Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Video on Gw2 Camera and Movement Issues

I've tried to describe my feelings on these issues using text a couple of times on this forum, but it wasn't doing the job. So I decided to make a video about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like your taste in music, but really none of those things are an issue for me, and your character seemed to move fine at 5:50 in the video, I didn't see any issue.

Camera collision doesn't bother me, I usually play with the camera off the ground so it doesn't zoom in when I turn, and I rarely turn the camera extremely quickly like that, I had my camera speed set at about 25-30%. Object collision isn't much worse than in WoW, rather it be over extending towards my character than having objects clutter my screen in all honesty.

Keyboard turning works the same way it does in WoW it looked like, slow and not effective.

I don't know, the issues you point out I have a hard time noticing unless they're picked out for me, but I do hope that you posted this video in the official forums so the devs can look at it and possibly improve your gameplay experience come launch.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

While it definately is an issue, i don't think its something to be bothered about... why? cause big issues always get fixed fast and there is huge chance you wont see these problems when the game is released.
    Also don't compare gw2 to WoW in any way. While they are both MMO's they really dont have much in common...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexiefy View Post
    While it definately is an issue, i don't think its something to be bothered about... why? cause big issues always get fixed fast and there is huge chance you wont see these problems when the game is released.
    Also don't compare gw2 to WoW in any way. While they are both MMO's they really dont have much in common...
    It's perfectly decent to compare a new game to a successful game, in my mind. I hardly compared them, anyway. I just stated that what I was showing at the time happens in WoW, as to not get people saying. 'Yeah, but that happens in WoW!' It seems the opposite happened. ^^

I'll admit I'm a GW2 fanboy, but the mouse look/camera really is pretty bad. It should be compared to WoW, because as many things as WoW does poorly, at least one thing it did right was having near perfect, snappy mouselook/movement. Yes, the mouse look is something you would probably get used to, but that doesn't make it acceptable and the game would feel even more polished and awesome if it was fixed/changed.

Back to your regularly scheduled posts about how GW2 can do no wrong and that there's nothing wrong the with awful mouse look/camera mechanics.

Deleted
    Well we have some pvp videos on youtube already , so we can immagine how camera strafe is in pvp

If u already made a thread in the officials forums about it , u message shall be heard
    If they dont implant it , their game , their rulles , their failure

But making 3 threads on a heavy WoW fanbase site wont help (well exept if u have different aim)
    Do u thing every PS3 game must copy everything from God of war (movement-camera-animation) , cause its the most succeful ?

Edit: i cant still see the problems and i played a high mobility class like the druid for 5 years .
    Last edited by mmocd9c65c8d53; 2012-07-24 at 09:53 AM.

Deleted
    While i agree that these issues are present most of them are really minor and happen to a greater or lesser extent with all games with similar camera views. One thing i cant ignore though is that the 'pivot' point for the camera does not appear to be fixed on your character ( Your video showed it quite well when looking down above your character ). I think this is what is amplifying the rest of the issues you brought up. Hopefully its just a 'beta' thing and will be tweaked but its been like that since the closed betas.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fail to see the issues in GW2 movement. However, I really REALLY dislike the camera in GW2. Not being able to go into FP or zoom out a far distance is a HUGE issue that needs to see a change. Honestly, all I got from the video was "GW2 movement isn't like WoW's"...cry me a river.

I watched that whole thing and I'm still not even sure how that is an issue in anyway at all. Maybe try not getting so hyped up over it and you won't notice it? If not don't play it.

I think it's just the toons turning animation, because you know it takes time to turn. I think they wanted to try and make it look real, like if you try running as fast as you can then do a right angle turn you would fall over.

Sareth shows you how to control your mouse when you play GW2.
    Sorry for my bad English, I'm from North Pole.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonsera View Post
    [video=youtube;7F0LNWrajDQ]]
    No, not really.

I think what you describe as jittering or "air resistance" is that there is a lag between character rotation and camera rotation (though only very slightly).

Deleted
    ArenaNat already stated that when you move, you are always at full speed, even when strafing. You do not gain speed over time. You only "see" the issue because of the transitions between animations. Blending animations is really hard with quick movements, especially if you want something that look nice.

If you replaced your character with a big dot, you wouldn't have noticed.

For the jittering character, same problem, thay wanted to make it more realistic, so the character keep staring at the old position for a while, before moving his body in the new direction. It doesn't "feel" right, but the character still move at the same speed, in the right direction.

The only big problem is camera collision and the constant zoom-in/zoom-out. With the sPvP maps full of walls, trees, corridors, it's one big mess. But I don't see how they can overcome this issue.
    As you said, it's even in WoW. But since battlegrounds are empty and we have our camera higher than any objects on the ground, we do not have this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsera View Post
    SNIP
    If GW2 really wants to have competitive PvP, then some of the issues noted should be properly adressed.

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    go play the guild wars franchise then try to complain about GW2 movement.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The movement is a non issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Agreed, it's all animation and camera playing with your eyes. I do think the camera can be improved, but it's not game breaking for the majority of us, not by a long shot.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    Agreed, it's all animation and camera playing with your eyes. I do think the camera can be improved, but it's not game breaking for the majority of us, not by a long shot.
    So to sum up what you guys are saying...
    "people will bitch about anything".

The only legitimate issue with controls at the moment are the wonky camera, which I hardly notice anymore. It was like that in GW1. For the first few days I played the game, it was terrible. Now, I don't realize it.

The animation of movement takes a lil while to play through...however, that does not mean that there is any delay ur actual direction change. You move instantly in the right direction. I tested it a lot myself too.
    There is not an issue.

The zoom could be a lil bit further though, granted...and I would like to see very close objects bring the camera further away rather than at ur feet......but as for the actual movement.....it's not an issue.