Shoulder problems.

Everytime I run for more than 5 minutes my shoulder always starts hurting. I've noticed that one of my shoulders is slightly higher than my other and I think this is the cause of my problem.

Is there any exercises that I could do to fix this problem?

Always consult with a doctor first.

Deleted
    If it really hurts, get it checked at a doctor. If it's mild pain, I myself would just stretch the nearby muscles on a regular basis and try to ignore it, but get it checked if it gets any worse.

Is your shoulder higher only when you run, or all the time? Maybe you have posture problems, and tensing your muscles on one side only is what is causing the pains. I would suggest doing some arm movements while running, like boxing and circles.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Consult with a doctor first, could be a spinal problem. I suggest light muscle exercises. Just holding your arms above your head for 120 seconds and straight out to the sides can build muscle support. Also try to stretch often.

I'm a dancer with a shoulder problem, a hip problem, and knee issues. Stretching and muscle support helps.

Poor posture or running form (I had a teammate in high school who ran with his shoulders retracted wayyy back and it took months for him to break that habit), poor fitting shoes, scoliosis, rotator cuff injury, impingement of some kind, muscle imbalance, overly tight...it could be a lot of things.

The best thing you can do is go see a physician. There's a couple of mobility tests the doc will do to check for things. If necessary, physical therapy or other options depending on what it is. Hopefully he doesn't just jump to a MRI but it might be needed if there's question of a tear or bone spur.

So if you can afford it, go see the doc.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go and see a good osteopath or physiotherapist. They can probably tell you exactly what's wrong in a single consultation, so even if you have to pay for the session it's not going to set you back too much.

I had something a little similar myself. It wasn't causing me any pain, and I hadn't even noticed it actually, but the osteopath pointed out right away that my left shoulder was a little higher than my right. In my case it was just the muscles on that side being in spasm caused by poor posture and general tension in the upper back (which is what I went in for in the first place). She fixed it in the same session.

If you can't see a professional or can't afford to, I'd suggest general stretches for your upper back and shoulders. Get warmed up first and, as long as they don't cause you any pain, gentle stretches for your trapezius, rhomboid, and rotator cuff muscles.

Is the pain in a very specific spot, like on top of your shoulder blade, beside your neck, etc? Does it only hurt when you run, or when you do other exercises like lifting a weight up from waist height or pulling something towards your chest in a rowing motion? Have a look at an anatomy diagram like this one and see if you can work out which muscle the pain is in, then do some gentle stretching and strengthening for it:

http://www.on-hands.com/wp-content/u...atomy-copy.jpg

you clench your fist when you run.. I had this same issue when i started playing guitar, my arm muscle where so tense that it was causing shoulder pain.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskjack View Post
    you clench your fist when you run.. I had this same issue when i started playing guitar, my arm muscle where so tense that it was causing shoulder pain.
    This guy could be pretty close. When I first started running long distances my lower back and shoulders would kill me. While running try to keep everything relaxed; even your mouth/jaw. Concentrate on keeping your hands slightly open and your arms, traps, and delts/shoulders relaxed. May seem like a lot to concentrate on for just running when you're working pretty much everything, but it's easier than it sounds. Just imagine pedaling a bicycle with your arms dangling free at your sides. Same concept.

Deleted
    Dont know if it has to do with the shoulder being lower than the other but if you want to fix the level, its all in your mind and you have to keep it at the back of your head and mantain a good posture, in no time you should do it automaticly.

its probably because your spine is not align.

is your hip higher on the other side then your sholder?