Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    You just max out your resists and invest in an arbitrary amount of health and you're pretty solid there. There's never a point where you can guarantee you don't get insta-gibbed by something you couldn't react to. Its one of the games biggest flaws.
    It's why, as much as I enjoy it, I will NEVER play hardcore mode in Path of Exile. In a normal league when you die, all you really lose when you die is time. That's annoying, but recoverable.

But yeah, I really don't understand why GGG hasn't ever given players a tool to find out what killed them. With all the complexity that the game has under the hood, why not this? It makes very little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Millyraynge View Post

You can setup your character the way you want. You can play a build which requires more buttons to press, forces you to avoid more abilites, but is resistant towards one hits.
    Maybe, but then that char probably doesn't have potential to do all content, which, sorry, but fuck that kind of design, where you farm gear on one char to give it to another.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Maybe, but then that char probably doesn't have potential to do all content, which, sorry, but fuck that kind of design, where you farm gear on one char to give it to another.
    If you play only one character for all content, you have to handle some down sides. Quite usual to have multiple characters for different tasks: high speed low tier mapping, high tier mapping, bossing, lab'ing, deep delving, full jucing. Using a glass canon is not always the way to go and only one of multiple play styles. You can indeed play a single character and destroy all content in the game, but the community may want alotta currency for the necessary equipment. The design is completley in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    This is essentially why I never play end game of a league. It turns into minutes where nothing but 1 ability spam happens while you ignore every mechanic, and then you make a small mistake on one ability that does matter (good luck knowing which one that is in new content) and you just die.

It's not good design, it's not fun, it's not exciting. It's just dumb.
    Yeah I would say its the biggest difference between the kind of player PoE attracts vs what D3 did (when blizz still gave a shit about it).

PoE's pull is in its convoluted systems and people wanting to gain mastery over that and pull those rng levers to hit those crazy strong items that make you one shot everything 10x as hard as you were already one shotting them just because you can.

D3 on the other hand completely dumpstered PoE on the combat front, but its systems are tremendously more simple and straightforward.

PoE is just not a game you play for action combat imo, because its bad at it in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It's why, as much as I enjoy it, I will NEVER play hardcore mode in Path of Exile. In a normal league when you die, all you really lose when you die is time. That's annoying, but recoverable.

But yeah, I really don't understand why GGG hasn't ever given players a tool to find out what killed them. With all the complexity that the game has under the hood, why not this? It makes very little sense.
    Because frankly it doesn't matter and would just highlight issues with the game.

You die most of the time to things you never would have been able to realistically react to, and the reason those things do as much damage as they do is because the games scaling is impossible to balance with how convoluted and random its systems are.

You can't fix this without fundamentally changing the game at its core.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

You die most of the time to things you never would have been able to realistically react to,
    I don't know that you'd need to react to it. But that's not the point. The point is to know what happened so you can either alter your overall strategy, or change your build to plan for it in advance.

Even if it was something as simple as knowing that a certain type of boss insta-gibbed me, and I know to sit up and pay more attention if I see it on the screen again....or just run away.

I don't think it would be game breaking, or require any significant changes. After all, at the base form all it would be is a log of maybe the previous second or two before death.

I don't know that you'd need to react to it. But that's not the point. The point is to know what happened so you can either alter your overall strategy, or change your build to plan for it in advance.

Even if it was something as simple as knowing that a certain type of boss insta-gibbed me, and I know to sit up and pay more attention if I see it on the screen again....or just run away.

I don't think it would be game breaking, or require any significant changes. After all, at the base form all it would be is a log of maybe the previous second or two before death.
    I mean, you just said you don't think you'd need to react to it and then gave an example of you paying more attention so you could react to it.

But there are things in this game that do so much damage that it is impossible to gear to prevent a 1shot. You then have situations where you cannot outplay or in other words react to them either. Meaning you are guaranteed to die at some point. You can do things to try and mitigate that as much as possible as we see with the HC players. But you're always going to die at some point to something completely out of your control, because of how the games designed.

I'm all for them adding a death log so we can see what's going on, but at the end of the day all its going to do is highlight how we died to something we couldn't have possibly prevented.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

I'm all for them adding a death log so we can see what's going on, but at the end of the day all its going to do is highlight how we died to something we couldn't have possibly prevented.
    Not with that attitude anyway.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that there's a significant difference between trying to avoid the unavoidable, and learning what IS avoidable and doing what you can to separate the two.

Because as it is now, when you get instagibbed you have no way to tell if it was your own fault because there's a gap in your build, or if there's literally no way to avoid death.

I think the gap between the two is significant enough to warrant a log or tool or game mechanic to help players learn which is which.

Not with that attitude anyway.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that there's a significant difference between trying to avoid the unavoidable, and learning what IS avoidable and doing what you can to separate the two.

Because as it is now, when you get instagibbed you have no way to tell if it was your own fault because there's a gap in your build, or if there's literally no way to avoid death.

I think the gap between the two is significant enough to warrant a log or tool or game mechanic to help players learn which is which.
    ... or the "Can't see shit, captain!" amount of screen effects?
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Then there's me just having fun by creating characters for the lulkz and doing whatever the fuck i manage to do. I actually never have cleared the atlas yet, never dealt with league mechanics, and i'm planning to just move to play only standard league characters cause i have no interest in zooming through new leagues to not actually enjoy anything.

I like the game even if i'll never reach the level of power someone else has.

Anyway. Reinstalled last night, wanted to play a Blade Vortex build. So, need some pointers. I started as shadow and plan to get all phys and spell dmg nodes i can - suggestions about how to get some sustain? Probably going with life and not CI. Is Cyclone-cwc-BV a good idea? I have a 12% vaal BV in stash i found i don't know how much time ago
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    ... or the "Can't see shit, captain!" amount of screen effects?
    Well they've at least taken steps in that area, mostly to improve performance rather than to improve the experience. But yeah, it's definitely an issue too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I like the game even if i'll never reach the level of power someone else has.
    I have been playing more standard over the past year as well. I do try all the new leagues at least once to see what they are about but I don't go overboard or play competitively anymore in new leagues. Just got too burned out and I been playing regularly since closed beta.

A huge cache of stuff in standard to roll new builds and burn a few hours having fun without worrying about the economy is damn fine by me, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have been playing more standard over the past year as well. I do try all the new leagues at least once to see what they are about but I don't go overboard or play competitively anymore in new leagues. Just got too burned out and I been playing regularly since closed beta.

A huge cache of stuff in standard to roll new builds and burn a few hours having fun without worrying about the economy is damn fine by me, brother.
    Yeah. I can design stupid build that never work but i can spend dome time on to. Also the fun part is actually challenge myself to reach as far as i can with my builds.

In standard i have my lvl92 burning skellies double golem necro, but i suppose i have to put down all the skill points again. Anyway it is the perfect mindless zerg build with zero effort needed to farm for stuff in high maps if i really want to. I can always sell things i don't need.

Since you're here, pointers for Blade Vortex? I assume global phys, chaos and poison nodes are good for that.

EDIT: i'm actually waiting for PoE 2 that will make designing builds WAY BETTER imho. The only real thing i don't like is to get 6linkers etc, the rework makes it way more streamlined and enjoyable imho.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I haven't played Blade Vortex in a long time. Last time I did was poison/BV Shadow, iirc.

Man...part of me wants to remake my solo arurabot/dominating blow guardian, who I've been enjoying the shit outta on standard...but knowing that the build requires some pricier shit (6L Shav's with 5 off-color sockets) I don't think I'm ever gonna afford that, even if I stay on trade league.

Not sure what the heck to play this league, did a 2H Ground Slam build that worked well on standard but was kinda meh and not super fun.

"It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

I leveled a Witch all the way to around level 50 and act 6 only to continue getting destroyed by mobs in act 6 and I discovered it was cause she had almost no resistances since I didn't spec into tree with them cause all the way through act 5, you almost had capped resistances easy. Wish they had gave you some earlier indicator that resistances would almost vanish going into act 6 cause I wound up putting all my items in my stash, deleting the level 50ish and rerolled another witch to level again. Hopefully this time, I can maybe progress better.

Quote Originally Posted by Allegresse View Post
    I leveled a Witch all the way to around level 50 and act 6 only to continue getting destroyed by mobs in act 6 and I discovered it was cause she had almost no resistances since I didn't spec into tree with them cause all the way through act 5, you almost had capped resistances easy. Wish they had gave you some earlier indicator that resistances would almost vanish going into act 6 cause I wound up putting all my items in my stash, deleting the level 50ish and rerolled another witch to level again. Hopefully this time, I can maybe progress better.
    They do, but it could be better. There's a chat message that pops up to let you know you have -30% to all resistances when you beat act 5 and move to act 6.

And why would you delete the witch? You can fix that, and should be fixing that, with gear. Honestly, you don't really need a ton of res while leveling if your build is pretty good. What kind of witch were you building? What ascendency/what skill were you building around?

But seriously, the negative res from beating act 5 (and 10) should largely be dealt with through better gear, not dumping a ton of points into elemental resistance nodes, for the most part.

Looking like I'll dust off my champ war chief build considering both a boss rush and the league mechanics.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-01-12 at 02:55 AM.

I know it'll be garbage but I almost wanna toy around with a Scorching Ray totem chieftan in PoB to see if it's even worth attempting. Still haven't played a chieftan yet, and while I'm not much of a fan of totems it's been ages since I last played a totem dude so why not.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    They do, but it could be better. There's a chat message that pops up to let you know you have -30% to all resistances when you beat act 5 and move to act 6.

And why would you delete the witch? You can fix that, and should be fixing that, with gear. Honestly, you don't really need a ton of res while leveling if your build is pretty good. What kind of witch were you building? What ascendency/what skill were you building around?

But seriously, the negative res from beating act 5 (and 10) should largely be dealt with through better gear, not dumping a ton of points into elemental resistance nodes, for the most part.
    Tried to but had horrible luck on loot rng and the items I did get resists on wound up causing me to then be missing STR and AGI I needed to use gems and gear I was using. By rerolling, I planned out better and will now stay in act 5 for a bit to farm some good gear and currencies to be better prepped for act 6.