Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    Actually I proved it in several posts and nobody has ever commented on those. The Apple fans just ignore them.
    I just went through your posts in this thread and saw no proof of the claim that Macs are priced three times higher than equivalent machines from other manufacturers or even comparable DIY machines ("comparable" including form factor, keyboard quality, display quality and such things, not just RAM, CPU and GPU).

Edit: And if you claim that all that matters is RAM, CPU and GPU. That is, cycles/bytes per dollar, then you are clearly ignoring a lot of other factors, either because you have a very narrow and subjective view of what matters when purchasing a computer or because you're deliberately trying to skew the comparison in your favor. To use a car analogy, it would be like a muscle car enthusiast claiming that anyone who buys a car with a low horsepower-to-dollar ratio is stupid, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that this person is biased and unable to look beyond his own use case.
    Last edited by mmocfcbe462c17; 2012-08-02 at 01:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanth View Post
    Worked for both companies. To be fair Apple is quality and the OS is quiet nice. Also Apple works hard to keep customer satisfaction high, Apple is now 12 years in a row the company with the best costumer service.

On the other hand Lenovo... Oh good Lord. The customer service is S***T they dont care for customers neither the quality of the products. The Thinkpads are still the same at they where with IBM. All Lenovo is doing is upgrade the Technology from time to time, but still then they are "old". If your Laptop breaks or arrives broken. Well tought luck, it takes you ages for Lenovo to create the RMA for your Product and even longer for them to pick them up. You wont get you money back for ages and if you ask for a compensation you have to fight for 5% Discount. Welcome to Lenovo

Personally I would get a Mac. But a Mac is not for a "Gamer or casual" Mac are unbeatable for making Music or SFX like After Effects, Photoshop. For college a Dell would even do. You can get a Dell XPS for a better price then any Lenovo for Games.
    Got a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge S430 and am very content, if not impressed twitgh the quality so far. Heard some bad things about the Lenovo customer service, that's true, but heard stories about the Apple service as well (also in this thread), don't have experiences with either one.
    Just wanted to say, a 14'' 1600x900 Notebook with i5 ivy bridge and dedicated (lower-end) graphics for <800€... try and see what macbook you get for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    The people who do not care about byte/cycle per dollar typically will buy something as a status of "wealth" or "fashion." A computer is practical, not sexy. Trying to assume a computer is sexy easily means that you are overpaying for something that you shouldn't be.

All those "professional developers" is not very specific. I think it make more of a statement about how much money you make when you buy a Mac. Especially when you can show it off in public. Showing it off in public is why people buy it. I don't understand the need to "fit in" with people by showing off my status out in public. You don't see individuals with Lenovos or Toshibas showing off their case, even though the hardware is = to a Mac.

I don't think the difference in the metal casings is worth 2x the price. The only excuse I ever see coming from a Mac user as to why they didn't buy a PC is: "it's more user-friendly" or "it's better." Ya know, after the 6th year of using a "user-friendly" machine, I don't think it needs to be user friendly anymore.
    I'm not that much into all the techonology and specs of Macs and PC's but what Klutzington says is simply the reason why MOST people buy them. Almost all of my friends buy iPhones while the Samsung Galaxy with exactly the same specs costs four times less. They don't know anything about the technology behind it, they don't use it for specific things they just facebook and whatsapp with it just like I do with my Samsung Galaxy. Same goes with Macs. They just buy it because it's popular. All those people with Mac Books are not professional developers or designers. They just bought it because it's 'hot' right now.

If you look in this thread there is no one who can actually mention a legit reason why Macs cost twice as much as a windows PC or laptop with the same specs. Support? Apparently not (also not worth that much money). I can just as well buy a cheap windows laptop at a local dealer who build their own PC's/laptops. I think I will get even better support there than at Apple.

So, if you don't care about what's popular to walk around with then you can just as well buy a windows laptop. If you got so much money you don't know what to do with it you can just as well buy a Mac Book. Whatever you want.

Deleted
    Brand, unfortunately. In the latest macbooks you can't even change things like the RAM memory, it's welded in place.

However, I do enjoy the slickness and ease of macbooks. I would never buy one myself, but I I am very much in favor of their simplicity.

Deleted
    That's the power of marketing and hype for you. Macbooks are expensive toys and OSX is a piece of shit. Any modern Linux builds is superior to OSX in stability, security and performance. Even Windows 7 trumps OSX even if only for the fact you don't need to restrict yourself to pre-approved software.

Plus, your PC's needing a little upgrade? Np, spend 30 bucks on a couple new RAM sticks or 70 bucks in a new graphics card. If your Mac needs an upgrade, well, you'll probably end up having to pay for a brand new machine (even if only in value).

Also, being a big "fan" of GNU and knowing why it was created in the first place I can only feel a bit of contempt for anything Apple-related.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    Got a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge S430 and am very content, if not impressed twitgh the quality so far. Heard some bad things about the Lenovo customer service, that's true, but heard stories about the Apple service as well (also in this thread), don't have experiences with either one.
    Just wanted to say, a 14'' 1600x900 Notebook with i5 ivy bridge and dedicated (lower-end) graphics for <800€... try and see what macbook you get for that.
    I just dont understand the "Hippster". I fucking love Apple. Love their products, still i rather have a custom build pc at home, since I'm a gamer. Lenovo is "crap" for Games. The G and Y series they sell as " Gaming" Laptops is useless. Like i said any Dell or Acer would do better and cheaper.
    Sure every company has good and Bad customer service, but in a Ratio from what I have experienced. Lenovo was down the drain.

FYI my mate just bought a Laptop 17.3" with i7-3610QM, 8GiG Ram, 2GIG NVidia GK and Build in bang & olufsen speakers for 850€. That is a decent Laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Packers View Post
    I recently compared a baseline Macbook Pro(1200$) to a Lenovo 340E($600)

The Lenovo weighs .2 more pounds but also has a 1 inch larger screen and a 1 hour longer lasting battery.

The processors are a 2.5GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 for the Macbook Pro and a Intel Core i3-2350M. I compared them on the Intel site here, http://ark.intel.com/compare/53452,53438, and the Macbook Pro processor seems to be only a very slight advantage over the Lenovo one.

Both computers have the same ram.

The hard drive for the Macbook Pro is a 500GB 5400-rpm Hard-drive Vs. Lenovo's hard drive is a 320GB Hard-Drive with a 7200RPM difference. From what I understand, macs is slightly better but it can also be up to personal preference.

I also brought the Macbook Air in the comparison ($999) and it literally gets blow out of the water in every tech spec, making it weigh so little (~2.2 pounds)

I did all this to research the computer to get for college, and when I found this out it kind of surprised me, any opinions?

One Name brand. People are willing to pay for more. Apple has always promoted their product is superior for a number of reasons. The UI is unique and easy to use and "Virus Free, because no one makes viruses for Mac's" if you haven't noticed just isn't true any longer and they've been slowly but surely taking down that claim over the last few months.
    Those are/were just two examples of the claims of superiority. Also despite my dislike for apple, they do make reliable products.

The second is because of the price, it seems more "exclusive" or seems like it's a better quality. Makeup makers like mayballen (sp?) had this problem when they released their products a while ago. They lowered the price of their makeup to make it affordable for people, but because of the price and the fact that some places that are viewed as "cheap" their product sales suffered. They raised the price and it begun flying off the shelves again. Price isn't always about how good a quality is, or how expensive it is to make, or how much profit the company can turn off of individual sales, it's usually about finding the price point in which supply meets demand and where costumers view the price in relation to how "superior" that product is because of it's price over others..

This doesn't work for all markets and I'm sure not everyone thinks this way, but look up some case studies on products and see when it was selling and when it wasn't selling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    And, on a more hostile sidenote that I can't put in a news post. Seriously, who the fuck takes mmowned as a reliable source to the point where news sites will just repost it without any double check? Now I'm sad, or mad, or both. I don't know. >
    Thanks Boub for this epic sig! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post

When my Acer's screen broke, it got sent to Germany for 1 and a half months of repair. I got it back as broken as it was when it left, but I get that could be me just having bad luck. If my macbook breaks, I know apple will simply replace it for me. Someone else will buy this one refurbished later.
    So you pay them twice the amount in advance so if it breaks you get a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    Thats a very nice machine, actually! Looks decent and the price is great as well. How is the screen?

Oh come on, that thing is like 3.2kg and has no dedicated GPU. They can literally fill it with the battery. Thats no comparison at all.
    discussed MBP also doesn't have dedicated GPU. I grabbed that laptop for comparison simply because it is hard to find official statement on battery life, most manufacturers list only battery specs but not actual time because it is dependent on usage scenarios.

However just FYI here is some comparison of different ultrabooks and their battery life is no worse than MBA (even better in some cases)
    http://www.hightech-edge.com/best-th...tebooks/13475/

Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    If you look in this thread there is no one who can actually mention a legit reason why Macs cost twice as much as a windows PC or laptop with the same specs. Support? Apparently not (also not worth that much money). I can just as well buy a cheap windows laptop at a local dealer who build their own PC's/laptops. I think I will get even better support there than at Apple.
    Read more carefully. What we say is that Macs don't cost twice as much as a windows PC or laptop with the same specs. They cost approximately the same
    as their Windows counterparts. There was a bunch of articles posted regarding this. See for example: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2010/02/...traight-scoop/

Deleted
    I just dont understand the "Hippster". I fucking love Apple. Love their products, still i rather have a custom build pc at home, since I'm a gamer. Lenovo is "crap" for Games. The G and Y series they sell as " Gaming" Laptops is useless. Like i said any Dell or Acer would do better and cheaper.
    Sure every company has good and Bad customer service, but in a Ratio from what I have experienced. Lenovo was down the drain.

FYI my mate just bought a Laptop 17.3" with i7-3610QM, 8GiG Ram, 2GIG NVidia GK and Build in bang & olufsen speakers for 850€. That is a decent Laptop.
    What can OSX do that Windows or Linux can't (and Linux can do most of it better). Seriously, the OSX kernel is utter shyte when compared to the Linux kernel... And they're both based on Unix!

If the argument for Apple is hardware then... Well, lol.

---------- Post added 2012-08-02 at 03:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mafao View Post
    Read more carefully. What we say is that Macs don't cost twice as much as a windows PC or laptop with the same specs. They cost approximately the same
    as their Windows counterparts. There was a bunch of articles posted regarding this. See for example: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2010/02/...traight-scoop/
    Because Fox News is a really legit and trustworthy news source that never ever ever gets swayed in their "opinions" in favor of certain corporations.

The Monitors.

You are buying IPS panels that are rediculously priced.

So you take a 27" mac. The monitor alone is $1000 as it is an IPS panel with a very high resolution.

The OS and rest of that hardware cost hardly anything.

Also pretty much everything in Apple's website is pointed towards not knowing what you are buying or at what price. They show you only the price for upgrading something and they also don't show you the exact model of the component so you can't check the price directly and you assume that it's "top quality". The other reason is that they want you to think that everything is Apple made and not from some company like Sapphire or Western Digital. This is pretty heavy manipulation of the users and smells like a marketing scam.
    Edit:
    By quoting Fox News you are automatically disqualified from participating in any serious discussion anywhere in the world at any time.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2012-08-02 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsforyou View Post
    The Monitors.

You are buying IPS panels that are rediculously priced.

So you take a 27" mac. The monitor alone is $1000 as it is an IPS panel with a very high resolution.

The OS and rest of that hardware cost hardly anything.
    Both the Dell U2711 and the Yamakasi Q270 use the same panel
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    Both the Dell U2711 and the Yamakasi Q270 use the same panel
    The Catleap Uses rejected panels (panels that the major manufacturers decided not to use due to flaws) So the price will naturally be less.

Apple products just get the price all rolled into it.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...284&redirect=1 - $999 (Same panel that comes in all the 27" apple products)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Because Fox News is a really legit and trustworthy news source that never ever ever gets swayed in their "opinions" in favor of certain corporations.
    Try looking at who actually wrong the article Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    What can OSX do that Windows or Linux can't (and Linux can do most of it better). Seriously, the OSX kernel is utter shyte when compared to the Linux kernel... And they're both based on Unix!

If the argument for Apple is hardware then... Well, lol.[COLOR="red"]
    OSX compared to Windows, I think OSX just runs smoother. IMO. I use Linux myself

OSX compared to Windows, I think OSX just runs smoother. IMO. I use Linux myself
    Try windows 8. Absolutely smoothest OS i have ever used.

Lot smoother and fluid than OSX (IMO).

OSX compared to Windows, I think OSX just runs smoother.
    It doesn't.