10+ Year Old Account
    Really wish I had saved up all of my Ancient Orbs I've had drop so far (about 3-4 total)... Just saw they are going for ~40C each now... I'd be able to actually either afford my Soul Taker for this Lacerate build or be extremely close to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's that the information isn't available, but that we're supposed to accept going to hardcore players to learn about pretty significant changes to the core endgame.

If this was some minor aspect with spawning a specific type of boss or something, that's totally fine and I would expect to need to use community resources for that kind of stuff. But for core changes to pretty much the entire endgame - a la the map system? I should never, ever have to go to outside sources to figure it out and it should be either explained directly in-game or should have far better cues to let you know when you are doing something right.

Again, I don't think everything needs to be explained in-game. But if it's a core mechanic like mapping...then you'd better fucking make that shit obvious as hell without needing to leave the client. Ever. Figuring out optimal routing etc? Again, totally fine. But not core mechanics.
    So I guess the real point of contention is: Where is that line drawn. Because mapping itself isn't closed off to you. So what is it that is not explained that's acting as a barrier? And is that barrier intended to be discovered and explored as part of the design for the league?

I won't lie, I'm not well-versed enough to say with authority where that line is. But I saw the top-end players spending time figuring it out before I even made it to mapping in the new league, and tutorials were already in place by the time I did. I mean, it was so natural for me to take a look at how the new league worked via youtube that I didn't even think about it. I just ran a few videos while I was playing.

What would make it acceptable? A general guide on how to unlock each tier of maps? How to acquire and use watchstones? A step-by-step process for how to reach the final boss?

And if GGG was providing all that info, what would happen to the community members and fan sites who get traffic by creating those resources for the rest of the players?

I guess I just don't view it as a problem. Although now that I've been in this discussion, I can see how it might be viewed as irritating.

Any helpful tips. I’m also new to this game. I started at the end of the last league, made it to mapping, then the new league started. I just got back to mapping today since I’ve been able to play again.

I saw someone mentioned a filter for loot. That seems super helpful, so I’m going to look into that.

Someone else mentioned a recipe for gathering currency, something along those lines? What should I be doing to farm currency to buy the gear I need/want?

Any other useful tips? I did follow a guide on a build, and gear wise/damage wise I seem to be doing well so far up to t4 (that’s as far as I got time wise) and got my first atlas stone. I’m resist capped(minus chaos, if you can even cap that with normal gear). Generally I don’t die unless I stand in one spot for too long during a meta fight.

OK, experience with league so far.

Mechanic is MEH. Drops are good from bosses but it's eiter zerg or be nuked. I liked way omre structred things like Blight (which is was very non convinced about at the beginning). But it's fine, they said legaues will be "minor" for more effort put onto PoE 2 etc.

My bowskello build has issues - numbers are there but the onkill part means superb mapping and useless at bosses, which is totally not fine since they also buffed bosses all around. Rerolled as an ED/contagion trcikster because fast, easy and works good both in mapping speed and bosses. Wanna try again a minion hybrid build, this time with Rotting Legion and a melee character.

For the rest, everythigns going. Still don't know why the "banners boss" takes so long to die compared to the others.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Super good call on that one. It's by far the best guide to getting into the game and Arc and your golem army will serve you well.
    Same situation as you.. im on tier 4 so far with no problem, only bought 2 upgrade. Only dying to to hard metamorph bosses

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    OK, experience with league so far.

Mechanic is MEH. Drops are good from bosses but it's eiter zerg or be nuked. I liked way omre structred things like Blight (which is was very non convinced about at the beginning). But it's fine, they said legaues will be "minor" for more effort put onto PoE 2 etc.

My bowskello build has issues - numbers are there but the onkill part means superb mapping and useless at bosses, which is totally not fine since they also buffed bosses all around. Rerolled as an ED/contagion trcikster because fast, easy and works good both in mapping speed and bosses. Wanna try again a minion hybrid build, this time with Rotting Legion and a melee character.

For the rest, everythigns going. Still don't know why the "banners boss" takes so long to die compared to the others.
    I noticed that that too. Due to the emphasis on bossing because of the metamorphs and increased boss difficulty, builds that favor single target dps are doing better this time around.

I so tend to skip metamorphs since I have to go out of my way to summon them instead of having them naturally encountered throughout the level. Even though it's only a few clicks to summon them.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Any helpful tips. I’m also new to this game. I started at the end of the last league, made it to mapping, then the new league started. I just got back to mapping today since I’ve been able to play again.

I saw someone mentioned a filter for loot. That seems super helpful, so I’m going to look into that.

Someone else mentioned a recipe for gathering currency, something along those lines? What should I be doing to farm currency to buy the gear I need/want?

Any other useful tips? I did follow a guide on a build, and gear wise/damage wise I seem to be doing well so far up to t4 (that’s as far as I got time wise) and got my first atlas stone. I’m resist capped(minus chaos, if you can even cap that with normal gear). Generally I don’t die unless I stand in one spot for too long during a meta fight.
    http://www.filterblade.xyz is the go to website for a loot filter.
    Yes it looks complicated, ignore all that. I would change the Strictness drop down menu to Semi-strict to reduce item spam a bit more.
    Go to Download and follow the instructions there.

There are a number of (hidden ><) recipes in game. https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vendor_recipe_system
    Most of it is not really interesting, just what your get when you sell things but there are a few nice ones. The one mentioned was the Chaos Orb recipe which is a full set of rare gear (https://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ve...Full_Rare_Sets) to fill out your equipment (minus flasks).
    Since 99% of rares are complete garbage this lets you turn it into some money. But it means travelling back and forth a lot because your inventory fills up so fast.

Resist cap is good and something you should always focus on once you get to maps. Chaos resist is normal to be much lower, even in the negative.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Man this boss sucks. not sure how to properly do this fight without dying to the phase changes, due to him being above the vortexes or w/e.

but I got him on the third try! most likely skipping him for the rest of the league, unless I have just taken a level so I don't suffer exp loss. :I

Least favorite league ever. The league itself is junk. The Atlas revamp feels awful. Literally lost all motivation to play around level 80 and won't be going back. Likely taking an extended break until at least 2.0 unless the new atlas is greatly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Man this boss sucks. not sure how to properly do this fight without dying to the phase changes, due to him being above the vortexes or w/e.

but I got him on the third try! most likely skipping him for the rest of the league, unless I have just taken a level so I don't suffer exp loss. :I
    apparently the trick is to run away so the storm doesn't follow you, derp around doing nothing while you wait for him to follow you and leave the storm. Then run under the big floating dude to resume the fight, which pushes nearby storms away.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    apparently the trick is to run away so the storm doesn't follow you, derp around doing nothing while you wait for him to follow you and leave the storm. Then run under the big floating dude to resume the fight, which pushes nearby storms away.
    yeah I was doing that first, but I might have been to far away, since he did not use any abilities, so he just stood there. the clouds did move a tiny bit (might have been when I got into his range) but not enough to not get rekt trying to get under him.

Going to wait a bit longer then next time I do him.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    So I guess the real point of contention is: Where is that line drawn. Because mapping itself isn't closed off to you. So what is it that is not explained that's acting as a barrier? And is that barrier intended to be discovered and explored as part of the design for the league?

What would make it acceptable? A general guide on how to unlock each tier of maps? How to acquire and use watchstones? A step-by-step process for how to reach the final boss?
    Except this isn't a League Mechanic, this is a Core Game mechanic. Also, the League Mechanic is explained. Sure, the details of what all the different combinations do aren't laid out in front of you, but you are told how the mechanic works. Delve was explained to the player, Blight was explained, Incursion was explained, etc. All of these League Mechanics typically have an NPC that explains them. The ones that didn't were typically self-explanatory, like Breach, Abyss, or the earlier leagues like Nemesis, Anarchy, Tempest, etc.

Prior to this update, Zana explained the map system, then explained things as the Shaper and Elder were introduced. Now, we're told next to nothing other than "bad people exist in maps."

Here is my experience: I ran maps and eventually happened upon a Watchstone; neat. I placed the Watchstone into the sidebar of the Atlas, ran a few maps, and nothing happened. I'm guessing its just storage space? Planted it into the UI element and upgraded a section; cool. Then it disappeared after I ran the next map; OK, so its a one-time use and permanent upgrade? I thought you were supposed to be able to move them around but w/e. After a short while I unlocked a second Watchstone, from the same boss I might add. Planted it into a second section and upgraded it; it then disappeared after the next Map as well, so it seems these are one-time use items, which is good to know. I've ran somewhere between 75-100 maps since, and have made no progress, have come upon no further Watchstones, have found no special bosses, though I have run into their minions countless times. My Atlas looks like a rainbow, but I have no idea what the colors mean or how I'm supposed to make any progress, and I'm stuck doing Tiers 1-6 maps. I've talked to all NPCs, and they've explained absolutely nothing about this new Atlas.

What's everyone's advice? Just keep running maps. Do I need to run a set number of maps to unlock the next thing? Do I need to run a specific map a certain number of times? It there a combination of maps per area that triggers it? Is it pure RNG and I've got abysmal luck in getting nothing to trigger? Are Sextants required? Is there a currency item other than Sextants that now affects the Atlas that I'm missing? I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do to trigger the next event. There is nothing on the Map to indicate anything. I've already unlocked all of the available God upgrades that show up on the map, and I've Corrupted every map, and the only Maps I've not completed the Challenge for are Unique Maps which have not dropped; in fact, I've seen 0 unique maps thus far.

IMO, the new Atlas is absolute garbage and should be reverted back; at least then I'd be able to progress into higher tier maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    What's everyone's advice? Just keep running maps. Do I need to run a set number of maps to unlock the next thing? Do I need to run a specific map a certain number of times? It there a combination of maps per area that triggers it? Is it pure RNG and I've got abysmal luck in getting nothing to trigger? Are Sextants required? Is there a currency item other than Sextants that now affects the Atlas that I'm missing? I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do to trigger the next event. There is nothing on the Map to indicate anything. I've already unlocked all of the available God upgrades that show up on the map, and I've Corrupted every map, and the only Maps I've not completed the Challenge for are Unique Maps which have not dropped; in fact, I've seen 0 unique maps thus far.
    Run three different maps in an influenced region. Kirac finds the Stronghold and will tell you to talk to Zana, who will send you to a special version of one of the maps in that zone. Kill the last boss to make a portal to the Conqueror fight. Kill the Conqueror to release the influence and earn another Watchstone.

Alternatively, you can run the same map multiple times, but whether it will get you closer to the Conqueror encounter is random.

Once you've first encountered Sirus (which requires you to earn 16 watchstones), there isn't any deterministic method to force a Conqueror to confront you; you just have to spam maps in that region.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah sounds like you procced the Strongholds, just keep running maps in that area to clear it.

Have you ran all the outer edge maps? (Haewark, New Vastir, Lira Arthian and Lex Ejori) you have to go there to unlock the 4 "Bosses" to get going.

-Progress up to each corner to get 4 orbs.
    -Let's say you got a few left over Haewark Hamlet maps - then you want to put one orb into Tirn's End.
    -Run your Haewark Hamlet maps (or any maps that are close to the 1 orb tier) to get the higher Tier Tirn's End maps
    -Proc the Stronghold with your new Tirn's End maps (only the first map needs to be within the 1 orb range) and kill the boss
    -Now put one orb into Haewark Hamlet and keep repeating that above.

this is just brute forcing it, you should spread it out to get more maps.

In the storage containers to the left of your atlas, mousing over them you can see how many orbs are required to proc a stronghold.
    Last edited by Enjeh; 2019-12-28 at 05:25 PM.

Except this isn't a League Mechanic, this is a Core Game mechanic. Also, the League Mechanic is explained. Sure, the details of what all the different combinations do aren't laid out in front of you, but you are told how the mechanic works. Delve was explained to the player, Blight was explained, Incursion was explained, etc. All of these League Mechanics typically have an NPC that explains them. The ones that didn't were typically self-explanatory, like Breach, Abyss, or the earlier leagues like Nemesis, Anarchy, Tempest, etc.

Prior to this update, Zana explained the map system, then explained things as the Shaper and Elder were introduced. Now, we're told next to nothing other than "bad people exist in maps."

Here is my experience: I ran maps and eventually happened upon a Watchstone; neat. I placed the Watchstone into the sidebar of the Atlas, ran a few maps, and nothing happened. I'm guessing its just storage space? Planted it into the UI element and upgraded a section; cool. Then it disappeared after I ran the next map; OK, so its a one-time use and permanent upgrade? I thought you were supposed to be able to move them around but w/e. After a short while I unlocked a second Watchstone, from the same boss I might add. Planted it into a second section and upgraded it; it then disappeared after the next Map as well, so it seems these are one-time use items, which is good to know. I've ran somewhere between 75-100 maps since, and have made no progress, have come upon no further Watchstones, have found no special bosses, though I have run into their minions countless times. My Atlas looks like a rainbow, but I have no idea what the colors mean or how I'm supposed to make any progress, and I'm stuck doing Tiers 1-6 maps. I've talked to all NPCs, and they've explained absolutely nothing about this new Atlas.

IMO, the new Atlas is absolute garbage and should be reverted back; at least then I'd be able to progress into higher tier maps.
    Socketing a stone into the map increases the tier of maps in that region.

The sidebar is indeed just storage.

What your seeing is that you socketed your first stone and then ran another map in that region, which caused another conquerer to spawn.
    When a region gains influence the stones dissapear and you can't change it until you defeat that conquerer (probably to stop you from just taking them out once it spawns and putting it in another section to get influence there right away) Run 3 maps in that region (regardless of tier) to find the citadel and open the fight. After you then leave the map you can see your stones again and move them.

So what you need to do is run maps in the colored regions (if you have a map tab you can type (part of) the region into the search box to see what maps are in that region. Run a bunch (3) of different maps (same map can also work but its only a 33% chance to show up again on the same map) until the quest changes to tell you to talk to Kirac and then Zana, fight the conqueror. get more stones ect.

If you hover over the sidebar on your map you can see what stones you already have, aswell as how many stones you need to socket into a region in order to get a conquerer's influence to show up. Note you need to actually run the correct tier of map to get the influence to spawn (changing the color on the map screen) but after that you can run any tier to progress it to the boss fight.

After you get 16 stones (I think?) the mechanics slightly change to be more random meaning you need to run more maps for influence to spawn and more maps to then get the boss.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I like the new atlas, once I figured out how it works...., because it lets you run all maps instead of closing in on an ever shrinking set of them at the highest tier. Tho it gets a bit to grindy for me after 16 stones.
    But the major issue is simply the lack of information, as is repeatedly shown both in this thread and on reddit with people getting stuck not knowing what is going on.

I know I’ve hit a conquest boss proc because my computer just eats shit.

But that’s each new mechanic when it’s introduced. I can handle blight maps just fine now where last season I had to quit because I couldn’t handle the frame drops.

Other than that I find the new atlas to be great and it has me playing more than the previous ones. I’m having a much easier time with this mapping system than trying to form elder and shaper squares.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something I will say that I do not like, is that you can't search for the "Awakening Bonus" on the atlas, so you have to manually mouse over every single map to see what Awakening level you need (1-8)

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Alternatively, you can run the same map multiple times, but whether it will get you closer to the Conqueror encounter is random.
    I can say running the same map multiple times in a row has done nothing for me. I've already tried that, and some maps I ran 4-6 in a row.

I'm positive I've done more than 3 in a region, just due to the sheer number of maps I've ran, and I'm pretty sure that I've done more than 3 in a row in a single region.

Quote Originally Posted by Enjeh View Post
    Yeah sounds like you procced the Strongholds, just keep running maps in that area to clear it.

Have you ran all the outer edge maps? (Haewark, New Vastir, Lira Arthian and Lex Ejori) you have to go there to unlock the 4 "Bosses" to get going.
    I've only seen 2 Watchstones thus far. However, they were from the same boss, the Templar with the square holy symbols, though I couldn't tell you what map or region I ran for these. I'll go back and try to focus on a single corner region; hopefully I don't run out of maps before something happens.

I've only seen 2 Watchstones thus far. However, they were from the same boss, the Templar with the square holy symbols, though I couldn't tell you what map or region I ran for these. I'll go back and try to focus on a single corner region; hopefully I don't run out of maps before something happens.
    Look on the left side of your atlas where all the squares are. Each set corresponds to a different section of the map, and they'll show you which watchstones you've earned (including the color) and how many watchstones need to be socketed in that region to spawn the next tier of guardian.

Think you just fought the yellow boss twice (lightning dude). I'm not sure if there is a way to control which dude spawns or if it's random, but it seems totally random to me (though it seems to balance them out so you don't have all blues at least).

And apparently, as long as you spawn a guardian dude in the zone for the first time, you can run lower tier versions of that regions maps to continue spawning it all the way. I haven't confirmed this yet and it may be a bug, but it's worth a shot.

Trying to get maps for my third watchstone in the lower right corner, only had one map to run for influense and now i cant get any map to drop for that zone. Anyone else being forced to buy maps to progress?? I allways get lower lvl map