Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rigoremortis View Post
    ya, but people file lawsuits because they were maimed or horribly injured, permanently disabled, disfigured, had their lives ruined, etc, a video game company makes games to entertain you, the only real argument u can make for sueing them is "the game ruined my life!" but that wont hold up in court anyway, because its not the games' or the companies fault that you're just a lazy piece of shit that wants to blame a video game for your downfalls in life, lol
    Off the top of my head I guess one might want to sue an online gaming company over bans they feel weren't justified because as far as I know getting banned in one game means you can't play online any other game that uses VAC2. And they could have a case if the ban really wasn't justified.

Or, as I said before, some shady business with refunds if a developer left Steam with all their games that you paid for and Valve wouldn't give you what you expect/deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    im no expert on Valve, but has there ever been a class action suit against them? i wonder why they decided to change their EULA like this, odd wording.
    Probably because Germany's suing the pants off of Blizzard over a botched D3 release. They're covering their asses, and it makes perfect sense.

I wonder if EA will follow suit.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by Ravlon View Post
    I have already read the information posted and even articles not mentioned here. Thank you for your concern.
    BTW: Fix your grammar.
    then why post what you did? are you unfamiliar with how things work here in the US? corporations are the ones paying to get laws enacted, they arent above the law, they ARE the law, lol

those bankers we bailed out with billions of tax dollars they wasted werent "above the law" either, so glad they're all in prison......oh wait, lol

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 04:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Off the top of my head I guess one might want to sue an online gaming company over bans they feel weren't justified because as far as I know getting banned in one game means you can't play online any other game that uses VAC2. And they could have a case if the ban really wasn't justified.

Or, as I said before, some shady business with refunds if a developer left Steam with all their games that you paid for and Valve wouldn't give you what you expect/deserve.
    no, just no. you signed the EULA, which states its their game and they can do what they want, if they ban you, tough shit, its your fault, even without this lawsuit clause that wouldnt hold up in court as A) its already covered in almost every game companies EULA, and B) its a retarded basis for a lawsuit that would get laughed out of court

edit: theres no real reason an individual would sue a gaming company, the only people that would would be like devs or production companies that had a bad business deal or something go awry with payments, etc
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-08-01 at 11:51 AM.

read up on all the changes

they have done it since class action mostly benefits the lawyers and not the consumers, yet on the flip side if you have a legitimate dispute against valve that goes as far as arbitration or small claims court valve will pay all legal costs so long as the claim isn't deemed frivolous or have unreasonable costs not matter if you win or loose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Liara View Post
    Finally, the fact that the US court allowed it doesn't mean too much. The US legal system can overlook or even reverse precedents.
    While I don't study US law AFAIK this is VERY rare, generally only happens in cases of great importance where things changed with time and the precedent doesn't reflect current situation anymore ("separated but equal" doctrine comes to mind). This seems to be the oposite, 20th century was pretty much the "class action suit" century and now they are slowly trying to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0ev0lution View Post
    read up on all the changes

they have done it since class action mostly benefits the lawyers and not the consumers, yet on the flip side if you have a legitimate dispute against valve that goes as far as arbitration or small claims court valve will pay all legal costs so long as the claim isn't deemed frivolous or have unreasonable costs not matter if you win or loose.
    Well this is exactly the clause that says it will never happen. But it does look nice up there for people who have no idea.
    Last edited by mmoc6af618f320; 2012-08-01 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    While I don't study US law AFAIK this is VERY rare, generally only happens in cases of great importance where things changed with time and the precedent doesn't reflect current situation anymore ("separated but equal" doctrine comes to mind). This seems to be the oposite, 20th century was pretty much the "class action suit" century and now they are slowly trying to change that.
    Personally I think that such a clause goes against the entire concept of a legal system, exactly because it limits a person's legal options.
    If someone decides to challenge that ruling, the US Supreme Court could reverse it if the judges are different and hold a different mind set. Or keep it if they think it's legit.
    In any case, it'll require judges with balls to reverse it (just like any precedent).

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Probably because Germany's suing the pants off of Blizzard over a botched D3 release. They're covering their asses, and it makes perfect sense.

I wonder if EA will follow suit.
    But that makes no sense because the EULA wont hold up in an EU court of law.

As people always do, folks are getting up in arms about pretty much nothing. It sounds sinister on paper, news outlets have been spinning it as sinister... but it isn't.

For starters, a TOS/EULA will only be a minor inconvenience at most for any decent lawyer if actual laws were in fact broken in any given situation, or consumer rights taken away somehow. Believe it or not, federal and state law just so happens to override a dinky TOS/EULA. Sure, a company can claim in court that 'hey, they signed this, and therefor they agreed to blah blah blah,' but a court of law doesn't actually care what such a document says if actual laws are broken. So you, the consumer, are still totally safe if Valve actually goes supervillain and does something heinous.

Secondly, class action suits are some of the worst stuff out there. A company has good reason to actively avoid them and try and push all grievances into small claims; class action suits are huge, expensive, VERY TIME CONSUMING, and benefit almost nobody but the lawyers. They are an invention by lawyers, for lawyers. That is why your mail, right now, may very well be filled (or at some point in the past was filled) with offers from lawyers saying that they want to represent you for any number of nonsensical class action suits. It's not out of the goodness of their hearts, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-08-01 at 12:04 PM.

EULA's aren't law, they don't hold up in courts most of the time.

Especially things like this, they'd get laughed out of the court room.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like an exculpatory clause to me, which doesn't hold up in court. Companies add these to their contracts all the time in the hopes that people will read them and think they can't sue.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    EULA's aren't law, they don't hold up in courts most of the time.

Especially things like this, they'd get laughed out of the court room.
    They're contracts, so unless said contracts go against domestic laws and or rights, they'll hold up just fine.

Deleted
    For all the people going "hurr durr why would you sue a games company?"

Remember not so long ago, when the steam forums were hacked?
    Or when the details of millions of PSN customers were stolen?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to take legal action if a company is responsible for improperly safeguarding user details. Unfortunately, Valve has decided you shouldn't be able to do that, because it's not in your best interests.

Happily I live in the UK, where this bullshit wouldn't stand up in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    will this hold up in the EU however?
    No, EULAs and all other kinds of prewritten parts of contracts (like "terms of service" or just a "unable to exchange XY" sign) fall under very, very strict and user-friendly law codifications over here, EU-wide.

Basically, if anything in these prewritten parts is "surprising" or "one sided against the user" or "hidden", the whole pre-written part goes straight out the window, with the actual contract still being intact (aka, you don't have to give your product back to the company in return for your money if they tried to "screw you over" with their EULA/terms of service/no exchange-sign - everything is still the same but you can tell them to shove their EULA etc. somewhere else).
    Last edited by TequilaFlavor; 2012-08-01 at 12:12 PM.

I agree with allowing this.
    I do not think that thousands of customers should band together to make a multi million dollar lawsuit.
    If your claim was legitimate enough to stand on its own two legs.. then let it be and try for it.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    I agree with allowing this.
    I do not think that thousands of customers should band together to make a multi million dollar lawsuit.
    If your claim was legitimate enough to stand on its own two legs.. then let it be and try for it.
    Class action suits are also created when lots of different people have the same issue (whether exactly or similar), in order to conserve time and money.

edit: theres no real reason an individual would sue a gaming company, the only people that would would be like devs or production companies that had a bad business deal or something go awry with payments, etc
    What if they add a backdoor which allows you to run any program?
    Than a hacker puts in malicious code that steals any personal data off your PC?

Now would anyone ever put in a backdoor? Oh!: http://tech2.in.com/news/pc/backdoor...nerable/339802
    Here’s the list of games that are known to be affected:
    Assassin’s Creed II
    Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood
    Assassin’s Creed: Project Legacy
    Assassin’s Creed Revelations
    Assassin’s Creed III
    Beowulf: The Game
    Brothers in Arms: Furious 4
    Call of Juarez: The Cartel
    Driver: San Francisco
    Heroes of Might and Magic VI
    Just Dance 3
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
    Pure Football
    R.U.S.E.
    Shaun White Skateboarding
    Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic
    The Settlers 7: Paths to a Kingdom
    Tom Clancy’s H.A.W.X. 2
    Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
    Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Your Shape: Fitness Evolved

Quote Originally Posted by Ravlon View Post
    They can't simply put themselves above the law.
    This exactly. This is lol funny. I hope this gets tested in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    For all the people going "hurr durr why would you sue a games company?"

Remember not so long ago, when the steam forums were hacked?
    Or when the details of millions of PSN customers were stolen?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to take legal action if a company is responsible for improperly safeguarding user details. Unfortunately, Valve has decided you shouldn't be able to do that, because it's not in your best interests.

Happily I live in the UK, where this bullshit wouldn't stand up in court.
    thanks for the example, the "hurr durr" part isnt needed, as this isnt middle school recess, refrain from the name calling as its childish.

although i dont think this is the reason for adding this to the EULA, since you dont live here in the states, allow me give you some knowledge.....people here sue for just about anything (remember, this is the country where a lady put steaming hot mcdee's coffee between her legs, accidentally squeezed her legs like a moron while driving away, burnt herself, and got 4 million bucks, lol), this is probably more of a safeguard to stupidity than it is to protect themselves in those once a lifetime shitstorms like the PSN incident.
    Last edited by rigoremortis; 2012-08-01 at 12:32 PM.

Deleted
    thanks for the example, the "hurr durr" part isnt needed, as this isnt middle school recess, refrain from the name calling as its childish.
    My apologies, I felt it was necessary to illustrate I was pointing out the painfully fucking obvious. Next time I will just include pictures.

How is this thread title allowed? it is a blatant lie, and he puts "" around something that is not a quote lol.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 07:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    My apologies, I felt it was necessary to illustrate I was pointing out the painfully fucking obvious. Next time I will just include pictures.

I don't think you realize what this writing actually means, and how it is better for the consumer, but I guess getting swept up in the valve hate is fun to!