Poll: Is this griefing on Pvp servers?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keh View Post
    I am willing to bet you are one of those guys in a pvp guild who do nothing without your 5-10 friends nearby or witnessing your 'skills' / hearing about them on Vent/Skype etc.

And to answer the poll - your options in the poll are all reasons we have separate PvP servers in the first place - to ALLOW what you are classing as griefing.
    And I'm willing to bet you are one of these mentioned in my post.

Uh-oh, looks like we've got some fierce defenders of Camping and proper pvp here.

Yes, PvP means 'it's red it's dead be ready at all times' or whatever, but if I see a lowbie who is just trying to quest (I'm talkin' like, level 14), I'll just leave them alone. If I encounter another 85, or an 80 that's derping around, then of course I'll kill them.

I really don't get any joy from killing a lowbie because it's the same thing as going into the barrens and killing the raptors there. You just one shot them and... whoohoo, i guess? You don't even get any honor. At least low level raptors cough up some silver.

If a level 85 is camping a populous level 40 town then yes it is griefing. Level 40's literally have no chance

It is never Griefing.

You roll on a PvP server, which means Player versus Player, within that name contains no pre-fixes or guidelines, such as Lvl85P v Lvl85P.
    If you die to another player on a PvP server, no matter how many times or how he did it is part of the plan.
    Last edited by Pool of the Dead; 2012-07-09 at 02:19 PM.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

15+ Year Old Account
    For all those who are getting camped, remember one thing, revenge is dish best served cold.

The answer to all is the same:

If you think anything is griefing then what are you doing on a pvp server?

The enemy has every right to attack you no matter your skill, gear , lvl etc, etc.

You can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    I'd say only corpsecamping really counts as griefing, but my sense of honor is not the same as everyone else's.
    Yes, honor. No, not the points. Yes, I'm an old-fashioned warrior.

Inconvenienced? It's war, mate.
    Unequal levels? The rookie shouldn't win from the grizzled war veteran. Run.
    Unequal gear? Get better.
    Mobs on you? That just means your enemy waited for an opportune moment to strike.
    Trying to quest? Then your enemy caught you offguard.
    Attacked in your city? Defend it.

Corpsecamping? Dishonorable.
    Corpse and GY camping? Double dishonorable.

thease 2 are the only 1's that would classify as grefing imo im no fan of pvp im even on a pvp server but thease are the only 2 i cant stand over all i agree with the whole post compleatly

10+ Year Old Account
    if being randomly killed on a pvp server annoys you, you rolled on wrong server type

Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    Attacking someone on a pvp server is never griefing.

If I have mobs on me it's griefing.

If I'm just trying to quest and this idiot won't leave me alone it's griefing.

If he's camping my corpse it's griefing.

If they're camping our corpses and the GY then it's griefing.
    Maybe this is semantics, but if someone is corpse\GY camping you over and over, isn't that at it's very essence griefing ? I mean, aren't they doing it for the purpose to cause you grief ? "I'm not killing you because you're open game, I'm killing you to make you cry like a little baby" Doesn't that mean the intent is to cause you grief ?
    Kind of the same when you have mobs on you. If the other player doesn't feel he can take you, then I'd say waiting for you get get low on health mobs is a cheap win, but not griefing. If they know they can stomp you without mobs, then isn't the intent just to grief you ?

I'm on a PvE server so I don't care what you guys do, But it seems intent could be the deciding factor. Even on my PvE server, in a place like Wintergrasp, you would see two different things normall 1.) The opposite faction give you a few seconds to switch gear if you were doing the fishing dailies to get ready, 2.) Others would just drop in and pound away. We had the same old Druid\Rogue that use to camp out the areas where people would fish and stealth attack\kill people in fishing gear. I would call those griefers, because that was their intent. Those that gave you a few seconds to switch gear or fly away, I would call those real PvPers.

It was a unwritten (and fairly obvious) rule, that once they let you fly away, that if you landed again, you weren't going to get a 2nd chance and I see that has fair play as well. If a PvP server had that same kind of honor system, I think maybe some folks would scream a little less.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2012-07-09 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesftw View Post
    if being randomly killed on a pvp server annoys you, you rolled on wrong server type
    so wats ur opinion on corpse and gy camping at that point its no longer a random killing?

All of it's fine except for the difference in levels. Players who don't provide a challenge because of level discrepency are not worth the 2 seconds it would take to kill them. Players who insist on doing it anyway are an embarassment to themselves.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say the only griefing is corpse/GY camping, and only in world PvP. (in bgs its a legit strategy; TB is a world BG)

I've done all of those, and been called a griefer many times. I've never killed someone so many times that he went to the GY where I proceeded to gank him. Then again I might just be lazy and if they want to corpse rez and get away from me I won't try to find the GY and get them again. I just find new targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    If it's unequal levels it's griefing.

If I'm just trying to quest and this idiot won't leave me alone it's griefing.

If he's camping my corpse it's griefing.

If they're camping our corpses and the GY then it's griefing.
    I believe those cases are griefing. For the unequal levels one, only applies if it's a colossal difference, 10 or more levels or something like that. If the levels are close, then it's tough luck for the one being attacked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    I believe those cases are griefing. For the unequal levels one, only applies if it's a colossal difference, 10 or more levels or something like that. If the levels are close, then it's tough luck for the one being attacked.
    No it doesn't apply to anything. Level 85 can camp level 1 however it pleases him.

Also there was a case on my realm where at the launch of the cataclysm rank 1 hunter got ganked by mage and rogue while leveling through hyal. He managed to kill them twice then they called reinforcements (important thing to say he was rank 1, full Wrathful geared while they had lower ilvl than him) one shaman, he still managed to beat them all 3 and decided that, when they won't let him quest, why would he let them. He corpse ganked them for 2 hours when he got whisper from GM to stop what he was doing and continue with his normal play. He declined and kept ganking, on which he got 3 hours ban.

Later that day when he logged again, he immediately opened a ticket, reporting that GM which banned him. He said that GM got fired and had official apologies on the behalf of Blizzard GM team. Also in the response it was written that "anything involving PVP on PVP server is allowed."

I'll try to find the source of this story.
    Last edited by Demetrion; 2012-07-09 at 03:07 PM.

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As someone that plays on a PvE-RP server, all I can say is that all of those listed are allowed on a PvP server. If you are on the wrong end of things, well, that's life, and that is the server you rolled. Don't like it, change servers.

With that said, however, the corpse/GY camping scenarios, while allowed, by definition is griefing and is pathetic. Corpse/GY camping also does nothing but give PvP players/servers a bad reputation among the non-PvP crowd. "Oh look, here's a cyber bully that can't get it up unless they are tormenting something obviously weaker than them. Let us pause and give them a /golfclap"

But then, we still get similar shit even on a PvE-RP server. Some bored Arena team rolls into some lowbie zone and wipes out all of the quest/vendor NPC's, trying to show how bad ass of a PvP-er they are... on a PvE-RP server... That is griefing, and I rolled on a god damn PvE-RP server to not have to deal with some douche bag inconveniencing my play time, so now what do you have to say? How much more of a carebear server can I choose than a PvE-RP server?

Wouldn't the definition of griefing be to make make someone feel grief? And what other purpose is there of killing someone repeatedly other than to grief that person?

Therefore deliberately and repeatedly killing someone of any level under any circumstance is griefing.

Griefing however is a part of playing on a pvp server. Deal with it.

Having said that, people who camp lowbies are douchebags.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    But then, we still get similar shit even on a PvE-RP server. Some bored Arena team rolls into some lowbie zone and wipes out all of the quest/vendor NPC's, trying to show how bad ass of a PvP-er they are... on a PvE-RP server... That is griefing, and I rolled on a god damn PvE-RP server to not have to deal with some douche bag inconveniencing my play time, so now what do you have to say? How much more of a carebear server can I choose than a PvE-RP server?
    Do they stay in character when they are doing it ? Is it griefing if they do it RP style ? If they says "LOL..sux it" I would be really mad. If they say "We have slayeth thou champions wretched Humans and we shall smite thee if thou choseth" Then that's completely OK.

** obviously I have no idea how people talk on RP servers

Attacking someone on a pvp server is never griefing.

If you feel griefed you picked the wrong server type.

Deleted
    Nope, its not griefing.

Killing another player or mob extensively is just being a major A-hole.
    Killing lower level players? Thats just pointless and pathetic

edit: No matter what kind of server, if your pvp taged then live with it. If u wanna be left alone while leveling then gop on a normal server and dont turn pvp on
    Last edited by mmoc6a5006fb71; 2012-07-09 at 03:21 PM.

Attacking someone on a pvp server is never griefing. Seriously if you're on a pvp server you should expect to die sometimes.