• Dr. Manhattan

96 73.85%
Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

MMO-Champion Ultimate Showdown Rnd 3 Match 4: Super Mario vs. Dr. Manhattan

Brackets located here

Match 4 features Super Mario

Mario is the iconic character of the video games series sporting his name. his trademark ability is his jump, which is strong enough to allow him to leap two stories high, and employ many acrobatic feats, including wall jumps and spin jumps. he uses a variety of power-ups as well. Some of the more classic ones include: the fire flower allows him to shoot fireballs; the Tanooki suit allows him to fly, use a tail attack, and turn to stone; the frog suit, which allows him to swim at much faster speeds. He's even known to grow to a size several stories tall, and crush anything in his way. With his cape, he can hover and fly, and even run up walls.

Versus Dr. Manhatten

Dr. Jonathan "Jon" Osterman is a physicist who was transformed into a blue-skinned god-like being after he was disintegrated in an Intrinsic Field Subtractor in 1959. Within a few months, his disembodied consciousness managed to reconstruct a physical body for itself. His powers include superhuman strength, telekinesis, teleportation, control over matter at a subatomic level, and near-total clairvoyance. He perceives the past, present and future as happening simultaneously, but states that he cannot act on that knowledge since his own actions and reactions to events (as is reality itself) are predetermined. His ability to see the future can be blocked by a surge of tachyons, such as that released when Ozymandias puts the final step of his plan into action. He can alter his body's size, coloration, density, and strength. He does not need food, water, or air, and is, for all intents and purposes, immortal. He can teleport himself and others over great (even interplanetary and perhaps intergalactic) distances.

um.... yeah. I don't think this one is much of a contest. I mean when one character is just that much more overpowered, it kind of makes it trivial. Of course I am talking about Mario, hes just too good! Dr. Manhattan won't know what jumped on him!

Well, this is probably the easiest answer yet. Quickie way to turn Mario into a 'mature' game, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    Well, this is probably the easiest answer yet. Quickie way to turn Mario into a 'mature' game, lol.
    I'll agree with you this time, this matchup is just stupid.

Never heard of Dr Manhattan, voting Mario.

10+ Year Old Account
    All Mario needs is an Invincibility Star, then he can kill Dr. Manhattan just by running into him.

This is a silly match. Doctor Manhattan can deconstruct Mario, turning him into paste with a single thought. Oh, and as for the silly invincibility star argument, Doctor Manhattan could just teleport them all to the other side of the universe before Mario could even grab one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mismatching at its finest i feel sorry for my favourite Plummer. The dr would yust make himself grow so mario cant jump on his head!

10+ Year Old Account
    i feel the people who are voting for mario just vote for him because he's mario. Dr. Manhattan has powers closing in on Gods for crying out loud! no matter what Mario does, Manhattan can just remake his physical form and continue not caring

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mehman View Post
    i feel the people who are voting for mario just vote for him because he's mario. Dr. Manhattan has powers closing in on Gods for crying out loud! no matter what Mario does, Manhattan can just remake his physical form and continue not caring
    When its so terribly one sided, its not even fun, so yeah, people are voting for Mario. There's no discussion to be bad, its just obvious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voting Mario because well... He's a genuinely fun character and mr "I teleport things away+I am invincible+I disintegrate stuff and stuff" is honesly not worthy of a title of awesome character.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

Deleted
    I'm surprised Dr. Manhattan is actually winning! I was absolutely convinced the mindless armies of the Nintendo-fanboys would rush in to vote for Mario without as much as googling a single thing about the Dr. I hope this keeps up and Mario gets the beating he deserves for being one, if not the, most overrated character of the gaming industry EVER.

Internet +1

This matchup actually made me laugh out loud when I saw it. Poor Mario.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    All Mario needs is an Invincibility Star, then he can kill Dr. Manhattan just by running into him.
    This is easily the best argument anyone is going to be able to make for Mario, though Manhattan could easily just do the same thing. Poor Mario, a simple man in the presence of a god. Manhattan it is.

Btw Pendulous, thanks for setting up this fun contest. I've been meaning to thank you for a couple days. I think it sets a precedent for other fun contests, and we've probably learned what characters should and shouldn't be included in such contests. I think god like characters should fight each other and normal joes should fight each other. In any case, these threads have been fun to look in on, so thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    This is easily the best argument anyone is going to be able to make for Mario, though Manhattan could easily just do the same thing. Poor Mario, a simple man in the presence of a god. Manhattan it is.

Btw Pendulous, thanks for setting up this fun contest. I've been meaning to thank you for a couple days. I think it sets a precedent for other fun contests, and we've probably learned what characters should and shouldn't be included in such contests. I think god like characters should fight each other and normal joes should fight each other. In any case, these threads have been fun to look in on, so thanks!
    Yeah first try gave some insight into how to make it better.

As far as Mario goes, can anyone else even use the stars? Super Smash Bros. isn't canon, nor is Super Mario Bros. 2 (it was a completely different game redone for North America). That leaves Mario and Luigi as the only two who have benefited from it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finland, the night is dark and full of terrors.
    This is so unfair for poor Mario.. Where is Dr. Manhattan from btw?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    As far as Mario goes, can anyone else even use the stars? Super Smash Bros. isn't canon, nor is Super Mario Bros. 2 (it was a completely different game redone for North America). That leaves Mario and Luigi as the only two who have benefited from it.
    In the Mario Kart games, anyone can get the star and cause damage to someone else, so I don't think it has to be Mario or Luigi. Though if we can't count other games then numbered Mario games, then yes, it's just M&L. If it touches a goomba or something the goomba isn't going to turn invincible in mario 1/3/whatever.

I'm pretty sure there are several things in Mario games totally immune to the stars or that go through star immunity. It's not an instant win.

Quote Originally Posted by Caiada View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are several things in Mario games totally immune to the stars or that go through star immunity. It's not an instant win.
    Even with complete immunity to damage, Dr. Manhattan could teleport Mario to another dimension. Dr. Manhattan is as close to a "God" as I can think of. I can't imagine a scenario of Dr. Manhattan legitimately losing, only a stalemate.

Voted Dr. Manhattan.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alas, poor Mario. I knew him well.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!