Thread: RAM question

15+ Year Old Account

RAM question

Hey folks, I'm about to run out and get new ram (long story) but I wanted to ask something first. When I use CPU-Z to check the speed of my ram it says it's 8gb, which I understand, but the other stuff I don't. When I look under the Memory tab in CPU-Z it says it's DDR3, Dual Channel, and NB Freq. of 2377MHz. Below that it says the DRAM Freq is 530MHz.

On the Speed tab of the same program is says that each stick of ram is 2gb and Max Bandwith is PC3-8500F (533MHz).

Ok, here is my question would getting a higher Freq ram like 1333 or 1600 be better? When Buying ram I've rarely paid attention to anything other than how many Gigs it was.

Also, the short story of why I'm replacing my ram is because after a few trips to the PC repair place, the only thing they can figure why I get random complete PC freezing is that my ram is faulty. We've tried lots of stuff including running Virus sweeps using three different programs, and next on the list is replacing my ram. We've already replaced my GPU 1st, then the PSU, the PCU fan and now going to replace the Ram. Of course this is all fine with me since I'm upgrading each piece.

Thanks.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Deleted
    Perhaps you have already bought them, but you will not notice any difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz in 99% of the cases. It's possible that might be different if you do a lot of rendering or such but as far as I know you will not notice any difference in games and surfing/watching movies

Faulty RAM won't freeze your PC mate - I think someone at the shop is just guessing!

Your PC won't boot if the RAM is faulty, so take one out at at time and use the process of elimination?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubez View Post
    Perhaps you have already bought them, but you will not notice any difference between 1333mhz and 1600mhz in 99% of the cases. It's possible that might be different if you do a lot of rendering or such but as far as I know you will not notice any difference in games and surfing/watching movies
    Ok thanks for that Info. I'll make sure I don't get anything higher than 1333.

Quote Originally Posted by pommy View Post
    Faulty RAM won't freeze your PC mate - I think someone at the shop is just guessing!

Your PC won't boot if the RAM is faulty, so take one out at at time and use the process of elimination?
    That's pretty much where we're at. They've completely eliminated the any software issues, we're just on to hardware stuff. Again, it allow's me to upgrade my PC a piece at a time so as annoying as the random freezing is, it convinces the wife to allow it since my PC "isn't working right". I honestly hope this fixes it, but I'm in the same mind set as you, I can't imagine the RAM being the problem.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Quote Originally Posted by pommy View Post

Umm.... what? Not to flame, but it sounds as if both pommy and the shop you take your computer to have no idea what they are doing.

Edit: Maybe you should elaborate on what is happening to your computer that causes it freeze. Are you playing games? Sitting idle? Etc etc
    Last edited by Beyturga; 2012-07-06 at 11:52 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    GPU is your friend

But 4gb ram is nice enough for games, only if u do visual edit u need more ram/vid.
    Last edited by Azerox; 2012-07-07 at 12:05 AM.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Hey folks, I'm about to run out and get new ram (long story) but I wanted to ask something first. When I use CPU-Z to check the speed of my ram it says it's 8gb, which I understand, but the other stuff I don't. When I look under the Memory tab in CPU-Z it says it's DDR3, Dual Channel, and NB Freq. of 2377MHz. Below that it says the DRAM Freq is 530MHz.

On the Speed tab of the same program is says that each stick of ram is 2gb and Max Bandwith is PC3-8500F (533MHz).

Ok, here is my question would getting a higher Freq ram like 1333 or 1600 be better? When Buying ram I've rarely paid attention to anything other than how many Gigs it was.

Also, the short story of why I'm replacing my ram is because after a few trips to the PC repair place, the only thing they can figure why I get random complete PC freezing is that my ram is faulty. We've tried lots of stuff including running Virus sweeps using three different programs, and next on the list is replacing my ram. We've already replaced my GPU 1st, then the PSU, the PCU fan and now going to replace the Ram. Of course this is all fine with me since I'm upgrading each piece.

Thanks.
    Since we're talking about DDR (dual data rate), you should multiply the reported frequency by 2. That is DDR3 1066 you have there (530x2)... Other than the freequence, you should look at the timings, but if you don't understand them, let's just oversimplify by saying "lower is better".

Have you tried turning on system dump and using bluescreenviewer to see what was the last thing your operating system tried to do before freezing? Could give you a hint.

If it "just freezes" it sounds like the HDD.

I recommend to try running Crystal Disk Info

Normally there's something weird going on with the screen, or a BSOD or the machine powers off if it's the GPU / RAM / PSU

There's other sorts of complications too but, if the only thing you get is a lock up, my first guess would be the HDD, or a software (driver) problem.
    So if the Crystal Disk Info comes back clean, try updating all of your drivers for your keyboard/mouse/sound/NC/GPU
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Did you try running Memtest on your computer? That should be the first step the people at the shop did to try find any faults with your RAM but you never know.