Quote Originally Posted by Vynx View Post
    You can notice some items have pretty low lvl requirements, but I found it hard to get upgrades to replace the legendaries.
    Most legendaries, are noob traps, there are certain leveling ones that are good, rest are shit, and good ones dont drop at leveling generally, they are hidden behind other content.

As example the help you are wearing, you are reducing your damage by 30% multiplicative, so you only deal 70% of your actual damage, its a terrible helm, for any spec, at any time, its one of those existing just because noob traps that have no reason to exist apart from niche situations and usual shit, like some excuse of a summoner build at SSF.

As i said above, as a newbie, go for items that are MAX HP + 2 resists till you hit 75% to everything, after you kill Kitava at Act 10, then a different game starts.

Thanks for the tips so far

My mindset was to kill stuff before they could reach/hit me. That's why I was using a smoke cloud potion on tougher encounters, but it wasn't enough lately.
    This is a good defense, but there are a lot of "unavoidable" sources of damage in PoE, like Metamorph encounters. I've learned a while ago that "you don't do damage when you are dead," and always made sure to be as chonky as possible while fitting in damage while I can.

And like others said, a lot of uniques aren't good or worth it, or used in incredible niche builds. +resist is worth more than any leveling unique.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    As i said above, as a newbie, go for items that are MAX HP + 2 resists till you hit 75% to everything, after you kill Kitava at Act 10, then a different game starts.
    Yep, this is pretty good advice, btw there's a nice video guide "how to buy items" for a newbie, because many people don't know you can buy items for resist cap very cheap: https://youtu.be/ZET4C5HAz3s

Kind of a first time player here (got to lvl 18 in 2013).
    After many years, this game finally got me, even though I was pretty vocal against it. Ignoring the outdated graphics, I just love how complex it is, and there are still lots of stuff I have to learn. I am rolling a lvl 64 RoA Deadeye atm, focusing on cold dmg. My dmg is fine, end bosses and metamorphs are dying slower tho, but man, am I getting stomped, by metamorphs especially. I tried to get some def/resist nodes, but I still feel squishy af. I have 1.6k hp and ~100 energy shield, and resistances ranging between 15% and 50%. Playing with Herald of Ice and Precision auras, using Assassin's Mark for bosses, and today I started using the Discipline gem to see if I get tankier.
    Any advice/tips on how I could die less often?
    Tried to link my char here, but haven't found yet how to do it, or if it's possible.
    Are you going by a build guide or trying to wing it? If a build guide is advertised as tanky, be sure to check what makes it "tanky". Have an idea of what HP pool you want to use (Life, ES, hybrid). There's only so many points you have to spend so it's important to focus on life or ES nodes. As a bow build with Deadeye, I'd advise going straight HP and disregard ES entirely. Go evasion/dodge, try to get your resists to 75 as a main focus for damage mitigation. Overall, you're build will likely be a "kill them before I get killed" style.

The more you play PoE, the more you will learn what scales your damage and defense the most effectively. You'll learn what rares ware keepable and what is garbage. You'll learn what points in the skill tree are far worse that how they sound so you could path more efficiently. My best advice is looking for an in-depth build and see if the Pros & Cons they list fit what you'd like. Most written builds will state if its slow clear, tanky, squish, expensive or cheap. They do most of the homework for you.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I tried to wing it at first, but I disliked my slow dps, so I went by a guide after.
    Now, that I followed your tips, it's better now. Finished Kitava in act 10, and started doing some maps.

Lvl 73, 3k life, all resistances to 75% min (chaos at -27%), but I still run sometimes into shit that hits like a train. Like some templar bosses in map runs, or golems that have something akin to reflect dmg affix. Now, I'm hunting for Vaal Rain of Arrow gem, but I cant find it for the life of me. Did every corrupted zone I encountered, and got gems that were not even for my class. And I dont know on which stuff to focus to get better gear, because there are so many options

I tried to wing it at first, but I disliked my slow dps, so I went by a guide after.
    Now, that I followed your tips, it's better now. Finished Kitava in act 10, and started doing some maps.

Lvl 73, 3k life, all resistances to 75% min (chaos at -27%), but I still run sometimes into shit that hits like a train. Like some templar bosses in map runs, or golems that have something akin to reflect dmg affix. Now, I'm hunting for Vaal Rain of Arrow gem, but I cant find it for the life of me. Did every corrupted zone I encountered, and got gems that were not even for my class. And I dont know on which stuff to focus to get better gear, because there are so many options
    If you have some Vaal Orbs you can just buy a few Rain of Arrow gems and corrupt them. 25% to get the Vaal version.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If you have some Vaal Orbs you can just buy a few Rain of Arrow gems and corrupt them. 25% to get the Vaal version.
    And how do you know if it's the Vaal version or not? I know that for RoA it doubles the base damage, but other than the corrupted text, i've seen no other indicator.
    Even when I looted Vaal gems, once you got them in the bags, their name is just like the basic version.

But thanks for the tip anyway, didn't know you can get it that way.

And how do you know if it's the Vaal version or not? I know that for RoA it doubles the base damage, but other than the corrupted text, i've seen no other indicator.
    Even when I looted Vaal gems, once you got them in the bags, their name is just like the basic version.

But thanks for the tip anyway, didn't know you can get it that way.
    Vaal gems are both versions of the gem at the same time so when you mouse over the gem in your inventory you should see something like this https://i.imgur.com/9gqoZjC.jpg

So, that means I can use the normal ability for trash, and the Vaal version for bosses? That's friggin cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, that means I can use the normal ability for trash, and the Vaal version for bosses? That's friggin cool.
    Some bosses are a bit harder to generate souls for the Vaal ability, just be aware of that, but yes your thoughts are correct.

Also announcement today, any big thoughts? Keep hearing rumors of "delve but up", which i would love as Delve is my favorite content. Hoping for a big self-cast buff though unlikely. Expecting minions and mines to get hit again but likely not hard enough to not make them default starter builds due to their cost efficiency. Definitely plan on playing in a private league again, last league was great fun playing in a small SSF style group, with limited trade options.

Edit:

Evidently some press outlets don't care about embargos at all, and the league as leagued ahead of time. Official release is 12 Pacific Standard. But its out there if people look.
    Last edited by bloodwulf; 2020-02-25 at 03:53 PM.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Way more than that, you can pretty much recharge your val skill after like 50 creature kills. For instance I use VAL Arc on my current build and every 45 sec to 1 minute I have my val arc recharged and use it pretty much on cool down because it wrecks so hard.

I'm deep into Wolcen right now, but curious about the next league. Bex has been teasing a bit.

I'm honestly hoping that leading into PoE2 they don't try for "big" leagues. Honestly, I'd rather they revisit a bunch of older league mechanics and overhaul them so they're not junk. Stuff like prophecies, labs (especially enchants) etc. could all use some major updating and that alone would be great. Functionally like this last league, where the bulk of the work was the atlas changes and the meta mechanics themselves were pretty minimal overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I'm deep into Wolcen right now, but curious about the next league. Bex has been teasing a bit.

I'm honestly hoping that leading into PoE2 they don't try for "big" leagues. Honestly, I'd rather they revisit a bunch of older league mechanics and overhaul them so they're not junk. Stuff like prophecies, labs (especially enchants) etc. could all use some major updating and that alone would be great. Functionally like this last league, where the bulk of the work was the atlas changes and the meta mechanics themselves were pretty minimal overall.
    Well i don't want to link to the guy who broke embargo, but i'm not sure how happy you will be with the next one then. None spoilery terms, it sits on top of the other mechanics, and seems like kill more league. But it adds something that could be insane in what options it opens, or if they poorly implement it\make it too rare it will be irrelevant.

Also its all grey....and i hate it.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.

Since I believe their plan is to slowly phase in new stuff from 'PoE 2' I think they will most likely go about it like that.

10+ Year Old Account

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Can any one clear up what the new skills look like the video is way to small on my phone to make them out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Can any one clear up what the new skills look like the video is way to small on my phone to make them out.
    We will get more info when it is officially announced. A media website broke embargo and linked it. Right now the trailer and a minor overview is all we have.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    We will get more info when it is officially announced. A media website broke embargo and linked it. Right now the trailer and a minor overview is all we have.
    Ah he’s a leak then I guess it’s back to waiting.

https://www.shacknews.com/article/11...-mirror-mirror

Previews going up now. Will be giving them a read when I have some spare time.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.shacknews.com/article/11...-mirror-mirror

Previews going up now. Will be giving them a read when I have some spare time.
    That is the guy who made the leak, NDA and Embargo is up until 12 PST