Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think he means having your character actually move a different direction, not just turn and face a different direction. In WoW if you start jumping in a direction you will land in that direction regardless of input. GW2 actually let's you change direction in mid-air, allowing you to land somewhere else entirely.

It does feel odd but I honestly don't find myself jumping aroun like I do in WoW all that much.

I had no problems with the camera other than I couldn't zoom in all the way. The movement felt a little strange to me at first but that was because I was used to wow. The thing is a person shouldn't be able to run as fast while strafing as you could running forward. I guess my biggest complaint about the movement was when you strafe right it is animated differently then when you strafe left. I don't think it is any slower it just feels that way. Overall I am happy with the movement and after a couple of hours of playing it didn't bother me anymore.

Deleted
    Im not sure what you mean by change direction and I didnt really notice it in GW2 but you defo cant change direction in WoW, you can look the other way but you cant go towards the left after jumping straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerio View Post
    Yeah that's probably it. I just know that I could move my character back and forth rapidly while in mid air in GW2, and that was kind of strange.
    but that's what makes complicated jumping puzzles possible, it's like if you couldn't jiggle around while falling into a portal in portal 2, would take forever to make that perfect jump without being able to align yourself in mid air. True it might be a bit exaggerated but gives you more control of your characters movement in my opinion.

Odd, I had no problems with the camera or movement. Feels almost as snappy as WoW, but with a slightly more realistic feel.
    If you didn't go into the options and pull the camera rotation speed slider quite far up, then I can see why you'd complain. You 100% need to do that, and they need to change that before release to make it default.. Once you do that, though, I don't see any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Most definitely! O_o

Though I do think the amount of control we have mid-air might be a bit too much... the movement mid-air in WoW always felt kinda slow, as if actually affected by momentum.
    I'm almost certain WoW has no air control, I think you may be imagining it..

Well I like WoW's camera a lot more, but the camera isn't that bad, nor is the movement. Someone said something about ports from console games having a similar camera issues, well I played a lot of console games so I guess this is why I am use to the camera moves or something. I adjusted the camera and keybinds to where it was as close to WoW and I was fine. Overall once I adjusted the camera and strafing buttons, it was fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    To me it feels... off somehow. The super tight control of WoW I'm not feeling in GW2.
    Was my experience in BWE 3 as well. Feels like your character is floating and the camera is not as responsive as WoW (and yes I tweaked it in Options). Combined with the UI, which is both severely lacking features/customization IMO, the combat/control issues will keep me from buying GW2 (fortunately, Amazon preorders gave access to BWE 3 but can still be cancelled before ship).

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    probably been said before, but there is a slider in the options to increase camera rotation speed, felt just the same as mouse controlls with any other game then

Camera problems I observed, weighted in order of importance:

1. Maximum zoom out distance FAR too short. I was actually falling off cliffs with burning retreat because I could not see far enough behind me to see if I was close to the edge of the cliff or not.
    2. FoV too narrow. Field of view required to pan and rotate camera far more then I would have to with a proper ~100 degree FoV as well as looking a bit weird.
    3. Forced mouse smoothing. Not really a camera problem per se, it's just that when moving camera, mouse is forcibly smoothed. It's utterly idiotic to force this without a toggle-off option in a modern PC game.

i found nothing wrong with the camera or the movement, In fact I liked it, fast and responsive. Seems it all boils down to personal preference NOT that the game is broken.

watch the movement and camera speed in this vid, looks good to me

10+ Year Old Account
    Weird... I haven't had any of those camera issues... And I haven't changed any of the options. Maybe it is different with different computers? /shrug.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Camera problems I observed, weighted in order of importance:

1. Maximum zoom out distance FAR too short.
    I do agree with this, I could do with a bit more of a zoomed out view. I used to play BG's in wow with my camera zoomed out to max so I can see more of whats happening around me. It would be handy in WvW

Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    probably been said before, but there is a slider in the options to increase camera rotation speed, felt just the same as mouse controlls with any other game then
    The rotation speed is not the issue. It's the inertia on the camera. They've gone out of their way to add it, and I really don't know why. It may make YouTube vids look better, but it removes immediacy. At the very least they should have an option to take it out.

And the midair movement is indeed very odd. Not sure it suits the standard keyboard/mouse layout. It's something that suits a joypad thumbstick. It's probably needed for the platforming sections as they are right now. Needs more indication of landing zone as well. If there's a game that could use circular blob shadows right under your toon, it's this one. I think I could accept a design decision over an aesthetic one.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    Different body styles / races react and move differently in GW2. Its one of the little details that really makes me appreciate the attention the have paid to the physics of this game. Its most notable by comparing they way a Norn runs, moves and turns to say a Asura the differences are vast and they are supposed to be. Norn are big lumbering muscled men and so move and behave as they should. By contrast a Asura moves with agility, turns fast and reacts nimbly as it should. In all other games ive played all characters move, run, turn and behave the same. They may have small animations that differentiate them but in the end the differences end there.

I applaud the games sense of movement. The characters feel like they actually have momentum. It takes a moment to get going and a moment to slow down and the animations support this. Its simply something that makes it different. The belief that anything different than WoW is somehow bad or must obviously be a mistake / flaw in game design make my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    I guess I never saw this "camera inertia" people are talking about. I wanted to look behind me, I just whipped around and looked behind me. Didn't see any delay or anything, so I dunno. =/
    Same here, and I don't think I'm being ignorant because camera and movement are usually the first thing that put me off of a game if not done correctly. Dunno why some people seem to be having problems while others don't. I really don't know what to say to the people having problems because I don't know what's wrong in the first place. I never experienced the things people have been talking about. Maybe it's an optimization thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Same here, and I don't think I'm being ignorant because camera and movement are usually the first thing that put me off of a game if not done correctly. Dunno why some people seem to be having problems while others don't. I really don't know what to say to the people having problems because I don't know what's wrong in the first place. I never experienced the things people have been talking about. Maybe it's an optimization thing?
    This times 100. Seriously. The only thing it could be is optimization.

---------- Post added 2012-07-23 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    You still fail to understand what this topic is about. How many times was it explained by now? By 10 different people? And you still can't make the distinction between camera inertia and mouse sensitivity. Stop being ignorant already and think.. or I don't know, maybe you trully have some medical condition and you can't notice it (you're talking about dizziness). If that's the case I apologize.
    Maybe that post was responding to the person I quoted, and not you?

Somebody must've put itching powder in your pants.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Maybe that post was responding to the person I quoted, and not you?

Somebody must've put itching powder in your pants.
    He explained it. Several times. You refuse to listen and instead keep beating on various strawmen. Nothing you've not done before, as several people have noted during the last week alone in various BWE3 threads by the way.

I can see the source of irritation, and it's not itching powder. Must be dog allergies.

Let me re-iterate once again:
    It's smoothed mouse movement on camera movement. Nothing more, nothing else. It's bad in PC games for people with good mouse to eye coordination and tight mouse controls as it causes disorientation in worst case scenario, and irritation because of having to struggle to get the camera to move as we want it to in best case. This particular issue is typically present in console port FPS games due to necessity of camera smoothing for analogue and digital non-pixel-perfect controls and wrecks havoc on pixel-perfect mouse control scheme. To have this control scheme when mouse+keyboard is your primary control scheme without option to turn it off is lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Everything feels solid to me. Of course I fiddled with the camera rotation speed and turned on free camera to get it the way I liked it, but I haven't been fighting with anything control wise or camera wise.. I've been fighting the undead.

I'm not the MMO guy that's turning his character 180 degrees in half a second constantly, because that makes me sick, so if the game is keeping you from turning at a certain speed, I'm not noticing it, and perhaps I'm thankful for it.
    I also experience no problems with the camera. I had to tune it up quite a bit before I liked it, but it's still perfectly fine once you do so. I'm not used to complaining about features that are configured somewhat odd, as long as I can adjust them.

I like what they did. They placed physics in an MMO. Like in WoW you can do a 10060 degree turn in a single jump if you fly your mouse across the desk. I think they just wanted to make it feel more real. I don't think it hinders game play that much after you get used to it.

I have a challenge for you all; stand up and turn around as fast as you can! Then report back with your findings.

I found myself increasing the camera rotation speed slightly myself, after suggestion from this thread, but otherwise I had absolutely no problems with the camera or the movement.

I did notice the acceleration/deceleration of both the camera and the movement, although both seem completely intentional (especially for movement) and work perfectly in my opinion. I guess I can see where others may be put off however, so long as they don't play it off as the game being broken. An option to turn off the "mouse smoothing" for the camera wouldn't be too terrible (although not entirely necessary), but the movement is fine as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    1. Maximum zoom out distance FAR too short. I was actually falling off cliffs with burning retreat because I could not see far enough behind me to see if I was close to the edge of the cliff or not.
    I can agree with this.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2012-07-24 at 09:10 AM.