View Poll Results: will you be getting googles 1gb inernet when they release it?

Voters
269. This poll is closed
  • Yes, 1gb will give me crazy fast downloads

213 79.18%
  • No, it will be full of problems and isnt worth the price

56 20.82%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's pretty hard to notice the difference between 100mpbs and 1gbps because most sites don't support anywhere near that speed.
    lol just for normal browsing ...never you will notice the difference.

ZOMG their price plan for gigabit + TV is amazing....we offer optic fiber here with bell canada and its nowhere that good GASP
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2012-08-02 at 01:49 AM.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/08/23/google-fiber/

Interesting read about Google fiber.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/08/23/google-fiber/

Interesting read about Google fiber.
    I like the last bit about how this will get other ISPs in the US to get their acts together. We are a super power in the world, yet only top 15 for internet speeds? And our average is much slower than other nations and we pay more. I know my parents are paying $90 a month for a connection that is up to maybe on a good day, 250kb/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    I like the last bit about how this will get other ISPs in the US to get their acts together. We are a super power in the world, yet only top 15 for internet speeds? And our average is much slower than other nations and we pay more. I know my parents are paying $90 a month for a connection that is up to maybe on a good day, 250kb/s.
    To be honest overall this sounds more like what the business plan would be. They kick spart the programme and it costs them around $500 mil a city, other companies see how popular it is decide they need to offer the same service et voila. Before ya know it ISPs are rolling out faster networks across the nation to keep up and google starts making more money.

I pay 75 a month with my ISP and it's no where near 1 GB so ill be going with googlefiber once my contract is up with my ISP for sure :# plus I just love google.

Deleted
    Im with AOL. You know what their download speed is? 8Mb. Eight. That's right. Eight. I'm jelly of you Virgin Media guys, but my parents wont pay the cash even when my brother and I offer to lend some of our student loan to them.
    On Virgin, a movie, apparently, takes 5 mins to download. On my current one, about 6 hours. -.-.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-23 at 11:44 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I wish I was going to contiune living in KC, but unfortunately my job has moved me south to an area where the only internet options are slim to none, and crap all around. If I was staying in KC, my plan was to cancel my tv service which I rarely used for anything except watching the Chiefs play away games, my crappy Surewest net and say hello to 1gps net for cheaper than what I was paying for my cable and net through Surewest.

Deleted
    Hey, I just checked - with Virgin, in my area, I could get up to speeds of 30Mb/s! Not bad, and they say unlike other companies they allow every customer to have the best possible connection, not just putting throttles on them. Then again, it'll probably just be the same old 10mb/s that I have with AOL :/.

I live in Newcastle, so really, even if google did come here with their fancy shit I would still probably only get 10mb/s, lol. It seems the big companies focus on the south, then work their way up once they have completed cable down there.
    Last edited by mmoc60eb5b4994; 2012-08-24 at 12:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to have it, too bad most of the people on my block probably don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

I dont actually have a card capable of it, but it sounds interest. Its 10 times faster then anything I can get where i live, its interesting, there showing it can be done, lets hope others follow suit (in my country the most popular company for broadband has a max down load speed of 25mb/s and its cost more then this lol)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    I dont actually have a card capable of it, but it sounds interest. Its 10 times faster then anything I can get where i live, its interesting, there showing it can be done, lets hope others follow suit (in my country the most popular company for broadband has a max down load speed of 25mb/s and its cost more then this lol)
    Most computers nowadays come with 10/100/1000mbps Ethernet ports, 1000 = 1Gbps. Surely your computer isn't THAT old?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    $70 is a bit steep for me, altough I hope that other ISP's follow Google's steps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    $70 is a bit steep for me, altough I hope that other ISP's follow Google's steps.
    Well, here in America, $70 for Gbps is AMAZING. My dad is paying for internet, tv, and phone from Comcast, with 24down/4up internet at over $200 a month. -.-
    "A flower.

I get 50 down and 15 up for free! Working for an ISP ftw :P

Deleted
    Don't do it! It's just another way for google to control ya ass, they are attempting to take full control over the internet.
    They are the dark side, without cookies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yau View Post
    How about 1000 down and 1000 up?

Even you know you guys provide horrible internet in the US.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Google pulls this off (that it actually works like they say) and expands the areas, they are going to make such a ridiculous amount of money...
    YAY CAPITALISM
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

So it turns out that my internet WASN'T at the fastest my ISP offered. I got it upgraded. Nerdgasmed hard. Though, I'd still get Google's net if it worked as well as they claim it does and it became available in my area.

Old speed:

New speed:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yau View Post
    So jelly atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it ever came to my town, sure I'd try it out. But I doubt it'll be in Richmond, Ky in the next 60 years.
    Call me House.