town

For The Frozen Throne

1. Night Elf Campaign - Maiev pursues Illidan
    2. Blood Elf Campaign - Kael'thas finds his people a new ally
    3. Scourge Campaign - Arthas sets out to the Frozen Throne
    4. Bonus Orc Campaign - Rexxar and pals help consolidate the Orcs position on Kalimdor

One of the best RTS game of all time but multiplayer wise it's not as good as SC/SC2 imo. The story overall is good. If you actually read both WoW and WC3 you will know that WC3's story is not really that better than WoW but it was told in better way because it's RTS game. There are many things that pissed me off in WC3's lore just like WoW's.

Ok, allow me to ruin your game, please!

Arthas dies.

Thank you. ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    WC3 both Roc and FT are amazing, one of my all time favorite games. Story is perfect, it's what got me into WoW, boy oh boy how much fun I had with it
    Mindless...

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceshaman View Post
    Ok, allow me to ruin your game, please!

Arthas dies.

Thank you. ^^
    Actually, he has never died before Wrath of the Lich King.