Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Paid DLC a possibility

http://kotaku.com/5928822/one-of-the...ions-right-now

The Q&A with one of the devs revealed a nasty little bit of information. Someone asked if there would be paid DLC, the dev responded by dodging the question saying that all of the updates that the "live team" is working on will be free. As in, there's another team apparently working on paid DLC.

So now we have:

1. Cash shop
    2. Paid DLC
    3. Paid expansions

Seems like BS to me. It's like they're taking the F2P model and tacking on a $60 fee to a box on top of it. Pretty sure a subscription model would have been cheaper in the long run for users. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

EDIT: To everyone nerd raging saying it's a conspiracy theory or that I have no reading comprehension, perhaps you can use some context. There were numerous reports of paid DLC being part of the game over the past year or so. This statement just somewhat solidified it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/10/21/gu...otransactions/
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/661...e-guild-wars-2
    http://n4g.com/news/757238/guild-war...ontent-for-dlc
    http://www.strategyinformer.com/news...ild-wars-2-dlc
    Last edited by glo; 2012-07-26 at 04:20 AM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

They did this with GW1 already. It's fine.

Nor does it imply anything either way honestly. You read far too much into it. You're like a conspiracy theorist with the leaps you make to come to this conclusion.

I'm curious how you jumped to this conclusion. They never said anything about paying for content (outside of expansions) or having a team of people making content for sale.

Explain please.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if that's what he meant but expansions i will pay for, not dlc though. I already dislike a few things they're doing with the Cash shop (extra character slots)

Deleted
    Any paid dlc will just be additional campaigns. Aside from Crystal Desert (which technically goes with Elona better) and Ring of Fire (which I don't mind, the place gives me nightmares) most of Tyria is covered. In GW1, the three campaigns were completely separate anyway and I imagine it will be the same.

Cash shop - meh, not too keen on it but I acknowledge they have stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    dodging the question saying that all of the updates that the "live team" is working on will be free. As in, there's another team apparently working on paid DLC.
    He didn't dodge. You simply misunderstand. He said live team, simply as opposed to the current beta/pre-release team. Many of the answer reference 'live team.'

Assuming that there will be DLC from that statement is a bit of a stretch. The live team is the team that is working on the updates for the "live" client i.e. the current one. There are other teams that work on expansion content, but since those are sold separately they aren't part of the live team. I mean, he doesn't flat out state no, but he didn't give any significant information that there will be either.

Seems like a pretty big jump to me.

Way too much over interpretation.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    We are getting a MASSIVE amount of content at launch. This isn't wow where we buy an xpack and then get raids through patches every 4/6 months. Anything put out after launch is something we haven't paid for. Almost think of new content like expansions.

I highly doubt *atleast I hope* that we won't be paying extra to get simple things like duels/guild vs guild

10+ Year Old Account
    The cash shop will never have content in it besides things for vanity or convenience.

You're not going to be locked out of a zone or a dungeon and be told "You have to buy access to this from the cash shop" ever. Their entire core philosophy with this entire game is that you should never have to pay extra to fully experience and enjoy the game. It's a big reason as to why they don't have a subscription - you already bought the game, why should you have to pay extra for access?

As others have said the "live" team is simply the team of developers they will have working on updating and maintaining the current live release of the game - adding more DEs to each and every zone, fixing any bugs that pop up, keeping an eye on the game balance, etc etc. I imagine a large portion of the developers currently working on the game will be moved to working on the game's future expansions.

I guess you could call expansions "DLC" if you want, but every MMORPG has expansions. Even the Sims have expansions. I doubt anybody hates on expansions.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Anet has been driving home the fact that there will be a "live team" working on adding events to the game taking other events out and doing content updates. Another team will be working on the next expansion. And all expansions are paid DLC. So lets no act like we havent bought an expansion b4 and that paid dlc's are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Anet has been driving home the fact that there will be a "live team" working on adding events to the game taking other events out and doing content updates. Another team will be working on the next expansion. And all expansions are paid DLC. So lets no act like we havent bought an expansion b4 and that paid dlc's are evil.
    DLC generally refers to things smaller than expansions, even if expansions technically are also DLC.

Adding a mission or dungeon -> DLC
    Adding ten zones -> Expansion

10+ Year Old Account
    ...... vs. the dead team?

Sillyness!
    Valar morghulis

Paying for DLC is their expansions... he probably was talking about expansions and it will be in the form of digital download.

Anet said that they really like the DE system. This means that there is a possibility they are removing PvP, dungeons, and hearts. This means all you will have to do in the game is DEs.
    Seems like BS to me. It's like they're taking the DE design and tacking on a few features they plan to take out later.

On a more serious note, this statement doesn't really reveal anything on the topic. Even if it did, why would it matter significantly? It was done elegantly in GW1 and very few people complained.

Deleted
    So now we have:

1. Cash shop
    Symurallix 7 hours ago
    Will items purchased with real-world cash be essential to success in GW2? Or will they just be for convenience / appearance, as in the original game? >>

<< Mike Zadorojny 7 hours ago
    Items from the gem story will NOT be essential to success for players in GW2. We don't want to force players to buy items. The items we plan on putting in there are convenience/appearance options.>>

Deleted
    Buy to play, not free to play. GW expansions were also good value. I don't understand why you are complaining. Oh also it is not like it is day one DLC either.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plzbegentle View Post
    Symurallix 7 hours ago
    Will items purchased with real-world cash be essential to success in GW2? Or will they just be for convenience / appearance, as in the original game? >>

<< Mike Zadorojny 7 hours ago
    Items from the gem story will NOT be essential to success for players in GW2. We don't want to force players to buy items. The items we plan on putting in there are convenience/appearance options.>>
    But it contains things like extra character slots, which most people will have to buy because the amount of slots at the moment isn't really acceptable (also correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not 100% sure but you can only have characters on one server can't you?)
    Last edited by Solidito; 2012-07-26 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    But it contains things like extra character slots, which most people will have to buy because the amount of slots at the moment isn't really acceptable (also correct me if i'm wrong as i'm not 100% correct but you can only have characters on one server can't you?)
    If you're enjoying the game enough to play more than 5 characters to 80 at hundreds of hours per character, you're enjoying the game enough to spend an extra 10$. You don't 'have' to buy it. They gave you enough slots to have one of each race, if you want one of each profession on top of that you're enjoying the game enough that you should be willing to put forward a small portion of that 15$ per month fee you usually pay for other MMOs. Except not per month, because 3 character slots would cost the same as 2months of most P2P MMOs.

Deleted
    Seems like BS to me. It's like they're taking the F2P model and tacking on a $60 fee to a box on top of it. Pretty sure a subscription model would have been cheaper in the long run for users. Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Even if it was more expensive, the key difference is optional content vs. pay or stop playing. Or, at least Anet have stressed out that expansions will have nothing to force you to buy them, so I'd assume the DLC would follow the same rule.

On that note, I never understood the hate DLC gets. (Well, there are a lot of examples of bad DLC, but personally I don't even mind the idea of day one DLC. Free market, people can ask whatever they want for their product. But this isn't on topic I guess.)