Thread: GW2 weather

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2 weather

sorry if this is a repost

I played the beta and the only weather effect I can remember is snow and rain but they were at staged events.

Does GW2 have dynamic weather? I used to like it in WoW when the world would darken a bit then it started to rain. Helped with the atmosphere. Does GW2 have this?

Deleted
    Yes it have But ofc it depends on different areas. You don't get snow in desert (durrr)

just found this from an interview with Lore & Continuity Designer Jeff Grubb and French Community Manager Stéphane Lo Presti

Q: Is there going to be a dynamic weather system in Guild Wars 2? Will it have any influence on fights or will it somehow enhance interactions with the environment?

Stéphane Lo Presti: The weather in Guild Wars 2 will be dynamic and change, but it will not have any particular effect on gameplay or the environment.
    so that's good because I never came across this during the beta event unless it was scripted.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't remember ever noticing the remember, but I'm positive I ran into rain now and then. Not to mention the cycle of night and day.

It was hard to really keep track of that due to constantly popping over to the overflow shard. :|

The wiki claims that weather may cause different events to start up, but... well, the French CM said otherwise. We'll have to see which it is.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Anyone remember that big-ass event in the norn area where you have to kill the big Norn? When you start fighting him there's a huge snow storm. That was awesome.

Somewhat late to this thread, but figured people would enjoy the pictures none the less.

A picture during night with a heavy dense fog somewhat a distance away from the Dam.

Same dam during the day and up much closer/higher.
    Last edited by Galueru; 2012-07-03 at 03:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will weather be dynamic in GW 2 (i.e with clouds forming rain or snow randomly happening), and will sky be dynamic (clouds passing by etc not just a backgound picture)?

<@[ANet]EricFlannum> Weather can sometimes be random and sometimes is affected by specific events. For example, there is a huge snowstorm that occurs on one of the maps when a specific event is failed. This snowstorm then kicks off a new chain of events as players deal with the effects of.

I cant remember it in the Norn areas I played through for the BWE. But I really hope they have it. It just creates such a great atmosphere. Back when I played WoW I remember stopping in Stranglethorn when the rain would hit and watch it out over the ocean. Or in Rift there is a instance you go into at about level 20 where you are walking up this mountain and at the top its just pouring snow down on you and I was tripping out over how cool it was at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saent View Post
    Back when I played WoW I remember stopping in Stranglethorn when the rain would hit
    Come to think of it, I wonder if it will rain a lot in the Maguuma Jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Anyone remember that big-ass event in the norn area where you have to kill the big Norn? When you start fighting him there's a huge snow storm. That was awesome.
    that was awesome, but it was also scripted. As is the rain at the start of the human zone (when you fight off the centaurs) Other than those two I don't remember it starting to drizzle then develop into heavy rain with dark clouds. Which is kind of what I'm hoping for.

Rain in wow was just rain and didn't darker the screen therefore you only got half the effect, the only time it really felt miserable is when you when in duskwood due to the clouds already being there. But below is the atmosphere I want when it rains, dark, horrible and you just want to get out of the rain. It's a small thing but certainly adds to a game.

I really like that picture Galueru posted of the fog with the dam in the background. That looks really good.
    Last edited by MrSerious; 2012-07-03 at 04:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved the weather and light/dark patterns. I'm very glad they put this in.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Come to think of it, I wonder if it will rain a lot in the Maguuma Jungle.
    It's no longer a jungle, it's all dried up now and it might not be open on launch. (So I've heard from various videos, but might be just rumored)

Seems like people in this thread really enjoy rain quite a bit.

>.> I really enjoyed the Guild Wars 2 weather, though I didn't really pay much attention whether or not it was scripted, I would often be in a area caught up in everything and then slammed with a pretty sight that demanded I screencapture it.

*I did however notice quite a few areas would sometimes have fog and other times did not, but I wasn't sure what events were going on at the time and if they were tied to those events or not.
    Last edited by Galueru; 2012-07-03 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    The weather in WvW is also dynamic, I forgot which borderlands it was but there was a time where before I got out the border keep gates there was a pretty strong blizzard and it started to dissipate one I got to the next keep. Looked pretty awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    The weather in WvW is also dynamic, I forgot which borderlands it was but there was a time where before I got out the border keep gates there was a pretty strong blizzard and it started to dissipate one I got to the next keep. Looked pretty awesome!
    There's a weather machine in the middle of each of the three similar borderland maps. I'm not sure what causes it or anything, but I know the weather machines are tied to a dynamic event.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually wondering about this earlier, because I don't remember seeing any rain (unless it has just slipped my mind).

I do recall that there was a small snowfall in Snowden Drifts, but I forget where. It was nighttime, so it was really calm and pretty....

I was in Kessex Hills exploring, and then darker clouds started rolling in, I barely seen a flash at the top of my screen (wtf moment) I looked up and watched the cloud effects, that's when I caught a sight of a huge lightning strike, then thunder, then sortly after that rain. They definitely nailed the weather, and the sounds effects to go with it.

I saw rain that didn't seem connected to an event once, that was about it. Looked good.

I know not many people necessarily agree, but I'd love it if weather effects actually DID impact your character and effects.

IE in heavy rain fire and poison gas effects are debuffed, lightning attacks enhanced, etc. Dodge in heavy rain and you have a chance to go prone. Heh.

Some people wouldn't like that, as it's just one more thing out of your control, but to me it just adds to the realism, and adds another layer of strategic choices: do I build maximum perfect-condition dps toon, or do I accept a slightly-lower dps build because it's more able to sustain that dps in imperfect conditions? I'm going to be adventuring in icy/snowy zones, do i base myself on fire damage (for the bonus effect vs cold creatures) but accept that the AoEs will be much smaller?

It's a real-world sort of thing.
    -Styopa

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds a lot like Pokemon.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.