Thread: Halp!

Halp!

So, been thinking a while of getting a new graphics card. My current one is absolutely worthless (nvidia geforce gt 220... yeah I know. ), so here I am asking for you guys to recommend something!

Fairly new to comp building and tbh never built one before. I'm not sure what specs exactly to post here and how to find them.. so answer with what you need to know!

The card would be mainly for gaming purposes. No hard budget, but I'm not really lookin for a killer machine. Playing mainly LoL and SWTOR atm, back to WoW when MoP launches so the card should be able to run those without problems at high/ultra level. Currently I have to use the low/medium setting for the mmo's at least to get a sensible FPS.

Cheers in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's always helpful to post the specs of your computer;

CPU
    Motherboard
    Ram
    Power Supply

And price range for what you're looking to spend on a new video card!
    "The Maw's thirst is unquenchable. If it is not fed fresh victims, it will not hesitate to drink from its wielder instead."

CPU : AMD phenom II x3 710 (3 CPUs) ~2.6 ghz
    RAM: 8190 mb
    Dunno how to check my mobo, and dunno what to say about the psu since it has a lot of numbers on and a lot of chinese text!

And like I said, no real hard budget on it but not looking for a killer machine.

10+ Year Old Account
    You definitely need a budget.

$800? $1500? $6000?

A maximum price will let people determine what to get.

Hmm. It's really hard to say when I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding the usual price ranges. 200-300? I just don't want any super hc new shit, just something that can run games like I specified fairly easily which shouldn't even be that hard tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    a $450 build is pretty much going to be the lowest you can get and make it an upgrade. You can also get a very respectable machine for 800.

Wow, really? Does that include the possible psu upgrade? Didn't think in my wildest dreams it'd be that much!

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats for a brand new computer, excluding monitor, OS, keyboard, mouse, perihperals.. which you already have.

I'm a bit confused. You say you want a new video card, but then you say you're new to computer building, and that you dont want a 'killer machine'

Do you want a new video card, or a new computer?

A new video card. lol.

That's building as well! What I meant with that is I've only bought ready package machines before. Haven't assembled any comps or even replaced parts etc myself! Sorry if it was unclear.

Deleted
    Look for something not less than 264 bit 2GB DDR5 bro if you want strong VGA for year or even 2
    Also you can open the computer box and read your mobo name and VGA socket
    Last edited by mmoc2b5ad7a33a; 2012-07-26 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxio View Post
    Look for something over 264 bit 2GB DDR5 bro
    Sadly that doesn't say anything to me!

I actually have the case open right now, where can i find that stuff?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, well, if it's just a video card, budget still helps. But an nvidia 460 would be good for around $100, and for around $210 a 560ti (not a 560 or 560se) is also good. 7770 is good for $130. $180 for 6870.

Besides that, I wouldnt go any higher without spending a lot of money without huge performance gains, unless you are willing to spend $350-400

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 01:14 PM ----------

Look for something not less than 264 bit 2GB DDR5 bro if you want strong VGA for year or even 2
    What he meant was don't get a card less that 256 bit memory interface (Not 264bit. Hooray for misinformation) that uses at least 2gb GDDR5 ram. However that will hit up around $180 or more, and not entirely necessary for an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Oh, well, if it's just a video card, budget still helps. But an nvidia 460 would be good for around $100, and for around $210 a 560ti (not a 560 or 560se) is also good. 7770 is good for $130. $180 for 6870.

Besides that, I wouldnt go any higher without spending a lot of money without huge performance gains, unless you are willing to spend $350-400

---------- Post added 2012-07-26 at 01:14 PM ----------

What he meant was don't get a card less that 256 bit memory interface (Not 264bit. Hooray for misinformation) that uses at least 2gb GDDR5 ram. However that will hit up around $180 or more, and not entirely necessary for an upgrade.
    Hmm alright. The 560 ti is looking quite good. I'll look those other ones over, prolly ask a buddy as well. Cheers mate