Poll: Who do you think would win?

Deleted

Megalodon vs Predator X?

I know that they didn't actually live in the same period. But hypothetically, let's say that C. megalodon and Predator X did face off.

-Who do you think would win?

It'd likely depend on who got the first attack in. I imagine that it would decide the battle entirely. Not sure which one it'd be, though.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynta Vali Daseriu View Post
    It'd likely depend on who got the first attack in. I imagine that it would decide the battle entirely. Not sure which one it'd be, though.
    I 50% agree but it would also depend on the location/terrain.

~Spazzer

Deleted
    Unless i am mistaken, isn't the Megalodon significantly larger than Predator X ?
    Last edited by mmocf470da16f3; 2012-07-07 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    Tough one, I'd say Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    Unless i am mistaken, isn't the Megalodon significantly larger than Predator X ?
    I think for interests sake it would be best to view them as being about the same size. Given there have been limited remains found for Predator X - was about 15ms long, however we don't know how big this was for its species, where the Megalodon is widely disputed in size, but could have been somewhere between 15-25ms long

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynta Vali Daseriu View Post
    Predator X probably had a thicker hide than Megalodon.
    But I guess that wouldn't really matter as the first one to land a bite would probably win.

Tough call.

by the title, i thought this was about a cartoon show like transformers or something like that, then I googled both the names, now Im frightened

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now, keep in mind that all the stats on both of these animals are very much conjecture. We have no full bodies of either one, and when you're trying to extrapolate an entire animal out of some teeth and spine pieces (in the Megalodon's case) there is a lot of room for error. Either way, given what we know the most likely result of a fight is that they would both sustain fatal wounds, leaving no winner at all to claim victory. As no animal likes that end result, they'd probably go through fairly great lengths to avoid each other.

That being said, to the best of our knowledge the Megalodon was somewhat larger than Pred X, and had a bite force that was even higher as well. Pred X was likely to be heavier armored, but that could actually be a downside considering that both animals probably had a bite so powerful as to be effectively irresistable. The Megalodon also has 100 more years of evolution on it's side, sharks are a deadly combination of speed, maneuverability, and power. Pred X was a pliosaur, most similar to the Liopleurodon, which was structured in such a way as to have a high acceleration ability to perform ambush bursts, but poor long-term efficiency and mediocre maneuverability. I think the Megalodon is the more dangerous opponent overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisso View Post
    by the title, i thought this was about a cartoon show like transformers or something like that, then I googled both the names, now Im frightened
    There's nothing to be afraid of... In contrast to the monster under your bed, these creatures are small fries, and they're mostly restricted to deep sea.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Now, keep in mind that all the stats on both of these animals are very much conjecture. We have no full bodies of either one, and when you're trying to extrapolate an entire animal out of some teeth and spine pieces (in the Megalodon's case) there is a lot of room for error. Either way, given what we know the most likely result of a fight is that they would both sustain fatal wounds, leaving no winner at all to claim victory. As no animal likes that end result, they'd probably go through fairly great lengths to avoid each other.

That being said, to the best of our knowledge the Megalodon was somewhat larger than Pred X, and had a bite force that was even higher as well. Pred X was likely to be heavier armored, but that could actually be a downside considering that both animals probably had a bite so powerful as to be effectively irresistable. The Megalodon also has 100 more years of evolution on it's side, sharks are a deadly combination of speed, maneuverability, and power. Pred X was a pliosaur, most similar to the Liopleurodon, which was structured in such a way as to have a high acceleration ability to perform ambush bursts, but poor long-term efficiency and mediocre maneuverability. I think the Megalodon is the more dangerous opponent overall.
    As said before even though everything you say is most likely true, whoever got the first hit would be victorious. Simply put, Predator X most likely had a bite like an alligator... build to hold on while Megalodon, a shark, cuts off flesh. If Predator X would get Megalodon's tail the shark would have no way to retalliate... if Megalodon took a rip out of Predator X he'd more than likely bleed to death rather quickly considering that's how most modern day sharks work and seeing evolution... i doubt it'd be any different back then for both species. Though the size of Megalodon has been pretty accurate. They found so many tooth species, unless sharks were completely different back then it should be about right though it's always a tough call.

Deleted
    Moved to Fun Stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Predator Drone would win. Big bombs > big teeth.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

didnt know what "predator X" was so I did some searching and came across this pic.
    I've no idea what to write here.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, if you watch sharks swim, most of them are plenty capable of touching their nose to their own tail. Sharks are mostly cartilage, they're /very/ flexible for their size. While you're right about Pred X being likely to be built to hold on, there are limits to how effective that is. There's not a whole lot of spots you can get a good grip on a shark bigger than you are, really unless you can get it's spine between your teeth a Megalodon will most likely tear itself free of any other bite. Sure, the wound left from such a tearing is likely going to kill the shark, but not without it having a chance at some retaliatory strikes. It's the same thing in reverse... as massive as a Megalodon's mouth is, it can't fit something the size of Pred X in it. So again, unless the first bite severs the spine, the other animal /will/ retaliate. You're looking at a fight where both animals can easily inflict fatal wounds, but neither can easily inflict instantly fatal wounds. Hence my assessment that the most common result would be the death of both animals.

There's a reason why nothing kills a great white shark by trying to bite it. Dolphins are the most successful animal at fighting sharks, and that's because they use extreme speed and maneuverability to do hit-and-run crushing attacks (which happen to be the great weakness of a cartilage body) while minimizing their exposure to the shark's mouth. Neither Pred X nor the Megalodon is designed to use this type of combat against each other, making the likelihood of coming out of a battle unscathed low even for the one who gets the first hit in.