Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    hmm I see the goblin, gnome, and mole comparison but Draenei?

Everyquest is about the only game that's going to offer a ton of unique races, so unless you're playing that... then wouldn't you dislike all MMO's? I mean this game, seems to have a few more unique takes on racial types over most MMO's.

I can see how some may not be crazy about the races. GW2's selection is still better than others though (looking at you, Rift). I'd have to say that DAoC had the most interesting race selection imo. Even their "human" races differed from each other in looks and lore.

Trolls, trolls everywhere. GW2 races are awesome and a billion times better than in other mmo's.

Deleted
    OP, how do the Sylvari not look unique?! I think you succeeded with the amount of response in this thread.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    But really they are pretty Gnome like with the whole masters of technology, on the other hand they differentiate with being arrogant and (over-)confident which isn't usually a gnome characteristic, gnomes are usually absentminded geniuses (talking D&D here now WoW).
    I'll say it again for those who did not see... They are goblin molemen. Goblins are inventive and reclusive in all lore and fit this comparison really well. The only part that doesn't fit is the intelligence which they get from the giant space brains from futurama. Makes sense right? So... just to recap:
    Goblin molemen from space.

SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll still refer to them as long eared gnomes just to piss off Miff
    Fire the MEGALASER!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by saeren View Post
    Male Sylvari are going to the Male Blood Elves of GW2
    In fairness, Blizzard shot themselves in the foot when it came to blood elves. They presented them exceptionally well in the RTS as a very fearsome, cunning, aggressive and bitter race...and then decided to completely retcon their appearance and personality to fit the 'camp' stereotype. I'm going to assume that the Sylvari will not be subject to the same treatment and thus there will be a lot less frustration surrounding the race itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I want to play a single cell organism. Where is my race, ANET? Where?
    YES! finally some else beside me.

Deleted
    Yeah I don't agree with that at all - the whole part of them being intelligent doesn't really fit.

I think I read somewhere that they were partly inspired by troglodytes.

But overall they are really their own thing, with prominent traits from known fantasy-beings, I'll still refer to them as long eared gnomes just to piss off Miff

Btw. speaking of molemen, GW has those already they are called Dredge.

@OP, I don't really know what your intention was with this thread, seemed mostly like a rant to me (although not with a negative vibe).
    Not sure if trolling...
    Dredge are volemen. Badgermen at best. Skritt are ratmen.

Asura are Mighty Organisms with Little Equanimity for Stupidity. M.O.L.E.S. in short.
    Don't try to argue mister, I'll spend hours building my case of demented facts and deranged claims! I think I can even get Mif to agree with me here.

Deleted
    Seriously?

You are accusing me of trolling, Dredge ARE molemen, they were in GW1 as well I assume you didn't play that then.

Also..
    In terms of trolling, I was refering to this:
    Yeah I don't agree with that at all - the whole part of them being intelligent doesn't really fit.
    I think I read somewhere that they were partly inspired by troglodytes.
    Asura are supposed to be of far higher intelligence than the other races so I'm sure you can see my point here.

And I'm playing GW1 right now. I know Dredge are molemen, I just like being silly which accounts for the second part of the post

10+ Year Old Account
    So many technicalities o.0
    This is why it's easier to be an Asura. If it's not an Asura, it's just a bookah, easy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    So many technicalities o.0
    This is why it's easier to be an Asura. If it's not an Asura, it's just a bookah, easy.
    Agreed.

Floating hammocks, Tyrias greatest cookies, superior acrobatic skills (ala dodge) together with the awesome dance.

Just face it bookahs, you're simply...just...bookahs.

Charr are a distinctly different take on RPG's stereotypical "cat people" race. At least they aren't Nekos or pure anthro cats.
    Sylvari are a distinctly different take on RPG's stereotypical wood elves. At least they don't look like Star Trek rejects.
    Asura are a distinctly different take on RPG's stereotypical gnomes. At least they look like, erm, the lovechild of Gremlins and Furbies which I'm sure appeals to some people out there.

Point is Anet took some RPG archetypes that are fairly familiar and spiced them up enough that they feel new to players; not to mention the INSANE customization and rich lore to fit each of them. I had the same problem with Rift as you, OP, finding the human or funky pointy eared human thing incredibly boring. It's the same reason I couldn't get into SWTOR. The three races mentioned above keep me from having the same issue with GW2.

Deleted
    Well try to be more clear about what you are replying to then

And I didn't say Asura weren't inteligent I was saying the race you suggested Asura was weren't

So misunderstandings galore
    That was exactly the point i was making
    Goblins - not so intelligent
    Asura - Intelligent

Hence the SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE! brains.

I would love to play a blue skinned, tentacled, horned alien race with most of the rest of the features being fairly humanoid or human-like, but gee, can you think of many games that have a race like that? Hell, I can only think of one.

Most games tend to create very humanoid races. Games like WoW and EQ/2 happen to be rare exceptions and one of them also happens to be very popular, but nearly every other MMO out there has, to put it simply, only slight human variants for races.

Hmm I never thought of Asura as moles... more naked mole rats. D:
    Nonetheless I'm looking forward to their character editor tonight!

I also still love Charr (especially the less bulky females) because well... fluffy tails! <3

Sylvari will always be elfish to me. Not the Tolkien/WoW kind of elves, but the Wirewood Elves of Dominaria (MtG).
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ara View Post
    Hey at least it's not this bad
    lmao, i can't believe how lazy that actually is

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've realised something over the course of following this thread from the shadows.

The Asura are Tyria's Elves.

Long ears.
    Big eyes.
    Occationally powerful magics.
    Technology that shows powerful minds.
    Arrogance.
    Lived secluded from the other races for ages.
    They also live longer than the standard human, if not "immortal".

Only thing they don't have is that the steriotypical elf is taller than the standard human.

Now I'll run and hide before the mega cannon kills me.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Now I'll run and hide before the mega cannon kills me.
    We can run too... >:D