Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    Probably if an account is bough in europe, cannot be transferred during the prepurchase period on other datacenters.
    Beta could not be affected (beta servers after all) but final could give issues during the login process if an account is bough in europe and first log (and any other log in future) is american/asian (and viceversa). This means it's ip locked, this login. So everyone planning to buy this game, could be truly ready to throw his game into trash, expecially if resident/moving outside europe/ the region you bough the account.

Quite idiot. If i live for example in japan, i pay with dollars from japan, my datacenter is american, and my ip restricted to japan only?
    Well, yes and no. It's IP locked in a sense that it retrieves where you're playing from; you're not restricted to just a single IP. So you live in Japan, and play GW2 from your house. Say you have a laptop as well as a desktop computer. You can play on one, log off, then hop on the other and play. Then you can take a bus to your friend in the next town and play on his computer for a while. Then maybe, for whatever reason, you take a flight over to India - you can play from there too. The only difficulty is when you get to a European country and try to play it. That's when you won't be able to log on, without first contacting Arenanet and letting them know that you're in a European country for a while and want to play GW2.

As for throwing it in the trash, Arenanet will most likely be clear on why you can't log in. Something along the lines of a popup saying "uh-oh, you're in another region than we were expecting! If you want to play from this region from now on, go here and fill in this form."

They really need to add Asian/Oceania servers. It's kind of odd how they don't, even though the producer is an Korean based company.

edit: Actually, isn't the subsidiary in Washington the producer? How does that work? They're both called NCsoft.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Actually, isn't the subsidiary in Washington the producer? How does that work? They're both called NCsoft.
    The US-based subsidiary is called NCSoft West. That said, I don't know whether NCSoft or NCSoft West is the publisher of GW2, but I reckon it's the mother company.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    The US-based subsidiary is called NCSoft West. That said, I don't know whether NCSoft or NCSoft West is the publisher of GW2, but I reckon it's the mother company.
    You're a mother company.

Anyways, according to their website:

NCsoft West is a division of Korean online game powerhouse NCsoft and holds operating responsibilities for North America, Europe, South America, and Australia/New Zealand. With its game development studios on the North American West Coast and professional publishing organization in Seattle, NCsoft West delivers some of the top MMO franchises to the gaming public, including City of Heroes®, Guild Wars®, the upcoming Guild Wars 2™, Lineage®, Lineage II, and Aion™.

Deleted
    You're a mother company.
    Awww, that's so sweet of you to say.

Anyways, according to their website:
    That's funny, because no matter how hard I look, the only game I can find which has been published by NCSoft West is Aion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    That's funny, because no matter how hard I look, the only game I can find which has been published by NCSoft West is Aion.
    http://us.ncsoft.com/en/jobs/

And this

http://us.ncsoft.com/en/

This is the global site: http://www.ncsoft.net/global/ (not Ncsoft West)

10+ Year Old Account
    I received the answer: it works. You can buy an account in europe, pay with your european credit card, create in europe your account, and log from asia / usa , choosing american servers. My question covered all those points and they shortly answered: yes.

So, who was wondering if Anet was going to investigate this issue, it seems it's not an issue anymore. Maybe considering the exception case, and how GW1 was working , it was quite senseless.

Meh, well done, let's see on august if everything works properly as expected

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Ashrock View Post
    I received the answer: it works. You can buy an account in europe, pay with your european credit card, create in europe your account, and log from asia / usa , choosing american servers. My question covered all those points and they shortly answered: yes.

So, who was wondering if Anet was going to investigate this issue, it seems it's not an issue anymore. Maybe considering the exception case, and how GW1 was working , it was quite senseless.

Meh, well done, let's see on august if everything works properly as expected
    The "issue" is that say you buy in the US, you can play on EU servers just fine BUT say you travel to the EU for work or school or vacation or family or what not, if you bought the game in the US(or countries that default to the US aka any non EU country) you can not play on any server EU or US from the EU, you can only log into the game from where you bought it.

It is region locked as to where you can access it from, not as to what you can play on once your on, so the issue is for those who travel a lot or move, yes its not most people but it is enough people to be considered a issue.

What? Do you want to say they have IP region locks? That's ridiculous.

P.S. And after that you are going to tell me NCSoft has no influence on the game development? IP lock idiocy is their crown trick, btw.
    Last edited by Tackhisis; 2012-07-08 at 05:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyranne View Post
    Hello, I have a question about the Guild Wars 2 servers:

If I live in Europe or Asia or Latin America or w/e, will I be able to play on US servers? I had read something about it a few months ago but I can't find it.
    You can play on whatever server you want from any part of the world.

The only thing involved in localization is that, apparently, if you have an EU copy of the game, you can't play your account from the US? I heard they had a solution for people who travel, but I honestly forget what it is, since I don't travel.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    What? Do you want to say they have IP region bans? That's ridiculous.

P.S. And after that you are going to tell me NCSoft has no influence on the game development? IP ban idiocy is their crown trick, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guildwars2 facebook
    Is my copy of Guild Wars 2 tied to my region?

Yes. To play from North America you must purchase a North American copy of the game. To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

By purchasing the correct copy of the game, you're supporting the game in your country, and you'll be connecting to your local data center, using your local customer support team, and downloading the correct language support for your country.

~RB2
    http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/p...3&__att=iframe

Not region bans, just region locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Guildwars2 facebook
    Here are some answers and clarifications for you! First, if you purchase the game from https://buy.guildwars2.com/ you'll automatically be sorted into the right region.

And don't worry -- we want you to play with your friends wherever you are. This policy only affects where you can login from -- not which worlds you can access. People from NA will be able to play with people from EU at launch. We've got two datacenters -- one in NA and one in EU. Those who do not fall into either of those two regions will default to the NA datacenter.

Finally, we are aware that a lot of our players travel, and we are looking into a solution for you.

Hope that helps some! ~RB2
    http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/p...25415807474699
    Last edited by Hockeyhacker; 2012-07-08 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyhacker View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2/p...3&__att=iframe

Not region bans, just region locks.
    Don't respond to anything Tackhisis says. It's best to just ignore him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't see how that would be NCSoft influence. Sounds more like a negative side-effect of how they've set up their server technology, and they haven't figured out how to get around it, while still keeping the benefits of their current implementation.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

What? Do you want to say they have IP region bans? That's ridiculous.

P.S. And after that you are going to tell me NCSoft has no influence on the game development? IP ban idiocy is their crown trick, btw.
    Nobody has said that. I suggest you bother reading before posting. Intentionally trying to stir up trouble has gotten you banned (multiple times I might add) in the past, and will continue to get you banned. We're not stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Nobody has said that. I suggest you bother reading before posting. Intentionally trying to stir up trouble has gotten you banned (multiple times I might add) in the past, and will continue to get you banned. We're not stupid.
    I think he's past the point of deserving warnings....

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    ...Intentionally trying to stir up trouble has gotten you banned (multiple times I might add) in the past, and will continue to get you banned. We're not stupid.
    How the stating that I cannot play on US servers after buying US version of the game (!) just because I live outside the US, is "stirring trouble"? I find it unacceptable and have a right to find it so.

How the stating that I cannot play on US servers after buying US version of the game (!) just because I live outside the US, is "stirring trouble"? I find it unacceptable and have a right to find it so.
    I know, I shouldn't do this, but I hate letting idiocy fly. It's stirring trouble because it's incorrect and you're just trying to spread lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

To play from Europe you must purchase a European copy of the game. Note that this restriction impacts where you can play from, not which game worlds you can choose to play on.

How am I spreading lies? It is region locking, in its worst form. Where was I incorrect?

You can play on any server you want no matter where you play at.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Still no Oceanic datacenter.

You could move to NZ to get 180ms, and live like a king thanks to the exchange rate
    Nuuuuuu God damn it living on this outcast of an island.....

You know I could, but something about the accent makes me tick!