Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question Help for shadow priest

Hi, firstly sorry for my bad english but i'm french , i'm playing priest since may 2012 and i dont know how to reforge? Which stats for priority? how many % is required? For the moment i use the guides by kilee on the forum and for reforge the site Mr robot but my dps is not very good.. I've 28k dps on ultraxion. More dps are possible ?? thanks for response and help

-> my shadow priest : eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/la-croisade-ecarlate/%C3%9Felezo/advanced
    -> My page on mr robot : askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/eu/la_croisade%20ecarlate/%C3%9Felezo
    -> kilee's guides : mmo-champion.com/threads/928084-Priest-PvE-Shadow-Guide-%28by-Kilee%29
    Last edited by mmocf2ba57ef25; 2012-07-04 at 12:02 PM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowreforge.com & kilee's guide

My browser is not translating it well and I do not know french, but I attempted to look over your armory and make sense of it. I will pass on the basics to you and see if this helps you.

The stats you want to hit are:

17% hit (no less, even 16.99 gives you a chance to miss here and there. If you are trying to min/max your dps, you need to be as close to 17% as possible without going under, im at 17.05 myself)

Then your main stat after that is Haste. The more the better. the 2 most common thresholds are 30% or 31.3% At 30% your VT gets an extra 2nd tick, and at 31.3% your DP gets a 3rd extra tick. You can just stack haste, haste, and more haste. but getting to at least one of these 2 thresholds needs to be your priority. The next threshold is not obtainable unless you are in fully best in slot gear, and even then its not easy. im at 403 ilvl and I just miss it.

After haste, you want to get mastery. Its not nearly as good as haste, but if your item has spirit and haste, and your well over hit cap, you can reforge the spirit/hit to mastery in this case. Crit is just not as good as hit/haste/mastery is. feel free to reforge away any crit to obtain hit, haste, or mastery as needed (in that order)

Here is a basic breakdown for you:

Under hit cap - Reforge crit/mastery to spirit. If you go through all your items like that and still need more hit, then reforge some haste to ensure that your hit capped.

Over hit cap reforge crit/mastery to haste up to one of the 2 thresholds above (30% or 31.3%)

over hit cap and above 30% or 31.3% haste - Reforge spirit/crit to mastery. (I highly doubt you will get to do this step much at all)

That should be a basic run down for you of reforging.

On a random note, In your rings you are gemming for a 10 int bonus. overall you do not want to try to get the socket bonuses unless it is 20 int or higher, so while its a small boost, get 40 or 50 int gems in your rings.

Now to just go over the basic priorities. I will type these out, and in essence this will be your "Rotation" and need to do these as much as possible.

1.) Keep all 3 of your DoT spells on your main target. If you have 2 targets, you can and should be multi dotting, but remember that DP can only be on one target, so have that on your main target. 3 or more targets? mind sear. if you have a main target and little adds (say yorsahj) dots on main boss, then mind sear.
    2.) use mind blast on CD. It does not matter if you are not at 3 shadow orbs or not, The most critical thing for a shadow priest is keeping up empowered shadows buff. I will say that 99.9% of the time if you are using mind flay or refreshing dots in between mind blast casts you will obtain at least 1 shadow orb.
    3.) Use your cooldowns effectively! Remember that archangel is a 90 second cooldown, and can be used more then once on any given fight. Pre potting just before a pull is a great boost, ask your raid lead or main tank for a countdown. Shadowfiend is a great tool as well, don't forget to use it! Also, while im not going to type out the entire thing, as im not that great at it, research the 4pc t13 rotation with your shadow fiend with mind spike/mind blast. When i do use it as poorly as I do its a significant dps boost. But you must time your use of it right!

I hope that this basic info helps you. Good luck to you!

Deleted
    Just something to point out changing fr to en will make the armory appear in english.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/fr/character/la-croisade-ecarlate/%C3%9Felezo/advanced
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/la-croisade-ecarlate/%C3%9Felezo/advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venat View Post
    The stats you want to hit are:

17% hit (no less, even 16.99 gives you a chance to miss here and there. If you are trying to min/max your dps, you need to be as close to 17% as possible without going under, im at 17.05 myself)

Then your main stat after that is Haste. The more the better. the 2 most common thresholds are 30% or 31.3% At 30% your VT gets an extra 2nd tick, and at 31.3% your DP gets a 3rd extra tick. You can just stack haste, haste, and more haste. but getting to at least one of these 2 thresholds needs to be your priority. The next threshold is not obtainable unless you are in fully best in slot gear, and even then its not easy. im at 403 ilvl and I just miss it.

After haste, you want to get mastery. Its not nearly as good as haste, but if your item has spirit and haste, and your well over hit cap, you can reforge the spirit/hit to mastery in this case. Crit is just not as good as hit/haste/mastery is. feel free to reforge away any crit to obtain hit, haste, or mastery as needed (in that order)

Here is a basic breakdown for you:

Under hit cap - Reforge crit/mastery to spirit. If you go through all your items like that and still need more hit, then reforge some haste to ensure that your hit capped.

Over hit cap reforge crit/mastery to haste up to one of the 2 thresholds above (30% or 31.3%)

over hit cap and above 30% or 31.3% haste - Reforge spirit/crit to mastery. (I highly doubt you will get to do this step much at all)

That should be a basic run down for you of reforging.

On a random note, In your rings you are gemming for a 10 int bonus. overall you do not want to try to get the socket bonuses unless it is 20 int or higher, so while its a small boost, get 40 or 50 int gems in your rings.

Now to just go over the basic priorities. I will type these out, and in essence this will be your "Rotation" and need to do these as much as possible.

1.) Keep all 3 of your DoT spells on your main target. If you have 2 targets, you can and should be multi dotting, but remember that DP can only be on one target, so have that on your main target. 3 or more targets? mind sear. if you have a main target and little adds (say yorsahj) dots on main boss, then mind sear.
    2.) use mind blast on CD. It does not matter if you are not at 3 shadow orbs or not, The most critical thing for a shadow priest is keeping up empowered shadows buff. I will say that 99.9% of the time if you are using mind flay or refreshing dots in between mind blast casts you will obtain at least 1 shadow orb.
    3.) Use your cooldowns effectively! Remember that archangel is a 90 second cooldown, and can be used more then once on any given fight. Pre potting just before a pull is a great boost, ask your raid lead or main tank for a countdown. Shadowfiend is a great tool as well, don't forget to use it! Also, while im not going to type out the entire thing, as im not that great at it, research the 4pc t13 rotation with your shadow fiend with mind spike/mind blast. When i do use it as poorly as I do its a significant dps boost. But you must time your use of it right!

I hope that this basic info helps you. Good luck to you!

Quite a bit wrong with this, if I'm honest.

I'll start with your haste thresholds. I know the OP asked for %s, but using Haste rating is far better as %s are actually misleading due to the way certain DoTs scale. As OP is undead, the threshold for the extra Vampiric Touch tick is 2589 Haste unless you have Dark Intent, in which case the magic number is 2141.
    Your Devouring Plague does NOT gain an extra tick at 31.3% Haste. Devouring Plague, unlike Vampiric Touch, Shadow Word: Pain and Mind Flay doesn't benefit from Haste %. It benefits from your haste rating and haste rating alone, and the extra tick is at 3202 Haste. This threshold is actually not difficult to reach especially if you're using Bottled Wishes.

My advice to OP is, unless you can reach 3202 comfortably (and preferably without using Bottled Wishes), go for 2589/2141 Haste (more is fine, but these thresholds are your main aims) and after that you can begin to reforge to Mastery a little more until you can reach the 3202 threshold.

Also, the fact that you (Venat) believe that "Mastery is not nearly as good as Haste" is rather amusing. This tier in particular, Mastery is far stronger due to our 4 set bonus and at the highest level of gear, Mastery > Haste. Getting 3 orbs often through Shadowy Apparitions and Shadowfiend means that it's much, much easier to maintain a full 100% uptime on Empowered Shadows throughout a fight and using the Spike rotation properly with Archangel and Shadowfiend when stacking Mastery is just a huge DPS increase.

Finally, Venat, his gemming of 20 int/20 Haste gems in yellow sockets is fine, as he's above 6K Intellect. There's nothing wrong with his Gems/Enchants besides perhaps getting Lavawalker on his boots but this is preferential.

OT:

If you're worried about your DPS, your best bet is to try and log some fights so that we can see what you're doing, 28K on Ultraxion depending on your group comp might actually be fine, especially if you're getting unlucky with Fading Lights, so forth. If you provide logs we can provide more in-depth ways of improving your DPS .

There's honestly very little wrong with your reforging/gems/enchants. The only thing I would say is, as you have T13 4set, you might want to lose a little Haste so you're at 2589 (or as close to it as possible without being under) and then go for Mastery > Crit. Eventually you'll get enough base crit off your intellect to compensate for the rather low values you'll probably see.

Until very high levels of gear (405+ or thereabouts) Haste is our best stat. I would say that you should just go all out haste but it seems like you've already done that in your reforges, so in your particular case I would go with what I said above. I won't bother saying reforge priorities because you've read Kilee's guide and they're quite plainly stated there.

As I've said, if you log your fights and link them here we'll be able to help you much easier, but until then just work on your rotation so that it's as close to perfect as possible, do some research into Spiking and where it's viable and you're set

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    -snipetisnip-
    Mastery is only better then haste on two fights, ultraxion and hagara, because on all others you can multidot and that will amplify the benefit of haste and reforging for 2 out of 8 fights is just silly.

To some extent you could argue that mastery is better then haste on spine, but you shouldnt be needing that much extra dps on tendons and that will make you do more dps over all on amal's, bloods and corruptions and that might make the fight easier then getting the tendon down a few seconds earlier assuming you get 2 lifts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Joyful View Post
    Mastery is only better then haste on two fights, ultraxion and hagara, because on all others you can multidot and that will amplify the benefit of haste and reforging for 2 out of 8 fights is just silly.

To some extent you could argue that mastery is better then haste on spine, but you shouldnt be needing that much extra dps on tendons and that will make you do more dps over all on amal's, bloods and corruptions and that might make the fight easier then getting the tendon down a few seconds earlier assuming you get 2 lifts.
    Mastery is better than Haste on Morchok (unless tanks are tanking them close enough that you can actually multidot throughout the entire fight), Zon'ozz (despite multi-dotting you get more damage from stacks on boss and mastery amplifies this), Hagara (obvious), Ultraxion (obvious), Spine because DPS on Amalgs isn't as important as damage on tendons, especially on Heroic. Can argue that on Madness due to 20% Haste buff having more Mastery is never a bad thing. Not to mention that on HC you get disgusting damage on Cataclysm phases.

Hmm. That makes 6. Reforging for 2 out of 8 fights is just silly.

Deleted
    Mastery is better than Haste on Morchok (unless tanks are tanking them close enough that you can actually multidot throughout the entire fight), Zon'ozz (despite multi-dotting you get more damage from stacks on boss and mastery amplifies this), Hagara (obvious), Ultraxion (obvious), Spine because DPS on Amalgs isn't as important as damage on tendons, especially on Heroic. Can argue that on Madness due to 20% Haste buff having more Mastery is never a bad thing. Not to mention that on HC you get disgusting damage on Cataclysm phases.

Hmm. That makes 6. Reforging for 2 out of 8 fights is just silly.
    Morchok, multidotting is possible and that makes haste better.
    Yor'Sahj, multidotting + AoE is possible making haster better.
    Zonozz, multidotting, and when you go in to black phase and don't target the boss your dots will still do damage and that damage will be amplified, making haste better.
    Hagara, Mastery.
    Ultraxion, Mastery.
    Warmaster, multidotting throughout the fight making haste better.
    Spine, alright this is not as straightforward because as long as you get 2 lifts it wont matter if you got mastery or haste on tendons and if you do get 2 lifts no matter what, haste will be better because it increases the speed of the fight because of higher dps on everything else, if you don't manage to get 2 lifts or are close to doing it in 1 lift, then mastery is better.
    Madness, haste and mastery is quite equal here I'd say because of the 20% haste buff, but if you chose to use cooldowns during cataclysm instead off on the tentacle where the dps is usually needed then its just useless dps really but mastery will give more dps, but when AoEing the bloods the main portion of the damage is spellweave, and getting haste will increase that while mastery wont.

Though, in the end going mastery or haste wont make more difference then actually playing properly.
    Last edited by mmoc2b9514a7e1; 2012-07-04 at 04:57 PM.

Deleted
    Though, in the end going mastery or haste wont make more difference then actually playing properly.
    I agree :P

10+ Year Old Account
    All in all you are much better reforged, gemmed and enchanted than many I see. Moving one point of Mental Agility to Inner Sanctum would be the only talent change I see, as mentioned Lava Walker on boots. Without a log to look at, double checked and I do not see any available, we cannot offer advice for rotaions or area's you may need improvement.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is the answer to 90% of the threads looking for help with reforging. Both 30% haste and a full haste build are very playable and possible to use to get very high numbers. The real trick is learning to use your spells and cooldowns to the fullest potential of their abilities, and manipulating them within the mechanics of each fight to obtain the best numbers.
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Vargur; 2012-07-05 at 02:17 PM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    thanks for your response i've changed reforge with mastery and hate for test but i dont know how to have the log if you can tell me ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venat View Post

That's flat out wrong..being over 17% hit is unarguably a dps loss. You decide yourself how far sub 17 u want to go, or if you wanna stay at 17 % exactly, but going over is a dps loss that doesn't need explanation

Me myself is on 16.89% for the past month, i can only remember one spell missing, a mindflay, which was on a trash mob in DS. Also the miniscule chance of a spell missing on a boss and the dps lost from it, is made up again by the stat values that gain more by going sub 17% hit. Also the ticks of dots already applied can't miss...it's preferrential...but you should not ever rise above 17%
    Last edited by mmocf5630be4f9; 2012-07-06 at 09:45 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belezo View Post
    i dont know how to have the log if you can tell me ?
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/help/index/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulverpadda View Post
    That's flat out wrong..being over 17% hit is unarguably a dps loss. You decide yourself how far sub 17 u want to go, or if you wanna stay at 17 % exactly, but going over is a dps loss that doesn't need explanation

Me myself is on 16.89% for the past month, i can only remember one spell missing, a mindflay, which was on a trash mob in DS. Also the miniscule chance of a spell missing on a boss and the dps lost from it, is made up again by the stat values that gain more by going sub 17% hit. Also the ticks of dots already applied can't miss...it's preferrential...but you should not ever rise above 17%
    I concur. You could be well under 17% especially when mastery wasn't so important, in T11 and T12. Now with 4p, rather not miss a spell though.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulverpadda View Post

The only time it was acceptable to be under spell hit was in t11 when the amount of other 2ndary stats you were sacrificing were to much to be worth it.

The only time it was acceptable to be under spell hit was in t11 when the amount of other 2ndary stats you were sacrificing were to much to be worth it.
    mmm no you really ought to be able to pop under the hit cap. I always lose a hundred or so DPS in simcraft when I'm over, even like 17.11% or something like that. If you are at 17.11%, that's .11%'s worth of hit that you could have spent on another stat. Not much, but it can quickly reach about half a gem (20 int equivalent, and hit is pretty near int before the cap). It is definitely worth it to duck under the cap just a tad as opposed to going over so you aren't wasting stats. Certainly not as much as people were doing in t11, but a small percentage is worth it. Remember, people pay 5k gold for 10 more int these days.
    Last edited by Felade; 2012-07-06 at 12:44 PM.

Quite a bit wrong with this, if I'm honest.
    Your Devouring Plague does NOT gain an extra tick at 31.3% Haste. Devouring Plague, unlike Vampiric Touch, Shadow Word: Pain and Mind Flay doesn't benefit from Haste %. It benefits from your haste rating and haste rating alone, and the extra tick is at 3202 Haste. This threshold is actually not difficult to reach especially if you're using Bottled Wishes.

No, this is completely wrong.
    Devouring Plague DOES gain an extra tick at 2737 rating. However, it will only gain extra damage upfront at 3202. Two very different things!
    The reason people generally don't mention the extra DP tick, is that you usually recast DP everytime you get a proc of something, therefore the extra tick is usually wasted. The extra upfront damage at 3202, however, is very useful and good to aim for.

All in all in this thread:
    OP, go read Kilee's Shadow Guide. It's arguably the best one there is and you should get all your answers there!
    Last edited by Zarqa; 2012-07-06 at 10:37 PM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's definitely not easy to hit 3202 without close to BiS gear, though. But I agree, if you can, it is definitely not a bad idea.
    www.mostlydead.enjin.com - We're recruiting!