Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    I still feel that the more realistic models give a better feel to the races. Nothing in WoW scares me.

But Asura scare the living christ out of me.
    Working as intended, bookah.

I know it's probably been said before, but at least it's not SWTOR... at least there are different skeletons and models.

U mad, bookah?

Not impressed with races? Well...the asura don't find that very impressive at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    See i understand your point but what your forgetting is that asura is completely nothing like gnomes except for their 3 feet tall...sylvari are NOTHING like elves except that close minded people say nelf=nature sylvari=nature nelf=sylvari...norn yea okay giant humans he i can see your point...and charr are unique too...nothing like worgen at all...but i can understand if you think that but to me it sounds like 1) as another person said yoiu haven't played with the character customization yet. 2) You have only recently heard about the game. The reason i bring up this point is simply because arguement is rather late into its development and also they were making sylvari a elven race but because of similar feelings to people like you they suggested a complete rework which is why now they are not night elves at all. They are more akin to tree ents.

All in all its subjective. At the start i was like OMG charr warrior hells to the yes. But after playing them just like worgen in WoW I hate their movement animations n shit feel sluggish so now I dont want to play em. But again its just my opinion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by painweaver View Post
    A wide selection of epic and unique looking races is probably the most crucial aspect of the game.
    Even for you they got some of it right.
    Silvari, Charr and Asura are very unique.
    Humans and Norn are quite distinct from each other.

Just admit you're annoyed there are no playable elves or dwarves.
    I'll personally miss the awesome orcs and sexy draenei, but I can live without it.

For those players that get attached to any of the GW2 unique races, they'll be annoyed like you when a new game comes out without them.
    Why did you create a new thread? Use the search function and post in existing threads!
    Why did you necro a thread?

I missed the part where the OP said WHY he doesn't like the races. "I don't want to play them" isn't very informative. Too ugly? Too tame? Too scary?

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I missed the part where the OP said WHY he doesn't like the races. "I don't want to play them" isn't very informative. Too ugly? Too tame? Too scary?
    Because they're too like other things he already knows, I guess. Somehow Charr are like humans, Sylvari like elves, etc. I don't know, sounds like someone just trying to provoke others knowingly. Worked!

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I don't know, sounds like someone just trying to provoke others knowingly. Worked!
    I like how this "hate thread" shows that the huge majority of people really likes the design. Some people even got the chance to see some cool race-pics they haven't seen before. Seems like this thread doesn't work as intended

Quote Originally Posted by painweaver View Post
    I am really impressed with everything else I'm seeing about this game, but I know if I am not interested with my character, I won't keep playing. Why don't the new mmo devs get this?

So you expect the devs to give you a call and find out what you like? Come on, be realistic. Many people like them, I'm sure some people don't. But to say that the devs don't "get it" because YOU don't like them is completely preposterous.
    Humans are the only species on the planet smart enough to be this stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
    I think GW2 would be a lot cooler if Hyleks were a playable race off the bat. Krait and Kodan could be added later.

I mean, who didn't like the Frogloks from EQ? Right guys?
    ...guys?
    /crickets
    fuck frogloks. awesome name too, btw- that was the name of my first mmo toon.

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 05:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Because they're too like other things he already knows, I guess. Somehow Charr are like humans, Sylvari like elves, etc. I don't know, sounds like someone just trying to provoke others knowingly. Worked!
    Post 51, page 3 is where I explain this. Read the thread and you won't sound so dumb. And muchtoohigh was completely off with his assumptions.

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 05:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    I like how this "hate thread" shows that the huge majority of people really likes the design. Some people even got the chance to see some cool race-pics they haven't seen before. Seems like this thread doesn't work as intended
    First off, it's not a "hate thread", it never was, and there was actually some good discussion earlier, you just missed it. And you obviously don't have the attention span, or can't read a thread that you come in late on. Get it out of you mind that every thread where someone expresses an opinion, a concern, or an objection to something is a "hate thread".

Quote Originally Posted by Karazee View Post
    So you expect the devs to give you a call and find out what you like? Come on, be realistic. Many people like them, I'm sure some people don't. But to say that the devs don't "get it" because YOU don't like them is completely preposterous.
    You are saying things that I never said, again you should probably read the first few pages of the thread before saying things that make you sound dumb. I MADE IT CLEAR that I HAD A SUBJECTIVE OPTION and I wasn't very happy with the races because I prefer to play uglier/visually unappealing characters. AND having a range of races to suit a full spectrum of different people, personalities, etc. is important in any mmo, i.e., not just your typical human/elf variants.
    Last edited by painweaver; 2012-07-19 at 05:33 AM.

This is the first MMO other then UO that I have liked all the races it offers...yes UO only had humans for the longest time then the Elf lol. I hated all the races in Rift and only really liked the Tauren in WoW but hated the Horde so I was forced to play a Night Elf lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellash View Post
    Even for you they got some of it right.
    Silvari, Charr and Asura are very unique.
    Humans and Norn are quite distinct from each other.

Just admit you're annoyed there are no playable elves or dwarves.
    I'll personally miss the awesome orcs and sexy draenei, but I can live without it.
    See page 3, and it's obvious from your response that you didn't even read my entire op, or the thread.

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 05:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zeelic View Post
    This is the first MMO other then UO that I have liked all the races it offers...yes UO only had humans for the longest time then the Elf lol. I hated all the races in Rift and only really liked the Tauren in WoW but hated the Horde so I was forced to play a Night Elf lol.
    Rift races were terrible, and that's why I couldn't keep playing the game that I so badly wanted to like because they got a lot of other things right. I'm afraid that I will feel the same about gw2 as I did with Rift because I prefer more "uglier" and unique characters.

---------- Post added 2012-07-19 at 05:35 AM ----------

I'm not even going to bother looking at the past few pages of this thread because I can only imagine what people who didn't take the time to read the thread have interpreted what I said (and didn't say).

Aye they were really bad in Rift. I do understand were you are coming from, tho I like the races of GW2. I am in the same boat as you if I do not like any of the races of a game I wont play it very long if at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Charr, Asura, and to a lesser extent Sylvari can all be ugly and are unique in of themselves. You can make the Norn pretty ugly as well, but they aren't as unique. Humans are obviously the most generic aesthetically and can't be made as ugly.

The character creator really makes all the difference, it's much more robust than WoW or Rift by far, and if you want to have an ugly character you can do it with any of the 5 races to varying degrees.

If you still can't be satisfied after creating a character to your likings, then I guess you are impossible to please.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

There is a difference of making a race ugly and having a race being truly loathsome or in it's very nature evil. Guild Wars 2 really only has the Charr that fit that role. He might not like giant cat people. The Charr for one will most likely be the last I make for the reason of being a giant cat, It's just not my thing. The OP has all rights to be turned off if the races in Guild Wars 2 do not appeal to him and make him want to play because of it.

I understand what you mean by human variants in games like Rift, SWToR Aion... etc
    This has been one of my biggest argument of why WoW did so well for so long. The variety of the races. At least the original and BC races.

And by this I don't mean originality in the races but the aesthetics of them. They each look vastly different and behave vastly different. Even the genders within the races cast spells or melee in specific styles that you can spot that race from a mile away. They each have a flair to them. A specific behavior. I don't think the variety in races is the main problem. So many wow players are accustomed to these mannerisms our characters had and how they differed from other they don't take into consideration the style of WoW, from its character designs to the world around it is very much a specific cartoonish style. There is nothing wrong with this, the aesthetics of WoW were amazing.
    But the players need to realize not every MMO has this style, while the aesthetics of GW2 are beautiful, the game's style tends to be more realistic. Therefor you wont get the huge changes in race playstyle. But they are vastly different just by not being another human varrient game. Just looking at the sexual dimorphism alone for all of the races, they all match in GW2. I cannot say the same for the races of WoW (*cough* worgen female *cough*)

I'm not saying you're wrong. Hell the game companies need to take into consideration why games like wow did so well, this is one of the big reasons. But try to view this game and most others with an open mind. I have to tell myself the same.

even though I love everything so far about GW2 :]
    Last edited by galaxiah; 2012-07-19 at 05:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeelic View Post
    There is a difference of making a race ugly and having a race being truly loathsome or in it's very nature evil. Guild Wars 2 really only has the Charr that fit that role. He might not like giant cat people. The Charr for one will most likely be the last I make for the reason of being a giant cat, It's just not my thing. The OP has all rights to be turned off if the races in Guild Wars 2 do not appeal to him and make him want to play because of it.
    The OP said "Ugly and Unique" and GW2 supplies both.

Evil? Well that isn't happening, even with the Charr. You really couldn't be evil in any MMO of recent memory except maybe SWTOR or to a lesser extent LotRO with Monster Play.

I thought this entire thing was about aesthetics, since the OP doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable about the races lore.

I'm not saying he has to like it, I'm just saying if he doesn't then tough... his opinion won't change and the game won't change for his opinion, until maybe an expansion introduces a more palatable race for the OP. For the majority of people, the line up is more than acceptable.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-07-19 at 05:58 AM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I love all the races in this game but I have to admit I will miss wow Trolls and Tauren.

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    I love all the races in this game but I have to admit I will miss wow Trolls and Tauren.
    You know what my troll misses? Eyelids. Tauren were cool. But breasts on them were not.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    game looks fun, but i will find it hard getting enjoyment while lacking the stoutish fortitude of the dwarf...