10+ Year Old Account
    only thing that puts me off is the rush to loot everything in sight forcing "you" to either solo or buy stuff from the vendors

i wouldnt really do it to solo tho :/

The player controls a single character from an overhead perspective and explores large outdoor areas and underground caves or dungeons, battling monsters and fulfilling quests from NPCs to gain experience points and equipment. The game takes heavily from the Diablo series, particularly Diablo 2.All areas aside from the central encampments are randomly generated for increased re-playability. While all players play on (currently) one server world the game play outside of encampments is highly instanced providing every player or party with an isolated map to freely explore.

700+ hardcore players reinstated to HC after getting killed by bugged carrion queens...that's going to create a shit storm for the support staff

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/vie.../610307/page/1

Deleted
    It seems the higher level I get, and the more damage I do/take or combination of skills perhaps, the more desync I see. In the beginning, I thought it was people complaining about something imaginary, like the vanish bug or the feral druid range issue, because I never saw it. When playing my witch and plodding about with 20+ mininons on screen, I never experienced the issue. However, on my duelist it has been happening more an more and in strange ways altogether. One time in the Crypts I was moving towards a mob to attack him, I was swinging but not taking any life off him, then suddenly I'm on a level above him, which would have been impossible, as getting there require me to leave the room, circle around and access a the ledge via a stairs from the complete opposite direction. I've died a couple of times already when attempting to cyclone through a hoard of mobs with life gain on hit on. I don't see how I'd play a HC game like this with such a game-breaking bug like desync in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol, desync is real, not sure how bad it is now, but I have seen it a few times since I started playing again a few days ago. It used to be really bad, every time I would use a quicksilver pot and run through a dungeon, I would get kicked back stuck behind a corner. I started a spec throw scion, and I'm just going by what I want to do. I didn't even look at the new tree, guess I'll see how far I can go. I got the unique amulet Karui Ward last night, and my spectral throw throws off the map now which seems alright. My drops have been pretty damn good, a lot better than I used to play. Doing pretty good so far on my first character in Nemesis, level 33.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Achaman View Post
    only thing that puts me off is the rush to loot everything in sight forcing "you" to either solo or buy stuff from the vendors

i wouldnt really do it to solo tho :/
    There are party loot options which change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    How important is MS on boots? Not as important as say resistances, right?
    Funny story about that, I lost my trapper / totem build to too much MS.

I had deerstalker (30% movespeed after each trap drop), and a quicksilver flask with 30% extra movespeed on it, so my total movespeed was an even 100% boost. Ran into the middle of a packed room before I realized wtf is up and died almost instantly from being hit by everything in it at once.

/oos and Quartz Flask is your friend.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Just died to Dominus in Merc on my Spectral Throw Ranger. For some reason the rain & smoke effects cause massive frame rate spikes on my system. I was kiting and throwing around my my sword as best I could. But in the end I couldn't leap slam out of the Lightning Punch by the time it went off. Second hit immediately killed me. t_t

Spectral Throw Ranger was one of the most fun builds I have ever played in an ARPG. I enjoyed it immensely.

This was my build on death: Link

Spectral Throw + Added Fire Damage + Life on Hit + Faster Projectiles + Faster Attacks
    Lightning Strike + Life Leech + Multistrike + Fork
    Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Conc Effect + Added Melee Damage
    Clarity + Reduced Mana + Purity of Elements + Portal

Final "dream" build: Link

Would have added Fire Pen to Spectral Throw. Faster Attacks and Lightning Pen to Lightning Strike. The idea being I am doubling up on sword and projectile damage sources with the same passives & gear loadout.

Deleted
    Locked down by elemental bringer skeleton with allies have +physical dmg next to a necro after getting a second go thanks to the bug...

Chain frozen and surrounded, wtb leap slam

Season 5 alt items are up. That Queen's Decree looks amazing. Too bad I'll never get it. 80 pts is usually pushing it for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are party loot options which change that.
    well when i played they didnt help much

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Just died to Dominus in Merc on my Spectral Throw Ranger. For some reason the rain & smoke effects cause massive frame rate spikes on my system. I was kiting and throwing around my my sword as best I could. But in the end I couldn't leap slam out of the Lightning Punch by the time it went off. Second hit immediately killed me. t_t

Spectral Throw Ranger was one of the most fun builds I have ever played in an ARPG. I enjoyed it immensely.

This was my build on death: Link

Spectral Throw + Added Fire Damage + Life on Hit + Faster Projectiles + Faster Attacks
    Lightning Strike + Life Leech + Multistrike + Fork
    Leap Slam + Faster Attacks + Conc Effect + Added Melee Damage
    Clarity + Reduced Mana + Purity of Elements + Portal

Final "dream" build: Link

Would have added Fire Pen to Spectral Throw. Faster Attacks and Lightning Pen to Lightning Strike. The idea being I am doubling up on sword and projectile damage sources with the same passives & gear loadout.
    What a coincidence, I lost my Spectral Throw Ranger to Merc Dominus last night as well :P Was my first time trying him on Merc so at least now I know what to expect :P I was gonna farm a bit more currency to upgrade my gear a bit but then my friend told me how "real men dont outlevel/gear content".

We went in with 3 people. 1 of us died to his lightning stream-thingy in his 2nd phase and I died moments after my friend went to TP for pots in the 3rd phase since all the adds suddenly started to target me... and there was a lot of em since my friends DPS was kinda crappy and the adds werent dying fast enough Shoulda used Arctic Armor to reduce the damage from the titty-bitches but forgot. I tried to TP out after I went low but didnt make it in time.

Best part was the 3rd guy who got me killed survived xD Didnt kill the boss, though.

I was rolling with...
    Spectral Throw + Added Fire + Faster Attacks + Life on Hit
    Double Strike + Multistrike + Faster Attacks + Life on Hit
    Reduced Mana + Purity + Hatred (friend was rolling Clarity, Vitality and Grace)

Such a shame :P I just got myself a sweet upgrade of a sword earlier that day as well. Went from 5L back to 4L with it but DPS in double-strike went up by almost 2k and 150 on Spectral. Had about 5,5k DPS on Double Strike and 1,3k DPS on Spectral Throw.

Oh well... My new Ranger is already lvl36 :P

So I'm downloading this right now because quitting WoW left a void in my life. Different style game, I know, but I'm probably going to start with a witch. Anything I should know going in?

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    So I'm downloading this right now because quitting WoW left a void in my life. Different style game, I know, but I'm probably going to start with a witch. Anything I should know going in?
    You should learn that it's all fun and games until you reach Merciless Dominus.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    What a coincidence, I lost my Spectral Throw Ranger to Merc Dominus last night as well :P Was my first time trying him on Merc so at least now I know what to expect :P I was gonna farm a bit more currency to upgrade my gear a bit but then my friend told me how "real men dont outlevel/gear content".

We went in with 3 people. 1 of us died to his lightning stream-thingy in his 2nd phase and I died moments after my friend went to TP for pots in the 3rd phase since all the adds suddenly started to target me... and there was a lot of em since my friends DPS was kinda crappy and the adds werent dying fast enough Shoulda used Arctic Armor to reduce the damage from the titty-bitches but forgot. I tried to TP out after I went low but didnt make it in time.

Best part was the 3rd guy who got me killed survived xD Didnt kill the boss, though.

I was rolling with...
    Spectral Throw + Added Fire + Faster Attacks + Life on Hit
    Double Strike + Multistrike + Faster Attacks + Life on Hit
    Reduced Mana + Purity + Hatred (friend was rolling Clarity, Vitality and Grace)

Such a shame :P I just got myself a sweet upgrade of a sword earlier that day as well. Went from 5L back to 4L with it but DPS in double-strike went up by almost 2k and 150 on Spectral. Had about 5,5k DPS on Double Strike and 1,3k DPS on Spectral Throw.

Oh well... My new Ranger is already lvl36 :P
    Why added fire over melee phys?

As I understand it, the priority on links, (according to Kripp, the guy that made the build) is Melee Physical Damage - Multistrike - Blood Magic - Faster Attacks - Added Fire for Double Strike and Added Fire - Lesser Multiple Projectiles - Blood Magic - Weapon Elemental Damage - Faster Attacks for Spectral Throw.

Anywho, since we all seem to be making Spectral Throw Rangers I figure I'll talk about my experiences with it!

First off, I'm not playing in a hardcore league. I wanted a fresh start in one of the new leagues, (so I could do self found without being tempted by my piles of uniques and currency in hardcore/standard) and Nemesis just sounded really boring compared to Domination. So I'm in the Domination league and honestly, it's the most fun I've ever had in PoE. The shrines need to be added to the main game imo, because it's not right to deprive all the hardcore players of such a fun mechanic. For those that don't know, (sorry this is turning into a rant about Domination instead of my Ranger) in Domination there's these random shrines that can spawn in most areas. The shrines buff all the mobs near them or deal damage to nearby players if it's a damage shrine. When you click on the shrine, you gain the shrine's buff, pretty much entering god mode for the next 30-60 seconds. I have not seen every shrine yet, but my personal favorite is the haste shrine, which gives a fuck ton of movement/attack speed along with faster projectiles. With an adrenaline quicksilver and 25% MS on boots, I could make it from one end of Docks to the other in like 3 seconds and with the projectile speed my Spectral Throw was hitting shit way off screen. Other fun shrines include but are not limited to a self casting ice nova, a diamond shrine that makes you always crit and a shrine that makes you really big, (think the extra life affix) and gives increased damage and knockback to all your attacks. Did I mention shrines typically spawn with a whole whack of mobs around them? It's not uncommon to see 30+ monsters with a blue pack and like 3-5 rares humping a shrine.

Anywho, about my character. I'm currently level 70, I've died like 3 times, once to desynch and twice to doing really dumb yolo shit involving really stacked auras and leap slamming towards a shrine... I've got around 6,950 dps on Double Strike, some random amount on Spectral Throw, (like 1,400 last I checked so it might have gone up) 3.5k life, 10k armor, capped ele resists, -60 chaos res, (badly need to sort this out before maps) I killed Piety and started farming her last night.

I'm currently running 2 4 links and just trying to get some more levels/gear before Dominus/maps. I'm putting no thought into my build whatsoever and literally just following what Kripp said. Having a blast so far, murdering everything. I rolled a really good Infernal Sword with +133% phys, moderately high lightning and fire damage, (like 80 something lightning and 40 something fire) with 11% attack speed. I also rolled another Infernal Sword with slightly worse stats. Working on 4 linking the good sword, may go back to using the slightly worse sword and try to 6 link the good one when I get more currency if I don't get a better weapon.

This build and league are the most fun I've ever had in PoE.

It is far more difficult to scale physical damage than elemental. With added fire the potential scaling is through the roof. Esp. with Fire Pen &/or Flammability factored in- it's probably the highest damage vector in the game.

So I started my Witch and I'm having success at this point getting ALL the aoe spells and mashing them in random succession. I have Firestorm, Sparks, Ice Nova and some ice pillar thing I forget the name of. I'm also skilling the AoE radius stuff. Kinda sucks when I meet a strong fire resistant enemy though because my weapon deals mostly fire damage and my only useful single target spell is fireball.

How useful is the undead summoning stuff though? That's a way I might like to play at some point.

Summoners are very powerful for solo and small group (1-3) players. Summoners take a long time to get to a viable spot- leveling a summoner is often painful & slow. However, around level 52-ish or so "Godmode" is turned on.

There are very few things a summoner can not solo in the game. Most maps can be solo'd (though it's inefficient ultimately) as a summoner.

Summoners also have a very high return in investment. As the actual gear of a summoner need not be particularly awesome. One can run lots of magic find rather cheaply. Quality gems are the only significant investment of a summoner in the long term. But they tend to be rich as thieves.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-11-14 at 03:55 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just started playing this game and looking on the forums I'm a little confused about the 'builds' being shown for the classes. There seems to be a disconnect between leveling and what those builds are intended for (maps?).

Are people leveling as one type of build and then re-speccing as something else later in the game?