Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Depends on build and league.

If playing Normal Hardcore or a build highly reliant on Life taking the +40 Life bonus is the best option. Very tanky builds sometimes grab Resistance if in Hardcore.
    Looked at this, for a shield build the point must be the better choice as you can use it for 8% max shield which at higher levels should beat any of the options, or am I thinking wrong in some way?

Deleted
    Ah, then what I was thinking of is right.

Grace is from a quest, on Cruel? Damn it, seems like a rare gem. :s

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Looked at this, for a shield build the point must be the better choice as you can use it for 8% max shield which at higher levels should beat any of the options, or am I thinking wrong in some way?
    I think the Life is still better personally. But yea, just as I said at the top of the quoted posts- depends on build and league.

As a general rule of thumb no survival stat is weighted as heavily as Life. Can't block spells normally. Blocking triggers a self stun, aoe can't be blocked and so.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Ah, then what I was thinking of is right.

Grace is from a quest, on Cruel? Damn it, seems like a rare gem. :s
    It's not rare at all. It's a Shadow, Ranger and I believe Marauder quest gem. And drops all the time.

If you are using Blood Magic, Grace will reserve a portion of your life. The trade off of a -100 life for like 1000k armor is utterly trivial to high life builds.

The reservation cost of Grace can be lessened with the Reduced Mana Gem which will reduce the costs even though in fact you are using Life. The name is misleading, but eventually you will get like 6,800 armor or something ridiculous like [CBT numbers] for like 140 of your life reserved.

Deleted
    The game is not an MMO or CRPG.

It's an Action-RPG. Where repetitious farming is the primary motivation. For years.

You are suppose to be excited to farm for years.
    How is farming for ages fun? I dont mind grinding since i think its something you cant avoid in games like these but grind the same thing over and over is really anti fun

Deleted
    The reservation cost of Grace can be lessened with the Reduced Mana Gem which will reduce the costs even though in fact you are using Life. The name is misleading, but eventually you will get like 6,800 armor or something ridiculous like [CBT numbers] for like 140 of your life reserved.
    Oh.

It gives more armor than I ever thought it would. O.o

That gem is OP with Iron Reflexes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuuuu Drengen View Post
    How is farming for ages fun? I dont mind grinding since i think its something you cant avoid in games like these but grind the same thing over and over is really anti fun
    Do you play WoW?

Okay, remember the latest raid you did, you're going to keep doing that for what? To get gear, to get better, and it's also because it's fun. PoE is the same thing but with less, new "raids", so to speak. It's kind the same thing, you play to get gear, to get better and that's fun, atleast for me.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-30 at 04:16 AM.

I think the Life is still better personally. But yea, just as I said at the top of the quoted posts- depends on build and league.

As a general rule of thumb no survival stat is weighted as heavily as Life. Can't block spells normally. Blocking triggers a self stun, aoe can't be blocked and so.
    Didn't take the stun mechanics in to account, still though, the shield scaling at higher levels as a heavy shield build seems to be a hard pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuuuu Drengen View Post
    The fun is in perfecting a build through time and planning. Perhaps this not for you, but that's perfectly fine. Not every game is for everyone.

ARPGs are typically focused on grinding for statistical increases. By their nature ARPGs are spreadsheet centric games.

There was quite a number of people who farmed the same 2 areas for 10+ years. Every single day. They still do it. And still are looking for the "perfect" stat. Whole forums full of such players.

New starter areas? In an ARPG? My friend, you have chosen the wrong genre [& game] if you are looking for an experience centered on anything other than hardcore, long term stat grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Didn't take the stun mechanics in to account, still though, the shield scaling at higher levels as a heavy shield build seems to be a hard pass.
    Might not be bad for a shield user. If it works for your plans, go for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Made it to Act 2. Maybe I just suck, but that last boss for Act 1 was hard. Cut me to pieces the first time I engaged her. The second time I was a level higher and had a bit more cold resist gear. Was a really fun fight, though.

Currently enjoying this far more than I enjoyed diablo 3... it just has that d2 grittiness ... if that is even a word.

Downed Piety tonight, cruising along in Cruel. Forgot that there aren't any cool ranged guys to turn to Specters in early Act I, gonna have to hit Act 3 to get some of the better ones. Due to all of the d/cs over the weekend, and rerunning some of the larger areas multiple times, I'm way over leveled, so I'm going to have to rush through Act I pretty quickly (as quick as Cruel will allow, of course).

Trying to get a good shield for my summoner before I get Necro Aegis. Then thinking of getting the 2 +15% ele resist when holding a shield, which should get some better resists on my minions, assuming that works with Necro Aegis. I've got a +25% ele resist shield (though it's not spiky), just need to get the sockets set up on it. Then hope I someday get Midnight Bargain.

http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Immortal_Call

recently got that. it seems good in theory but how is it on the field? and it's only physical damage which tells me it's not even that valuable. anyone share any insight?

Hey Fencers, I'm looking to making a summoner build, but I'm curious to what Gems I should use? I have the Zombies one but what others are there that would be really good?

Shadow hardcore bow. Used 110 points (i always plan my builds out to however points I plan on using). Plan on using gear with Armour/ES and getting crit from all gear. Wasn't focused as much on DPS as I was on survivability. Glancing at stats, anything seem out of place (i've already noticed the melee phy dmg) and the whole charge section is default stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Hey Fencers, I'm looking to making a summoner build, but I'm curious to what Gems I should use? I have the Zombies one but what others are there that would be really good?
    Hm. I would say these are the key combination gems:

Raise Zombie + Minion Life + Minion Damage
    Summon Skeletons + Spell Totem + Minion Speed
    Raise Specter + Minion Life + Minion Damage
    Discipline + Clarity + Purity + Reduced Mana

Hard casts, any of the following is very strong. Take your pick;

Spark + Fork + Faster Casting + Lightning Penetration
    Arc + Faster Casting + Lightning Penetration

Ice Spear + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Faster Casting + Cold Penetration
    Arctic Breath + Faster Casting + Cold Penetration + Lesser Multiple Projectiles

Firestorm + Increased Area of Effect + Chance To Ignite + Fire Penetration
    Fireball + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Faster Casting + Fire Penetration

Power Siphon + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Chain + Additional Accuracy + Faster Attacks
    Ethereal Knives + Fork + Faster Projectiles + Faster Casting

If casting on Totem;

Spell Totem + Spark + Chance to Flee + Greater Multiple Projectiles

Spell Totem + Arc + Lightning Penetration + Increased Critical Damage

Flame Totem + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Knockback + Chance to Ignite

Spell Totem + Ice Spear + Lesser Multiple Projectiles + Cold Penetration

I finally got to the boss at the end of act 2 today, the Vaal Oversoul. That guy killed me a dozen times before I took him down. Considering how difficult normal is getting I think I'm going to be completely screwed when I get to the next difficulty level.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    I finally got to the boss at the end of act 2 today, the Vaal Oversoul. That guy killed me a dozen times before I took him down. Considering how difficult normal is getting I think I'm going to be completely screwed when I get to the next difficulty level.
    It's really not bad like if your melee you have to understand the concept of hit and run haha now if your ranged obviously don't be get hit.

Here's a clip from my livestream on twitch. Me and online friend fighting Vaal Oversoul. This was recorded in closed beta around 2 months ago.

Don't be underleveld, and try to max out your resistances, especially lightning and fire.

Last edited by Emrendil; 2013-01-30 at 10:28 AM.

Just wait 'til you get to act 3 cruel difficulty, the commander outside Piety's temple is just INSANE! This guy has an unbelievably high amount of shield, and that combined with the high damage + reduced resistances in cruel.. It is such a fun fight

I can't wait to try out merciless act 3.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsz View Post
    Just wait 'til you get to act 3 cruel difficulty, the commander outside Piety's temple is just INSANE! This guy has an unbelievably high amount of shield, and that combined with the high damage + reduced resistances in cruel.. It is such a fun fight

I can't wait to try out merciless act 3.
    Resistance nodes makes it a breeze now if your still struggling on the resistance things just find those rings and put them on to your lowest resistance. I'm capped on cruel again thanks to the nodes haha

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Well, when it gets harder and harder, you'll have to eventually start playing with another player or a group, and that's when the fun comes in, no?

So, the game kinda forces you later on to group with someone in order to progress more, it kinda does but from what I understand, it's still doable if you're alone, just pretty harder.

Also, there's plenty of different builds, items, gems, etc, for you to try out, you have plenty to entertain yourself with.
    grouping with free for all loot is not fun.. people focusing on loot rather than playing is more a chore than something fun.